Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to fix the Democratic Party

Larry

Left laughs off floated changes to 2024 ticket

Progressives are openly frustrated as the Biden administration flounders on issues across the board, but they are dismissing outright suggestions that previous party leaders — or, worse, Republicans — could be the solution.

The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Week all devoted real estate in their opinion sections this week to potential big names, including Hillary Clinton, to replace either President Biden or Vice President Harris on Democrats’ next White House ticket.

The problem? They have essentially no new relevance or natural links to 2024.

“Democrats have a rich history of bringing old-school politicians out of the stables for a comeback and having them get slaughtered,” said Adam Green, co-founder of the Progressive Campaign Change Committee. “Not just Hillary Clinton in 2016 but Senate candidates like Ted Strickland in Ohio, Russ Feingold in Wisconsin, Phil Bredesen in Tennessee and Walter Mondale in Minnesota."

“We need forward-looking leaders who stand for a new vision and not the politics of yesteryear that everybody hates,” Green said.

The Times’s most well-known foreign affairs columnist, Thomas Friedman, raised eyebrows when he argued for a Biden-Cheney general election ticket, in which Biden would theoretically push aside his current vice president, the first Black woman to hold that position, for Rep. Liz Cheney (Wyo.), a white Republican conservative and staunch anti-Trump lawmaker.

When Harris was asked about that prospect, she dismissed it nonchalantly, likening the question to senseless chattering from media elites. 

“I really could care less about the high-class gossip on these issues,” she told NBC News on Thursday.

While Harris has never been top on progressives’ lists for a strong running mate, the thought of Cheney, who voted along GOP party lines during much of Trump’s presidency, replacing her is too much for those on the left to entertain.

“They need to find new content to write,” said Michael Ceraso, a progressive consultant and alum of Sen. Bernie Sanders’s (I-Vt.) first presidential campaign. 

“It can start by these writers moving beyond the past and imagining a future where progressive ideas are front and center,” Ceraso added. 

Liberals are also dissatisfied with what they see as a lack of meaningful progress on police reform, student loan debt and climate change.

All of that has led to a sense of aimless hypothesizing about what else could be out there, one senior progressive aide said. But few take it very seriously. 

“None of this is real,” the aide said. “It's just no one knows what to do since voting rights is dead and BBB is in complete stall.”

Another progressive strategist added that there is “no hero that can save Democrats from themselves.”

Click on the link for the full article

The Dems really need to be focused on winning this year. I'm not just talking about the US House and Senate.

Besides the US House and Senate, they need to focus on Governorships, Secretary of States, Local Election Board- any entity that control elections.

Trump/GOP is trying to get his maga people controlling things in key states; so that the GOP can steal the election in 24.  Doesn't matter if Dems won; they will declare Dem votes invalid and throw them out and give the victory to Trump.

I don't think the Dems realize just how much is at stake this year.  Are all those crazy magas going to win?  No.  Enough of them will though, to give Trump or Desantis or whoever the election in 24. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Democratic Power Brokers Are Abandoning Kyrsten Sinema

Last week, Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) took the Senate floor and announced that she would never, under any circumstances, vote to curtail the filibuster. It dealt a coup de grace to what could be the Democrats’ last (and best) chance at federal voting rights reform, enraged Arizona organizers who worked to get her elected in 2018, and fell squarely in line with her self-appointed role as the avatar of Senate obstructionism. 

Five days later, the backlash from progressives and party activists started to arrive. The powerful pro-choice Democratic group EMILY’s List, one of Sinema’s top financial backers, announced on Tuesday that it would no longer support the senator in future elections if she continues to block the voting legislation.

“Right now, Sen. Sinema’s decision to reject the voices of allies, partners and constituents who believe the importance of voting rights outweighs that of an arcane process means she will find herself standing alone in the next election,” wrote the organization’s president, Laphonza Butler, in a public statement. 

Hours after EMILY’s List released its statement, reproductive rights group NARAL issued a similar announcement, saying that it wouldn’t endorse “any U.S. Senator who doesn’t support changing the Senate rules to pass voting rights legislation.” 

• 2 weeks later...

Billionaire Republican backer donates to Manchin after he killed key Biden bill

A billionaire Republican donor and Trump supporter donated the maximum allowed amount to Joe Manchin after the West Virginia Democrat sank Joe Biden’s signature domestic spending plan.

