Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yup, I think you're spot on. I think the scenarios as they play out are:

Trade for a QB

Sign Dak in FA

Trade-up for a QB

Hope someone falls to #19

Draft a mid-round QB target

Scenario 1 and 2 probably relegate Heinecke to QB2. But every other scenario leaves the door open for Heinecke as a stopgap. Even if we traded up for Trey Lance, he probably isn't put in a position to start until 2022 at the earliest, so even then Heinecke makes a lot of sense as the QB1. If Mac Jones is the pick at #19, he's coming in to compete for the job, and it is not being handed to him. And any QB taken after R1 should not be looked at as anywhere naer the QB1 unless they come in and just blow the windows out like  Russell Wilson.

I thin with injury concerns, Heinicke/ Allen start season and mid-season there is a re-eval.  Lance may take longer, but it will depend on if Heinicke looks like TB game over several week.  Otherwise, I agree with what you're saying.

Congrats to Taylor.

The thing I like about Taylor, and maybe the WFT is thinking the same thing, is that he is more then just mobile.  He actually has speed that can be a weapon.

If he cant replicate the level of passing that he showed in the playoffs, he will always have that to fall back on.  How long he can stay healthy running the ball in the NFL is questionable but that aspect of his game appears to be reliable and effective.

The WFT really needs a guy that can make plays with his feet on the roster. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If the dude ends up good, the 2nd year is smart.  Also we don't know if the 2nd year is even guaranteed and if so you got nothing to lose.  I've seen including here multiple 2 year contracts like that.  The 2nd year helps the team sometimes not so much the player because it gives them the option to stay or cut bait with the player. 

As for no one saw it coming, the beat guys (not just Finlay) have been acting like its slam dunk he's back.  

As for him being a fallback starter, yeah sure, why not, he's better IMO than Kyle Allen and I don't think Alex will be back nor can I trust him to stay healthy.

I'll post shortly what I heard in back to back podcasts on the Qb spot.  In short, they want to upgrade the position this year.  But if they don't, Keim mentioned some things that could be under consideration for next year including trading down in the draft to pick up 2022 draft trade capital.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/marcus-mariota-16726/

Agreed.  I think this contract is considering next year and we'll know later what the guaranteed portion.

Mariota was signed as a backup.  2 yr 17.6 mill.  Yes he was more known, but that 8.8 AAV is in line with #2 prices.  Locking in another year (that likely isn't much guaranteed or SB, so little dead money if they cu, getting the 2 year helps.  This is similar to what they did with McKissic and Logan Thomas and it's nice after their seasons they are already locked in. 

Actually, Logan Thomas is likely a good contract to consider.  2tr / 6.145mill.  2.25 SB, Average Salary 3mill.  If cut, only 1.125mill (half of SB) is dead money, with no guaranteed base for this year.  Add about 1 mill base to each season, maybe .5 mill to SB and you likely have Heinicke contract break down.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/logan-thomas-14531/

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I wonder if they could get 6 games out of Mariota, 6 games out of Heinicke and 5 games out of Allen this year and get thru a season?  😂😂 

Who plays the remaining 2?  How else do we get through the Superbowl?

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We've been swinging for the feces for years, bro!

Yea but the only time we did the first part.....put some talent around them first.....it worked. Im thinking Cousins throwing to Reed, DJax, Garcon and someone else I cant remember. I want something like that and THEN swing for the fence. Imo the only thing that messed that up for us was that we played contract games with Cousins and he really wanted to get paid. 

Im saying all that assuming the defense stays the same or close. Obviously that was the bigger problem when we had the above O. 

8 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I think Mariotta could be an option if Smith retires.  He is affordable for us and Raiders are way over the cap now.

I am thinking that as well. Mariota, Heinicke, Allen preseason battle. I am confident Allen would not prevail. And yes Smith gone

One concern is with Allen's current status, all 4 are somewhat injury prone

Perhaps they bring in that 3rd-5th round QB as the #3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wilson  Heck yes for me. But I think he likely goes #2.  Wilson's arm is sick.  He can run, too.  He's spiderman level elusive in the pocket -- sick highlights at times as for throwing off platform.  Lance has really good upside, I like him.   But Wilson IMO > Lance. 

Lance has great upside but Wilson is much more polished right now and Wilson has his own IMO sick upside.   My fear with Wilson is injuries because he plays with somewhat reckless abandon at times sort of like Heinicke where he's not afraid to take a hit whjen he should be.  Lance has some of that in him, too though but not as reckless.  

