Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

The sites have a base of 175m but then add our rollover on of 20/21m to show 196m available.

What is confusing is that recent reports also imply the floor may rise to 195m.

In that case, we go 195m plus 20/21m rollover to 215/216m available.

Against spend already allocated of 145m, we are left with either 50-70m for starters.

(20/21m not to be confused with the year 2021:rofl89:)

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The sites have a base of 175m but then add our rollover on of 20/21m to show 196m available.

What is confusing is that recent reports also imply the floor may rise to 195m.

In that case, we go 195m plus 20/21 rollover to 215/216m available.

Against spend already allocated of 145m, we are left with either 50-70m for starters.

(20/21m not to be confused with the year 2021:rofl89:)

That’s where the confusion is. The NFL doesn’t know what next year’s cap number is. Currently it’s at 175 but subject to change (which is how it’s looking to be expected). Sportrac has it at 175 plus our rollover of 21, but it could be as much as 195 with rollover. Either way it’s in good shape.

Edited by PartyPosse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I'm with you.  Mariotta had plenty of opportunity to show who he is and who is is a
QB who is not good enough to be a starter, especially on a team looking for that guy to push them into contention.   

Regardless of what they do it's obvious that they are going to make a move at the most important position in football, possibly in all sports. It will be interesting to see what ends up happening.  

When I look at Mariotta, I think of Tannehill....how he thrived in a new system later in his career. Mariottal has a game similar to Cam in that running is a big part of his game. I'd be cool with Mariotta coming here after having lots of time to sit, watch and learn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The rollover is included in the top number.

175,000,000 + 21,411,281

Ahh, ok so if Florio is correct in thinking the cap is around $195M next year that means we can add that $20M to our current number of $50M which puts us at $70M.

I thought Sportac was already using the higher cap ceiling number and leaving out the rollover cap until I found that graphic I posted.

So that puts us where I thought we were with or without Alex on the team.

We'll set aside $10M of that for the season and rookie pool which should leave us an opportunity to go get a couple players.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 2

I guess we will find out in 24 hrs if Haskins can start a run of good games that will prove most of wrong.

My head and gut tells me it is not likely but my heart to cheering for Haskins to surprise all of us.

Despite his flaws, A local kid coming back to play for his home team as a QB is a story that all us should be cheering for!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

When I look at Mariotta, I think of Tannehill....how he thrived in a new system later in his career. Mariottal has a game similar to Cam in that running is a big part of his game. I'd be cool with Mariotta coming here after having lots of time to sit, watch and learn. 

Thing is he really doesnt fit what Turner wants to do. I dont know if Turner can adapt his system or not. He has shown me enough over the past few weeks to know that he is at least a decent OC. To me Mariotta is a RPO Qb. Nothing wrong with that. Bit not what Turner does right now. He wants his QB to get the ball to his weapons quickly. But Turner is also an analytics guy. So maybe he can adjust.

19 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Thing is he really doesnt fit what Turner wants to do. I dont know if Turner can adapt his system or not. He has shown me enough over the past few weeks to know that he is at least a decent OC. To me Mariotta is a RPO Qb. Nothing wrong with that. Bit not what Turner does right now. He wants his QB to get the ball to his weapons quickly. But Turner is also an analytics guy. So maybe he can adjust.

Turner is only what we've seen.  What we've seen are game plans and play calling to the strength of the QB and weapons on the field.  It's reasonable to expect broad versions of what he truly envisions as he didn't pick all his guys.  Likely AG and McKissic are his only tells this year.  Example might be that his system really needs a QB and multiple deep threats to make it all work.  If they acquire a QB and WR/TE in 2021 then I'd want to see that version of what his idea looks like.  He probably only has 50% or less of the guys he needs to make his vision possible.

• Like 1

Longtime lurker of the board, used to post under a different user name but giving myself a fresh start just like our Washington Football Team! 

Anyways, just wanted to chime in and say that QB1 HAS to be priority one this off season, though don’t see too many on here suggesting otherwise. I don’t think there’s a shot Alex is back, but I am in absolute agreement with those who believe he’s a huge component in a team that can win and a team that flounders, stats be damned. 

Im also going to throw this out there but quite possible egg ends up all over my face. But Haskins is going to have a good game tomorrow and throw another wrench in this whole discussion. Will be interesting to see it all play out! 

1 minute ago, SweatSuit said:

Longtime lurker of the board, used to post under a different user name but giving myself a fresh start just like our Washington Football Team! 

