Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I highly doubt Rivera is gonna trade Allen who is one of our locker room leaders and is a super culture guy. Would just be awful for team morale.

If any of the DL gets moved it'd be Ion. He's the oldest, most expensive, and is coming off an injury.

Which makes trading him valueless also. Nobody is trading out Dline away thank god.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

When you're a team that's in "win now" mode that's banking an awful lot on a guy's performance in one game though isn't it? Especially when it's an undrafted guy who we pulled out of an engineering class at Old Dominion, who's been on 4 teams in 5 years, and has also had multiple injuries. Yes he played well when asked but it's not like he went out and threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs. Even if he had, I'd still be wary about anointing him the starter for the next season after one game.

if simms catches that first perfect deep pass he threw, he might have been close to those numbers. We also could have got a W and be god knows where in the playoffs right now.

No other qb has played that well in a big game for this team in arguably 20 years.  He simply lit it up, even Brady couldnt believe it.   So why is it crazy to expect him not to be able to do it again?  What else can he do to prove himself other then perform?  He does not have a significant history of not being able to perform in this league, at least not yet, only a history of not being healthy. But that is something that could change, you never know.

I expect the WFT to be aggressive going after another QB this year and be very hesitant to rely on an oft-injured guy like Heinicke but I also expect them to be confident that given the chance, he could play that well again.

Edited by CurseReversed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

If we want performance right now we should roll with Heine.

No other QB we saw with the team en 2020 even comes close to the kind of performance he pulled off against what could very well be the next NFL champion. 

Pick a decent QB in the draft and let him sit and learn. Keep Allen as a backup. Done.

I think this is probably what will end up happening but if they can sneak in and get a stafford or watson i wouldnt blame them.  I think its pointless to trade for a mid level guy like darnold or bridgewater though. Not unless its a 6th round pick or later. If they want to sign a vet, thats cool, or draft a guy in any round really, but dont trade picks for anyone that isnt a clear upgrade over heinicke or allen because they could end up being pretty good options.  Health is a factor but that why you have two of them.

4 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

If we end up with Darnold, I could legitimately see Heinicke or Allen beating him out. I'd rather Ron suit up and start ripping PA passes, than see Darnold in a maroon and yellow jersey.

Food for thought, the last time Darnold wore our colors he was pretty damn good....

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So is this where the Jamie Newman hype train starts? More the merrier as far as I’m concerned. 

As for the non first round types, he's been my other guy right after Ridder for months.  Though unlike Ridder, Newman wasn't playing last season so it was tough to do week after week hype for him like I did for Ridder.  😀   But if he burns up the Senior Bowl, I am very intrigued.   And said so about him before the Senior Bowl. 

If he burns it up in the Senior Bowl, I wonder if he ends up one of those shocker how did he go in the top half of the first round types.  His tools to me are very appealing. 

https://bulldawgillustrated.com/sports/uga-football-2/building-the-perfect-quarterback-jamie-newman/

Earlier this week, Pro Football Focus tried to construct the perfect college quarterback while using players from recent NFL Drafts. PFF is now trying to construct the perfect signal caller while using current college players, and the outlet used Wake Forest graduate transfer Jamie Newman for one his selected traits.

Newman is one of two current quarterbacks on Georgia’s roster that is a transfer. He’s a big, physical guy that has a strong arm and ability to be very mobile. In fact, that attribute PFF chose was Newman’s touch on the ball.

“One of the most heated debates in college football this offseason has been over who the third-best quarterback is behind Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. We here at PFF are among the few who have Georgia transfer Jamie Newman in that spot. The biggest reasons why we have Newman there are his under-appreciated arm talent and how he made the most of a bad situation at Wake Forest. Specifically, Newman’s touch is really the key driver in this — it’s the best in the country. Newman displayed great touch when leading downfield last year and dropped numerous balls in the bucket over his receivers’ shoulders. He had 22 such completions last year, which tied for the most among Power-5 quarterbacks.”

giphy.gif

“Newman’s top-notch touch is going to give Georgia something it didn’t really have with Jake Fromm: A formidable deep passing attack. Newman ranked second to only Burrow among Power-5 quarterbacks in deep (20-plus yard throws) passing grade last year with his great touch. He can thread the ball into tight windows with easy zip if need be or drop it perfectly over the receiver’s shoulder. And because of that, he’s our third-best quarterback in the country and looks poised for a big year with his supporting cast at Georgia.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

I think this is probably what will end up happening but if they can sneak in and get a stafford or watson i wouldnt blame them.  I think its pointless to trade for a mid level guy like darnold or bridgewater though. Not unless its a 6th round pick or later. If they want to sign a vet, thats cool, or draft a guy in any round really, but dont trade picks for anyone that isnt a clear upgrade over heinicke or allen because they could end up being pretty good options.  Health is a factor but that why you have two of them.

Yep, I like your theory. 

• Like 1

If the Jets decide to move on from Sam Darnold, either for a rookie or Deshaun Watson, they’re obviously going to have to trade him. And it will help that there should be plenty of teams in the market for a quarterback this offseason.

The problem is, there could be plenty of quarterbacks available, too.

In what could be an unprecedented offseason for quarterback movement, there’s a chance that more than half of the NFL’s 32 teams could have a new franchise quarterback by the time the 2021 season begins. Some of the changes will be due to trade requests, and some will be the result of organizational uncertainty or dysfunction, and some will just be about the opportunity to improve.

But the market could be flooded, which could make things difficult for teams like the Jets if they try to sell a quarterback who could be viewed as damaged goods. How will Darnold look on a market next to Watson or Matt Stafford, or maybe even Dak Prescott or Aaron Rodgers, too. All of them probably won’t be available, but none of their futures are locked in yet.

And all of them would be viewed as better options than Darnold, a 23-year-old who has struggled through his first three seasons in the NFL. Some teams might prefer to trade up in the draft for Ohio State’s Justin Fields or BYU’s Zach Wilson, too. They are at least financially preferable to Darnold, who’ll be entering the final year of his contract with a decision looming about his fifth-year option for 2022 (and about $25 million) this May.

What that all means for the Jets is this: If they decide to move on from Darnold, they might not be able to trade him for as much as they hoped. Yes they could put him in a package for Watson, but a stand-alone deal could be much more difficult to find. The assumption around the NFL was the Jets could get at least what the Cardinals got from Miami for Josh Rosen in 2019 – a second-round pick.

But with so many possible options on the market, it might be tough to see them getting any more than that.

Here’s a look at some of the potentially available options this offseason for quarterback-needy teams:

Sam Darnold

He’s still well-regarded for his talent, and there’s a general feeling that his first three years were ruined by poor coaching and a bad team around him. But three years of struggles and injuries won’t be easily dismissed, especially with a potentially big payday looming.

Deshaun Watson

He’s the big fish in this pool at age 25 with three Pro Bowls already and signed through 2025 with a possible out in his deal after 2023. His cap hits the next five years average about $28 million, but the way quarterback prices rise that’ll look cheap soon enough. If the Texans deal him – still an “if” – he’s likely to cost three first-round picks, plus. The Jets are one of a very few teams with the draft capital to pull that off.

Matthew Stafford

He’s only 33, has a rocket arm and loads of talent, and like Darnold has been dragged down by poor coaching and bad teams. Since he’s due $53 million over the next two years he’s more appealing to a ready-to-win team like the Colts or 49ers, and he might only cost one first-round pick in a package. He could also be a good bridge for teams like Washington and Carolina. And don’t rule out the Cowboys for the Dallas native since they haven’t signed Dak Prescott yet.

Dak Prescott

Crazy, right? But the Cowboys couldn’t sign him last offseason and had to use a $31 million franchise tag on him instead. Now, with decreased revenues and a smaller cap due to the pandemic, signing him could be tougher. And while they could franchise him again, that number will go up to almost $38 million. The Cowboys want him back, but there’s reportedly been no actual negotiations. And now Jerry Jones could have other options.

Aaron Rodgers

Crazier, right? Probably too crazy. It’s unthinkable that he’ll get his third NFL MVP award and a trade to a new team in the same offseason, especially since he’d leave $31.556 million in dead money on the Packers’ books. Then again, the Packers didn’t trade up in the first round last year to take quarterback Jordan Love for nothing. Rodgers called his future in Green Bay “uncertain” on Sunday, though on Tuesday he clarified “I don’t think there’s any reason that I wouldn’t be back.” Packers CEO Mark Murphy said it clearer: “There’s no way in heck Aaron is not going to be on the Packers. We’re not idiots.” That’s probably true.

Jimmy Garoppolo

Every time a quarterback is mentioned, the 49ers are suspected of being interested. They don’t have a lot invested in their injury-prone starter since they only traded a second-round pick for him in 2018 and his contract makes it easy to cut him or trade him now. If the 49ers do land a new quarterback, he could quickly return to New England.

Cam Newton

He didn’t draw much interest around the NFL before signing a one-year deal with the Patriots last offseason. It looks like both sides want to move on, but the market won’t be too robust. Newton is 31 and didn’t have a great season in New England, though he did rush for 592 yards and 12 touchdowns. He once led a team to the Super Bowl and that counts for a lot. But he might end up as a backup or a short-term starter in front of a rookie.

Carson Wentz

It looks like the Eagles’ surprise choice of Nick Sirianni as their new head coach was an indication that Wentz will stay in Philly. But Jalen Hurts’ presence still looms large. Wentz’s performance and contract probably make him untradeable right now. There are certainly better options available for everyone.

Jared Goff

Just two years removed from leading the Rams on a wild offensive ride all the way to the Super Bowl, the 26-year-old is only “the quarterback right now”, as coach Sean McVay said after the season. GM Les Snead added on Tuesday that Goff “is a Ram at this moment.” There’s also a report that the two need “marriage counseling.” None of that bodes well for Goff’s chances of staying in L.A.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/how-influx-of-potentially-available-nfl-quarterbacks-could-impact-sam-darnold-s-trade-value

40 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So is this where the Jamie Newman hype train starts? More the merrier as far as I’m concerned. 

Kind of already started here. Reservations were based on him sitting but his film was pretty impressive 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If the Jets decide to move on from Sam Darnold, either for a rookie or Deshaun Watson, they’re obviously going to have to trade him. And it will help that there should be plenty of teams in the market for a quarterback this offseason.

The problem is, there could be plenty of quarterbacks available, too.

In what could be an unprecedented offseason for quarterback movement, there’s a chance that more than half of the NFL’s 32 teams could have a new franchise quarterback by the time the 2021 season begins. Some of the changes will be due to trade requests, and some will be the result of organizational uncertainty or dysfunction, and some will just be about the opportunity to improve.

But the market could be flooded, which could make things difficult for teams like the Jets if they try to sell a quarterback who could be viewed as damaged goods. How will Darnold look on a market next to Watson or Matt Stafford, or maybe even Dak Prescott or Aaron Rodgers, too. All of them probably won’t be available, but none of their futures are locked in yet.

And all of them would be viewed as better options than Darnold, a 23-year-old who has struggled through his first three seasons in the NFL. Some teams might prefer to trade up in the draft for Ohio State’s Justin Fields or BYU’s Zach Wilson, too. They are at least financially preferable to Darnold, who’ll be entering the final year of his contract with a decision looming about his fifth-year option for 2022 (and about $25 million) this May.

What that all means for the Jets is this: If they decide to move on from Darnold, they might not be able to trade him for as much as they hoped. Yes they could put him in a package for Watson, but a stand-alone deal could be much more difficult to find. The assumption around the NFL was the Jets could get at least what the Cardinals got from Miami for Josh Rosen in 2019 – a second-round pick.

But with so many possible options on the market, it might be tough to see them getting any more than that.

Here’s a look at some of the potentially available options this offseason for quarterback-needy teams:

Sam Darnold

He’s still well-regarded for his talent, and there’s a general feeling that his first three years were ruined by poor coaching and a bad team around him. But three years of struggles and injuries won’t be easily dismissed, especially with a potentially big payday looming.

Deshaun Watson

He’s the big fish in this pool at age 25 with three Pro Bowls already and signed through 2025 with a possible out in his deal after 2023. His cap hits the next five years average about $28 million, but the way quarterback prices rise that’ll look cheap soon enough. If the Texans deal him – still an “if” – he’s likely to cost three first-round picks, plus. The Jets are one of a very few teams with the draft capital to pull that off.

Matthew Stafford

He’s only 33, has a rocket arm and loads of talent, and like Darnold has been dragged down by poor coaching and bad teams. Since he’s due $53 million over the next two years he’s more appealing to a ready-to-win team like the Colts or 49ers, and he might only cost one first-round pick in a package. He could also be a good bridge for teams like Washington and Carolina. And don’t rule out the Cowboys for the Dallas native since they haven’t signed Dak Prescott yet.

Dak Prescott

Crazy, right? But the Cowboys couldn’t sign him last offseason and had to use a $31 million franchise tag on him instead. Now, with decreased revenues and a smaller cap due to the pandemic, signing him could be tougher. And while they could franchise him again, that number will go up to almost $38 million. The Cowboys want him back, but there’s reportedly been no actual negotiations. And now Jerry Jones could have other options.

Aaron Rodgers

Crazier, right? Probably too crazy. It’s unthinkable that he’ll get his third NFL MVP award and a trade to a new team in the same offseason, especially since he’d leave $31.556 million in dead money on the Packers’ books. Then again, the Packers didn’t trade up in the first round last year to take quarterback Jordan Love for nothing. Rodgers called his future in Green Bay “uncertain” on Sunday, though on Tuesday he clarified “I don’t think there’s any reason that I wouldn’t be back.” Packers CEO Mark Murphy said it clearer: “There’s no way in heck Aaron is not going to be on the Packers. We’re not idiots.” That’s probably true.

Jimmy Garoppolo

Every time a quarterback is mentioned, the 49ers are suspected of being interested. They don’t have a lot invested in their injury-prone starter since they only traded a second-round pick for him in 2018 and his contract makes it easy to cut him or trade him now. If the 49ers do land a new quarterback, he could quickly return to New England.

Cam Newton

He didn’t draw much interest around the NFL before signing a one-year deal with the Patriots last offseason. It looks like both sides want to move on, but the market won’t be too robust. Newton is 31 and didn’t have a great season in New England, though he did rush for 592 yards and 12 touchdowns. He once led a team to the Super Bowl and that counts for a lot. But he might end up as a backup or a short-term starter in front of a rookie.

Carson Wentz

It looks like the Eagles’ surprise choice of Nick Sirianni as their new head coach was an indication that Wentz will stay in Philly. But Jalen Hurts’ presence still looms large. Wentz’s performance and contract probably make him untradeable right now. There are certainly better options available for everyone.

Jared Goff

Just two years removed from leading the Rams on a wild offensive ride all the way to the Super Bowl, the 26-year-old is only “the quarterback right now”, as coach Sean McVay said after the season. GM Les Snead added on Tuesday that Goff “is a Ram at this moment.” There’s also a report that the two need “marriage counseling.” None of that bodes well for Goff’s chances of staying in L.A.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/how-influx-of-potentially-available-nfl-quarterbacks-could-impact-sam-darnold-s-trade-value

Also, Carr. This offseason could be nuts. 

Edited by heyholetsgogrant
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I also think there is going to be a bidding war. I think when the dust clears and all the teams are putting out their best offers it will take 2 first round picks (one this year, one next) or a first and a player. If I’m Detroit, I want a pick and a starter. It’s going to be hard for Detroit to sign guys because that team is going to be bad at first with a rookie QB or FA who will absolutely be a downgrade from Stafford. Their new coach seems like an absolute meathead, so I bet he wants a stud defensive player and may even sign a FA QB.

