Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Someone recommend some good R&B bands from the last decade please

I'm having a hard time finding any...not that i keep up on today's music, but I googled 'R&B Bands" of the 2010s and kept getting solo artists or a list of R&B albums of the last decade.

Back story; I was listening to Earth, Wind & Fire and started thinking who is the EW&F of today?...Then started thinking who are the popular R&B bands of today?...Then thinking are there ANY R&B bands today? lol...I grew up with EW&F, Commodores, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Jackson 5, Kool & The Gang, Heatwave, Sly & The Family Stone, Ohio Players, Chic, The Barkays, The Dazz Band, The Spinners, The Time, Cameo, etc, etc...are there any groups like this now?

I even checked the Grammy nominations for the last 10 years to see which bands got nominated for R&B Duo or Group...here is the list of nominated R&B bands:

giphy.gif

In short: there really aren't any lol. Apparently the category of R&B Duo or Group was discontinued in 2011 and now there's just an overall R&B Performance category. All the "group" nominations are two solo acts performing a duet.

From what I can tell, this is the only actual R&B band that's been nominated over the last 10 years...and they're from Australia:

So...does anyone know of any current R&B bands? Or are they extinct?

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I dunno if the Black Pumas would be considered R&B but I liked their album a lot.

They definitely count, yeah...I forgot about them. I follow them on youtube. My memory is going down the toilet lol...

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

They definitely count, yeah...I forgot about them. I follow them on youtube. My memory is going down the toilet lol...

One place I like to learn about new music is Pitchfork.  Oftentimes their reviews are incoherent and unreadable but if you just go off the scores they give albums, it can be pretty good.

Here's their R&B stuff (which they mix with "pop" but it's a start) https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/?genre=pop

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

One place I like to learn about new music is Pitchfork.  Oftentimes their reviews are incoherent and unreadable but if you just go off the scores they give albums, it can be pretty good.

Here's their R&B stuff (which they mix with "pop" but it's a start) https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/?genre=pop

I used to listen to Pandora years ago an would learn of new music that way. Now I just listen to the same 20 songs over and over again lol...

8 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I have found H.E.R. to be extremely entertaining.  She's fabulous. 

She's fantastic. "I Can't Breathe" was the first song I heard by her and was blown away. Unfortunately, though, she's not a band lol...

Edited by Califan007
6 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Thundercat video

Is that Haim at the end? lol...Ok, these guys sound really good, too. I'm glad I started this thread.

EDIT: uKanDanZ sounds amazing.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Is that Haim at the end? lol...Ok, these guys sound really good, too. I'm glad I started this thread.

EDIT: uKanDanZ sounds amazing.

I almost posted Purple Rain in here, just for lullzz.

Anyway, Gambino’s funk album from 2017 is really good.

Latest Tame Impala leans in real hard on blue-eyed soul.

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I almost posted Purple Rain in here, just for lullzz.

Anyway, Gambino’s funk album from 2017 is really good.

Yep, it is, but again he's not a band lol...

37 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

My bad, fam. I really haven't heard any. Might look through some stuff later and come back here.

No need to apologize for posting great music...I just meant that it’s become obvious that there aren’t too many R&B bands out there cuz we aren’t finding any to post lol...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

No need to apologize for posting great music...I just meant that it’s become obvious that there aren’t too many R&B bands out there cuz we aren’t finding any to post lol...

Or, conversely...If everybody were as funky as Beal, you’d have 30 responses by now.

Anyone old enough to remember stuff like this?...

3 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Marcus King Band

They good *nod*...is their stuff R&B, though? First one, nope...2nd one, yeah.

• Like 1