For me its Wilson-Fields a peg higher than Lance.  As for who I like better Wilson or Fields, it keeps changing but they are close to me.  I suspect Fields is the more likely of the two of them to drop.  But who knows?

Piece of evidence 4,384,365,238 why we invest way too much confidence in GM's and F.O.'s, if there is their reason, they are complete fools. Regardless, I'll enjoy watching them eat crow on Fields moving forward. Flat out morons. At least have a sound argument. Wahhh! OSU QB's bust. Wahhhh! We didn't get Josh Allen, he's repeatable in this other guys body. Idiots. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Yea but the only time we did the first part.....put some talent around them first.....it worked. Im thinking Cousins throwing to Reed, DJax, Garcon and someone else I cant remember. I want something like that and THEN swing for the fence. Imo the only thing that messed that up for us was that we played contract games with Cousins and he really wanted to get paid. 

Im saying all that assuming the defense stays the same or close. Obviously that was the bigger problem when we had the above O. 

I think you missed your typo in your post 😆

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

The quarterback bubble?  Lol the most important position in sports is a bubble.  In other news, Amazon stock craters to $10 a share.

Cap goes up, quarterback spending goes up.  Pandemic hits, cap goes slightly down for the first year ever and for 5 seconds the position seems a little overvalued.

Teams would be wise to categorize the position into difference makers and meh, and up the ante for the former and never spend much on the latter.  They wont.  Because HCs and FOs need to win to keep their jobs and there just arent enough difference makers to go around, plus there are a lot of poor talent evaluators in prominent positions and always will be.

"Bubble" haha.  The position only gets more valuable over time.

Ill grant you, there are are not many guys with the cost vs uoside equation that Mariota represents.  Granted the upside hitting is a really small percentage, but its not as bad as a lot of other options.

Winston falls in the same category but for whatever reason it just feels like its a foregone conclusion he returns to New Orleans and Im not sure why.

Both are table scraps but at least you can envision a back door flush hitting like 5% of the time.

Whats happening now is not sustainable for the NFL. Not the owners, not the teams, not the players. Whats happening now won't last. Its a bubble. Offenses are going to start dumbing down the QB position. The position is depleted. Outside of Watson and Mahommes you've got 32+ yo guys acting like kings. A bubble, a phase, whatever. 

Heinicke is a great interview.  I listened to the whole thing.  He comes off smart, articulate, humble. 

One cool quote that I didn't see anyone tweet was him saying when asked about the love he got from Chase Young was he thought part of that was driven by him being seen studying like crazy in the locker room leading up to the game.

I heard that the incentives are somewhat based on games he ends up playing.

• Like 2

Does this Heinicke re-signing change anything about the rest of the approach to the QB position (this offseason)?   Does it make it less likely that some kind of blockbuster trade or signing will happen?  Heinicke is sharing in his press conference that he was excited because he'd been told there will be an open competition for the starting QB position when camp opens.  I could see that if himself, Kyle Allen, and even Alex Smith are who returns....with Montez sort of on the outside looking in.  However, if the front office somehow manages to still bring in a starting caliber veteran.....?

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heinicke is a great interview.  I listened to the whole thing.  He comes off smart, articulate, humble. 

One cool quote that I didn't see anyone tweet was him saying when asked about the love he got from Chase Young was he thought part of that was driven by him being seen studying like crazy in the locker room leading up to the game.

I heard that the incentives are somewhat based on games he ends up playing.

I really liked where he said he needed to put on muscle and physically get himself prepared via twitter.  Don't know if he said it in the video as I am low on bandwidth (Hughesnet) internet.  IF he can do this and stay healthy, I think he has great potential.  

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I really liked where he said he needed to put on muscle and physically get himself prepared via twitter.  Don't know if he said it in the video as I am low on bandwidth (Hughesnet) internet.  IF he can do this and stay healthy, I think he has great potential.  

I think that's likely the key for him, can he stay healthy?  Like I've been saying this whole time, my cues on Heinicke for better or worse will be driven by Ron.  He knows him better than we do clearly.  He goes back years with him. 

I don't get the impression that what happens here changes though their plans in any way.  Ron talked about valuing a high end back up.

Keim said a little while ago on the air he expected Heinicke and Allen back.  Alex is the wildcard, he's guessing he's gone and will be replaced with someone new.  But if he returns it would be under a new cap figure versus the stats quo. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise