Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

13 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Gibson is probably praying right now.  Rookie had 11 touchdowns during a season with no aerial attack and where he was limping the last month.  Imagine his stats with Stafford on board.

Almost as good as all the other top notch RBs Detroit has had over the years. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don’t mind Stafford but he’s a slightly better Kirk Cousins that’s used all the same excuses as to why he never thrived. Bad OL, no run game, bad defense etc.

19 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The only thing concerning my about Stafford is that it reeks of Dan's past which makes me think he'd be involved. I'm not opposed to it because it would solve the QB position if it works but we've seen historically it not working with George, Brunell, Smith and McNabb,all for different reasons

George - bad teammate 

Brunell - old and arm went out

McNabb - old and didn't want to learn the playbook

Smith - injured and didn't fit the offense. 

But even with the hesitations I have, just to be able to hopefully not be wondering who the qb is for a while would be nice. I just hope the cost isn't too high. 

One thing to note. With SF having 2 extra third rounders for the coach and gm hired, they have ammo that's like free money. 

I believe the way it worked out with SF was they have an extra 3rd from 2021-2023 - they don't get two comp picks in one season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I don’t mind Stafford but he’s a slightly better Kirk Cousins that’s used all the same excuses as to why he never thrived. Bad OL, no run game, bad defense etc.

Slightly better?  Hes Cousins with an elite arm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As I mentioned earlier, I keep reading the Panthers plan to be big time aggressive this off season as to getting a QB. 

If he wants to, Stafford can tell them he is not signing an extension with them if they trade for him. Anyway, Carolina picks 8th. They should just move up to 4 and take Wilson

• Like 1

I think Stafford ends up in Indy. They need him even more than we do and that will be reflected in the price they are willing to pay.

A.) The Colts have like the second most available FA money this year. That don't mean much without a QB tho as they will get shunned. Especially by WRs. The only way to pick up a QB before FA is via trade. If they want to make an impact via FA, they have to make a move.

B.) There will not be a lot of impact QBs made available via trade. You have Stafford, maybe Watson, maybe Wentz if he demands it and Nobody wants Jimmy Gs deal. Indy has no chance getting a in-div QB like Watson, so their choices are limited.

I believe DET has Chase Daniels on their roster, but he is getting pretty old. They dont really have much in the way of a fall back plan so they need to mash the accelerator on this.

I wonder how this effects Hou/Phi brass? Unless they believe they can retain their players, you are about to lose a QB suitor.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

IMO only elite QBs have the ability to win games with mediocre rosters.  Stafford isn't Aaron Rodgers and that's OK.  If you told me we can get Mahomes, Watson, Josh Allen, Rodgers, Brady, I am all over it.   

I see Stafford and Kirk as apples and oranges.   I thought while he was here and still do that Kirk is a good QB.  He can be also very good and also bad.   He's streaky as heck.  If I have a beef with Kirk its not that he isn't Aaron Rodgers, i already knew that when he was here.  My beef with Kirk is that he isn't clutch and too streaky.  

Stafford is Mr. Clutch.  He has a rocket of an arm and can make throws off platform.  All of which make him different than Kirk.  And this is coming from a dude who has taken arrows from some of the Kirk haters aplenty back in the day.  Stafford is much more talented IMO than Kirk.  And also much more talented than Alex Smith.  And more talented than take your pick of QBs we've had here from the 1970s through today.  

• Like 2

Can this trade be made at any time, or do we need to wait for a certain landmark on the league calendar?

Also, we need to get this done. Anybody rooting against this hasn't been paying attention to the direction of the league in the past 5-10 year. 

And, if I'm Detroit, I want draft picks, not players. They are going to be building from scratch, not trying to win now. What good would Jonathan Allen do them? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

Can this trade be made at any time, or do we need to wait for a certain landmark on the league calendar?

Also, we need to get this done. Anybody rooting against this hasn't been paying attention to the direction of the league in the past 5-10 year. 

And, if I'm Detroit, I want draft picks, not players. They are going to be building from scratch, not trying to win now. What good would Jonathan Allen do them? 

We made the Alex trade last time around this period.  It can't be official though until the league year starts. 

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading Schefter's article and also noticing the number of teams who allegdily might be interested, I'd expect this will take a first and another pick. 

He's had some injuries (back, rotator cuff etc.) that keeps me from wanting to spend that much on him.  Between him and Jimmy G. one of the big 4/5 might fall.  I'd rather our brass spend our #19 on a QB, Jones included and take a LOT in the 2nd round to protect whoever that is.

21 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Nope, no run game or defense in Minnesota.

*falls off couch*

*dies*

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

74-90-1

Stafford’s career record.  Before you say it’s Detroit remember that we are Washington!

69-106-1 record the last decade.  

Trubisky is 29-21.  

Choose your path in life carefully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Uhhhhh.... did you mean Sweat?

if curl and a pick can get me a QB dude is a ghost

Curl is untouchable IMO.  I want Sweat too with Chase, but who know what the front office might do.  Plus a lot of people on this board would include Sweat in deals.  

Edited by SAli457180

Just now, RWJ said:

He's had some injuries (back, rotator cuff etc.) that keeps me from wanting to spend that much on him.  Between him and Jimmy G. one of the big 4/5 might fall.  I'd rather our brass spend our #19 on a QB, Jones included and take a LOT in the 2nd round to protect whoever that is.

We've had our rodeos of QBs who weren't per se the top QBs in the draft but on that next level supposedly:  Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, Haskins.  Tough for me to get jazzed for another round of it.

If you told me I had even odds to go to Vegas and bet whether some dude we took at 19 or in the later rounds this year will be a franchise QB, I'd wager lots of money betting against our success.  I'd put as much money as I could afford to wager and like my odds of becoming a rich man. 

To me this roster is too good to play Lotto with it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We made the Alex trade last time around this period.  It can't be official though until the league year starts. 

Kansas City Chiefs trading QB Alex Smith to Redskins (nfl.com)

The Redskins and Kansas City Chiefs reached an agreement in principle Tuesday to trade Smith to Washington for cornerback Kendall Fuller and a 2018 third-round draft pick, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. The trade, according to Rapoport, cannot be finalized until the new league year begins on March 14.

We got Alex A LOT cheaper than Stafford.  I will say that Stafford's TD/INT ratio was better but a 1st I wouldn't pay for a QB in Stafford that is much more beating up than Smith was when he got here, IMO.  

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Trubisky is 29-21.  

Yep.

Years back the Chiefs traded for a winner, when they got Matt Cassel coming off an 11-5 season.  heck we traded for a winner too in McNabb 

If there are all these issues as some purport with Stafford it should be a breeze to land him.  We shouldn't be too worried about all these rumored teams chasing him.  😀

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Curl is untouchable IMO.  I want Sweat too with Chase, but who know what the front office might do.  Plus a lot of people on this board would include Sweat in deals.  

I'd send Payne first or Allen with a pick other than the 1st, like a 2nd for Stafford.  I don't give up our #1.  That's me though.