Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Cam isn’t someone I advocated for, but as I’ve said previously, he does check a lot of boxes.  Other posters reactions - I didn’t see Cam play last year - has mostly dissuaded me.  However...

To me, Cam wouldn’t be the bridge type qb we’re looking for (though it’s possible) and almost certainly not the franchise qb we’re looking for (maybe a sliver of possibility here), he’s insurance for Allen and Heinicke that costs very little cap and zero picks.  

Adding him doesn’t change our qb search a whit, IMO - we can still try to draft one, can still try to trade for one; Cam can be cut, or one of the other two can be if it came to that.  Added interesting factor, he’s a name (as opposed to Allen/Heinicke) that can give a sense of hope to the team and FA receivers, and can make us look a bit less desperate for a qb, potentially changing slightly the nature of negotiations with another team.

Also interesting, signing Cam over Fitzpatrick (not saying this is my preference) actually means we have more FA resources to in turn help our qbs. If Cam, Heinicke and Allen all pretty much suck, this isn’t going to help us much.  If one of them emerges though, the maybe the extra cap spent on additional players, or a higher tier player(s) makes a difference.

Part of me would rather roll with Montez or some other youngster (I generally prefer potential/youth to experienced ‘blah’ play), but I can understand a hesitancy to do that by the FO if you guess Allen/Heinicke quite possibly don’t make it through 1/2 the season.  

It wouldn't surprise me if we are really sold on Mariota to see us give up a day 3 pick for him before being released.  If Mayhew and Hurney are high on him, then RR may go that direction.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This is getting ridiculous.  With the way Wilson and Watson and possibly other QBs are acting about wanting to be OC and QB why do teams need offensive coaches.  No, I disagree.  QBs listen to their coaches and do as they are told.  This may become a big issue in time.   Guess I am old school.  Let the coaches coach and the players be coached and play the game.

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t it Seattle that first mentioned the idea of reading Russ and not Russ saying he wants out?

Also, most QBs that have been long established and have succeeded with a team get a bit of leeway in terms of their opinions of personnel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t it Seattle that first mentioned the idea of reading Russ and not Russ saying he wants out?

Also, most QBs that have been long established and have succeeded with a team get a bit of leeway in terms of their opinions of personnel.

I think it all depends on exactly how much control Wilson is/was looking for. If it's just input and having a voice when coming up with a playbook, personnel, and game plans...then yeah, to me that's expected of an elite veteran QB. But if he's closer to wanting to have final say or to basically be the primary voice in how the entire offense is run then that's a different story. That's a headache and some teams will possibly be turned off by it when it comes to potentially giving up multiple 1st round picks for a guy.

Wilson is a great QB but if he could potentially bring cancer to your locker room or team, it might not be worth it. 

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Cam isn’t someone I advocated for, but as I’ve said previously, he does check a lot of boxes.  Other posters reactions - I didn’t see Cam play last year - has mostly dissuaded me.  However...

To me, Cam wouldn’t be the bridge type qb we’re looking for (though it’s possible) and almost certainly not the franchise qb we’re looking for (maybe a sliver of possibility here), he’s insurance for Allen and Heinicke that costs very little cap and zero picks.  

Adding him doesn’t change our qb search a whit, IMO - we can still try to draft one, can still try to trade for one; Cam can be cut, or one of the other two can be if it came to that.  Added interesting factor, he’s a name (as opposed to Allen/Heinicke) that can give a sense of hope to the team and FA receivers, and can make us look a bit less desperate for a qb, potentially changing slightly the nature of negotiations with another team.

Also interesting, signing Cam over Fitzpatrick (not saying this is my preference) actually means we have more FA resources to in turn help our qbs. If Cam, Heinicke and Allen all pretty much suck, this isn’t going to help us much.  If one of them emerges though, the maybe the extra cap spent on additional players, or a higher tier player(s) makes a difference.

Part of me would rather roll with Montez or some other youngster (I generally prefer potential/youth to experienced ‘blah’ play), but I can understand a hesitancy to do that by the FO if you guess Allen/Heinicke quite possibly don’t make it through 1/2 the season.  

