Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for 2021???


Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

226 members have voted

  1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

    • Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

    • Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
      0
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
      0
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
      0


Recommended Posts

Darnold had a strong handful of games when Robby Anderson was the hot WR name around the league. He's been living off hype for a while, I'd be disappointed if he was signed expecting to be strong competition for the starting job. I'd be livid if my team signed him to be the starter out the gate.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the QB's that are available in FA, or could be available by Trade, Derek Carr would be the only one I would go for, but I would only give 1 1st round pick, if the Raiders don't like it then I would go with Heinicke. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Of all the QB's that are available in FA, or could be available by Trade, Derek Carr would be the only one I would go for, but I would only give 1 1st round pick, if the Raiders don't like it then I would go with Heinicke. 

 

I think there's almost no way they'll just roll with Heinicke and assume he's the guy, even after signing him to a modest contract. For one, his body of work is incredibly small. For another, he has an injury history and doesn't appear very sturdy (he got dinged up in the TB game as well and barely came back in). RR himself has hinted at both of those things as concerns when talking about him and their QB situation.

 

The fact that they're looking to be potentially aggressive in the QB market seems to indicate that as well. I think if we completely strike out on all good trade options, we'll at the very least bring in some mediocre FA QB who has proven he can at least play in the league. Heinicke will get a chance to compete with him and Allen in camp, but there's no way they'll just hand the reins to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Don't recall.   But the knock from this dude was basically he's not a good player for various reasons which I listed - the personality he was mixed on, nice guy, works hard, laid back, quiet, not a leader.  

 

Herbert killed it from the jump as a player.  As the Jets reporter said, Darnold has been the worst Qb in the league for a chunk of his tenure. 

Yeah, Herbert was my guy last year. Still happy with the choice of building the D first. It's almost there, and look what the Bucs did with three tiers of defense. 

 

Darnold, to me, reminds me too much of Jason Campbell.

 

A Mariota style option would be interesting, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's Alex Smith than Heinicke to a first round QB in 2022. Maybe that hint of a trade down in round one this year to stock up for next year has some validity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading picks for jags like Carr or Mariota, or worse, a bust like Darnold, is a clear example of buying high in a seller's market.  It would be bad teambuilding.  The only assets you should ever give up for a journeyman or reclamation project are cap dollars.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Mariota has the potential to be a similar level QB here to what Smith has been. Maybe not an obvious major upgrade, but younger, more mobile, probably more durable, and significantly cheaper in terms of money. 
 

Is that good enough? Maybe not longer term. I can see some short/medium term value though.

 

Would much rather have Carr though, by a distance. 

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Trading picks for jags like Carr or Mariota, or worse, a bust like Darnold, is a clear example of buying high in a seller's market.  It would be bad teambuilding.  The only assets you should ever give up for a journeyman or reclamation project are cap dollars.


With Carr, i think you are right, the price is clearly going to be way higher that it should be, driven by the market.

 

I actually think Mariota is a probable cap casualty, so I would hope we are holding off on trading anything remotely near a decent pick for him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Darnold had a strong handful of games when Robby Anderson was the hot WR name around the league. He's been living off hype for a while, I'd be disappointed if he was signed expecting to be strong competition for the starting job. I'd be livid if my team signed him to be the starter out the gate.

 

Honestly, his draft pedigree is the only reason anybody cares.  If he had the exact same career but were a 4th rd pick instead of 3rd overall, nobody breaks a sweat worrying about where he's gonna go.  But he's got that residue of folks thinking he's got untapped potential. And people blaming Adam Gase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Box score doesn't show everything, but as a math guy I'm going to look into the box scores and question what it can't tell me. 

 

You ask who was the primary target. I'd guess that at least 50% of the time (probably closer to 65%) the primary target is Smith. That's why he leads the team in receptions and he is the most talented WR on the team, heck in the nation (won an award for it). So If Smith wasn't the primary target but still caught 110+ balls then I'm wondering why the coaches didn't make him the primary target more. If he was the primary target, then it means that Jones didn't come off the primary target on a lot of his throws. Not saying he can't, just saying he didn't. 

