Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

31 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

This is going sideways, my only point I meant was Tannehill was a crappy QB that benefited from a change of scenery.

If you look back considering the 9.7 mill salary and the decline the 5th year option right away, I don't see any trade worth it for Darnold.  I'd take a shot if he was a FA, but that's not going to happen.

And he went to a complete team and wasn't the focal point of the offense. That's the way to go for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

idk why this is surprising. Yeah it’d be nice if they would just follow orders and play where they are but that’s not the world today. 

this is becoming the NBA at QB. We all know the value of QBs, and they’re finally coming to realize the power they have. 

Brady and Manning both won by going to a new team that was ready to win now. And they were able to bring in their guys and do it their way.

who, at the top of their craft like Wilson or Rodgers, wouldn’t want that? Anyone at that level of play has enough ego (or experience) to believe they could do the same 

We're always preaching about how the great teams build the personnel and playbook around the talent of the QB.

Well, who knows more than the actual QB what he needs? Russell isn't some rookie or scrub whose assessment can be dismissed as naive. There are GMs in this league who suck at their jobs, and prior to Ron, I would have had NO problem giving Russ the front office keys if he were our QB.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

And he went to a complete team and wasn't the focal point of the offense. That's the way to go for us.

I think I said that too.

If only I could put all my thoughts cohesively into one post, this would all be easier.

Although, I know I'm not alone since there are 338 pages and counting, haha.

• Haha 1

Brady and Manning are also not the best examples to equate with WFT's situation because Brady & Manning were also at the twilight of their career and the burden was also the franchises bringing them in to also break the banks in the short term to surround them with talent to win championships immediately.   I'd have expected any franchise that signed them to do the same thing.  

WFT is a young team for the most part. If they end up with a guy like Dak or Watson, the improvement in the offense will be immediate but there also isn't this burden to win a Superbowl in 2021 or even 2022 the way there would be with a Manning or Brady under center.  

Edited by NoCalMike

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I don't know.  This is kind of a tough ask for FO's and HC's of a team.  I suppose it's frustration there.

Funny thing....wasn't he sitting with Goodell at the SB? Coincidence?

Edited by tmandoug1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Damn...thought I had it!

Had what lol, Goodell works for the owners, not the players. He doesn’t have interests of his own other than being the face of the league people can hate for $40M/year, for the owners.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Had what lol, Goodell works for the owners, not the players. He doesn’t have interests of his own other than being the face of the league people can hate for $40M/year, for the owners.

Conspiratorial foot in the door type thing.....it was kind of a joke though.

43 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Honestly if it ends up with Dallas having Wilson but at an astronomical cost and us ending up with Dak for no compensation I'm all for it.

I'm coming to realize Dak may be our best option, but it will probably have to wait a year as the Boys will tag him again. But man $40 mil/year for a guy who is not elite would be hard.  

34 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I don't know.  This is kind of a tough ask for FO's and HC's of a team.  I suppose it's frustration there.

Yeah I agree. I sure don't want my QB involved in drafting decisions.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

He won the Walter Payton award.  That’s why he was with Goodell.

13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

RapidDependableHornedtoad-small.gif

• Haha 3

I had a crazy trade structure thought. Deshaun Watson for picks without including any players. Five 1st round picks. Every other year for 10 years. 

I’m not sure it’s worth it, but the structure is interesting to me in what it offers both teams. No long stretches without a 1st rounder for WFT. Big draft payday for Houston and a chance to have a ton of 1st rounders over the next 15 years. 

19 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I had a crazy trade structure thought. Deshaun Watson for picks without including any players. Five 1st round picks. Every other year for 10 years. 

I’m not sure it’s worth it, but the structure is interesting to me in what it offers both teams.

It's not. You need the first round picks because when done correctly, you get starters on cheap deals. You need good players on cheap contracts or else you end up with bloated free agent contracts and total risks in rounds 2 and 3. 

Given the craziness of the overall QB situation in the league, I can't help but think that either the most aggressive or most patient teams are gonna be the major players. In other words, those who aggressively pursue and get Wentz, Carr or Winston could be out of the running for the big names should they become available. That would reward the patient teams who don't panic for fools gold. However, if the big names (Watson, Dak, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Rodgers) don't come available, the teams that waited will be forced to try and force their way up to the top of the draft. Gonna take some shrewd GM's to manage this market....I have a feeling it's only gonna get crazier, especially depending on what happens with Dak. We may find out just how desirable it is to join Chase Young in Washington.

I like the situation we're in with Allen and Heinicke as fall backs while we patiently navigate the QB market....sounds like a high stakes game of poker amongst half the league with some big time coaches and GM's at the table. This is gonna get good. Makes you wonder how much the players will actively recruit like they do in the NBA?

49 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m not sure it’s worth it, but the structure is interesting to me in what it offers both teams. No long stretches without a 1st rounder for WFT. Big draft payday for Houston and a chance to have a ton of 1st rounders over the next 15 years. 

You can only trade picks from the following three seasons. 

• Like 1