Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Cincy

All this "if Burrow didn't get injured" talk is just bull****. It's not like they played the rest of the game without a QB. They played their second string guy, and our third string guy beat them.

**** happens, it's how you deal with it that counts.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, London Kev said:

All this "if Burrow didn't get injured" talk is just bull****. It's not like they played the rest of the game without a QB. They played their second string guy, and our third string guy beat them.

**** happens, it's how you deal with it that counts.

I think we would have lost the game to be honest. The way he was moving the ball with ease, sustaining long drives, our defense would have been absolutely gassed by the fourth quarter. 

Also, comparing Alex Smith to Ryan Findlay is sort of absurd.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Burrow got injured on a incomplete pass on 3rd down, we scored a TD on our next possession to go up 14-9, how are we definitely going to lose the game, the Bengals had 8 total yards in 3 possessions with Burrow to start the 2nd half. 

Just an opinion but the score didn’t indicate how much better the Bengals are. They were moving the ball at will against us, missed FG, missed extra point, and a crazy play that only chase young can make its 17-7....burrow doesn’t get hurt they continue to move the ball at will and score at least twice. 

With Joe Burrow they are far and away a better team that the Football team 

1 minute ago, Hdf561 said:

Just an opinion but the score didn’t indicate how much better the Bengals are. They were moving the ball at will against us, missed FG, missed extra point, and a crazy play that only chase young can make its 17-7....burrow doesn’t get hurt they continue to move the ball at will and score at least twice. 

We have been a far better second half team ALL year. We’ve been losing primarily because we get down by double digits in the first. We came out in the second half and shut Burrow down before he got injured and the offense came out firing. The defense sucked in the first half but made the plays and stops when they needed to. 

Given how we’ve played in the second half all year and with the evidence in front of us that it was more of the same today I’m shocked at those of you that are just assuming we would have lost. Sure we suck. But so do they. Burrow is good, but we came out ready to roll in the second half and I don’t think anyone would say we are definitively better or worse than the bengals with or without Burrow. 

• Like 1

The reality is that wins and losses probably don't matter so much this year. What we need to do is develop players, incorporate discipline, and correct mistakes. That makes the continuing first half trudges frustrating and second half surges intriguing. It also makes the growth of players like Gibson, Wright, and others worth noting. This year, I want to see a tough team that hustles, competes, and improves. Next year, I want to see a team that wins, dominates, and humiliates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

Far and away the better team? The fact that they allowed Burrow to be hit and knocked out of the game is part of how teams win or lose games....To say the Bengals are "far and away" the better team is a stretch imo....in fact, they're not even the better team, with or without Burrow. Better offense...Yes, better team...Nope.

• Like 3

Winning the division in year one of a team rebranding would be a good story.

Winning it with a historically bad record would make it a unique footnote that will be remembered for the rest of NFL history. 

KindheartedRightCrayfish-small.gif

No one's going to remember the Open 10 years from now, who won, who lost..but they'll remember your 12 Roy! My, God, it was...well, it's immortal!

Talk about building from the ground up?  Can't be more "ground floor" than the lowest record in NFL history to earn a playoff berth.  I actually think its a cool story.

Playing Dallas for first place in the division on Thanksgiving is the best anyone can hope for from a football season.  The dumpster fire of 2020 and the entire NFC East, our head coach beating cancer, our Montgomery Burns team owner reaching outlandish new lows, all just add to the crazy storyline.  

This is the most excited and interested I've been all season.  These are the types of footnotes and oddball memories that fans remember for years to come.  Screw the record, screw the tank, and enjoy the once in a lifetime season were having.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Mm yeah you're right. Still, the Bengals offense went 3 and out twice in a row with Burrow in the game to open the 2nd half before he got hurt. Our D might have made some adjustments to play better.

Which, in fairness, has happened just about every game of the season. So there’s no reason to think they couldn’t have done it in this game, and they started to do it before Burrow went out.  

Actually being down 2 points at the half, we were in pretty good shape.  The one thing you have to give this coaching staff, they have done exceptionally well at half time adjustments. 

2 hours ago, Hdf561 said:

But really, other than the names, isn't that the story of the Washington Football Team?  Norv Turner was *famous* for moving the ball at will only to miss a FG, turn the ball over, get a stupid penalty, and lose the game.  Nice to see it happen to someone else for a chance.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm pretty sure it was Apke taking a decent angle that forced Burrow to step inside and get mauled by Young on the goal line.