 

The QB position is the most important on the field. And every year there are a bunch of big name QBs that come out and bust in the NFL and every year there are a bunch of QBs that surprise everybody. Jones is a big name because of his stats and his school but not in terms of the top names of the draft. He is often right outside of the top 4. It may be settled that he's the 5th best in the draft but that's where I'm looking into. He doesn't have the reps of a Kellen Mond or a Trask or the mobility of a Newman. So I'm just looking into his numbers more. 

 

I've seen discussions on this topic on Alabama boards as well so its not like it came up out of nowhere. Its just something I observed in the stats too. 

 

https://www.rolltidebama.com/forum/threads/is-mac-jones-too-dependent-on-devonta.524387/

 

 

Those anomalies are worth noting, but to get a better answer, you would eventually have to watch the cutups.   From what I can see, Jones cycles through reads very quickly and its hard to even tell sometimes whether he is going from primary to secondary reads or whether he is just looking off defenders for the primary reads.  This is one of his strongest traits IMO.  He is very smooth and consistent looking through reads and looking off defenders or pump faking them.  Many plays that he goes to Smith he is looking off other guys or cycling through reads quickly and you have to look close to see it. 

 

If i had to guess an answer to why Smith, even being dominant as he is, got the lions share of receptions,  it would be a combination of good Alabama scheme and very good qb play.   Jones consistently got Smith the ball in stride in the short game, looked defenders off of his double teams, and threw him open when he seemed covered.  They played good teams that were certainly focused on stopping Smith, but never could.  This is a pro to Jones and Smith IMO.

He didn't need to spread it around. Jones was that good and their scheme/qb play fed him the ball.

That is what I see at least. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think Mariota has the potential to be a similar level QB here to what Smith has been. Maybe not an obvious major upgrade, but younger, more mobile, probably more durable, and significantly cheaper in terms of money. 
 

Is that good enough? Maybe not longer term. I can see some short/medium term value though.

 

Would much rather have Carr though, by a distance. 


With Carr, i think you are right, the price is clearly going to be way higher that it should be, driven by the market.

 

I actually think Mariota is a probable cap casualty, so I would hope we are holding off on trading anything remotely near a decent pick for him.

 

And even though Mariota is Carr's backup, I think Mariota would be more effective than Carr in today's NFL because of his mobility and ability to run.  Carr would be better with a perfect offensive line, but we don't have that.  Heck, we're not even set at LT.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think Mariota has the potential to be a similar level QB here to what Smith has been. Maybe not an obvious major upgrade, but younger, more mobile, probably more durable, and significantly cheaper in terms of money. 
 

Is that good enough? Maybe not longer term. I can see some short/medium term value though.

 

It's funny because when Mariota was coming out in the draft, the big comparison was Alex Smith.  LOL

 
Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I've noticed over the years is that there is a lot of blather and misdirection out there this time of year when it comes to free agency and the draft. Teams aren't going to tip their hands (and actually seem to try and deceive others), and the media guys need to stir up stuff to attract clicks and eyeballs. I pretty much just stop following NFL coverage during the winter unless it's actual news of cuts or signings. I'm also at a disadvantage to some of you in that I don't follow college FB. My assumption is always that we never know how any given college QB is going to do in the pros, with the *possible* exception of a Trevor Lawrence type. And I'll say that even his trajectory depends largely on what happens around him. Going to the Jaguars will do him no favors.

 

Rivera undoubtedly has a plan of action--probably a priority order of guys he's interested in. I strongly doubt the WFT will go into camp with just the existing QB roster, but I don't think Rivera is going to give up the store for just "some guy." He seems conscious of rebuilding the team according to an overall plan, and I'm sure he'll get the highest guy on his list that balances with the overall spending and cap plan.

 

Winning the division is kind of a double-edged sword for Rivera, because it buys him some extra time and goodwill from Snyder but it also increases expectations for 2021 perhaps past the point of reasonableness.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

Those anomalies are worth noting, but to get a better answer, you would eventually have to watch the cutups.   From what I can see, Jones cycles through reads very quickly and its hard to even tell sometimes whether he is going from primary to secondary reads or whether he is just looking off defenders for the primary reads.  This is one of his strongest traits IMO.  He is very smooth and consistent looking through reads and looking off defenders or pump faking them.  Many plays that he goes to Smith he is looking off other guys or cycling through reads quickly and you have to look close to see it. 

