Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How can WFT beat the Steelers?

TheShredder

One thing is for sure: Our corners can not play 10 yards off the whole game like they do every week. These Steelers don't dial up one bomb after another like they used to. They run a lot of quick passes and they are really good at it. Cannot give them free 5 yards on every attempt.

Jack Del Rio is going to watch this game and put together a game plan that can win.  It's going to be interesting to see what he comes up with.  Their run game doesn't produce, so wonder what he's going to do.

I think on offense you'll have to make them respect the run, so they'll spread them out.  Kinda like what they're good at.

8 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Jack Del Rio is going to watch this game and put together a game plan that can win.  It's going to be interesting to see what he comes up with.  Their run game doesn't produce, so wonder what he's going to do.

I think on offense you'll have to make them respect the run, so they'll spread them out.  Kinda like what they're good at.

I don't think we match up well. They run a really quick spread offense, we have trouble with QB's that can get the ball out as quick as they are. Night and day between first half Bengals and second half.

That said I'm excited for this game. Either we beat an undefeated team and make it know we mean business, or we lose and get closer to a new QB in the draft. Win-win.

11 hours ago, Panninho said:

One thing is for sure: Our corners can not play 10 yards off the whole game like they do every week. These Steelers don't dial up one bomb after another like they used to. They run a lot of quick passes and they are really good at it. Cannot give them free 5 yards on every attempt.

This.  Heard a stat this morning reference they aren't playing games where they throw it 50 times downfield and haven't the last 3 years.  They'll take their occasional shot but Ben can't take the hits.  One big key is Pouncey is out again its assumed and if you noticed yesterday Ben took 95% of his snaps out of shotgun.  His B/U center just came off the practice squad and he doesn't trust him. Finally, they've had trouble getting their running game going all year.  All this according to a Charlie Batch (radio guy for Steelers) interview I heard this morning.

8 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Once of the biggest keys to this game is that they don't come out flat.  This has always been the case with this franchise when coming off a bye or extended time off.  They need to come out strong and focused

That's been pointed to about 10x already, so you're not reading the posts.  The larger point that's been made is that they survive the first half and playing with a lead puts the Steelers in a position where those quick throws won't get the job done.  On Defense, both teams are rushing immobile QBs...would you rather have Chase Young and Montez Sweat or TJ Watt and Alex Highsmith (a rookie third-round pick)?  Clearly their Defense is a step behind if Cornelius Lucas can play LT vs a rookie 3rd rounder with 20 NFL snaps.  Turner neutralizes Watt by running at him and double teams. 

Are the Steelers the worst 11-0 team, ever ?

We will be so motivated for this game for several reasons

1 - We will be pumped up for the possibility of being the first team to beat them. That's the positive reinforcement. The next one is the negative reinforcement.

2 - They will be motivated to prevent an embarrassing drubbing on national TV, by what the public perceives as a great team.

3 - They have more confidence after clobbering Dallas 41-16

4 - Division title is within reach now, more than ever.

5 - They probably know Pittsburgh is over-rated, and not nearly as good as their record.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Who knows but Ben has a backup center and basically everything is shotgun and quick passes.  They know from last year that if Old Ben gets knocked out, their season is over.  I think Jack brings the house from different looks and Turner will run at the weak side and attack the middle.  Need a big game from Logan Thomas and AG.

21 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

That's been pointed to about 10x already, so you're not reading the posts.  The larger point that's been made is that they survive the first half and playing with a lead puts the Steelers in a position where those quick throws won't get the job done.  On Defense, both teams are rushing immobile QBs...would you rather have Chase Young and Montez Sweat or TJ Watt and Alex Highsmith (a rookie third-round pick)?  Clearly their Defense is a step behind if Cornelius Lucas can play LT vs a rookie 3rd rounder with 20 NFL snaps.  Turner neutralizes Watt by running at him and double teams. 

Everyone knows that getting a lead is key.  It's paramount no matter the sport.  Reading the posts as much you on here.  No reason for the unnecessary comment here.    😀  WFT needs to play to their strengths by running the ball and controlling the LOS so that Chase Montez can tee off instead of the other way around.  Let's see what happens.

What do guys think about empty sets playing a role throughout the game? 

Make their backers play in space and have to cover. The team appears to be in process of working to be an offense with many different faces: can pound it, spread you out, use backs in the passing game, and sprinkle Mcclaurin throughout. 

One of the frustrating things about the 3-4 in my time watching the team was the inability to attack spread attacks (it seemed in my laymen view, I understand the team wasn’t very good). Smith seems comfortable in this set.  

5 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Who knows but Ben has a backup center and basically everything is shotgun and quick passes.  They know from last year that if Old Ben gets knocked out, their season is over.  I think Jack brings the house from different looks and Turner will run at the weak side and attack the middle.  Need a big game from Logan Thomas and AG.

