Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How can WFT beat the Steelers?

TheShredder

They must be able to run effectively.  One of the main issues is Heyward lining up on the TE (or strong side).  Steelers call this their over front.  Run away from the over shift. That is a simple idea and how Turner would counter their shift.  Cowboys actually did this before and it worked.

There's a detailed article here:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/film-room-how-the-cowboys-beat-the-steelers-vaunted-over-front/

StockDefense17.jpg

How to beat the Steelers? I actually don't think we'll be able to run the ball early or even in the 1st half. We have a nice formula throwing to the backs and then picking our spots to T-Mac. Defensively, we will need to beat up the Steelers offensive line while they are playing on such short rest. This should be a huuuuge advantage for our defense. Ben will hold the ball, get to him and disrupt what they do. We are trending up, I'm sure our guys are very excited for this game and Alex won't be intimidated having been through the AFC wars before. Just design plays where he can get the ball out of his hands quickly...

19 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I remember the last time they played the Steelers on MNF, the early portion of the game was going in this team's favor but they couldn't capitalize on anything and Pittsburgh slowly "got right" and eventually established themselves. 

What you remember of them the last time we played them is a good way to explain US this season. 

38 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The Steelers winning and remaining undefeated makes for a better chance that they go into next week relaxed and expecting a cakewalk while looking ahead to division games. 

A reverse way to look at it is this :

Maybe they're putting pressure on themselves to go undefeated through the whole regular season and post-season.

So, if they win against the Ravens, they'll continue their high standards, in hopes of being the first team in NFL history to go 19-0.

But if they lose, they might slack a little, knowing they no longer have a shot at that record, and therefore may not play with as much intensity.

I don't really believe in the "Pissed Off Theory, that if a team gets beat, especially beat badly, then they will come back with a vengeance.

Because recent history does not support that.

When Dallas got clobbered by Arizona 38-10, the week before their first game against us, everyone said, "OH NO, Dallas is going into next week's game against us, playing pissed, angry, and with a vengeance.

It was the opposite. We clobbered them 25-3.

So maybe wins and losses affect teams and players differently, just like ups and downs affect the average individuals differently ; Maybe some teams react to losses, as a motivation from being pissed off, while some teams react to losses with a lower sense of confidence

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't really believe in the "Pissed Off Theory, that if a team gets beat, especially beat badly, then they will come back with a vengeance.

Because recent history does not support that.

When Dallas got clobbered by Arizona 38-10, the week before their first game against us, everyone said, "OH NO, Dallas is going into next week's game against us, playing pissed, angry, and with a vengeance.

It was the opposite. We clobbered them 25-3

I think a close loss to the Griffin - led Ravens could absolutely irritate the ever loving snot out of them.

1 minute ago, Spearfeather said:

I think a close loss to the Griffin - led Ravens could absolutely irritate the ever loving snot out of them.

From what I've read, Jackson has been playing poorly for quite some time. At least from a throwing standpoint.

Griffin might even be a better passer than Jackson, as crazy as that might sound.

If they use him correctly, call the right plays, and the offense around him is clicking, I don't see why he could not make enough big plays to win the game.

So that would not surprise me actually.

Getting my first big look at them today  outside of highlights and bits & pieces, and my initial reaction is.....this is a 10-0 team? What has their schedule been like? I guess to be fair the Ravens are 6-4 and a division opponent so they are probably playing them pretty tight in most games regardless?

Seems like the key to the Steelers offense is protect Big Ben and let him stand back there with all day to throw. 

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Getting my first big look at them today  outside of highlights and bits & pieces, and my initial reaction is.....this is a 10-0 team? What has their schedule been like? I guess to be fair the Ravens are 6-4 and a division opponent so they are probably playing them pretty tight in most games regardless?

Seems like the key to the Steelers offense is protect Big Ben and let him stand back there with all day to throw. 

They look very beatable. Not at all like some juggernaut.

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The Steelers winning and remaining undefeated makes for a better chance that they go into next week relaxed and expecting a cakewalk while looking ahead to division games. 

I don't think that's Ben or Tomlin's mindset ever. 

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

They look very beatable. Not at all like some juggernaut.

This is my worry. They're making a ton of mistakes and I don't expect them to make the same ones on Monday. 

It is really going to be how much pressure they can put on Big Ben.  The few times he has been under duress (or worse) he is throwing bad passes but when he has all day to just stand there and go through his reads he eventually finds someone open.  Also for the defense, making tackles on WRs/RBs at the point of the catch and not letting them run another 10 yards. 

The Ravens might not have the personnel to play more man coverage, but they are giving us a preview of what happens when you play zone coverage without a pass rush that forces the QB to rush throws or throw off balance under pressure.

Archived