Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

18 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Its not money floating in the sky... he earned that money and he'd just willingly give it up? Hell no. 

JMO but we're talking about the NFL. Its all about the money. 

I did say it's his choice.

• Like 1

I haven't rewatched any of Mariota's Titans games yet.  But judging from some longish highlight films, Mariota looked to have good chemistry with Corey Davis.  I wonder if they trade for him whether that increases the odds they chase Corey in FA.

Corey's been banged up in his career.  He had his best season last year.  He can play slot and Z.  Both spots we need help.    I'd guess 15 million a season range?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Wow, this has Derek Carr as the NFL's 12th best 2020 starting QB - out of ALL 59 QB's who started in 2020.

And above Stafford.

This written by Tom Blair

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-ranking-the-59-starting-quarterbacks-of-the-2020-nfl-season

Carr's difficulty upgrading his status to no-doubt top-10 QB might help fuel the seemingly eternal speculation about his long-term future with the Raiders, but unless Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock have a line on someone definitively better (and there's really only one theoretically available player who fits that bill), any change at this point (including switching to Marcus Mariota) would read more like restless deck-shuffling than anything else. Forget about blaming the Raiders' collapse on Carr -- would they have even been in playoff contention without him?

12 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

You have admitted that you have watched him zero times.  Stats don't show anything about what you are talking about.  Ever.  Box score says he pass is complete to player A.  Who was the primary target?  Come on, man.  That Smith had a great season in no way is a negative for Jones.  It just isn't.  Don't worry, it's not just you.  As I said, I read others on this site and elsewhere that somehow claim that the fact that Jones played on a good team is a negative for Jones.  So, therefore, I guess we should only ever draft players from bad teams.  I really don't get that logic at all.  I guess also the theory is that somehow the key to winning a national championship is to recruit excellent players everywhere but quarterback.  That way any old slug can be your quarterback and you will win.  Logical?  I think not.

Box score doesn't show everything, but as a math guy I'm going to look into the box scores and question what it can't tell me. 

You ask who was the primary target. I'd guess that at least 50% of the time (probably closer to 65%) the primary target is Smith. That's why he leads the team in receptions and he is the most talented WR on the team, heck in the nation (won an award for it). So If Smith wasn't the primary target but still caught 110+ balls then I'm wondering why the coaches didn't make him the primary target more. If he was the primary target, then it means that Jones didn't come off the primary target on a lot of his throws. Not saying he can't, just saying he didn't. 

The QB position is the most important on the field. And every year there are a bunch of big name QBs that come out and bust in the NFL and every year there are a bunch of QBs that surprise everybody. Jones is a big name because of his stats and his school but not in terms of the top names of the draft. He is often right outside of the top 4. It may be settled that he's the 5th best in the draft but that's where I'm looking into. He doesn't have the reps of a Kellen Mond or a Trask or the mobility of a Newman. So I'm just looking into his numbers more. 

I've seen discussions on this topic on Alabama boards as well so its not like it came up out of nowhere. Its just something I observed in the stats too. 

https://www.rolltidebama.com/forum/threads/is-mac-jones-too-dependent-on-devonta.524387/

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't rewatched any of Mariota's Titans games yet.  But judging from some longish highlight films, Mariota looked to have good chemistry with Corey Davis.  I wonder if they trade for him whether that increases the odds they chase Corey in FA.

Corey's been banged up in his career.  He had his best season last year.  He can play slot and Z.  Both spots we need help.    I'd guess 15 million a season range?

I like davis too, he is also a good blocker.  I'm hoping injury history and underwhelming stats, along with decrease in cap, leads to a 10-12ish aav.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ryan Cowden was one of the GM interview, wasn't he?  If so, maybe RR has gotten info from him on both Corey and Marcus.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sportrac has him as commanding a 9-10 million dollar salary. Idk, the market will dictate but that’s what they think. And agree he fits what we need and is relatively young.  We’ve had so little to pair with Mclaurin that anyone competent and worth their salt may impact what we want to do offensively in a big way. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's more in the avg. of 10M per year and he's my second favorite FA WR as he plays like a beast.  Curtis Samuel fits the best in Turners offense imo.  Why not get both if you can as you bolster the WR and pull the trigger on trading for Orlando Brown to solidify the OL. 

Screenshot 2021-02-15 032917.png

Screenshot 2021-02-15 033652.png

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Mclaurin, Samuels, and Davis would be damn damn good. 

Damn straight and then ship the #19 pick and solidify the LT with Orlando Brown.  WFT would have both strong OL and DL enough to let whomever wins a QB1 job successful game plans week on week.  Heinicke, Allen or whoever else wouldn't have to carry the burden to play above their skill level...just run the offense and gain momentum. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Mclaurin, Samuels, and Davis would be damn damn good. 

I've advocated for that multiple times on here when ppl say we should chase A Rob.   He is a beast no doubt, but for a few mil more, you could have both samuel and davis.  Samuel, davis, and t mac can play all over, can add in running plays/jet sweeps, and can all block.  It would go from a weakness to a formidable unit, with great balance, overnight.  And they are all entering their primes, and will only get better.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Damn straight and then ship the #19 pick and solidify the LT with Orlando Brown.  WFT would have both strong OL and DL enough to let whomever wins a QB1 job successful game plans week on week.  Heinicke, Allen or whoever else wouldn't have to carry the burden to play above their skill level...just run the offense and gain momentum. 

You know what I like about this idea, no one ever wants to draft offensive line in the 1st round but, picking at #19, if we could trade that pick for a stud left tackle there's probably no better time to do it....Although I'd sell out to get Allen Robinson  in free agency and go hard after defensive playmakers in the draft. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

You know what I like about this idea, no one ever wants to draft offensive line in the 1st round but, picking at #19, if we could trade that pick for a stud left tackle there's probably no better time to do it....Although I'd sell out to get Allen Robinson  in free agency and go hard after defensive playmakers in the draft. 

Such a tainted draft with a covid 2020 college season simply ups the odds of you getting it wrong.  If you can flip picks this year for young proven talent then this is the year to pull that trigger.  Orlando Brown adds far more to the WFT taking the next step at that #19 slot except maybe adding Carr or better for similar cost.  I'm in the group that views Mariotta as not beating out Heinicke in Turners offense.  It would have to be Carr or better, otherwise I see using it on Brown this year as smart money. 

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

He's more in the avg. of 10M per year and he's my second favorite FA WR as he plays like a beast.  

Will see.

Spotrac doesn't set the FA market, they just like doing projections.  Not that different from a mock draft and the real deal.   Somewhat depends on what else happens.  For example, is JLC right and both Robinson and Gollady franchised?  And what is the competiton for said player?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will see.

Spotrac doesn't set the FA market, they just like doing projections.  Not that different from a mock draft and the real deal.   Somewhat depends on what else happens.  For example, is JLC right and both Robinson and Gollady franchised?  And what is the competiton for said player?

Yeah i think we all get that.  Agents are wizards too so who knows high it goes but it's a reference to avg of other similarly ranked and currents contracts.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

One Gruden's trash, could be one Rivera's treasure.

Just like Dwayne Has.... oh wait.

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah! Screw having any money left for any future free agents of ours! Those three would cost about 35 million (you would have to sign Brown to an extension almost immediately.

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah i think we all get that.  Agents are wizards too so who knows high it goes but it's a reference to avg of other similarly ranked and currents contracts.

I'd be surprised if he got just 10 million a year, if I recall years back as an example Richardson got 8 million a year and adjust that to the current salary cap I'd bet that's about 10 million a year, Robbie Anderson last year got 10 million a year.  I'd think Corey beats both guys. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1