Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

I keep seeing its only been 5 quarters of football.......I'm curious as to what a season behind TH would have looked like with a better Oline. He played a great game last night while being pressured all night by what appeared to me to be complex blitz packages. He made quick throws and deep throws and ran at the right time. He also had three or four dropped balls that were crucial IMHO and may have made a difference in this game. Two things I did notice were passes at times were high and behind and he had some deflections......after only five quarters and one week of reps I will take that. I am not a guru as some of you are, but its hard for me to not like him and his ability to grind out some football for us in the future. Get two solid lineman in the draft and FA and see what we have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I disagree. He’s looked immediately competent. Consistent. Mobile. Quick witted. 

How old was Romo when he won the starting job?

I agree.  That was a gutsy performance and he carried a bad offense.  The OL had a bad night, the run game was non existent, and the playmakers were all banged up or just not very good.  Cam Sims and Steven Sims and Isaiah Wright are not good players.  Maybe like 2 out of 10 times are they going to go up and make the stud play for their QB and bail the team out.  You can't even trust them to always make the easy play.  That is absolutely not good enough.  Logan Thomas has been a pleasant surprise, but he's not as good as we think he is either.

Heinecke was legitimately good last night.  He read his pressures well and found the holes that the blitz left open.  He was accurate and tough.  And some of his scrambles were spectacular.  He proved he belongs in the NFL.  Sometimes it just takes being at the right point in your life and getting the right opportunity, and that could be the case with Heinecke.

It's amazing to me to see this unfold.  I live in Norfolk and went to a CAA school and I got to see him play at ODU, where he was a phenomenal player and he basically was the scariest and most demoralizing opponent in the conference before they left the CAA and began transitioning to the FBS during his junior year.  If not for that, he might have gone down as the greatest player in conference history and one of the greatest in FCS history.  That's how good he was as a sophomore.  He is beloved in Norfolk, to the point where it lead the local news here that he even got to play in fourth quarter relief against Carolina.  But I am so accustomed to the level of college football that I personally follow being an entirely separate world from the NFL that it is pleasantly surreal to see guys like him and Tim Hightower get involved with the WFT.  Makes it easier to be a fan of the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I agree.  That was a gutsy performance and he carried a bad offense.  The OL had a bad night, the run game was non existent, and the playmakers were all banged up or just not very good.  Cam Sims and Steven Sims and Isaiah Wright are not good players.  Maybe like 2 out of 10 times are they going to go up and make the stud play for their QB and bail the team out.  You can't even trust them to always make the easy play.  That is absolutely not good enough.  Logan Thomas has been a pleasant surprise, but he's not as good as we think he is either.

Heinecke was legitimately good last night.  He read his pressures well and found the holes that the blitz left open.  He was accurate and tough.  And some of his scrambles were spectacular.  He proved he belongs in the NFL.  Sometimes it just takes being at the right point in your life and getting the right opportunity, and that could be the case with Heinecke.

It's amazing to me to see this unfold.  I live in Norfolk and went to a CAA school and I got to see him play at ODU, where he was a phenomenal player and he basically was the scariest and most demoralizing opponent in the conference before they left the CAA and began transitioning to the FBS during his junior year.  If not for that, he might have gone down as the greatest player in conference history and one of the greatest in FCS history.  That's how good he was as a sophomore.  He is beloved in Norfolk, to the point where it lead the local news here that he even got to play in fourth quarter relief against Carolina.  But I am so accustomed to the level of college football that I personally follow being an entirely separate world from the NFL that it is pleasantly surreal to see guys like him and Tim Hightower get involved with the WFT.  Makes it easier to be a fan of the team.

Yeah, Terry is the only WR assured of being back next year.  Steven Sims and Wright (IMO) are gone.  Unreliable hands and don't separate.  Cam Sims lumbers too much and has inconsistent hands.  Harmon is a wild card.  He'd have really helped this year, but he didn't exactly light it up last year either.  

