Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I don't know if I'm an outlier, but I hope we don't acquire Stafford. My preferred scenario is to go with whoever wins a QB competition between Hieneke, Allen, and Smith (assuming Smith doesn't retire) and draft the best QB we can in the second or third round that we think after a year of coaching up can be our guy.

For whatever reason, I feel like Stafford coming here will be just another McNabb, Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Mark Brunnell, etc. situation. In other words, he might be a bum or he might be a very short term answer to fool's gold playoff aspirations, but he won't be a real answer to the QB question. More, I think Stafford will not last with us. He does have an injury history and we have a pretty thin line.

I started off not wanting Stafford but I am warming to the idea. And unlike others, if they decide he is the guy, the price is the price. I mean of course if they give 4 1st rd picks then someone needs to be analyzed. But virtually no matter what they pay, I promise the fans will think it's too much anjd many will be apoplectic. But for me, the true difference between a 2nd this yr or next along with #19, or if you even give #19 and a 3rd this yr and a 2nd next yr, it's still worth it IF you think he is really your guy. If the team is truly sold on him, then pay what you have to outside something ludicrous. 

May want to check his injuries. From 2011 through 2018 he never missed a game. In 2019 he did miss 8 gms due to injury but came back this year and played in all 16 gms. Not sure it's fair to say he has injury issues - does not mean he can't have them. But so far he has been pretty reliable. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I started off not wanting Stafford but I am warming to the idea. And unlike others, if they decide he is the guy, the price is the price. I mean of course if they give 4 1st rd picks then someone needs to be analyzed. But virtually no matter what they pay, I promise the fans will think it's too much anjd many will be apoplectic. But for me, the true difference between a 2nd this yr or next along with #19, or if you even give #19 and a 3rd this yr and a 2nd next yr, it's still worth it IF you think he is really your guy. If the team is truly sold on him, then pay what you have to outside something ludicrous. 

May want to check his injuries. From 2011 through 2018 he never missed a game. In 2019 he did miss 8 gms due to injury but came back this year and played in all 16 gms. Not sure it's fair to say he has injury issues - does not mean he can't have them. But so far he has been pretty reliable. 

While driving for some groceries, I listened to some local sports' radio. One of the hosts was suggesting Chase Young and a third rounder would be okay with him. In other words, you're right... I would be complaining that that price is too high and be apoplectic.

Would I trade Watson and a third for Chase Young?  Not sure, but that might be an argument worth having. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just seems odd to me that if another team makes a better offer than the Colts the Lions would send him to the Colts rather than the team that makes the better offer.  I don't know???

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Just seems odd to me that if another team makes a better offer than the Colts the Lions would send him to the Colts rather than the team that makes the better offer.  I don't know???

Sending him out of the conference has to have some appeal for DET, and he has plenty of say in where he goes if a deal is to get done. So it’s hard to say. 

Just now, RWJ said:

Yeah, I don't think Stafford has much say unless the team trading demands that a new contract be part of the trade deal. Stafford's only got two years left. That's the other downside of surrendering high draft picks or good players. The team getting Stafford is only getting a two year rental and the first year will probably be a wash as he gets familiar with the system.

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Something like 15 teams might end up with new QBs in 2021 and we're gonna be rolling with freaking Kyle Allen and Taylor Heinecke. Can't wait to go 7-9 again...

That might be true, but many of them won't go to the playoffs, even some of teams who gave up big hauls for a QB.  

Edited by heyholetsgogrant
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The guys plugged into the 9ers are saying Lynch is in Mobile to close the deal. 9ers trying to keep their 12, which might not fly.

Colts would have to offer their 1,2 and 3 just to match the 12th pick.

Also, the Ryans and Staffords are best friends.  Stafford would know exactly what he'd be getting into in SF.  Maybe there's an agreement to send him to the AFC and Stafford is picking the best option?

Edited by DisgruntledLionFan#54,927

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, I don't think Stafford has much say unless the team trading demands that a new contract be part of the trade deal. Stafford's only got two years left. That's the other downside of surrendering high draft picks or good players. The team getting Stafford is only getting a two year rental and the first year will probably be a wash as he gets familiar with the system.

Stafford has an enormous amount of say, he needs to agree to play for the team that is trading for him if DET wants to get a deal done. All he has to do is say “nah not gonna play there” and the buying team dips out. Why would you trade a bunch for an asset who won’t play for you. Really only QBs have this sort of leverage due to their monster contracts. And he’s got a good relationship with DET ownership allegedly, they’re gonna look for a mutually beneficial arrangement and I’d be surprised if they tried to screw him considering the fanbase has already been up in arms over the franchise’s treatment of Sanders for decades and Megatron more recently (and it was again in the news last week). The fanbase loves Stafford and ownership will do right by him imo while still getting a good deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CapsSkins said:

The arguably more important question is what Mayhew thinks of Jimmy G.

Jimmy G could probably pull an Alex Smith. Then again, what Alex does is trickier than it looks. His intangibles, especially the way he exudes leadership and keeps the troops calm/engaged should be appreciated.

Let’s just drop the Jimmy G chatter unless he gets cut, it feels like a waste. Nobody is gonna trade for that production on that contract, right? It’s not a Wentz or Goff contract but it’s not the sort of money you want to pay him given what he’s shown so far. I would hope Mayhew learned from one of Lynch’s bigger misses, rather than coveting Jimmy G just because he was in the same building. He’s not good. 

If he ends up a FA, okay let’s discuss him. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 4

WFT will have 4 QBs in camp.  Allen, Heinicke, a rookie flyer, and a vet not necessarily named Alex Smith. 

The rookie won't matter.  Whomever the vet is won't be named Stafford or Watson. 
They saw, vs TB that a QB in this type of offense must be capable of unscripted plays.  Elusive enough to avoid pressure, while keeping his eyes downfield. 

That type of vet QB is Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, and Mariota.

Building on improvements, to be a contender, isn't a single roster position for this years 7-9 team.  They're not close enough for a mega-deal move on 1 guy, even at QB because they'd cut off their nose despite their face. 

• Like 1

Just now, wit33 said:

I imagine Ron is wanting to lean on all trusted supports, but it’s his call. Don’t you think? 

Yeah but Mayhew has seen Jimmy up close and personal for multiple years, including inside the building, and knows him far better than anyone else - Ron included. If Mayhew says "don't bother" or alternatively pounds on the table for him, that would likely go a long way in influencing Ron's decision.

• Like 2

Jones just gets it.  I know he doesn't have a cannon for an arm but in Turner's O you don't need one.  I think he really fits our team best if we go with drafting a QB.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

This is from John Clayton's official twitter account.  He say Stafford to Washington. I posted it awhile back.  He believes WFT is the favorite and no other tweets or articles have been posted by him since.  Take it as you will.  :)  

https://twitter.com/JohnClaytonNFL/status/1354077973238964228?s=20

He was on one of the local radio stattions today, I presume that's when he said the colts.  I saw the article at the time from the other day about the WFT getting him.  But this I presume is after that. 

• Like 1

Ball placement and looking off WRs as he's done a ALA puts him in a different class to me.  I know, I know....I like the guy. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He was on one of the local radio stattions today, I presume that's when he said the colts.  I saw the article at the time from the other day about the WFT getting him.  But this I presume is after that. 

Well, the article was from yesterday so I guess the Colts are it right now.  :)  Oh well.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Jones just gets it.  I know he doesn't have a cannon for an arm but in Turner's O you don't need one.  I think he really fits our team best if we go with drafting a QB.  

His physical limitations would probably become evident pretty quickly in today's NFL I think. The playbook would probably have to be tailored more towards a guy without much of an arm. In the NFL the windows are smaller so he won't be able to get away with some of the throws he did in college. Not sure what about Turner's offense makes you think they don't want/need a mobile guy with a big arm.

I wouldn't be up in arms about the pick, but I don't really see him as anything special as a prospect. High floor, mediocre ceiling kinda guy. 

Just now, mistertim said:

His physical limitations would probably become evident pretty quickly in today's NFL I think. The playbook would probably have to be tailored more towards a guy without much of an arm. In the NFL the windows are smaller so he won't be able to get away with some of the throws he did in college. Not sure what about Turner's offense makes you think they don't want/need a mobile guy with a big arm.

I wouldn't be up in arms about the pick, but I don't really see him as anything special as a prospect. High floor, mediocre ceiling kinda guy. 

I can understand.  His physically abilities I agree with.  He lacks special qualities like Wilson/Lance and is nothing special but he can throw the ball short to intermediate in his passing well and see's the field well and makes good decisions.  That's what I like in a QB.