Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

He won’t inspire confidence in the team.

The team needs a franchise QB or a steady eddy stop gap type. Someone that the players believe in.

I think Fitz fits that. 

Winston doesn’t. 

Trubisky doesn’t.

Stafford does. Smith does. Kyle Allen being here already could. ****, Heinicke could if he starts and wins Sunday.

This team right now needs a steady quarterback.

The problem with Heineken and Allen and Smith are injury history. Stafford the worry is the injuries catch up. 

I don’t know who the guy is and who is available at the moment to be honest. But the ticket isn’t Mitch Trubisky who is too inconsistent to be believed in.

Don't sleep on Cam Newton...I know, he's not the same guy, but he has a history with RR and would provide some stability until the next is found. He will be available and won't break the bank....and chances are he's gonna want to come to DC. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Don't sleep on Cam Newton...I know, he's not the same guy, but he has a history with RR and would provide some stability until the next is found. He will be available and won't break the bank....and chances are he's gonna want to come to DC. 

I am not only sleeping on him, I am hibernating. He has looked absolutely awful in NE this year. He makes Haskins look like a good passer. Luckily he can run. 

• Like 6

It seems like there are two main camps on our defense with some nuance differences.  

A.  It's really good/bordering on elite -- strike new while the iron is hot

B.  It's good but a bit overrated

I am much closer to A.  The relevance to this thread is I want a good QB, not a big maybe. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It seems like there are two main camps on our defense with some nuance differences.  

A.  It's really good/bordering on elite -- strike new while the iron is hot

B.  It's good but a bit overrated

I am much closer to A.  The relevance to this thread is I want a good QB, not a big maybe. 

I’m in the “it’s good, but asked to do way too much.  Get them an offense that can sustain drives and they’ll be elite” camp.

Imagine what JDR will be able to do if we got big leads and make the offense one dimensional.

24 minutes ago, -JB- said:

If we think this Defense can become truly elite than I believe even Trubisky could help us get to 11-5 for the first time in a zillion years!  LOL

Can I point out that Trubisky has played with a near-elite defense for most of his career?

For the record:

Trubisky > Minshew > Newton

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 2

The future QB is not on the roster.  So, the team needs to find a future franchise QB, and best way to do that is in the draft.  However, I will start off by saying we have three QB's on the roster that can play next year.  Pick two to keep - can go into camp with all three and let the two best come out.

Reference drafting a QB, i think you have to go into the draft relaxed.  Please don't draft just to draft, or something the owner would do.  Rank the QB's and draft in the ballpark of the ranking, and don't be afraid to wait a year.  If Smith can stay healthy he will lead the team to the playoffs next year.

The key is to find a franchise QB.  We have game managers and such now so we don't need another one.

• Like 1

Here's a thought, and I could be way off here, but with so many 1st rounders to pay moving forward in the coming years are we in a position to give up two 1sts (2021,2022) to move up and get one of the top QB's in the draft if necessary? If we have a good free agency signing class, maybe RR goes for the gold and gives up the picks needed to move up? Lets say Wilson is sitting there at #8 and that team wants to deal....why not pull the trigger and then focus on trying to sign all of the 1st round picks we already have long term? 

Sign Kyle Allen, keep Montez and move up to get the rookie if you're in love with one of them? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Basically any QB allowed to walk in FA is going to be nothing more than a stopgap. Trubisky at least some *some* upside given his relatively young age. 

To me that's the bottom line, FA IMO are all flier types.  Even my favorite FA QB, Fitzpatrick, who I've watched a lot (being from Florida) including multiple times in person, IMO isn't even close to being slam dunk sleep at night kind of choice.

34 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Can I point out that Trubisky has played with a near-elite defense for most of his career?

For the record:

I posted Trubisky stuff because we are all discussing options.  I've never touted him.  I think the Bears bring him back probably anyway.  I am not excited about any of the FA options.  If I had to pick one it would be Fitzpatrick though I am not sold on him either and I got doubts Miami lets him go.

If we end up picking 19 or later.  My top choice is likely trading for a veteran.  Stafford being my #1 desire.   Ryan maybe if he's cheap.  Darnold maybe if he's cheap. 

If we end up picking top 10, I'd be willing to be aggressive to trade up for a QB within reason.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

We don't need to waste all the advancements we've made to the roster to move up for a qb.  Slow it down a lil bit. These next few 1sts and 2nds could need to be used for building/securing our strength, and adding weapons.