I'm actually a bit surprised that Ben is still starting, because didn't their FO attempt to draft his intended replacement over 2 years ago ?

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

All I have to say is, "Huh ?"

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

What do guys think about empty sets playing a role throughout the game? 

Make their backers play in space and have to cover. The team appears to be in process of working to be an offense with many different faces: can pound it, spread you out, use backs in the passing game, and sprinkle Mcclaurin throughout. 

One of the frustrating things about the 3-4 in my time watching the team was the inability to attack spread attacks (it seemed in my laymen view, I understand the team wasn’t very good). Smith seems comfortable in this set.  

Spreading out the defense is a strategy used for different reasons.  Empty backfields don't work well if your OL can't be trusted and QB can't scramble and isn't a rushing threat.  The empty backfields in WFT playbook start with spreads and RB outside then motion lines him up in the back. They do it opposite and Defenses audible blitz.  Happens all the time.  Add situations where it's obvious passing down and Alex gets sacked.

38 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We will be so motivated for this game for several reasons

1 - We will be pumped up for the possibility of being the first team to beat them. That's the positive reinforcement. The next one is the negative reinforcement.

2 - They will be motivated to prevent an embarrassing drubbing on national TV, by what the public perceives as a great team.

3 - They have more confidence after clobbering Dallas 41-16

4 - Division title is within reach now, more than ever.

5 - They probably know Pittsburgh is over-rated, and not nearly as good as their record.

and No WFT has beaten them in almost 30 years.  (So there's that.)

I just think it makes for must watch LIVE as it's December meaningful football. :cheers:

Saw the game versus Baltimore yesterday. Steelers are for real.

They play fast, much faster than us.

Also confirmed RG3 is terrible at QB, but that's not here nor there. Baltimore's a good team.

What is relevant is Pitt's outstanding front seven. Not sure how Smith comes out of this one.

If we win, this would be a franchise-changing moment. 

12 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Spreading out the defense is a strategy used for different reasons.  Empty backfields don't work well if your OL can't be trusted and QB can't scramble and isn't a rushing threat.  The empty backfields in WFT playbook start with spreads and RB outside then motion lines him up in the back. They do it opposite and Defenses audible blitz.  Happens all the time.  Add situations where it's obvious passing down and Alex gets sacked.

I disagree on the QB needing to scramble, many of the best are actually the direct opposite and the spread is a way to maximize their ability read a defense pre and post snap. The team has sprinkled this element in with Smith and wonder if this something they feel is ready to serve as a way to attack the Steeler defense. The success would largely be dependent on Smith and his ability to negate the rush altogether through quick reads. Not that this will be the lone way to attack but a wrinkle. 

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

Probably coach speak for the press and he's using that to fire his team up given that they're on an extremely short week.  

They had 99 problems, but now Washington is one of them, so now they have 100.

It was weird because he made it sound like the Skins were trash-talking them, but maybe the opposite occurs, and the Skins use his statement as bulletin material

Steelers lost Poncey so if we can put pressure on Ben up the middle and in his face real fast he will make errant throws. Believe they also lost one of their tackles so it should be possible to pressure Ben but you have to be fast. He gets rid of the ball in approx 2 1/2 seconds. Their O line is getting old and if Connor does not play their running game will suffer but there back up is good too. Good tackling is the key. No yards after catch. The Steelers always get a cheap TD from a int or fumble so no mistakes or penalties. I do not think playing in their stadium will be a factor as there are no fans or stupid towel waving. Watt got 2 sacks against Balt but he was not blocked on those plays so he had a free pass. He has to be blocked. We can win this game but we have to play era free. They only scored 19 points against the Ravens JV squad and 6 came off a pick 6. The Steelers are good but they are not the Chiefs, thay are beatable esp on a short week for them and a long rest for us. Cheers.

21 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We gotta find a way to pump ourselves up for the disadvantage of "their house".

When you're at a home game, the players easily pump themselves up by shouting this speech to the team "Are you gonna let this team just waltz into OUR HOUSE, and walk all over us ?!?"

So if it's an away game, how does that team pump themselves ? "Are you gonna make like burglars, and ready to break into THEIR HOUSE ?!? "

Given the franchise's history, I suggest they lead a discussion seminar about Westward expansion and 19th century America's approach to the native population setting up the country's economic power base, laying the groundwork to achieve global hegemony by the 20th century. Should really get 'em juiced up. 

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Given the franchise's history, I suggest they lead a discussion seminar about Westward expansion and 19th century America's approach to the native population setting up the country's economic power base, laying the groundwork to achieve global hegemony by the 20th century. Should really get 'em juiced up. 

Somehow, I feel like our TE named Hemingway would be very fond of that idea.

Archived