Well said....I want to believe that the coaches really like Heiny and Allen and are willing to see what they have in them. Adding a Cam or Fitz would be solid veteran insurance. We are still trying to build the roster so the more money and picks we have the better the roster will be which will help the QB situation. I could see Fitz winning games with a solid cast around him...just don't make him have to do it all on his own. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think it all depends on exactly how much control Wilson is/was looking for. If it's just input and having a voice when coming up with a playbook, personnel, and game plans...then yeah, to me that's expected of an elite veteran QB. But if he's closer to wanting to have final say or to basically be the primary voice in how the entire offense is run then that's a different story. That's a headache and some teams will possibly be turned off by it when it comes to potentially giving up multiple 1st round picks for a guy.

Wilson is a great QB but if he could potentially bring cancer to your locker room or team, it might not be worth it. 

I just read the full Athletic article expose on it.  From what they reported he didn't want final say.  but from his camp apparently the coaches/FO valued other players on the team's input over his.  He wanted them to sign Antonio Brown, they didn't do it, then he saw him help Tampa Bay win.  He wanted them to play a more aggressive offense and devote more resources to the offensive line.  Sounds like his camp's take is that they don't take his input seriously -- nothing there about him wanting to have a final say.  He seemed more upset about the scheme they run and them ignoring his input about it than it was about personnel moves.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

I cannot stand Russell Wilson so despite him being a top QB, I really wouldn't want him here.  Its irrational but seriously, **** that guy.

BUT it's ridiculous Seattle doesn't take his input more seriously.  Teams gotta wake up to the fact that superstar QBs are just different when it comes to that stuff.  Players have realized how much leverage they have and for the "get off my lawn" folks in here, it's not going to revert back to the glory days of old for you.  Times have changed.  Star QBs expect to be treated differently and its not going away.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just read the full Athletic article expose on it.  From what they reported he didn't want final say.  but from his camp apparently the coaches/FO valued other players on the team's input over his.  He wanted them to sign Antonio Brown, they didn't do it, then he saw him help Tampa Bay win.  He wanted them to play a more aggressive offense and devote more resources to the offensive line.  Sounds like his camp's take is that they don't take his input seriously -- nothing there about him wanting to have a final say.  He seemed more upset about the scheme they run and them ignoring his input about it than it was about personnel moves.

If that's the case then I could be a bit more on board with it. If he just wants his input to be taken more seriously, I can understand that. Especially if they value other players' input over his.

That being said, I don't fault Seattle's FO for balking at signing AB. Dude is a straight up headcase and I think it's only a matter of time until he wears out his welcome in TB.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Wilson to the Raiders will do, if it makes Carr expendable. I’ll take him at this stage.

Though the thought on it by some is that Carr would be part of the package to land Wilson. 

On another note, I agree with Ledyard's point below.  I think there is an off perception that Miami is stacked with talent.   It isn't.  But its a cheap roster and they have a lot of picks.  They got a lot of runway to grow.   They've done a nice job building their defense but their offense (aside from QB) is more bereft of talent than we are.  However, with the picks they got it could change fast. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I've been sitting here watching Mel Kiper

There are so many better analysts than Kiper and McShat. They're standard, ESPN, yell at the camera, accuse chestnuts of being insolent, and make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark.

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, if San Fran goes after Fields, then Garrapolo will probably become a Patriot.

Lynch, for what it's worth, said Garrapolo will be the 9ers starter this year. Which would not take them out of the running for someone like Lance, who would have to sit for a year.

45 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we are really sold on Mariota to see us give up a day 3 pick for him before being released.  If Mayhew and Hurney are high on him, then RR may go that direction.  

what to take on that awful contract? Or renegotiate that first?

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, if San Fran goes after Fields, then Garrapolo will probably become a Patriot.

I would think Garrapolo ends up back in NE, I will be surprised if the 49ers don’t bail out of that contract anyway.

It looks like Wilson does have a no-trade clause in his contract. So if they do agree to trade him (definitely not a foregone conclusion) he'd basically have veto power over where he goes. So he might go to teams and tell them that he'll only come if he gets a pretty big say in how the offense is run. Should be interesting.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Bro you should change your name to Kama Sutra because you've taken every position there is to finding the next quarterback lol

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Bro you should change your name to Kama Sutra because you've taken every position there is to finding the next quarterback lol

Who hasn't 86?  :)

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1