 

If i had to guess an answer to why Smith, even being dominant as he is, got the lions share of receptions,  it would be a combination of good Alabama scheme and very good qb play.   Jones consistently got Smith the ball in stride in the short game, looked defenders off of his double teams, and threw him open when he seemed covered.  They played good teams that were certainly focused on stopping Smith, but never could.  This is a pro to Jones and Smith IMO.

He didn't need to spread it around. Jones was that good and their scheme/qb play fed him the ball.

That is what I see at least. 

 

 

When watching some Bama games and cutups I saw both sides of it. There were times that Jones hit Smith in stride with great passes, but there were also times that Smith bailed him out by going up and making an amazing catch.

 

I also saw several times when Jones somewhat underthrew a deep ball but Smith was just SO damn wide open that it hardly mattered, so he could slow up a little bit and make the catch without the defender catching up to him.

 

Now, most of these weren't way underthrown...but in the NFL most of them wouldn't have been TDs probably, because guys rarely get THAT open outside of completely busted coverages. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1) I think the Eagles have to trade Carson Wentz soon. The market’s not strong for Wentz for a variety of reasons. The contract (a team trading for him is locked in for two years, at $47.4 million) is one issue. The tape, which was horrific last year, is another. A third less-talked-about problem is the growing reputation Wentz has of not reacting well to hard coaching. All of which is why the Eagles’ initial asking price—the return the Lions got for Matthew Stafford—was enough of a non-starter for some teams to drop out of the running altogether. Ultimately, I think GM Howie Roseman’s goal, in asking for so much, was to come away with a 1 and something else. At this point, I don’t think he gets a first-rounder for Wentz at all, without some strings (maybe a salary dump or picks going back) attached. Which, if you look at what we were saying when Wentz was benched in December, isn’t all that surprising. This is just who Wentz is as a quarterback right now. And the proof is there in that the teams that know him best, the Bears (John DeFilippo) and Colts (Frank Reich, Press Taylor, Mike Groh) haven’t put together a strong enough offer to get Philly to jump. My guess is he lands in Chicago, and that’d be good for him. DeFilippo played the bad cop in Philly for Wentz over the quarterback’s first two years in the league, and going there would force Wentz to confront the lingering hard-coaching question head on. (Indy would be good for him, too, for a lot of obvious reasons.)

 

2) I don’t think the Raiders are trading Derek Carr. Like we said last week, that’s the impression that teams who’ve inquired have come away with as well. And the word I’ve gotten from people in Vegas too. I do say that with a caveat—It’s possible that Jon Gruden becomes smitten with a quarterback in the pre-draft run-up, or that Watson becomes available, and Vegas decides to go all-in on him. But right now, given the Raiders’ cap situation (tight) and where they’re drafting (17th overall), the smart money has Carr playing a fourth season for Gruden. It’s also worth noting, while we’re here, that Carr has posted three 4,000-yard seasons and has improved his passer rating—which topped 100 the last two years—every year he’s played for Gruden. There’s no question that, at first, there was friction as a result of Gruden’s tough-love approach and propensity for constantly seeking a quarterback upgrade. But since, I think things have stabilized, which, to me, is an acknowledgment by the team, and the coach, that they’ve got a pretty decent situation as it is. And especially now, with Carr under contract over the next two years for a total of less than $40 million. (As for Marcus Mariota, the Raiders’ lines are open for calls.)

 

5) My guess is that Sam Darnold’s name will continue to come up. We told you last week four teams called the Jets, in the aftermath of the Stafford trade, to inquire on Sam Darnold’s availability. More have called since, I’m told, and the answer those teams got was the same that the ones calling before got—Check back with us soon. Right now, the Jets coaching staff is working through its tape evaluation of the draft-eligible quarterbacks, which is a huge piece to all of his. The job, for the Jets right now, is to compare and contrast what it has in Darnold (at 23, with a year plus an option year left on his contract) to what Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance (coming on new/affordable rookie deals) could be for them. There are a lot of teams that would be obvious potential landing spots. Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Chicago and San Francisco make sense, pending what happens with Wentz, and the scarcity of available names (and I mean actually available, not just potentially available) right now could drive Darnold’s value up. Either way, it’s a good spot for Jets GM Joe Douglas and new coach Robert Saleh to be in.