Anyways, just wanted to chime in and say that QB1 HAS to be priority one this off season, though don’t see too many on here suggesting otherwise. I don’t think there’s a shot Alex is back, but I am in absolute agreement with those who believe he’s a huge component in a team that can win and a team that flounders, stats be damned. 

Im also going to throw this out there but quite possible egg ends up all over my face. But Haskins is going to have a good game tomorrow and throw another wrench in this whole discussion. Will be interesting to see it all play out! 

GoatFrerotte?

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Everyone wants to use Tannehill without recognizing that he has Derrick Henry and the other 31 starting quarterbacks do not.  Including us.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Everyone wants to use Tannehill without recognizing that he has Derrick Henry and the other 31 starting quarterbacks do not.  Including us.

Antonio Gibson is not Derrick Henry but he is a budding star in his own right and a good threat out of the backfield.

• Like 1

If any of the three 2020 QBs are starting Week 1 2021 rest assured we have fully embraced wasting a championship caliber defense. I'm not totally opposed to drafting a Mac Jones, but  we need someone else to start in 2021 and it cant be Allen/Haskins/Smith. They have already shown their varying ceilings, none of which can put us in actual contention for a title. Smith is a great story, but I hope it ends with him mentoring with a clipboard and not a helmet next year. 

That being said, I don't have the answer to who would be a fitting Week 1 starter based on availability, but we have to get creative.

• Like 1

4 weeks ago I was hoping for a top 5 draft pick (QB), now I am pretty caught up in the playoff push fever. I do feel a bit of whiplash from accepting a rebuild year so this team could be built right over multiple seasons to "the Super Bowl window opens next season " so pay and/or trade whatever you can to add offensive firepower. I think a compromise can be had. One to two Teir 1 free agents with the rest from lower teirs and use all eight draft picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiss Mike Rumph said:

If any of the three 2020 QBs are starting Week 1 2021 rest assured we have fully embraced wasting a championship caliber defense. I'm not totally opposed to drafting a Mac Jones, but  we need someone else to start in 2021 and it cant be Allen/Haskins/Smith. They have already shown their varying ceilings, none of which can put us in actual contention for a title. Smith is a great story, but I hope it ends with him mentoring with a clipboard and not a helmet next year. 

That being said, I don't have the answer to who would be a fitting Week 1 starter based on availability, but we have to get creative.

This. There’s really no justifying going into next year with the same 3 unless somehow Haskins goes off and even then I wouldn’t trust him as the franchise guy with no competition in the building. Allen is going to be here as a low cost option who knows the system. Alex is going to retire, and even if he doesn’t he can’t be counted on as the guy for a full 16 games. Haskins has his shot tomorrow but it’s not likely he cements himself as the guy down the stretch no matter how good he plays. It’s absolutely the priority number one and will be fascinating to see what direction they go. Give us a QB and we will win a Super Bowl in the next three years, guaranteed. Don’t mess it up WFT.

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree.  Tannehill would have been a great pick up.  I've always thought that Marriota would do better but the change of scenery can make a big difference.

I think he is Rivera's type of player.  Someone with potential and cheap.  

Stafford would be intriguing.  He seems to have our number.  

Would rather have Haskins completely turn it around and becomes the next Big Ben.  I refer to Roethlisberger because they are more pocket passers than scramblers.

3 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I think a lot of people are still sleeping on Kyle Allen.  While I hope we still draft a round 1 QB this spring, Kyle has a lot of promise/upside and is still young.  Would love to see him as a starter Week 1 and have the rookie push him as competition. 

I'm not sleeping on Kyle Allen, no way,  I like what he brought to the offense. There are so many ways we can go with this....I just hope we don't trade any picks to get a QB unless it is a guaranteed fit who we know can come in here and immediately challenge defenses. Lets see if Dwayne can show up today and make it even harder for the team to decide. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm not sleeping on Kyle Allen, no way,  I like what he brought to the offense. There are so many ways we can go with this....I just hope we don't trade any picks to get a QB unless it is a guaranteed fit who we know can come in here and immediately challenge defenses. Lets see if Dwayne can show up today and make it even harder for the team to decide. 

I like Kyle Allen but his arm limits him to being a good backup. If we have Stafford starting with Allen backing him up, we are in good shape at the QB position

I don't know enough about how the current contracts space out but it seems like the window on the D-Line won't be open forever and it's the strongest unit on the team. If we're going to win something, it's going to be while this unit is together. In that context, I *think* we should be in win now mode next year.

Edited by Stadium-Armory
  • Like 1