'Hein e KEE' could be the next whoever, we still have Allen, and Alex hasn't retired yet. After FA(Stafford etc.)

We can reexamine what younger Qb we need. 

Does Cam know Turners system?? Is Cam still hurt??

Edited by TheShredSkinz
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

For the record:

Agree with the order but not the implied magnitude difference between each level.

I’d say:

Trubiskey>> The Stash>>>> Newton

I think Newton is effectively done as a consistent thrower of the football.

If his ego would allow for it he may be able to remake himself as a backup short yardage option QB ala Taysom Hill but his days of being a true franchise qb are behind him.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

I heard the reason Minshew hasn't been playing is because he hid an injury from the coaching staff to keep his starting job and the coaches got pissed and put him in the doghouse.

Personally, I don't want anyone with character concerns after the circus we just dealt with so I'm out on Minshew and out on Zach Wilson.

For this question, don't think about whom you want to start at QB in 2021. Think about whom you want to start at QB in 2022, and prioritize getting them on the roster in 2021. That's the starting point. Because you don't want to pin your contention hopes in 2022 on a QB who's new to the system, new to the receivers, new to the coaches, etc.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I heard the reason Minshew hasn't been playing is because he hid an injury from the coaching staff to keep his starting job and the coaches got pissed and put him in the doghouse.

Personally, I don't want anyone with character concerns after the circus we just dealt with so I'm out on Minshew and out on Zach Wilson.

Are there questions about Wilson's character?  I ask because I haven't seen anything about it and after sunshine he's my favorite QB in this year's draft 

Just now, DazedSkinsfan said:

Are there questions about Wilson's character?  I ask because I haven't seen anything about it and after sunshine he's my favorite QB in this year's draft 

There's one source floating around that says he's a rich entitled spoiled brat, uncle owns JetBlue, is a know-it-all, selfish and not a leader.

Now I haven't corroborated that myself obviously. I'm just taking it at face value. Maybe it's BS. But if it's true, I'm out. Don't want another headcase after the one we just dealt with.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

There's one source floating around that says he's a rich entitled spoiled brat, uncle owns JetBlue, is a know-it-all, selfish and not a leader.

Now I haven't corroborated that myself obviously. I'm just taking it at face value. Maybe it's BS. But if it's true, I'm out. Don't want another headcase after the one we just dealt with.

We do head cases well here lol

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Just the kind of guy that lights up Dan Snyder’s radar 😳

45 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Some Teams Have Makeup Concerns with Zach Wilson
Updated Dec. 23, 2020
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

Recently, CBS reporter Jason La Canfora broke some interesting news that some NFL teams felt BYU quarterback Zach Wilson could go high in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft and be the second quarterback selected after Clemson's Trevor Lawrence. Since the end of the 2020 NFL Draft, Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields has been the consensus second-rated quarterback, but La Canfora quoted an executive who felt Wilson could go ahead of Fields. After reading that excellent report by La Canfora, WalterFootball.com followed up with team sources to see if they agreed with that contention. Multiple sources said it was possible that Wilson could go ahead of Fields and high in the first round, but they also said that some teams have character and makeup concerns with Wilson, so there could be some discrepancies across teams and a lack of consensus.

In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

"Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."

That college director outlined the makeup of Wilson well, but his team is strict on character, so perhaps that plays into them having Wilson as the fourth quarterback.

In speaking to a director of college scouting from another team, they said this regarding Wilson in the first round:

"[Wilson]'s going to go high. He may rise to the second quarterback in the draft. I think he's a second-rounder, but I just feel the quarterback spot is different than others and the round is just a starting point. The postseason process changes a lot. He is as talented as the rest, minus Lawrence."

Rounding out the responses we got from team sources, here is what we heard. A third college director thought Wilson would go late in the first round or early in the second round. A player personnel director thought Wilson would go in Round 1, and a senior director of player personnel thought Wilson would go in the second round.

Thus there is big variety in prospect evaluation across the league, and those spreads can happen with quarterback prospects in particular. Add in that some teams have football-character concerns with Wilson, and he could have a big range in the 2021 NFL Draft from high in the first round to somewhere in the second round.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Cam will bring nothing. He can’t throw to receivers under 6-5. He can’t run like he used to. He’s done. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure I care if Zach Wilson is a rich, spoiled dick, as long as he has a work ethic and wants to be great. It’s not like Aaron Rodgers is supposed to be some kind of nice guy. Tom Brady isn’t a rich spoiled weirdo that makes out with his son? 

I want someone that has traits, production, a work ethic, and wants to be great.