 

6) I think the Jets and Dolphins are in position to deal their Top 3 picks. That doesn’t mean either will (I think the Jets, for one, are more likely than not to stay put). It does mean that there will be a market for both the second and third picks. Teams will emerge from the Wentz situation with a quarterback. Others are quietly looking for an upgrade over who they already have, or for an heir to put behind an aging starter. I think because of all that, teams will look at 2 and 3 as potential places to get those things, and with four guys that I believe are seen as worthy of going in the Top 10, whoever gets there will have options. Would teams have to go that high to get them? Well, if you’re paying attention …

 

7) The Falcons had a very strong presence at Lawrence’s Pro Day. And it wasn’t just the number there—a league-high four—it was who made the trip. The Atlanta traveling party included coach Arthur Smith, GM Terry Fontenot, offensive coordinator Dave Ragone, and VP of player personnel Kyle Smith, where most teams sent college scouting directors, national scouts or area scouts. So why would they go, knowing Lawrence ain’t making it to their pick at 4? Well, there’s always the just-in-case element here. But moreso, it’s what another scout offered as a reason. He said that he wanted to be able to see Lawrence in person to help him really understand the difference between him, and Wilson, Fields, and Lance, so if his team were to decide to take a quarterback (this team would be one that would look at it), he had proper context for the situation. Which tells you Atlanta is probably seeking the same sort of context. Yes, owner Arthur Blank has said Matt Ryan will be on the roster next year. But no, he didn’t say it wouldn’t be with his heir apparent there too, competing for playing time. So put the Falcons square in play for a quarterback at 4.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

 

And even though Mariota is Carr's backup, I think Mariota would be more effective than Carr in today's NFL because of his mobility and ability to run.  Carr would be better with a perfect offensive line, but we don't have that.  Heck, we're not even set at LT.   

 

Well, we don't have a perfect offensive line, but we do have a very good one. PFF ranked them #6 overall at the end of last season. 

 

That being said, I don't think it matters, because I don't think Carr is going to be available. And even if the Raiders DID decide to make him available, it sounds like they'd be asking for a king's ransom (like two 1sts) and that would be a hard pass for me (and probably RR and company as well).

 

We may very well end up with a Marcus Mariota reclamation experiment...which I'm extremely "meh" about. Though I suppose as long as we don't have to give much up for him it's whatever. I wouldn't go past a 4th or 5th. Maybe they'll take a mediocre player for him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

 

When watching some Bama games and cutups I saw both sides of it. There were times that Jones hit Smith in stride with great passes, but there were also times that Smith bailed him out by going up and making an amazing catch.

 

I also saw several times when Jones somewhat underthrew a deep ball but Smith was just SO damn wide open that it hardly mattered, so he could slow up a little bit and make the catch without the defender catching up to him.

 

Now, most of these weren't way underthrown...but in the NFL most of them wouldn't have been TDs probably, because guys rarely get THAT open outside of completely busted coverages. 

I saw that too but I think this is just smart play most of the time.  If your guy is that wide open you play it safe on those throws and just put it out there where you know he can catch it.  Something that I wish some of the WFT QB's would have done more of.  So many overthrows over the years. :(

 

When you see those wide open throws, look at Jones right after the snap.  Sometimes he does just go right to a wide open Smith but a lot of times he is looking off safety coverage too.  He does this often and well. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, profusion said:

Rivera undoubtedly has a plan of action--probably a priority order of guys he's interested in.

Man, I think their plan is to go after Dak. That's why they haven't pulled the trigger on any trades. I'd be shocked if they made a QB at QB before Dallas tags Dak. If they don't tag him, I think he's coming to DC.

Edited by CrypticVillain
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mistertim said:

but there were also times that Smith bailed him out by going up and making an amazing catch.

