Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Blues thread

Spaceman Spiff

There was an older one of these, started a long time ago and it's now locked.

I love the blues, I think it's the perfect music.  From sitting at my desk and working, to a road trip to sitting outside and drinking whiskey and smoking cigars with friends, it always has a place.  

Pitchfork yesterday wrote a review yesterday on John Lee Hooker's It Serve You Right to Suffer:  https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/john-lee-hooker-it-serve-you-right-to-suffer/

It's been on a loop practically all day.

Another favorite:  

Share, discuss, recommend, etc.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I may have relayed this story in the original blues thread, but my freshman year of college I went to a concert on campus for Willie Dixon and the Chicago Blues Allstars.  Small venue.  My friend and I yelled out for this song and they played it (you may recognize it as a song Cream covered):

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

That Death Letter Blues song gets me every time.  

Kids, go listen to a **** ton of Muddy Waters, B.B. King. Buddy Guy, Howlin' Wolf, Albert King, Junior Wells and then get back to me. 😃 

Don't forget Freddie King, Otis Rush, Magic Sam, Albert Collins, Earl Hooker and Elmore James. 😉

• Like 4

Realized after picking drums back up again that this song is incredibly difficult, for one reason.

DISCIPLINE.

Technically simple, but the temptations Bonzo went thru as an all-time savant...to keep the rhythm without showboating more than one time...near the end with that 16th note roll...is incredibly difficult.

I want to improvise so badly when playing this song on drums.  The challenge is not to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some more essential Delta Blues recordings:

Willie Brown - M&O Blues

Tommy Johnson - Canned Heat Blues

Skip James - Hard Times Killin Floor Blues

Robert Johnson - Terraplane Blues

19 hours ago, JCB said:

Man, I'd say the kids should go back to Blind Willie Johnson! Dark was the Night, Cold was the Ground, baby.

One of the most incredible songs and recordings of American Music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MintHillSkinsFan said:

Tab Benoit and Sonny Landreth are a couple of my more modern favorites.

I really like Tab Benoit. Found his music while listening to Clapton & other blues music on Pandora.

This guy was damn good, too - Alvin Lee former guitarist from Ten Years After. Sadly, he passed away in 2013.

• Like 3

Big friend of the Blues for many years. DC was a great area for it growing up, spent many a night at The Birchmere, and Danny Gatton’s Beneath it All. 

My best friend in the world still plays in a local VA band in the Charlottesville area named, The Jon Spear Band. He’s the bass player. We grew up together in Arlington, and they play in that area from time to time (State Theatre, JR’s). Here’s a taste:

Dara, lead vocals, lead guitar, is an amazing talent, despite a right hand deformity.

4 hours ago, MintHillSkinsFan said:

Tab Benoit and Sonny Landreth are a couple of my more modern favorites.

You Mint Hill, NC? If so, I live in Dilworth.

• Like 2