Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAT: After a summer of racial reckoning, is America ready to learn the truth about Thanksgiving?

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

Thanksgiving, like Christmas, Halloween and any national holiday is not about history to me. It’s about what it is now and the traditions that I’ve established. So Thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have in your life, and food, and football.

This is where I am. 

I mean I understand the history. 

and by all means if for some reason you insist on making sure I understand the history, then fine. I can humor that even if it’s the same person every time pulling the same shtick with the same people, every time pretending they’re just on a mission of enlightening everyone (which are the same people every year and so everyone’s already aware.) that’s fine I can humor it. 

but if we’re gonna start demanding people give up thanksgiving (or any holiday) traditions on those grounds then kindly go kick rocks somewhere else. 

This thanksgiving is already ruined for me. So I don’t really have a lot of room for entertaining someone trying to ruin it further at the moment. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Just now, thelongestbreath said:

I've learned it's just easier to leave with my wife and child quickly when the message becomes too godly.  It's just easier and helps keep the peace.  People are entitled to their opinion, and my family at least follows the views vs just cherry picking what they want to so there's that **shrugs shoulders**.

See...my sister is a born again...when she started going off on other religions I just pointed out that all religions are worshiping the same God...even in a polytheistic religion I could prove it...

She hated that...lol 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

I hope not. Hate seeing the draft position go up and up. At this rate we might **** around and make the playoffs.

As if drafting position matters for us 😂

we **** up across the board bro let us draft wherever it’ll be a disaster 😂

• Like 1

Anything done by humans throughout history is going to have elements which are out of touch with the times, imperfect, politically incorrect, racist, sexist, or something. It's inevitable. So, we can either choose to accept things in the context of the era they existed or we can try to re-start and redefine everything every 3 years. 

Five years ago, most of this board thought the idea of the Redskins name being racist was outlandish and just "hate" against the organization. Now, the name change is accepted by many of those same people as reasonable and appropriate. Times change. Attitudes evolve. 

If we discover that Vince Lombardi once said something racist or called one of his players a Negro, are we going to rename the NFL's Super Bowl trophy? 

• Like 3

Also I’ve never celebrated thanksgiving as being about the creation of America. Never. 

it’s always been what Springfield said. Family, food, and football (both watching and playing in the annual neighborhood game which seems to occur every year regardless of where I move to. In fact I just busted out last years jersies for this year the other day)

if I’m going to celebrate the creation of this place I do it on July 4th. And that’s by far my favorite holiday. It’s not even close. You get to blow **** up, drink all day, grill out all day, and I’m always on the water (mostly at a lake)

and it has none of the baggage of gift giving, family relationship issues, nor spending five hours cooking and stressing out about food. 

Also Fourth of July is the only holiday where all the chicks are in bathing suites so it’s got that going for it too

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This will probably be my best Thanksgiving yet.  The reason I gave for not visiting family is actually true this year.

People ask me if I miss having my family (who all still live in various parts of Europe) around at Thanksgiving.

I’m not shy to tell anyone who asks that we literally moved across an ocean to avoid social contact with some of them.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Nah...we just don't know how to draft QBs....

Or wide receivers. 
or tight ends

or defensive backs

we do well on punters. Although it’s hard to tell if that’s because we draft excellent punters, or if the punters we draft just get a lot of experience to hone their craft once here. 

4 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

People ask me if I miss having my family (who all still live in various parts of Europe) around at Thanksgiving.

I’m not shy to tell anyone who asks that we literally moved across an ocean to avoid social contact with some of them.

I’m trying to figure out what my excuse will be once I retire from the military here soon.  I don’t think “uhh....I have duty that day” will still fly.

• Haha 1
Just now, tshile said:

Or wide receivers. 
or tight ends

or defensive backs

we do well on punters. Although it’s hard to tell if that’s because we draft excellent punters, or if the punters we draft just get a lot of experience to hone their craft once here. 

See..I would normally agree...but..we drafted some very good WRs, DBs, and TEs in the past

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Keeping with the menu at the first Thanksgiving Dinner, Chief Massasoit always made the sweet potato casserole with jumbo campfire marshmallows.

HISTORICAL FACT!

Whereas the Pilgrims used **** willow buds in their s'mores,

4 hours ago, Xameil said:

Oh and edit: you're not being a hypocrite because you know there's another side of the story. Anyone who's seen Addams Family Values knows...Wednesday Addams did a great soliloquy on it...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In the 1620s, Plymouth Plantation had its own #MeToo moment

In the many celebrations, reflections and histories of Plymouth colony, the settlement’s gender dynamics often get short shrift.

But not unlike today, men possessed power and privilege, women feared voicing their views and experiences, and the authorities debated how to respond to accusations of impropriety.

Original writings about the first New England settlement that I researched while writing my new book, “The World of Plymouth Plantation,” reveal that Plymouth dealt with sexual assault allegations in the early days of the colony.

In this one incident, a man named John Lyford was found guilty of rape in Ireland and driven out of his community. This left him free to take his predatory ways to another place: Plymouth Plantation.

Click on the link for the full story

Edited by China
2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Columbus Day shouldn’t be celebrated because Europeans treated Indians horribly. We should feel guilty about thanksgiving for the same reason. And the 4th of of July for the same reason.

live in guilt if you’d like, I’ll take the turkey 👍  

Columbus Day isn’t really celebrated as it is, and the guy was absolute scum.  The deeper you dive the more horrors you find.  We should cancel that and make Election Day a federal holiday.  Otherwise I agree that guilt can be sort of silly.  Unless someone comes up with a time machine, no one alive today should feel guilt for actions that preceded their birth, often by hundreds of years.  

Feeling strongly about stuff, and telling everyone about it, can sometimes be just like everyones favorite “thoughts and prayers.”  If feelings don’t turn to actions, what good are they?  

That said an accurate version of history is important.  If we’re to grow as a people we can’t hide from the bad stuff.  The villains of history need to be recognized as such, even if people prefer they’d be heroes.  We should also teach some Native American history, including the bad stuff.  

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I swear until last year I never heard it called dressing.

Person was like "my favorite on TG is dressing!"

I said "what like 1,000 Island???"

Wait what?  Some people call stuffing “dressing”?  

• Like 1