Eye of the beholder, I guess.  Some might say Smith was bailing out Jones, as you say here, but others may instead see that Jones threw the pass accurately to where only Smith could catch it and the downside was an incompletion, rather than an interception.  Throwing it to where the defender cannot make a play on the ball is not a bad thing.  Knowing the abilities of his receivers is an important skill for a QB, IMO.

Edited by Number 44
typo. Mixed up Smith and Jones. Aliases? LOL
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Bullock's takes typically.  He was wrong about Haskins but everyone gets some wrong. 

 

I am not dying on a hill for any of the 2nd option types, including Mariota, if we can't get a perceived top QB.  I am also not a big believer on betting on outliers.  But if I had to play that game and roll the dice on someone if I can get them cheap it would be Mariota.  He has high intangibles and is a special athlete for that spot.   All mobile QBs aren't equal as for their athleticism.  4.5 speed is borderline sick level speed for a QB.  And his career in Tennessee while was dissappointing was far from a train wreck ala what you have with Darnold. 

 

 

 

 

 

https://www.sportsblog.com/tntitans/titans-fans-and-players-unite-to-cheer-on-marcus-mariota/

...Mariota was a model franchise QB off the field

 

However, the man the Titans took second overall in the 2015 NFL Draft has traded in the blue for silver and black. On Monday Night Football against the LA Chargers, Mariota got his chance to shine when Derek Carr went down with an injury.

The long-time starter for the Raiders suffered what looked like a serious groin pull late in the second quarter. He was replaced by Mariota and Carr did not manage to return. He was spotted on the sideline in the second half without pads or his uniform on.

 

In nearly three quarters of action - adding in the possession in overtime - I thought Marcus Mariota was pretty damn good. He ran the ball with conviction. He made some dangerous, yet well placed throws. He led the offense with poise and certainty right when Jon Gruden's team needed it.

 

Though the Raiders lost in heartbreaking fashion in OT and will likely miss the postseason here in 2020, Marcus Mariota proved to the doubters that his NFL career is far from over. His former teammates and Titans fans alike were there on social media to cheer on the Oregon grad.

The players clearly respected and loved Mariota, that much has been clear for some time now, his stint with the Titans simply didn't work out. Maybe he will be given a second chance under Gruden while Carr is out injured.

One thing is for sure when it comes to the Tennessee Titans and Marcus Mariota: the fans, players, and coaches will always support the high-fly Hawaiian in whatever he does!

Mahalo, Marcus!

 

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tennessee-titans-nfl-las-vegas-raiders-marcus-mariota-twitter-reaction

Titans Players Revel In Mariota's Fast Start With Raiders

Quarterback's former teammates take to Twitter after he takes his new team to the end zone on his first possession.
Quarterback Marcus Mariota may have lost the job as Tennessee Titans starting quarterback to Ryan Tannehill in the middle of last season. But he did not lose any love and respect from his now-former teammates.

Mariota, who signed with the Las Vegas Raiders this past spring, replaced starter Derek Carr, who hobbled off the field with a groin injury in the first quarter against the Los Angeles Chargers Thursday night.

On his first drive in the second quarter, Mariota completed all three of his passes for 70 yards and ran once on an option play for a gain of 11 yards and a first down. He capped the drive off with a perfect 35-yard touchdown pass to tight end Darren Waller.

The seven-play, 86-yard scoring drive sent several of his Titans teammates into a Twitter frenzy.

Pro Bowl safety Kevin Byard may have had the best reaction of all, tweeting: “Let’s go Marcus!! Now I am really tuned in.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

I saw that too but I think this is just smart play most of the time.  If your guy is that wide open you play it safe on those throws and just put it out there where you know he can catch it.  Something that I wish some of the WFT QB's would have done more of.  So many overthrows over the years. :(

 

When you see those wide open throws, look at Jones right after the snap.  Sometimes he does just go right to a wide open Smith but a lot of times he is looking off safety coverage too.  He does this often and well. 

 

 

There's no doubt that Jones is a smart QB, but IMO some of that was also a display of his limited physical skills. Some of those balls you could tell he pretty much put everything into it and it still was a bit underthrown. I do think Jones is probably a safe bet to at least be a decent NFL QB but I also think his upside is very limited due to his limited tools. I wouldn't hate the pick if we drafted him, but I wouldn't exactly be enthusiastic about it.

