Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington Football Team at Detroit Football Team

TK

1 hour ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

On the bright side this upcoming draft has a TON of linebackers, I'm trying to remember the last time a draft was so full of them. I mean good chance you'll probably be able to grab a starter even in the 5th and 6th rounds.

Bet we skip it again like 2 years ago when it was deep af at TE

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

On the opening drive Alex Smith didn't seem to have an issue throwing the ball downfield, then the Lions changed something up in their pass rush and now the O-line can't hold blocks for more then 2 seconds. 

Exactly.  That first drive (till it stalled) looked really nice.  Since then our offense has looked very Meh.

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Chase Young & Montez Sweat's names haven't been called too much at all in the 1st half.  I am assuming Chase is being double-teamed since he usually always is, but all that means is no one else on the line can beat their 1 blocker.  

Yeah I’ve been watching Chase some, they have been double teaming him when I’ve paid attention to him 

I've seen some debate about linebackers on here.  It is not a matter of needing "blue chippers" at the position (although having at least 1 of the 3 be that would help matters) however if they aren't going to be elite, the one thing they need is speed to help contain those outside runs.  It seems like every single run to the outside, the RB always turns the corner for a big run if they get past the initial D-lineman.  There is almost never a linebacker there by the time they turn upfield.  That is a problem. 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They don’t play that fast but its more than just pure speed. Its playmaking instinct as well. Like what D Jax had. 

Mclaurin certainly is a playmaker.  Are we saying he's not?  And they drafted Gibson purely for his Swiss army knife playmaking ability and proceeded to make him a full time RB and almost exclusively hand it off. 

I think Sims Jr just hasn't gotten out of the starting gate this year.  The optimism coming out of last year was he kinda showed potential with the ball in his hands.  

I think it's inexperience and usage.  I dont know if our OC is equipped to utilize these people to the best of their ability.

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Chase Young & Montez Sweat's names haven't been called too much at all in the 1st half.  I am assuming Chase is being double-teamed since he usually always is, but all that means is no one else on the line can beat their 1 blocker.  

The Young gets doubled narrative is overblown. He gets locked down by RTs one on one. 

The fact that none of the RB's can establish themselves in the running game makes it even more head-scratching of a decision to release AP.  Gibson has the physical tools, but it is obvious that due to his inexperience it is going to take time for him to actually learn the X's & Os's of the position. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

A free safety and linebackers would make the D much better.

Offensively a quarterback, a lineman or two and a tight end is the bare bones stuff.

FS has been an issue forever with this team, but yeah, we totally need a bully in the middle. Thought Collins could do it, but he was miscast then injured. Apke really wasn't awful, but also injured. Its really frustrating. The worst is seeing such a talented line get abused by fans who don't see it. Those guys must be so aggravated. 

Archived