Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If Snyder starts interfering RR there will be rumblings and RR will resign I would think.  I don't think he takes it like Jay Gruden "which will never get another HC job in the NFL" did.

Dan has actually hired so many execs in the front office that I think he's building a wall between him and RR, the actual decision maker. After the year Dan has had, and the Haskins debacle that he created, I think even Dan knows to back off and stay out of the way. So far, since RR has been here, Dan has been on his best behavior from what we know. At least as far as letting RR call the shots. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Got to think we offer what all of us have expected our 1st and our one of our 3rds since we have two of them.  Maybe we can offer a conditional 3rd next year.  I'd offer one of our DL like Allen or Payne instead of the conditional 3rd rounder as well.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think this guy is an insider, he has a WFT podcast, but for those who might be entertained on the off chance this happened...

I kinda hope we get Carr, I just worry we over bid and start trading multiple 1st round picks and it hurts us.  I believe every player traded for 2 firsts in NFL history didn’t pan out.

Edited by heyholetsgogrant
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't think Snyder has anything to do with negotiations right now as well.  This is all RR.  I think if the team doesn't win then Snyder starts getting involved.  I think until that happens, it's RR's show.  Also, if Josina is reporting it; you know it's real.  She's dialed into the Skins.

My gut is the same as yours on this but I get the cyncism some have on Dan where you never know.   

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

My gut is the same as yours on this but I get the cyncism some have on Dan where you never know.   

Oh, I'm with you and them as well.  He's been way too meddling and I can see others believing that BUT I think if your winning Dan will stand aside.  I think he rears his head thinking he knows what's up and interferes when we are losing.  

2 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

I kinda hope we get Carr, I just worry we over bid and start trading multiple 1st round picks and it hurts us.  I believe every player traded for 2 firsts in NFL history didn’t pan out.

I don't think RR goes that high with 2 1st round picks.  Our 1st and one of our 3rd this year and maybe a conditional 3rd next year OR a player instead of the 2022 conditional 3rd.  Just a wild guess.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

is he reading my posts on here, said that a few hours back. The two moves go hand in hand...hopefully...

Yep, Godwin or Robinson would be my choices.  :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree, I not only think we will overpay for Stafford but then I think we will overpay in an extension. The only saving grace after the deal will be a SB win cause we will be all in on Stafford. 

Its the Dan way. That being said, we need a QB and this might be the price of getting the guy that takes us to the top. Stafford is a very good QB, give him a running game and a great defense and who knows how far he could take us....if we get him.

I’ve been saying it for weeks, if Dan was still completely in charge of personnel decision Haskins wouldn’t have been cut. Plain and simple. He’s way too ignorant to let the little strip club incident and the worst qb rating in the league weigh on his shiny hand picked draft pick.

My initial reaction is pass on stafford for anything more than a 1st. He feels so cousinsy. At the end of the year he has a solid stat line, but his team never pushes that .500 mark. 

it may still be a crazy thing to say around here, but i say we sign up heinecke, and see if we can get in the Watson/possibly dak sweepstakes. Let’s go for special, not slightly above average. Especially if it involves a bunch of draft capital and salary cap. Heineckes injury history is my only worry, I read up and watched far too much tape on him after his panthers appearance. I was dogged pretty hard for pleading that we start him against the Bucs. The kid has everything except for a cannon... and by now hopefully everyone here realizes that a strong arm is possibly the least important qb attribute.

point is, we have the D, let’s either go for broke on qb. Let’s not set the franchise back for Stafford if it involves much more than one 1st...

If people are willing to give up 1st plus more for 3-5 years of Stafford, why not three 1st plus more for 11-13 years of Watson?  I'm not convinced Stafford is worth that much, but if he is, then wouldn't Watson be worth the lofty price that's been floated?

So quick assessment at the Senior Bowl, nah the answer isn’t really there. Ron clearly had personal business to sort. All that out of the way.

#19 plus a 2021 3rd and future 3rd is my guess, then 3 years and a 100mil+ added to his deal so that it’s a 5/150+ stating now. Probably bags a another 50mil signing bonus.

Sounds fine by me, get it done this weekend.

Just now, bearrock said:

If people are willing to give up 1st plus more for 3-5 years of Stafford, why not three 1st plus more for 11-13 years of Watson?  I'm not convinced Stafford is worth that much, but if he is, then wouldn't Watson be worth the lofty price that's been floated?