4 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I keep seeing its only been 5 quarters of football.......I'm curious as to what a season behind TH would have looked like with a better Oline. He played a great game last night while being pressured all night by what appeared to me to be complex blitz packages. He made quick throws and deep throws and ran at the right time. He also had three or four dropped balls that were crucial IMHO and may have made a difference in this game. Two things I did notice were passes at times were high and behind and he had some deflections......after only five quarters and one week of reps I will take that. I am not a guru as some of you are, but its hard for me to not like him and his ability to grind out some football for us in the future. Get two solid lineman in the draft and FA and see what we have.

We also need couple of good to great WRs with sure hands.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Cam Sims and Steven Sims and Isaiah Wright are not good players.  Maybe like 2 out of 10 times are they going to go up and make the stud play for their QB and bail the team out.  You can't even trust them to always make the easy play.

Agreed on this, we need a #2 and #3 behind Terry. The rest can battle it out for the #4 berth and below.

27 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agreed on this, we need a #2 and #3 behind Terry. The rest can battle it out for the #4 berth and below.

I'd be okay bringing Cam Sims back but as no higher than our #3 or #4. We need a solid veteran to be #2. McLaurin is a sure #1.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I no longer feel the need to go after a Stafford type. Would rather keep a guy who's proven in our system and use those resources to beef up our major weak spots(which there are unfortunately a lot of remaining).

I'm all for keeping Heinicke for a modest contract but I also think it's a bit nuts to say that we no longer need to look for a possible upgrade. The guy looked really good last night but he's played 5 quarters for us. 5 quarters and we want to say "yup, he's the guy"? 

He also has an injury history and with his pretty slight frame that's a big warning sign to me. He barely made it through last night's game. 

Romo was 26 when he got his chance. Their QB room was a disaster, worse than ours, and he immediately shone brightly with a pro bowl appearance his very first season as a starter. 

That probably won't happen for Heinecke, but imagine how the players would feel if we never gave an earnest attempt to find out. The guy is a folk hero already. 

Absolutely draft a guy like Trey Lance if you can. But we have a legit bridge QB now. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m less all in on a Stafford now that I feel like we might have a Romo, Kurt Warner, Gannon situation. 

And I agree. We are close. We might have won that game last night if we had Ioannidis and one more impact player on offense. 

Yeah it looks like there are primarily three camps on him via the media/fans:    A.  fools gold/short sample see Matt Flynn.   B. This dude is the answer.   C.  Somewhere in between those two camps.  I am in category C with a leaning towards B.

My concern with him is durability.  He's broken his clavicle twice and has had other injuries.  Between his size and his style of play I wonder if he ends up like Colt where he lasts a few games and then he gets injured? 

Maybe this is a question for @KDawg who from what I recall is a weight lifter.  I lifted weights as I am sure many here have but never really bulked up heavily.    Do you think Heinicke can benefit from bulking up his upper body?  He doesn't strike me as broad shouldered as the typical QB.  I am focusing on that part of his body since that seems to be his vulnerability. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah it looks like there are primarily three camps on him via the media/fans:    A.  fools gold/short sample see Matt Flynn.   B. This dude is the answer.   C.  Somewhere in between those two camps.  I am in category C with a leaning towards B.

My concern with him is durability.  He's broken his clavicle twice and has had other injuries.  Between his size and his style of play I wonder if he ends up like Colt where he lasts a few games and then he gets injured? 

Maybe this is a question for @KDawg who from what I recall is a weight lifter.  I lifted weights as I am sure many here have but never really bulked up heavily.    Do you think Heinicke can benefit from bulking up his upper body?  He doesn't strike me as broad shouldered as the typical QB.  I am focusing on that part of his body since that seems to be his vulnerability. 

I wouldn't want him to bulk up too much. He could stand to gain a little muscle mass, but too much and he loses some of what he does well. I'd have him lifting to improve his muscle tissue strength more than anything. I'd hire people to teach him how to fall. He falls tremendously awkwardly at times.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't want him to sacrifice any mobility or quickness. That's his biggest strength. I saw what happened to Victor Robles on the Nats when he bulked up this past year for more power and lost too much speed and his game fell off hard.