The Build Back Better plan sought to boost health and social care, and to help combat the climate crisis, at a price tag of $1.75tn.

Manchin, one of two key swing votes in the 50-50 Senate, used a Fox News Sunday interview in December to say he was finally a “no” on the legislation.

The move appeared to surprise Biden, and enraged progressives, but Ken Langone was presumably delighted.

The co-founder of Home Depot and author of a 2018 book called I Love Capitalism! had signaled his support for Manchin before the senator made his move on Build Back Better.

“I don’t see leadership any place in this country. Thank God for Joe Manchin,” Langone told CNBC in November. “I’m going to have one of the biggest fundraisers I’ve ever had for him. He’s special. He’s precious. He’s a great American.”

Main problem I see with the Dems is that as a party they are ready to go more progressive but there are small pockets of the country where progressives can't get elected so it is damn near impossible for them to be a united front on anything.  You also have a situation where no matter how centrist a President they elect, they will always be defending the policies of the most left members of the party due to the dishonesty in the media.  Biden is basically defending Bernie's policies despite his policies being nothing of the sort.

Next time just nominate a progressive, let them actually defend the progressive policies that are popular.  Get out there and say yes, the poor and middle class despite political party are being ripped off and it's long overdue that changes.  Bernie is too old, AOC not seasoned enough, there has to be someone that can split the difference. Perhaps a Katie Porter type who is popular even being in a not so progressive district of CA.  Her policies are progressive but she doesn't come off like a Bernie type. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Main problem I see with the Dems is that as a party they are ready to go more progressive but there are small pockets of the country where progressives can't get elected so it is damn near impossible for them to be a united front on anything.  You also have a situation where no matter how centrist a President they elect, they will always be defending the policies of the most left members of the party due to the dishonesty in the media.  Biden is basically defending Bernie's policies despite his policies being nothing of the sort.

Next time just nominate a progressive, let them actually defend the progressive policies that are popular.  Get out there and say yes, the poor and middle class despite political party are being ripped off and it's long overdue that changes.  Bernie is too old, AOC not seasoned enough, there has to be someone that can split the difference. Perhaps a Katie Porter type who is popular even being in a not so progressive district of CA.  Her policies are progressive but she doesn't come off like a Bernie type. 

If the democrats were not bold face Liars they could perhaps do something.

the collect more money from Wall Street then the republicans 

they are more anti freedom then republicans (many republicans want to impose their morals in the law- while democrats want to ban opinions different then what they aprove)

They talk about being for the working people but never do anything to help them. 

the two parties are almost the same other then the issue of abortion and gun control. 

spending is not a problem , taxes are not a problem (Dems just want more taxes then the gop)

we are screwed no matter who is in power and progressive are in my opinion a very dangerous group to put in power .

On 1/29/2022 at 11:57 AM, China said:

Billionaire Republican backer donates to Manchin after he killed key Biden bill

A billionaire Republican donor and Trump supporter donated the maximum allowed amount to Joe Manchin after the West Virginia Democrat sank Joe Biden’s signature domestic spending plan.

The Build Back Better plan sought to boost health and social care, and to help combat the climate crisis, at a price tag of $1.75tn.

Manchin, one of two key swing votes in the 50-50 Senate, used a Fox News Sunday interview in December to say he was finally a “no” on the legislation.

The move appeared to surprise Biden, and enraged progressives, but Ken Langone was presumably delighted.

The co-founder of Home Depot and author of a 2018 book called I Love Capitalism! had signaled his support for Manchin before the senator made his move on Build Back Better.

“I don’t see leadership any place in this country. Thank God for Joe Manchin,” Langone told CNBC in November. “I’m going to have one of the biggest fundraisers I’ve ever had for him. He’s special. He’s precious. He’s a great American.”

And right there is the problem - people should only be able to donate to someone they can actually vote for. 
if we put that in place it would fix a lot of the problems of outside influences on local elections

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

they are more anti freedom then republicans

The same Republicans what attempted a coup d'etat a little over a year ago? 🤭

38 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

They talk about being for the working people but never do anything to help them. 

