Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, Rskins91 said:

I’m fairly certain we had the #17 pick in 2017. Wasn’t the 2nd pick traded to Chicago for Trubisky that year?

SF wanted to trade the #2 pick to us for Kirk Cousins and Bruce Allen turned them down.  We could have had Watson and still picked Allen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

SF wanted to trade the #2 pick to us for Kirk Cousins and Bruce Allen turned them down.  We could have had Watson and still picked Allen.

Just reading that makes me want to vomit 😢🤢

Seriously though,  I would love to have Watson,  even if it was a costly move, but right now I'm going to believe that he stays in Houston.  With that said,  if we're going to trade away the farm for a franchise qb, then if we can't get Watson,  why not trade up and get our guy in the draft.

4 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Just reading that makes me want to vomit 😢🤢

Seriously though,  I would love to have Watson,  even if it was a costly move, but right now I'm going to believe that he stays in Houston.  With that said,  if we're going to trade away the farm for a franchise qb, then if we can't get Watson,  why not trade up and get our guy in the draft.

We could have gotten a first round pick for Trent too and Bruce Allen nixed that as well.  He was a catastrophically stupid and spiteful football executive.  Those were two horrific mistakes that I don't think many of us on here would have made if we'd been in charge.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We could have gotten a first round pick for Trent too and Bruce Allen nixed that as well.  He was a catastrophically stupid and spiteful football executive.  Those were two horrific mistakes that I don't think many of us on here would have made if we'd been in charge.

Both of these have never been proven to be fact and local reporters have not come to a consensus on these reports. 

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You should stop. He is already puking, anymore Bruce Allen talk and he may poop his pants.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder combined set the franchise back a year every year. It’s scary how bad they were.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not totally true. SF had multiple no. 1 picks that year. It is far more likely they were talking about moving one of the other 1sts they held

can someone document a drug problem or something for Watson so Texans feel the need to get rid of him sooner than later... and for less

Just now, KDawg said:

I’m out on Watson regardless now that I see who his agent is. David Mulgheta. Dwayne Haskins former agent.

I brought that up yesterday on twitter and was blasted by people saying "yea, the same agent that dumped Haskins."

But I recall the agent coming at the organization hard with his tweets and press releases in regards to Haskins

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m out on Watson regardless now that I see who his agent is. David Mulgheta. Dwayne Haskins former agent.

Nah, don't read into that. It's agents' job to be in biz w/ all 32 teams. Whether they take a friendly or hardline posture w/ a team is case by case depending on which client they're servicing, but there is 0% chance Mulugheta would compromise his ability to do business by burning a bridge with a team. I bet there are other Mulugheta clients on the roster right now.  

Curious why people are so willing to mortgage the future on Watson, but wouldn’t simply pay dak? I see dak nearly on the same level as Watson, but we could get him for free... yes, this is assuming he hits FA.

Dak- give up zero draft capital, pay $40m/yr

Deshaun- sign away our future, pay $40m/yr

We’re not talking about mahomes here. I love deshaun, but look how far he led his team this year... deshaun and dak are 1a 1b. It should be no-brainer for those so willing to give up the world for deshaun to be more than happy to pay dak if he hits the market.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Does this include roll over money from 2020?

He has a dead cap space of $10 million next season and $5 million for 2022. if we cut him or he retires (like I expect), we save $14 million because he's making $24 million this season.  That would bump our cap space to $50 million +,  Keep in mind we still have some FA's to sign.  
Alex Smith Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

5 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

His has a dead cap next season (whether we cut or trade him) of $10.8 million and $5 million in 2022:
Alex Smith Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

However, if we cut him or he retires (like I expect), we save $14 million because he's making $24 million this season. That would bump our cap space to $50 million +.  Keep in mind we still have some FA's to sign.  

Got it.  But my question is more around the unused cap from 2020 which is like 20-22M according to over the cap.  Either all or a portion of that should roll over in 2021?  Is he including that?

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Curious why people are so willing to mortgage the future on Watson, but wouldn’t simply pay dak? I see dak nearly on the same level as Watson, but we could get him for free... yes, this is assuming he hits FA.

Dak- give up zero draft capital, pay $40m/yr

Deshaun- sign away our future, pay $40m/yr

Dak does not equal Deshaun.

A team that trades for him also would not have to pay 40+ Mil like you would for Dak. the cap hits would be:

$10.54 million in 2021, $35 million in 2022, $37 million in 2023, and $32 million in 2024 and in 2025.

https://overthecap.com/deshaun-watson-unhappy-with-texans/

That is not enough money to offset the assets you'd have to ship out, but from a purely financial standpoint you laugh all the way to the bank having a elite QB on those numbers.

I don't see him leaving Dallas, but Dak in FA would not be a bad get either. You'll have to give up Mahomes money tho. FA will boost his yeild

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Got it.  But my question is more around the unused cap from 2020 which is like 20-22M according to over the cap.  Either all or a portion of that should roll over in 2021?  Is he including that?

good question, agree, not clear. Plus the Roullier deal changes those numbers.

10 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dak does not equal Deshaun.

A team that trades for him also would not have to pay 40+ Mil like you would for Dak. the cap hits would be:

$10.54 million in 2021, $35 million in 2022, $37 million in 2023, and $32 million in 2024 and in 2025.

https://overthecap.com/deshaun-watson-unhappy-with-texans/

That is not enough money to offset the assets you'd have to ship out, but from a purely financial standpoint you laugh all the way to the bank having a elite QB on those numbers.

I don't see him leaving Dallas, but Dak in FA would not be a bad get either. You'll have to give up Mahomes money tho. FA will boost his yeild

What if we didn't want Cooper but acted like we were to drive up his price. And we do the same with Dak?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HoggLife said:

What if we didn't want Cooper but acted like we were to drive up his price. And we do the same with Dak?

It would be stupid not to. We should have a guy working full time to bang on Dak's agents door yelling "tell me the number, we will match it". Make your interest known to the public. Drive that price as high as possible

He is going to get 40M + a year

Of course it would all have to be secretive, Tampering and all that. Maybe don't give the guy banging on the door the planned megaphone.