Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Alex Smith is 99-68-1 and went 5-1 this year, vs. Stafford who went 5-11. Are you saying Alex Smith is a better option than Matt Stafford? Bc if so, we are so miles apart in our thinking that it doesn't make sense to continue discussing.  

If Alex didn’t have a bad leg, yes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.raidersbeat.com/clutch-quarterbacks-stats-say-derek-carr-is-among-the-best/

No QB in the history of the NFL has more fourth-quarter comebacks through their first five seasons than Derek Carr. And since entering the league in 2014, Carr is tied for first among all QBs in fourth-quarter comebacks and ranks third in game-winning drives during the same time span. In 2016, he notched seven game-winning drives, which was good for second-best in NFL history for a single season.

That’s all impressive, but I wanted to dig even deeper. What do the analytics say about the Raider gunslinger when the game is on the line?

For that answer, I reached out to my friend Austin Gayle (@PFF_AustinGayle), a Senior Content/Strategy Analyst over at Pro Football Focus.

Per Austin, among the 25 Quarterbacks with 100 or more dropbacks in the 4th Quarter/Overtime with the game within one possession (8 points) since 2014, Derek Carr ranks:

7th in PFF passing grade (82.8)

7th in adjusted completion percentage (77.8%)

Do you think our 1st (#19) and one of our 3rds is too much to give up for Carr?

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Again, I'm hoping a 1st and 3rd this year would seal a deal for Carr.  

I'd consider a 1st rounder "reasonable overpayment", so a 1st and 3rd I'd consider a high overpay but I could stomach it. Carr is a top 10 QB at a very manageable cap hit. Having Carr puts you in play for a WR like Allen Robinson, both in terms of cap space and Robinson knowing who's throwing him the ball. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, CapsSkins said:

I'd consider a 1st rounder "reasonable overpayment", so a 1st and 3rd I'd consider a high overpay but I could stomach it. Carr is a top 10 QB at a very manageable cap hit. Having Carr puts you in play for a WR like Allen Robinson, both in terms of cap space and Robinson knowing who's throwing him the ball. 

Exactly!  LVs D stinks it up.  Carr has to put up big numbers each game for them to win.  People need to gather info before making certain statements.

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

If you say Carr has a choking problem, that's a different story. But you cited a team win-loss record, which doesn't indicate anything about choking.

So you are correctly not counting W/L as a QB stat, but falling into the trap of overweighting one MNF performance you saw where he impressed you but lost to the Chiefs and another game where he beat Mahomes and the Chiefs? That makes no sense. Go watch him some more and come back, right now you keep falling back on the stats you’ve seen and the Mahomes matchups this year. That’s fine for a drive-by comment or light opinion but you keep commenting on the topic with caveats about how little you’ve seen of him. It’s like you’re digging your heels in more on him despite not watching more of him, just because people keep going back and forth about it like this with you. 

On 1/21/2021 at 1:39 PM, CapsSkins said:

In any case, I think Stafford2DC is more likely than Watson, who 1) I don't think will be ava

I saw an article that said the Houston wants 2 firsts 2 seconds and 2 young defensive starters for Watson.  Anyone willing  to give up the draft picks with Sweat and cam curl for Watson?

Just now, vegeta613 said:

I saw an article that said the Houston wants 2 firsts 2 seconds and 2 young defensive starters for Watson.  Anyone willing  to give up the draft picks with Sweat and cam curl for Watson?

Nope!  Man with two ACL surgeries and amount for his services.  Give me Carr for a 1 and 3!  Laugh all you want to.  Have respect though.  It better.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So you are correctly not counting W/L as a QB stat, but falling into the trap of overweighting one MNF performance you saw where he impressed you but lost to the Chiefs and another game where he beat Mahomes and the Chiefs? That makes no sense. Go watch him some more and come back, right now you keep falling back on the stats you’ve seen and the Mahomes matchups this year. That’s fine for a drive-by comment or light opinion but you keep commenting on the topic with caveats about how little you’ve seen of him. It’s like you’re digging your heels in more on him despite not watching more of him, just because people keep going back and forth about it like this with you. 

I'm not overweighting SNF, I'm going off his stats. My limited views of him add context to the stat sheet. I'm digging my heels bc his stats look like a top 10-15 QB but people are acting like he's a fringe starter and IMO not giving persuasive reasons as to why.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

I'm not overweighting SNF, I'm going off his stats. My limited views of him add context to the stat sheet. I'm digging my heels bc his stats look like a top 10-15 QB but people are acting like he's a fringe starter and IMO not giving persuasive reasons as to why.

Because stats are stats.  I watch 12 straight hours of football every single Sunday.  With multiple tvs.  Ive seen a **** ton of Carr and its plain as day to anyone viewing hes average af.

5 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Because stats are stats.  I watch 12 straight hours of football every single Sunday.  With multiple tvs.  Ive seen a **** ton of Carr and its plain as day to anyone viewing hes average af.

I Also watch 12 hours of football on every Sunday with multiple 📺 and I would have to agree with you. Watson is the only quarterback I can see worth trading for even though it will take a king's Ransom.

Edited by redskinsrmylyfe
  • Like 1

In 2020, Carr ranked:

#10 QBR

#11 ESPN's QBR

#11 passing yards

#11 TD's

#11 interception %

#6 yards per completion

#6 yards gained per pass attempt

#6 net yards gained per pass attempt (includes sacks)

#2 game-winning drives led by quarterback

Source: Pro-Football-Reference.com

I think the burden of proof is on people saying he isn't a top 10 QB right now, not me saying he is. :)