Check out Watson's injury history.  He's had 2 ACL surgeries.  You want to give up the farm for that?  Not me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So quick assessment at the Senior Bowl, nah the answer isn’t really there. Ron clearly had personal business to sort. All that out of the way.

#19 plus a 2021 3rd and future 3rd is my guess, then 3 years and a 100mil+ added to his deal so that it’s a 5/150+ stating now. Probably bags a another 50mil signing bonus.

Sounds fine by me, get it done this weekend.

I believe there were tweets that NFL beat reporters were saying it would get done before the SB.  Your about spot on UK74.  That was my guess as to what it might cost.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't think RR goes that high with 2 1st round picks.  Our 1st and one of our 3rd this year and maybe a conditional 3rd next year OR a player instead of the 2022 conditional 3rd.  Just a wild guess.

Yep, Godwin or Robinson would be my choices.  :)

Actually just posted similar on the trade cost.

Receiver for me would be JuJu or David, although Golladay might be a contender if the Stafford move panned out. Injury would be a slight concern though.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

it’s encouraging to see our name being linked more heavily now. Stafford at the potential cost being implied would be an unbelievable move for us. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Oh, I'm with you and them as well.  He's been way too meddling and I can see others believing that BUT I think if your winning Dan will stand aside.  I think he rears his head thinking he knows what's up and interferes when we are losing.  

That's what most have said about him. 

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

it’s encouraging to see our name being linked more heavily now. Stafford at the potential cost being implied would be an unbelievable move for us. 

Agree.  It seems like until today we were dark horses in this judging by the national media.  Today we are hot.   🔥  Hopefully it means something. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Actually just posted similar on the trade cost.

Receiver for me would be JuJu or David, although Golladay might be a contender if the Stafford move panned out. Injury would be a slight concern though.

I'd think having Stafford here could take us from a bottom dweller organization for a good FA WR to join up to a potentially really good one. 

• Like 2

So to recap, we have 2021 picks in 1,2,3,3,4,5,7,7

Minimum cap space at today ~35mil. The floor is coming in higher, so say 40mil as a reasonable estimate. In 2021 cap terms, Scherff 10mil, Darby 5mil, Jon Allen extension cap neutral. Remainder 25mil.

Alex Smith post 1 June cut, adds back 19mil so back to 44mil. Stafford gets a 50mil SB and low 2021 salary, cap hit 12mil year one. Cap space down to 32mil.

Top WR year one cap hit 10-12 mil. Cap space down to 20mil.

Then you start to cream off some unnecessary contracts and start to really work the numbers. The above isn’t an exact science but it most definitely works within our cap budget.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'd think having Stafford here could take us from a bottom dweller organization for a good FA WR to join up to a potentially really good one. 

At a time when the whole organisation is trying to relaunch and rebrand itself, investing heavily in a top class QB seems an absolute no-brainer to me. 

Dream scenario both on and off the field.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Minimum cap space at today ~35mil. The floor is coming in higher, so say 40mil as a reasonable estimate. In 2021 cap terms, Scherff 10mil, Darby 5mil, Jon Allen extension cap neutral. Remainder 25mil.

Alex Smith post 1 June cut, adds back 19mil so back to 44mil. Stafford gets a 50mil SB and low 2021 salary, cap hit 12mil year one. Cap space down to 32mil.

Then you start to cream off some unnecessary contracts and start to really work the numbers. The above isn’t an exact science but it most definitely works within our cap budget.

we do this it really opens up the second round for us. Maybe try to find a MLB in FA or in the second round. Also have to address the line but puts us in a great spot going forward 

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

You're HIRED!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bearrock said:

How long did it take the Bucs to get to the SB after getting a good QB?

You don't need an over priced QB for the future. You need a good QB for 2021-2022 for a playoff run. 

5 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Curtis Samuel and draft a WR.

I’ve long promoted a move for Samuel, however I don’t think he’s top level enough on his own, and I think he may get vastly overpaid.

However, in principle I would like him here. Not sure it will fit in though.

3 minutes ago, Lovi said:

we do this it really opens up the second round for us. Maybe try to find a MLB in FA or in the second round. Also have to address the line but puts us in a great spot going forward 

Yep, second day LB, maybe a tier 2 free agent coming off a rookie contract. Both would be great.