Tough to pass any meaningful legislation when the opposition either votes against every proposal made or just never puts it to a vote. 🤷

Remind me again which party wants to invest in good-paying jobs, raise the minimum wage, strengthen overtime rules, invest in apprenticeships and high-quality training, protect workers from exploitation, and protect retirement security? It certainly ain't the Republicans. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, clietas said:

The same Republicans what attempted a coup d'etat a little over a year ago? 🤭

Tough to pass any meaningful legislation when the opposition either votes against every proposal made or just never puts it to a vote. 🤷

Remind me again which party wants to invest in good-paying jobs, raise the minimum wage, strengthen overtime rules, invest in apprenticeships and high-quality training, protect workers from exploitation, and protect retirement security? It certainly ain't the Republicans. 🙂

The minimum wage keeps wages down it does nothing to increase wages.

and you are way out of line if you really think what you are saying there.

the democrats are the main force for bringing in low skill immigrate workers to keep wages down .

• Thumb down 1

4 hours ago, tomwvr said:

the democrats are the main force for bringing in low skill immigrate workers to keep wages down .

They trucking em in? Caravans! 🤣

Immigrants are generally the hardest workers in our society. They come here to start businesses, go to school, and work **** jobs nobody else will touch. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, clietas said:

They trucking em in? Caravans! 🤣

Immigrants are generally the hardest workers in our society. They come here to start businesses, go to school, and work **** jobs nobody else will touch. 

And they do low wage jobs. My point is that if the government (both parties) didn’t allow this those types of jobs would have higher wages 

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Dem Senator from NM had a stroke. He expects to recover. If he’s not back by the time Joe’s SC nominee is put up; the nomination could be doa.

They will just delay the vote until they can come back to the senate 

This is the messaging I want to hear from Democratic Party:

https://news.yahoo.com/aoc-capitalism-not-redeemable-system-110000599.html

So to me, capitalism at its core, what we're talking about when we talk about that, is the absolute pursuit of profit at all human, environmental, and social cost. That is what we're really discussing.  And what we're also discussing is the ability for a very small group of actual capitalists-- and that is people who have so much money that their money makes money, and they don't have to work. And they can control industry. They can control our energy sources.

They can control our labor. They can control massive markets that they dictate and can capture governments. And they can essentially have power over the many. And to me that is not a redeemable system for us to be able to participate in for the prosperity and peace for the vast majority of people.

If they all SPOKE and ACTED on this, I think more people would vote Democratic. 

Unfortunately, even in California a single payer health bill was killed in the legislature due to doubts on its cost.  Advocates need to show the high administrative cost and waste in the current system.

• Thumb up 1

On 2/2/2022 at 8:22 AM, tomwvr said:

The minimum wage keeps wages down it does nothing to increase wages.

and you are way out of line if you really think what you are saying there.

Can you cite something that says that minimum keeps wages down or immigrant workers keep wages down?

(To my knowledge, the relationship between wages and immigrants keeping wages down is best mixed.  E.g.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-immigrations-real-impact-on-us-wages/)

In the absence of low skill workers, companies have options other than increasing wages, including out sourcing and automation.

I'm also not sure if Democrats are really the driving force.  E.g. 

https://nypost.com/2019/04/06/trump-admin-to-issue-an-additional-30k-temporary-work-visas/

(And the H-2B visa program was started under Reagan so I think it isn't hard to argue that the Republicans have been the primary driving force.  Not saying the Democrats couldn't do more to slow down immigration if they wanted to do, but the picture of Republicans as tough on immigration and the Democrats doing nothing doesn't match reality.)

• Thumb up 1

On 2/2/2022 at 2:23 PM, Captain Wiggles said:

Your point is that you have no real point. It's all buzzwords and delusions. 🤣

Sure absolutely, government has its fingers in way too many things and both these political parties only care about what is best for their party and keeping power. Not what is the right thing for the people.

if our two parties cared they would not be doing what they are doing 

7 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Can you cite something that says that minimum keeps wages down or immigrant workers keep wages down?

(To my knowledge, the relationship between wages and immigrants keeping wages down is best mixed.  E.g.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-immigrations-real-impact-on-us-wages/)

In the absence of low skill workers, companies have options other than increasing wages, including out sourcing and automation.

