Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Dallas I

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Is this...coaching?!?

That or the Dallas front 7 is flat out embarrassingly bad. They were awful yesterday. Still you can only beat whats in front of you and Lucas played well. 

Not sure if this has already been posted but we had 12 targets of receivers in the games yesterday and 11 of those went to wards Terry McLaurin. Everyone in the world knows Terry is our only real downfield weapon and we are targeting him a ton and he STILL gets open and produces at an elite level. guy is flat out a stud.

On a related note what Dallas were doing on the long TD pass leaving a rookie CB on the island against hm with no safety help heaven alone knows. But thanks.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That or the Dallas front 7 is flat out embarrassingly bad. They were awful yesterday. Still you can only beat whats in front of you and Lucas played well. 

Not sure if this has already been posted but we had 12 targets of receivers in the games yesterday and 11 of those went to wards Terry McLaurin. Everyone in the world knows Terry is our only real downfield weapon and we are targeting him a ton and he STILL gets open and produces at an elite level. guy is flat out a stud.

On a related note what Dallas were doing on the long TD pass leaving a rookie CB on the island against hm with no safety help heaven alone knows. But thanks.

No one even reads the OP anymore :(

• Haha 3
31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No one even reads the OP anymore :(

Its Monday morning - I am on my first coffee over here. Give me a break :-)

Edit - actually now I have read the OP (and finished my coffee) you were talking about only 1 catch went away from Terry in the OP. That catch was also the only TARGET that went away from Terry to another WR. I was pointing we only targeted another receiver once the whole game. A similar but different point.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You're kidding...Haslett?  Well then.  I hope that happens.

Yeah, he was on the "think tank" with which he studied the recent developments within the NFL and where he also "learned" about analytics when he was out of the NFL. That's why there was speculation, that he might hire him as DC. Instead he hired his son to be offensive quality control there. So the connection is there and thus there is still a possibility I guess.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, wit33 said:

Are there examples of guys at RB who are bad with vision that improve this though?

Seems like something you have or don’t in most cases. Trying to think of RBs who became better with vision, but nothing off the top. 

I am not sure, but his issue is pretty specific.  And maybe @KDawg is right, it might not be "vision" per say, but knowledge of what to do.  

There was one play (I don't know exactly when) where Moses had the edge sealed, had actually made a really good block because he managed to get on the outside shoulder of the rusher, and he hole was to his outside.  There was NOBODY outside of Moses, and Moses's body position would indicate to an experienced back to go around the block and turn the corner. 

Gibson cut inside, right into a wall of people, and because Moses was actually on the outside shoulder of the rusher, brought him back into the play also.

(FWIW, Allen did the same damn thing to Moses later in the game, Moses had pushed the rusher outside and backwards, Allen felt pressure, and instead of stepping up and allowing Moses to keep his body between the rusher and Allen, he tried to loop around, and ran right into the arms of the tackler.  Moses got jobbed on both of these plays, and those are only the two I noticed, there might be more.)

So alls I'm saying is Gibson needs more reps, needs to see this on film more, and he will get more experience and make better decisions of how to use his blocks.

The other thing I've noticed is that Gibson, at times, lacks patience.  He's so eager to get through the hole, he beats the lead blocker to the hole, and runs into his ass.  Again, this just comes with reps, and if he gets good coaching and is able to develop, he should be fine.  It might just take a little bit of time.

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And you're not wrong that it's not good. But I think saying his vision is poor is over simplifying what "vision" is.

I think you're right, I don't think it is "vision."  It's probably the wrong term to use.  

I'm not sure what the right term is, though.  He picks the wrong hole at times because of lack of experience, specifically on outside zone runs.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HOGPOWER said:

Well, that's one opinion. I wonder what his coaches think. 

Well, I have no idea. But I've seen it and described it.  And gave a couple examples from this game.

Cooley has pointed out others.

I'm pretty sure the coaches are aware of this if an idiot message board poster like myself can notice it just from the TV feed, and also a former player living in Wyoming notices it when knowing what to look for.

That's just a guess though.  

Antonio as we know was mostly a receiver in college.  I think the biggest learning curve for him is patience and learning how to follow blocks and understanding their blocking system.  It's not something he had to do much in college.  So for now his comfort zone is more about using his athleticism to cut outside and bob and weave through tacklers.  But I think the rest will come.  He's just a freak of an athlete and so tough to bring down that he will be one scary runner when he figures it all out. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He really does seem to do a great job of finishing runs consistently. 

Side note: I love him on sweeps, tosses, and the pitch back where it allows him to come down hill and be instinctual (similar to what Memphis did with him and what Bryce Love did at Stanford a lot). I can appreciate the staff attempting to get some runs that maybe don’t mesh as well with other run concepts for Gibson. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, wit33 said:

He really does seem to do a great job of finishing runs consistently. 

Side note: I love him on sweeps, tosses, and the pitch back where it allows him to come down hill and be instinctual (similar to what Memphis did with him and what Bryce Love did at Stanford a lot). I can appreciate the staff attempting to get some runs that maybe don’t mesh as well with other run concepts for Gibson. 

Speaking of Bryce Love, wonder if at some point during the season he's ready?  Like Gibson, Love prefers to turn it outside but he is a decent insider runner too despite his size.  If you put both of them on the field at the same time -- they are so explosive, that it would be a ton of fun to watch.  Granted that's if Love finds his old explosion pre ACL injury.  

Holcomb appears to be a natural as a 4-3 MLB. Big upgrade over Bostic. But we still need an OLB or two that can also cover because that isn't Holcomb's strong suit(wasn't exposed yesterday since Dallas doesn't have TEs that can beat you in the passing game).

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Cole was a beast

Yeah I believe he and KPL can be good if we add a true stud in the middle of that defense.   That's all our defense is missing. A great middle linebacker and a good cover safety. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying the win today.  Yes a win over a terrible team but its a win over the Cowboys and the mediots were still loving them up till our game kicked off.  So I love it.

I also love the body language, attitude, demeanor of Kyle Allen a hell of a lot more than Haskins.  Guys like Holcomb and Terry also have it - they are just easy to root for.  They have a humble confidence about them.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Aha, so he's not really "injured". That's just the cover story, to conceal the charges against him, and the real reason he isn't playing.

I heard he ate that man's soul and he's been having trouble keeping his weight down ever since.

40 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The numbers surprised me.  We do really well against some teams.  But others are just a mismatch for us.  The Rams had the personnel to exploit our roster holes.  If it wasn't for a Monsoon in the 2nd half, I think they would've scored in the 40's easily.

But not every team has that combo of coaching, tight ends, receivers, etc.

We're a good defense, but still a flawed one.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

We have never shut out the Cowboys (they have shut us out 4 times 😣) but yesterdays game was the lowest score that they've ever had against us.

We are allowed to shut out other teams?

• Like 1