So.... Improvement?

Apke completely whiffed the tackle.  

41 minutes ago, 09 said:

Apke completely whiffed the tackle.  

Misses the tackle, but the angle was perfect. It looks bad from the side, but it looks pretty good from the behind the goal line view. Check the second replay on this vid

His angle on the play was so good, it cut Burrow to 3 options:

1.) Get the F down (even on 4th down it aint worth it early in the game)

2.) Get killed by Apke

3.) Step inside to avoid Apke and allow Chase Young to commit legal homicide.

Burrow chose the worst possible option. That play is a TD 10/10 times if Apke blows that angle. Props to Young for both chasing and finishing, but Apke funneled Burrow right into oncoming traffic.

Would it have been better if he made the tackle himself? Sure, but footballs a team game, and he had to see his team had numbers to the ball. He ensured the outside was not an option and forced Burrow to get to the endzone the hard way.

Easily one of the best plays Apke has made all year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice win and i'll take it. How the game would've played out had Burrow not gotten hurt? Nobody knows and it doesn't matter, we won and are playing for first place on Thanksgiving against Dallas. Regardless of the bad records, who wouldn't have signed up for that in August? I've been a fan for 46 years and anytime we're in the hunt and playing for something this late in the season, i'm not taking it for granted. I'll worry about draft position once we've been officially eliminated from contention and I'm sure Rivera is thinking the same way.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Del Rio needs to come up with a better strategy for when the opposing offense uses quick passes to cut down on the effectiveness of the pass rush.  When Burrow was in the game it was the same story over and over, 3 step drop, ball out, completion....YAC.   I understand the strategy of limiting the offense to short passes by not letting the receivers behind you, but that isn't going to get the offense off the field if you aren't in position to make tackles once the completion is made.  When all a QB has to do all game long is throw the ball a few yards at a time, it becomes very easy for them. 

Burrow was great at those quick passes, he seems to have good vision of what's available, but yes, we have to come up with a way to nullify those quick passes or the defense will never get off the field.

I think the receivers and OL are lulling me into a false sense of security, they both seem to be coming on as the season progresses. Still not great by any means, but decent. Maybe less repair work required than expected.

I posted in the Smith thread, he has real value. Without QB depth your whole plan is screwed. Dilemma for next year re his contract. 

The teams would look so much better with a spine on defence, MLB, SS, FS. Although Curl is deserving of his shot.

I still think we suck at TE.

QB, TE, OT 

LB, FS

No reason why we shouldn’t be able to drastically improve this roster in 2021.

What's sad is that I was high on Finley and Grier as alternatives to Haskins / Jones / Lock. 1.5 years later and it definitely seems like there is separation between the first QB taken, the next 3 and the rest. Maybe these guys have some games to come in and establish themselves but this is not looking good for them right now. 

6 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Misses the tackle, but the angle was perfect. It looks bad from the side, but it looks pretty good from the behind the goal line view. Check the second replay on this vid

His angle on the play was so good, it cut Burrow to 3 options:

1.) Get the F down (even on 4th down it aint worth it early in the game)

2.) Get killed by Apke

3.) Step inside to avoid Apke and allow Chase Young to commit legal homicide.

Burrow chose the worst possible option. That play is a TD 10/10 times if Apke blows that angle. Props to Young for both chasing and finishing, but Apke funneled Burrow right into oncoming traffic.

Would it have been better if he made the tackle himself? Sure, but footballs a team game, and he had to see his team had numbers to the ball. He ensured the outside was not an option and forced Burrow to get to the endzone the hard way.

Easily one of the best plays Apke has made all year.

same angle against arizona.   with all respect ... he got smoked ... again.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 09 said:

same angle against arizona.   with all respect ... he got smoked ... again.

Not the same.

Apke took a straight line to Burrow. On this play against Murray, his angle is so bad that he has to adjust so radically at the 5 yard line that he changes from a downhill runner to going completely horizontal along the field. That costs both momentum and time while giving away physical leverage and increasing the degree of difficulty for tackling a elusive player. That play was a horrible angle.

When you have to make like a 70 degree adjustment to get to a ball carrier, its probably not a good path. You expect little adjustments, but Apke basically ran an up and out route to get to Kyler there.

Not that taking a great angle ensures you'll make the play, but it makes things a lot easier, The NFL is full of athletes, and they can make you miss.