Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

His No-Trade clause is a huge factor, can potentially angle where he wants to go rather than where Texans get the craziest offer. 

Of course it would still have to be a great offer or Houston can just force him to stay but it technically doesn’t have to be the best offer of the bunch. 

Edited by Blanka
Grammatical error

If you look at QB needy teams outside the top 10 who pick before the WFT and might be in competition for Watson it would be SF and New England.  I really don't see the Patriots giving up the farm but definitely could see SF doing it.  There's been some chatter with SF doing that a couple months ago but it'd probably take something like 3 first rounders and after June 5th to avoid a bigger cap hit.  That means after the draft.

I just think it's too much precious capitol for the WFT, given they really need the draft to supplement the upcoming big contracts in a couple years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I just think it's too much precious capitol for the WFT, given they really need the draft to supplement the upcoming big contracts in a couple years

They can afford to pay their core players if they’re savvy with the cap. Watson is a borderline elite QB who would keep us in contention year in and year out.

21 hours ago, CTskin said:

couldn’t be happier that we made the playoffs, but if we get wiped by TB then it’s going to be hard to not wish we had the #10 pick and a good chance at drafting a franchise qb.

How much value do you put on giving the current players some experience in the playoffs?  In prior Skins teams the players often just wanted to get paid.  These guys are going to really want to get back to the playoffs and do better in the future.  Is that worth picking 9 slots higher?  You don't know with the draft picks until after 2-3 years so I'm sticking with giving the team the experience and building the competitive fire.  

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t do 3 firsts. But I’d give up 2. He’d be franchise changing.

You would probably have to give up 2 1sts+ more. Maybe a couple 2nds + a player or two also

4 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

How much value do you put on giving the current players some experience in the playoffs?  In prior Skins teams the players often just wanted to get paid.  These guys are going to really want to get back to the playoffs and do better in the future.  Is that worth picking 9 slots higher?  You don't know with the draft picks until after 2-3 years so I'm sticking with giving the team the experience and building the competitive fire.  

If this were a veteran team, it wouldn’t help much. However, the best players on this team are on rookie contracts and many hopefully stay long term on 2nd and 3rd contracts. Also, Loverro brings us a good point that this will help solidify Rivera’s power in the org in the eyes of Snyder

Edited by method man

1 minute ago, method man said:

You would probably have to give up 2 1sts+ more. Maybe a couple 2nds + a player or two also

In other words, another RG3-sized deal but for a proven player.  That's still too rich for me.  How well would he fit the scheme?  How many holes can Washington fill with all those picks?  The Texans would be smart to try to get Watson to agree to a trade.  The Texans were so mismanaged they need to take a few years to tear out all the damage and rebuild.  Watson is wasted talent for them.    

As much as I'm in the late round steals for a QB, I think that there is some merit to seeing what happened with Mahomes, Allen and Watson. Heck, even look at Herbert. All these guys were the late guys taken in a top heavy QB draft. In a sense so was Haskins but lets ignore that for a second (maybe not top heavy). And there was the Allen vs Rosen (Rosen was taken after Allen) and has had a completely opposite career trajectory. And Mahomes and Watson were guys taken in the 10+ positions in the draft. 

All that said, it may be an idea for us to sit at 19/20 and just watch how the draft transpires and say we pick a spot / trade partner (say number 10 with the Chargers or somebody who isn't really looking at drafting a QB). So we have an idea that if Wilson or Fields or Lance drops to that spot (unexpected sure, but there is the Rogers dropping year, and the unexpected things that happen in a draft. Heck, I thought Tua dropped to 5. So what about doing the KC package (adding an extra first and third) or so and moving up to this spot if the guy we like is there but not overdoing it and overcommitting to one of these QBs by giving up too much. 

58 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Get Watson Please, by all means necessary

No thanks.  I thought we didn't like quarterbacks with losing records who put up big numbers in "garbage time"?  He's being paid like he's Mahomes and he isn't.  8-18 against teams with winning records.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t do 3 firsts. But I’d give up 2. He’d be franchise changing.

Yes, I would give up 2021 and 2022 1sts plus a 2021 3rd and 2022 4th.....4 picks and I'd throw in a player if that helps. Cant mess around with this....Wow, how great would this team look with Watson?

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

😂😂

ErI-gc-W8AEbY5j.jpg

Can't be #4 here unfortunately, that number belongs to Heinicke.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

What makes you think Cam stabilizes the franchise more than, say, Kyle Allen for the time being?

Kyle Allen hasn’t shown himself to be a professional QB in way managing games consistently and not imploding. I think Ron brings in a “grown up” in the QB room next season as it appears to be trending Smith may not return/lack of trust to remain healthy for a season. 

Just now, wit33 said:

Kyle Allen hasn’t shown himself to be a professional QB in way managing games consistently and not imploding. I think Ron brings in a “grown up” in the QB room next season as it appears to be trending Smith may not return/lack of trust to remain healthy for a season. 

This is what I think, Cam brings a person that RR trusts at the position until someone better comes along.....It's not that Cam is good or bad, it's that we need someone who we can compete with and he'd bring that. Remember, RR is impatient and wants to win now, Cam can read defenses and brings a vet presence that RR is familiar with and I think that will be important to RR. 

All that said, if someone like Watson comes available that's the guy you go and get. 

9 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

This is what I think, Cam brings a person that RR trusts at the position until someone better comes along.....It's not that Cam is good or bad, it's that we need someone who we can compete with and he'd bring that. Remember, RR is impatient and wants to win now, Cam can read defenses and brings a vet presence that RR is familiar with and I think that will be important to RR. 

All that said, if someone like Watson comes available that's the guy you go and get. 

Ya, I don’t believe Newton is great, but would expect the team to be dynamic in the run game, red zone, and RPO (slants to Mcclaurin). Just want some known variables at the QB position due to believing the teams SB window starts next year. Newton, Allen, and a rookie sounds good to me for next season. 

Id entertain the idea of Matt Ryan if the Falcons decided to release him and let him choose his team (like Peyton Manning). No interest in trading draft picks. 

• Like 1