Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Darnold won't be able to beat out Heinicke or Kyle Allen in an open QB competition in this offense so I don't see us giving up any real assets to get him.

I dare you Ron! Go ahead and give up a 1st rounder for Darnold and watch him get beat out in a preseason competition by two guys who weren't even drafted and see how that marinates all year with the fans and media.

I call BS

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 2

I'm more and more thinking that we need to keep the #19 pick for draft day and see what plays out all through the first round. Great players have a way of falling in the 1st round and we may find ourselves in a very good spot rather than overpaying for someone else's castoff QB in a trade. Sign a vet free agent QB and keep the 1st round pick to play with for the draft. I just saw a mock where Surtain falls to us.....he would be a steal at 19 imo. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kirk ended up getting even more money when his contract was up in Minny.  I don't even think I'd look at Kirk's situation to be exclusive to the QB spot but FA in general.  Typically the next best player who hits FA gets a big contract regardless of them being the best at their spot ala Hooper for example at TE in the last FA crop.  Cooper got paid last year in FA above and beyond better WRs in the league but heck that's FA. As far as I can tell this pattern has continued versus stopped/corrected.

He didn’t reset the market with his deal in Minny, but to your point, still got paid nicely. Tannenhill didn’t reset the market. The second tier guys are being properly slated behind the elite is what I’m seeing. 

Amari Coopers deal is hollow and lacks substantial guarantees. Lip gloss numbers, but I’m with you, in most cases over paying in free agency is often the norm. 

I think where the market has corrected is overpaying for crap QBs or QBs coming off of crap years like a Winston for example.  Teams aren't overpaying a dude like Keenum for example. 

Oh ya, this is/was part of my overall contention with the NFL.

Well, onto the next topic. 

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Not that I think it’ll happen, but it’s exciting to think about nonetheless.

But Russell Wilson would be one of the most exciting player acquisitions in franchise history. It would be kind of cool to experience that buzz again.

I know, it’s hard not to imagine the communal excitement and energy that pairing him with this defense would bring. Scary how seductive that is even when merely discussing a hypothetical. I feel the same way about Watson.

• Like 2

Anyone wonder or know how Montez matches up vs. Lance, Jones or the other second tier QB's coming out? The film I've watched on Montez from his college days is very good. I just wonder how he matches up as a prospect next to the guys I've named? I saw some reports where Mac Jones ceiling is as an NFL backup? If true, I'd rather take a proven at another position at #19. 

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Anyone wonder or know how Montez matches up vs. Lance, Jones or the other second tier QB's coming out? The film I've watched on Montez from his college days is very good. I just wonder how he matches up as a prospect next to the guys I've named? I saw some reports where Mac Jones ceiling is as an NFL backup? If true, I'd rather take a proven at another position at #19. 

He doesn’t match up against anyone that’s been talked about in this thread, even the bad ideas lol. He’s barely an NFL player and if Allen is healthy I doubt he makes the regular season roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, daveakl said:

In 2022 we trade a 1, 2, 2, 3 to move up in the draft and take Kedon Slovis, QB, USC

As far as my memory goes I can't remember any QB from USC who became a franchise QB in the NFL lately.

Edited by FrFan

Smith currently due to get 19mil in cash. Cap hit 24mil. If we cut him pre 1 June, we get 10/11mil in dead cap.

Last resort if we can’t get a vet QB, Smith takes a pay cut, comes back with a fully guaranteed salary in 2021 of say 5mil excluding incentives. Cap hit drops to 10/11mil similar to what we would incur in dead cap from cutting him.

Overall, he comes back on reduced terms and we create best part of 14mil in 2021 cap space. 

27 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Smith currently due to get 19mil in cash. Cap hit 24mil. If we cut him pre 1 June, we get 10/11mil in dead cap.

Last resort if we can’t get a vet QB, Smith takes a pay cut, comes back with a fully guaranteed salary in 2021 of say 5mil excluding incentives. Cap hit drops to 10/11mil similar to what we would incur in dead cap from cutting him.

Overall, he comes back on reduced terms and we create best part of 14mil in 2021 cap space. 

I'm into that idea. Not sure he'd get a chance to play for anyone else.

We are in the same place at QB we were a week ago. No reason to change trajectory our outlook on our plans. Only one domino has fallen so far this off season.

It is not a sure thing that you will go hungry at a feeding frenzy when no one is eating. Just gotta continue to remain patient and more deals will come along in time.

Already starting to see teams make the cap conscious choices in a crunch year. Should wiggle a few more trees as teams start making longer term plans.

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm into that idea. Not sure he'd get a chance to play for anyone else.

I’m not either, time to move on. Just throwing the math out there as a potential option the team may propose. 

That said, we’ve bulked up the FO and our priority is to solidify the QB position, I would still hope and expect us to make some form of tangible step forward on that front.

Wow I'm looking at this and Trey Lance's stats are eerily similar to Cam Newton's. Cam ran more and had more TDs, but wow. 

Atts : Cam - 292, Trey - 288

Comp % : Cam - 54.4, Trey - 67

Yards per att: Cam: 10, Trey - 9.7

TDs: Cam - 30. Trey - 28

Ints: Cam - 7, Trey - 0

Rush Atts: Cam - 285, Trey - 177

Yards Per Carry: Cam - 5.6, Trey - 6.7

Rush TDs - Cam: 25, Trey - 16

And like I said earlier Trey Lance compares best to some of the more athletic QBs with Cam, Vick and Murray being the top three results. That's a nice thing to think about.