Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Aannnnd the Schefter bomb.

Russ doesn't want a trade, but if one was forced he would only go to Dallas, New Orleans, Chicago or Vegas.

I'd add for those I notice on twitter, etc who talks about how Wilson has a soft spot for the team he grew up rooting for -- that's obviously out the window when you got us apparently off his short list and our long time hated rival on it. 

I watched this.  I've read that they want to resign Winston but according to this report getting a QB is on the table, too. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add for those I notice on twitter, etc who talks about how Wilson has a soft spot for the team he grew up rooting for -- that's obviously out the window when you got us apparently off his short list and our long time hated rival on it. 

I know QBs are not a dime a dozen. But I don't think I want Russ anyway. He clearly wants to be a brand ... and he is 32. The difference is he wants the control in Seattle or at least the respect ... Watson on the other hand is 25/26 and feels betrayed by the utter chaos that is the Texans. I'd much prefer Watson to Russ, if I had to choose.

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

talk a while back was they really felt comfortable with someone in the draft. Someone attainable too, mid rounder ??

I'm really starting to think we enter the draft with Heinecke and Allen as our QBs haha. It might "make us vulnerable" but if someone falls to #19 or close enough to trade-up, we consider it. But I do think we have a mid-round guy we are okay adding to the group and having a Heinecke - Allen - Mid-Round Rookie as the likeliest QB room in 2021.

The good news is that likely means we are able to use 3 of the 19/51/74/82 picks on WR, OT, LB ... and add some legit talent in FA. The team as a whole in 2021 will be very good and deep, with QB the remaining question.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Feels like they have a target as a backup plan in the mid rounds. They are not going Vinny wild after players which is awesome! They are being methodical

I do think we like a QB in the draft. Not sure who. 

I also think we really like Carr, but can’t quite get to him.....yet. With Mariota the fallback if (and when) he gets cut.

Intriguing QB situation around the league, so much uncertainty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I know QBs are not a dime a dozen. But I don't think I want Russ anyway. He clearly wants to be a brand ... and he is 32. The difference is he wants the control in Seattle or at least the respect ... Watson on the other hand is 25/26 and feels betrayed by the utter chaos that is the Texans. I'd much prefer Watson to Russ, if I had to choose.

The only thing holding me back from spending a decade on Watson is his two ACL surgeries.  

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

You have a different theory every day :ols:

Seriously though lol. In my defense, every day brings different news. But I do trust JP Finlay and he seemed to be leaning heavily toward the "as is" option. Everything else (trading up, trading for a stud) ... seems unlikely anyway, so that is the most likely path. I like this draft below ... don't love Trask. Just took him over Newman in that spot to change it up. Although I'm sneakily liking the idea of pairing Newman and Surratt to get some re-living of their dynamite 2019 season at WF.

image.png.7032cb5ec03b356134d03f806dc43f26.png

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched this.  I've read that they want to resign Winston but according to this report getting a QB is on the table, too. 

NO have Taysom Hill on an absurd amount of guaranteed cash for a team 70mil over the cap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Seriously though lol. In my defense, every day brings different news. But I do trust JP Finlay and he seemed to be leaning heavily toward the "as is" option. Everything else (trading up, trading for a stud) ... seems unlikely.

image.png.7032cb5ec03b356134d03f806dc43f26.png

I think Trask goes in the 2nd round MABYE early 3rd. 

WalterFootball.coms writeup on Mariota, then Tenn. drafted him.  I find it interesting as we have Zampese as QB coach.  Try paralleling Tennessee with the coaches and mindset of the WFT minus us getting help at WR, which I expect us to.  It seems to match to me.  Maybe it's just me.

WalterFootball.com: 2015 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Marcus Mariota

Tennessee would be a great landing spot for Mariota. He has a proven offensive quarterbacks coach in Ken Whisenhunt to develop him, with some young talent at wide receiver, running back and on the offensive line. The Titans would be a great organization for Mariota to land with.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That draft was stacked, but every team needs a QB today and the importance has only increased every year. I can see less of these trades to move up because so many teams want to draft a QB high (meaning teams staying put in the top 10).

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't agree with PFF all the time but i am with them as for the digs at Darnold. :ols:

Whoever wants Darnold on this team must be a USC fan or something. Darnold is the worst QB I’ve seen in this league in recent memory next to haskins. He’s absolutely awful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you have a QB like Wilson, why wouldn't you want his input on the offense?  I'd sit down and design it with him if i were the OC.

Also, WTF happened with Tua?  Now he's a bust?  With QB the crapshoot that it is (e.g. Darnold, Mariota, et effing al) and salary cap issues being the tail that wags the dog, trading up for a QB (or anyone, really) will, in a few years, cost you (and set you back) bigtime.  If you want to win consistently in the National Salarycapfootball League, spend $$$ on a scouting dept., trade out of the first round altogether, acquire lots of lesser-round picks, and stock up on guys who really love playing football.  Once you've got your nucleus ("40 men together can't lose"), wisely make some big FA signings and/or trade for disgruntled stars on dysfunctional teams.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

One of the few reasons I hypothesize baseball will be king again 20-30 years. The grown up fan values being attached to a team not an individual. There’s a form of purity to it and football has had that as well— ultimate team game. 

Or gambling takes over the world and no one cares outside of their bet that night. 

Welcome to the party!

But Newton, who threw eight TD passes and 10 interceptions last season, will be a tough sell to a vocal part of the Patriots' fan base that understandably didn't like what it saw in 2020. It was always going to be a drop-off from Tom Brady, but the depths to which the passing game struggled-- albeit with a lack of top pass-catchers around Newton -- was dramatic.

Another question the Patriots are likely asking themselves in their strategically patient approach: Would Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Marcus Mariota be an upgrade?

The Raiders face a salary-cap crunch, they need to improve their defense, and Mariota ($10.625 million base salary) might be a backup-QB luxury Las Vegas cannot afford. Thus, if the Raiders can land a mid-to-late-round draft pick for Mariota, they might be motivated sellers for a player who could also be in jeopardy of being released.

ESPN NFL analyst Tim Hasselbeck, a backup quarterback in the NFL from 2001 to 2007, could envision Mariota in New England.

"The Patriots love to be value shoppers, Marcus Mariota played really well last year in relief, he's due just $10.5 million, which means he could easily be paired with a young quarterback," Hasselbeck said on ESPN's Get Up this week. "His ability as a runner, but also as a passer, I think it would actually be a great fit in New England and makes a lot of sense."

Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo might make the most sense for the Patriots, given their background together (2014-17). But the San Francisco 49ers have no urgency to trade him unless they know they have an upgrade in place.

Deshaun Watson would be an option, but the Houston Texans are reportedly telling teams he isn't available. Meanwhile, the New York Jets might trade Sam Darnold, but that potential QB domino falling doesn't seem imminent.

Which all comes back to the Patriots and timing.

It's one thing to be strategically patient -- kicking the tires on Matthew Stafford, staying out of the Carson Wentz fray, and studying free-agent possibilities such as Jameis Winston (New Orleans Saints), Ryan Fitzpatrick (Miami Dolphins) and Mitchell Trubisky (Chicago Bears) -- at this point of the NFL calendar.

But with free agency approaching March 17, the clock is ticking and could soon force the Patriots' hand.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4822288/cam-newton-marcus-mariota-jimmy-garoppolo-patriots-must-move-soon-at-qb