As much as it hurts, I’d really consider offering one of our D lineman (whomever we think we can survive without, Ioannadis, Payne, or Allen) and a 2nd next year as our best offer to sweeten the deal and get it done.This isn’t because I don’t like our guys but we will not be able to sign all of them in a few years and we have got to upgrade at QB.

Aaron Rodgers, Packers

The Packers drafted Jordan Love in 2020 which seemed to signal that they think the end is coming for Rodgers. Considering he will be 38 in 2021 and 39 in 2022 that is probably a reasonable assumption. Rodgers played great this season and should win the MVP award but was clearly frustrated following this week’s loss in the playoffs which started the trade speculation. Rodgers will cost Green Bay $37.202 million on the cap if he is on the team and $31.556 million if traded. Considering the team just invested a ton of money in their left tackle and will likely invest a ton of money in their wide receiver, it would make no sense for Green Bay to not have at least one more year with Rodgers and that group. Rodgers situation reminds me a little of Tom Brady’s at the end of his run in New England when after years of not complaining about his contract he began to feel slighted by the organization and became more of an issue. The Patriots added incentives into the contract to make the sides happy and something like that could work here, especially since the Packers will likely wind up restructuring this contract for cap relief even though they will want to maintain a trade window for 2022 and 2023.

A team acquiring Rodgers would take on cap hits of $22.72 million, $25.5 million, and $25.5 million over the next three years. This is pretty much right in line with the salaries for older quarterbacks- Brees, Brady, and Rivers have all been on $25 million a year deals- so it’s fair value. A team really enamored with Rodgers might offer more money to extend the term but I’m not sure they could justify the five year value for the team jumping far above these numbers. This move makes little sense for Green Bay the way I see it.

Jared Goff, Rams

Goff has fallen far enough the last two years to where he is going to be criticized because of his contract value as much as his play. The Rams GM would not openly commit to him, but the numbers here only play out for the Rams if they can find a trade partner. Goff counts $34.95 million on the salary cap in 2021 and cutting him would cost the Rams an obscene $65.2 million($49.8M as a June 1 designation) while cutting him a check for $43 million so let’s not talk about cuts because they cut Todd Gurley. This is a completely different animal when it comes to salary. Trading Goff, however, would cost $22.2 million if executed before the 2nd day of the league year, and $24.7 million if executed after that date which is reasonable if they have another QB they can acquire.

The question is would anyone want him? Assuming the trade is made at the earliest date the cost for Goff would be $28.15 million in 2021, $26.15 million in 2022, $25.65 million in 2023, and $26.65 million in 2024. The team would certainly be on the hook for his entire 2021 salary and $15.5 million of his 2022 salary with the balance of his 2022 salary becoming guaranteed in early 2022. Essentially this is a 4 year, $26.65 million per year contract with $54.3 million guaranteed. That’s not terrible but may be looked at as too pricey especially since he would likely be going from the Rams to a team just like the Rams- a decent team without access to a better QB.   So I’m not sure who would see the upside unless the Rams picked up some of the cost or included a draft pick. Unless the Rams can get someone like Watson or Rodgers in a trade that seems counter-productive. You cant rule it out but I would lean more toward him remaining.

https://overthecap.com/exploring-the-costs-of-trading-star-qbs-in-2021/

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Kind of already started here. Reservations were based on him sitting but his film was pretty impressive 

Agree, except the Clemson game.  I've been on Newman for months but there wasn't much to say about him during the season since he wasn't playing.  The lack of a season this year made him a mystery.  Hence I picked him as the dude I am the most intrigued to see at the Senior Bowl among the 2nd round or later types.

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If RR can sit back and either move back into the first or even just draft Newman at 19 and he works out for us, after this insane QB frenzy he will look like an absolute genius. 

1 hour ago, CurseReversed said:

if simms catches that first perfect deep pass he threw, he might have been close to those numbers. We also could have got a W and be god knows where in the playoffs right now.

No other qb has played that well in a big game for this team in arguably 20 years.  He simply lit it up, even Brady couldnt believe it.   So why is it crazy to expect him not to be able to do it again?  What else can he do to prove himself other then perform?  He does not have a significant history of not being able to perform in this league, at least not yet, only a history of not being healthy. But that is something that could change, you never know.