Agree but that's why I focused my point on his upper body.  I am not saying the dude needs to get buffed but like i said he doesn't seem as broad shouldered as some QBs, including some of which have mobility. 

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I'm in group C but I think hes closer to B than A. I don't think he's pure fools gold because a lot of what he did well last night was indeed sustainable for NFL QBs. He went through his reads, manuevered in the pocket, made good throws into tight windows, and showed good anticipation and accuracy. It wasn't like 2012 RG3 just read optioning and throwing to wide open guys. My issue is his phsyical limitations. Obviously the size leading to injuries but I also think his arm is on the low end and he'll struggle making some of tight throws(remember Tampa's secondary is pretty bad).

His absolute best case scenario is a Tony Romo type which would be huge obviously, as Romo was a damn good QB for several years, and what we saw yesterday was reminiscent of how many times Romo would put the Cowboys on his back and give them a chance when the rest of the team was ass.

I just wish we could have rolled with him earlier in the season so we could have a bit more of a sample size. Remember Romo came in mid season for a floundering Cowboy team in 2006 and took them to the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree but that's why I focused my point on his upper body.  I am not saying the dude needs to get buffed but like i said he doesn't seem as broad shouldered as some QBs, including some of which have mobility. 

Yep, we sign him to a 2/3 year deal he can spend time in the weight room put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and should be good to go.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think so. Lance would have time to develop as the number 3. In a year or two one of Heinicke/Allen move on and Lance competes for the starting job. If he wins, great. If he loses but looks good trade him. Or continue to develop.

Trading major assets would be a bad look, though.

I’m not even saying Heinicke is for sure the guy. He may not even be the short term guy. But if we have guys like him and Allen and a developmental prospect there’s no need to spend 20M on a veteran QB when the roster needs so many pieces. 

They are good enough to bridge, is more the point. And while bridging if they prove themselves as the long term starter... that’s excellent for us.

Amen to this! And a proud Monarch alum this morning.

OMG!!! Did yall see what TH did last night? It was absolutely amazing!  I have been a Skins Fan for over 40 years and I will remember this courageous performance on my dying bed!  For yall nick picking TH flaws, stop being whacked!  The dude balled out on one one the brightest spotlight and earn tons of respect!   If a couple of balls not dropped, a tipped pass INT,  a few bad calls from refs, we may had won that game!  He is a recipe for success!  Stop over analyzingand over thinking.  Barring  health issues he will be ourstarter next season in 2021! 

Unfortunately I missed the entire game last night,  I'm a firefighter working a 72 hour shift and of course we ran our tails off last night.  From what I'm reading on here it sounds like we might have found a QB??? I know the sample size is small,  and so is the QB, but now maybe possibly we can pick up a cheaper vet or draft one deeper in the draft and maybe someone like Harris will fall into our laps.

No way do you hand this guy the starting job based on 5 quarters of play.  Heinicke has earned a roster spot and the right to compete for the starting job.  He has to earn that starting job by beating someone in training camp.

I would offer him a 2 year incentive laden deal with an option for an additional year. Obviously, if he becomes the long term starter; he will get a nice long term franchise deal.

I still expect us to get another QB.  Maybe we trade for one. Sign someone in free agency.  Maybe, someone falls to us.  I do expect another QB to compete for the starting job.  Kyle maybe in that equation also but I think we need veteran QB.

Maybe we trade for Matt Ryan and we get a couple of years of him; with Taylor and Kyle as backups. Maybe, we convince Rivers to sign with us for a year and have Kyle and Taylor as backups?  Maybe trade for Mariotta or Bradford and have them compete with Taylor and Kyle?

I think we have options and Taylor is part of that equation.  Best case, he becomes our long term starter. Worst case, we have a solid backup.

Edited by Rdskns2000