 

That being said, RR has mentioned a couple of times that leadership and physical tools are both very important things to him for a QB. So I sort of doubt that Jones is their guy. I'm sure he's a good leader, but his lack of great tools might potentially limit what an offense could do. 

 

23 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Man, I think their plan is to go after Dak. That's why they haven't pulled the trigger on any trades. I'd be shocked if they made a QB at QB before Dallas tags Dak. If they don't tag him, I think he's coming to DC.

 

I'd also be a bit shocked if they gave a potential $175+ million contract to a guy who can hardly walk at the moment.

 

There's almost no way that Dak is going to be able to demonstrate that he can still play football before FA starts. He's currently hardly even putting any weight on the ankle and FA starts about a month from now.

 

All we'd be able to do is have our doctors give a yay or nay and then just hope he's still the same guy after a devastating injury. That's a big ass gamble. One I'm not quite sure RR would take. 

 

I think it's possible that the Cowboys try to tag and trade him, because they also won't know if he can still play and they're already in cap hell. So maybe they figure they can tag him and someone will take the gamble and pony up two 1sts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

 

I'll add let the Minshew rumors begin.  LOL

 

 

 

Is this team now the land of failed GMs? Hurney, Mayhew and now C. Polian, who was fired after leading his team to 2-14 in 2011. While I believe JAX has done a good job at acquiring talent in the draft, they've been quite meh in terms of acquiring FAs. Norwell was a good signing for them but Chris Conley and Joe Scho have been major busts for them.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

 

There's no doubt that Jones is a smart QB, but IMO some of that was also a display of his limited physical skills. Some of those balls you could tell he pretty much put everything into it and it still was a bit underthrown. I do think Jones is probably a safe bet to at least be a decent NFL QB but I also think his upside is very limited due to his limited tools. I wouldn't hate the pick if we drafted him, but I wouldn't exactly be enthusiastic about it.

 

That being said, RR has mentioned a couple of times that leadership and physical tools are both very important things to him for a QB. So I sort of doubt that Jones is their guy. I'm sure he's a good leader, but his lack of great tools might potentially limit what an offense could do. 

 

 

I'd also be a bit shocked if they gave a potential $175+ million contract to a guy who can hardly walk at the moment.

 

There's almost no way that Dak is going to be able to demonstrate that he can still play football before FA starts. He's currently hardly even putting any weight on the ankle and FA starts about a month from now.

 

All we'd be able to do is have our doctors give a yay or nay and then just hope he's still the same guy after a devastating injury. That's a big ass gamble. One I'm not quite sure RR would take. 

 

I think it's possible that the Cowboys try to tag and trade him, because they also won't know if he can still play and they're already in cap hell. So maybe they figure they can tag him and someone will take the gamble and pony up two 1sts.

You are right about that. There are clear underthrows on some of the real deep shots. That limitation is there.  Going to be interesting to see how it plays out on draft day. How the NFL values these things.  I still think he goes high.  Teams are desperate for any above average qb play.  Jones is very NFL ready, and with a rookie deal, is not a bad play in the mid first round. Not a bad play for the WFT either IMO.

 

This draft is going to be very entertaining this year.  A lot of good position groups in the first round with no real consensus on order.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, method man said:

 

Is this team now the land of failed GMs? Hurney, Mayhew and now C. Polian, who was fired after leading his team to 2-14 in 2011. While I believe JAX has done a good job at acquiring talent in the draft, they've been quite meh in terms of acquiring FAs. Norwell was a good signing for them but Chris Conley and Joe Scho have been major busts for them.

 

 

 

I agree with you in your assessment of Hurney, Mayhew and Polian.  Stokes is still ahead of Polian.  I have high hopes for Stokes as our future GM as I think he will be one day.  Let's see what putting all of these talking heads together w/RR being the one who makes the final picks produces.  Got to give it a chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Of all the QB's that are available in FA, or could be available by Trade, Derek Carr would be the only one I would go for, but I would only give 1 1st round pick, if the Raiders don't like it then I would go with Heinicke. 


Kyle before Heinicke if you ask me.  People are going overboard after just one game.  We will at least have a qb competition.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...