I expect the WFT to be aggressive going after another QB this year and be very hesitant to rely on an oft-injured guy like Heinicke but I also expect them to be confident that given the chance, he could play that well again.

Because most guys don't. Especially guys who were undrafted and then went on to do nothing on 4 teams (5 if you count the XFL team) before landing somewhere and having a good game.

Look, I'm not saying get rid of him. And I'm not saying he has no chance to be a good NFL QB. I'm also not saying he shouldn't have a chance to win the starting job. But let's be realistic here...most guys like that don't amount to anything in the NFL. And there have been plenty of guys who out of nowhere had a really good game and then went on to do very little after that. 

I'm just saying that history and logic says that it's super unlikely that we stumbled upon a diamond in the rough who's amazing QB skills somehow went completely unnoticed by multiple other NFL teams who picked him up and then let him go. It's fool's gold that we (and other teams' fans) have fallen for in the past. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If RR can sit back and either move back into the first or even just draft Newman at 19 and he works out for us, after this insane QB frenzy he will look like an absolute genius. 

Okay, who's running your account today?  Its making a lot more sense than usual.  I guess the pants guy got let go.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the non first round types, he's been my other guy right after Ridder for months.  Though unlike Ridder, Newman wasn't playing last season so it was tough to do week after week hype for him like I did for Ridder.  😀   But if he burns up the Senior Bowl, I am very intrigued.   And said so about him before the Senior Bowl. 

If he burns it up in the Senior Bowl, I wonder if he ends up one of those shocker how did he go in the top half of the first round types.  His tools to me are very appealing. 

Jamie Newman QB Georgia - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network  

Wake Forest quarterback Jamie Newman is a toolsy prospect with good size, arm strength, mobility, and poise. The Demon Deacons took full advantage of his dual-threat skill set, implementing spread concepts that afforded him simplified reads where if his first option wasn’t available, he would have the spacing available to use his legs. Wake Forest also featured plenty of quarterback power and designed runs that allowed him to keep the offense moving with his legs. Newman is a terrific athlete and a physical runner. As a passer, Newman has plenty of room for growth when it comes to accuracy, decision making, field vision, progressions, hitting throws with anticipation, and navigating the pocket. Newman should be viewed as a developmental quarterback but one that brings an exciting package of physical traits to the table. There shouldn’t be expectations that he will take the reins of an NFL offense early in his career, but packages could be created for him to take advantage of his skill set. If everything comes together, Newman has the makeup of an NFL starter, but he has a ways to go. 

Ideal RoleDevelopmental quarterback.

Scheme FitSpread.

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Jamie Newman QB Georgia - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network  

Wake Forest quarterback Jamie Newman is a toolsy prospect with good size, arm strength, mobility, and poise. The Demon Deacons took full advantage of his dual-threat skill set, implementing spread concepts that afforded him simplified reads where if his first option wasn’t available, he would have the spacing available to use his legs. Wake Forest also featured plenty of quarterback power and designed runs that allowed him to keep the offense moving with his legs. Newman is a terrific athlete and a physical runner. As a passer, Newman has plenty of room for growth when it comes to accuracy, decision making, field vision, progressions, hitting throws with anticipation, and navigating the pocket. Newman should be viewed as a developmental quarterback but one that brings an exciting package of physical traits to the table. There shouldn’t be expectations that he will take the reins of an NFL offense early in his career, but packages could be created for him to take advantage of his skill set. If everything comes together, Newman has the makeup of an NFL starter, but he has a ways to go. 

Ideal RoleDevelopmental quarterback.

Sounds about right.   If he were polished and ready to hit the ground running he'd be in conversation for the top 10.  The fact he's developmental is why he's taked about a 2nd rounder or later -- at least pre Senior Bowl.

Senior Bowl though does matter.  Our last two three rounders, McLaurin and Gibson shined at the senior bowl and it elevated the buzz about both. 

• Like 1