I'm also not sure if Democrats are really the driving force.  E.g. 

https://nypost.com/2019/04/06/trump-admin-to-issue-an-additional-30k-temporary-work-visas/

(And the H-2B visa program was started under Reagan so I think it isn't hard to argue that the Republicans have been the primary driving force.  Not saying the Democrats couldn't do more to slow down immigration if they wanted to do, but the picture of Republicans as tough on immigration and the Democrats doing nothing doesn't match reality.)

The republicans used to do this so their big business partners would have low wage workers. The democrats used to do it to try to get more voters for their party. Now both parties do it to help their big business partners and they both think they can get more low wage immigrant workers to vote for them.

• Thumb down 1

Ikr? All the ACA did was save lives while reducing the cost and improving the quality of health care. Clearly the right thing to do would have been to do nothing at all. And what's the deal with social security and medicare? I mean those programs only help the deep state capitalists by filling their coffers. 🤪

I realize that was the goal of the ACA but I’m not aware of anything showing they achieved their goal. 

At best they can try to claim they reduced the rate at which costs were increasing. *

one good example - part of their cost savings in ACA was based on access to primary care physicians being cheaper and easier, therefore people would stop using the ED as a primary care option (obviously super expensive); except people didn’t really stop… so that cost savings was never realized. 

been a while since I dug into it, maybe things have changed, but my understanding is the ACA fell far short of its goals **

(* the pandemic has ravaged healthcare so I’m not sure how to judge this. Do we stop at end of 2019? Is there a way to factor in/out the covid problem? 🤷‍♂️)

(** not that I want to debate the specifics but at least in some level the inability of the ACA to reach its goals was and is definitely caused by the GOO refusing to work to make it better, and actively working to sabotage it)

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tomwvr said:

if our two parties cared they would not be doing what they are doing 

The republicans used to do this so their big business partners would have low wage workers. The democrats used to do it to try to get more voters for their party. Now both parties do it to help their big business partners and they both think they can get more low wage immigrant workers to vote for them.

Do you realize that you didn't actually answer the question?

Why Republicans and Democrats support low wage immigrant workers is irrelevant to the effects of immigration on wages.

So I'll ask again, do you have anything that substantially suggest that immigrants or the minimum wage actually lowers wages (given the link that I gave initially)?

(If you can't actually answer the question, I'd suggest you consider why you are saying things that you can't actually give evidence for.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

No **** it didn't meet its goals because a certain political party has worked tirelessly to destroy it. Much like they're doing to everything else that actually helps people.

ACA has helped out immensely. Definitely helped me. Shame it hasn't expanded to help more. 🥺

The ACA was realistically a collection of ideas to help fix healthcare w/o government taking it over.  For many of them, there was very little supporting evidence of how effective they would be.

The result is that many of the ideas are completely ineffective, some of them are okay, and some of them actually appear to be bad (e.g. The ACA made consolidation in the health care industry easier and even encouraged it.  Before the ACA, there was an idea that more consolidation would lead allow more efficient use of resources, reduce the cost any one patient was paying for overhead, and those savings could/would be pass on to the patients.  That hasn't happened.  If anything, consolidation has driven up prices and driven down quality.  So while some parts of the ACA have worked, they've been offset by parts like that.)

The "failure" of the ACA in terms of lowering costs or increasing quality of care doesn't have much to do with anything the Republicans have done.  It's been a failure of the ideas.  Now from the ACA and studies done post-ACA, we do have a better idea of somethings that we could do to improve healthcare (e.g. reduce consolidation), but that would mean passing another healthcare law which replaces the ACA which doesn't seem possible in the current political environment.  Such a law that didn't nationalize healthcare wouldn't get support on the left or right.

Edited by PeterMP

On 2/10/2022 at 4:07 PM, PeterMP said:

Do you realize that you didn't actually answer the question?

Why Republicans and Democrats support low wage immigrant workers is irrelevant to the effects of immigration on wages.

So I'll ask again, do you have anything that substantially suggest that immigrants or the minimum wage actually lowers wages (given the link that I gave initially)?

(If you can't actually answer the question, I'd suggest you consider why you are saying things that you can't actually give evidence for.)

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/trump-clinton-immigration-economy-unemployment-jobs-214216/