Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How can WFT beat the Steelers?

TheShredder

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Just think, we're planning for them right now as we speak. Right now, they're planning for the Ravens. I think that bodes well for us.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Meh, the Titans beat the Bills earlier this year with literally no practice time.

And conversely, we lost to the GIANTS, after a whole extra BYE WEEK

The key is going to be our defense against their offense, and specifically on early downs.  They need to force 2nd and 3rd and kings which means getting stops in the run game and incomplete passes on first and second down.

If you let the Steelers nickel and dime you, they’ll just walk up and down the field on you all day. 

If you put them in known passing situations and bring heat on Ben, you can get to him and he can make mistakes here and there. 

I think the key is averaging less than 4 yards defensively on first down.  If you can get them into an average of 2nd and 6+, you’re going to have some opportunities to make plays.  

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

But it’s hard to expect a win.

To beat the Steelers we will need to change up coverage looks a lot more often. Ben cannot be comfortable taking short passes to Claypool, Juju, etc. 

Offensively we need to limit turnovers, give our OL help and let Gibson and McKissick do the heavy lifting in run and pass. Hopefully that opens things up for McLaurin.

Expect a similar game production wise from Smith as last week regardless.

That's what I said before, their quick slants are killer and setup Big Ben deep dimes.  Have to get in there fast and survive 1on1 coverage. It's possible just not likely.  Now if Ben gets hit enough that old guy isn't holding up so well.  They gotta hit him early and often.

12 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Before the one liners start, like 'Send Big Ben a covid pizza'....

Haha nice try to cut some of that off.

I think Alex Smith can get us up to around 20 points or so in the game. If we are somewhat conservative on defence like we were against Dallas for the best part of 3 quarters, it will be too late.

We need to be extremely aggressive on defence from the start, go after Ben, and our DBs must play outstanding. 

We either end up there or then about’s in the 4th, or we get blown out by 40. No point in a slow death, let’s go after them.

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think Alex Smith can get us up to around 20 points or so in the game. If we are somewhat conservative on defence like we were against Dallas for the best part of 3 quarters, it will be too late.

Alex Smith has played the Steelers 6 times averaging 250 yards and 1 TD and .3 INT's but his record is 2-4, with the notable difference in the W's being the Steelers scored less than 20 points. So, you're right by the stats to beat them...gotta get to them early and hit Ben in the nuts!

8 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

They need to start fast and play loose.  Steelers D and O are just SiCK.  Impossible:  No.  Difficult:  Yes.  It's going to take a lot.

Steelers D is a bit better than WFT but not by much.  It's close but their Offense helps them out, so you need a lead. 

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Alex Smith has played the Steelers 6 times averaging 250 yards and 1 TD and .3 INT's but his record is 2-4, with the notable difference in the W's being the Steelers scored less than 20 points. So, you're right by the stats to beat them...gotta get to them early and hit Ben in the nuts!

and I didn’t even know those stats when I posted that. :ols:

this game will be a reminder of how much I would have liked Minkah Fitzpatrick on this team.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Game now being moved to Wednesday. Which would likely mean our game against the Steelers gets moved to Monday or Tuesday....which, after that, we’d have to travel to Arizona, to take on the 49ers, in an important game. 

well, the most surprising thing being we are heading into December and still have important games ahead. never seen that coming.

Ravens-Steelers pushed back to Wednesday now:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30423599/baltimore-ravens-pittsburgh-steelers-game-postponed-again-wednesday-source-says

Rest could be non-existent for them or WFT/Steelers could be moved to accommodate

27 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Game now being moved to Wednesday. Which would likely mean our game against the Steelers gets moved to Monday or Tuesday....which, after that, we’d have to travel to Arizona, to take on the 49ers, in an important game. 

That's what I was fearing.  A possible prime time game and then having to travel out west on short rest.  So screwed. 

With the Steelers about to go against the team w/ one of the largest outbreaks in professional sports, the easiest way to beat them would be for the Ravens to pass their problems onto Pitt.

Then they get put into a Denver scenario where half their squad is ineligible when they face us.

Nobody wants to win like that tho.

I don't want this team to use the Visitors Locker Room in Pittsburgh after Baltimore. Don't care if it's been days and they bring in industrial cleaning crews. Something seems up with how Baltimore has been handing COVID for a while now. Just enough time for them go to Pittsburgh, get more Steelers infected and then they play us.

Archived