Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

If Bienemy doesn't get any other offers, I'd have to think he takes the Texans job. If Bienemy takes the Texans job, Watson probably stays. That's my read anyway.

On the Lions, smoke was that Stafford didn't want to be part of another rebuild and preferred to move to a contender, though he didn't want to outright demand a trade. IDK how close the Lions roster is but if they're not all that close, I don't see why they wouldn't take offers.

In any case, I think Stafford2DC is more likely than Watson, who 1) I don't think will be available, and 2) would command a bigger haul from teams w/ more tradable assets than us.

As a Heinicke Hiver, I am not displeased. :D 

@UK SKINS FAN 74

with you being amused about the reaction (including me) to some if we end up chase Darnold -- you might be willing it into existence. :ols:

I think the draft equivalent to this would be Mac Jones.  I am not among the haters of him.  but I notice he's very polarizing to some.

So that might guarantee it will be Mac or Darnold. 

• Haha 1

4. Rivera on building on the Washington Football Team during the offseason:

"We have a pretty good foundation and that's what's exciting about it. To me, it's having the rest of the other pieces as well. I think you start by your fronts, your offensive and defensive lines, I think those are important and then you continue the building around them, and that's big. To get back to it though, the quarterback is the most important thing we have to get done and established. And again, as I said, that'll all be part of our process as we start going forward."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Haskins is signing with the Steelers per Schefter lol

I like this move for him. Hopefully he is given patience and some room to grow up with Tomlin. I do wonder what it will be like playing with Rudolph though, althrough maybe one of the two will not be there long. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@UK SKINS FAN 74

with you being amused about the reaction (including me) to some if we end up chase Darnold -- you might be willing it into existence. :ols:

I think the draft equivalent to this would be Mac Jones.  I am not among the haters of him.  but I notice he's very polarizing to some.

So that might guarantee it will be Mac or Darnold. 

Honestly could be an all time ES highlight for me if Darnold comes in. Will you still post all the tweets once the news breaks, or will you go underground for a little while?:ols:

On another note, will see if Haskins pulls it off in Pittsburgh.  I'd bet against him but I do think he can be a Case Keenum caliber QB, up and down type but nothing special.  The one good thing here is it takes Pittsburgh I'd guess out of the Qb sweepstakes.  I'd figure they'd give Haskins a chance at least. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

I like this move for him. Hopefully he is given patience and some room to grow up with Tomlin. I do wonder what it will be like playing with Rudolph though, althrough maybe one of the two will not be there long. 

Agree. The Steelers were pretty much touted as the ideal landing spot for him when he was released. Makes sense. 

General question, Do we get any cap relief over his guaranteed money we have as dead cap, or is that only If he was picked up from waivers?

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Honestly could be an all time ES highlight for me if Darnold comes in. Will you still post all the tweets once the news breaks, or will you go underground for a little while?:ols:

I'll post them.  I don't hate Darnold.  I didn't like for example Daniel Jones or Haskins before the 2018 draft.   Jones has exceeded my expectations albeit I wouldn't say he's killed it.  Haskins has been so far a bust which is somewhat what i expected.  But once we drafted Haskins I tried to mostly look at the bright side of his attributes at least in the beginning.

If we get Darnold, the bright side is he's still young, for a dude at his size he's surprisingly mobile and can throw well on the move.  He has a good arm albeit not a great one.   He has high intangibles.  So I'd cross my fingers and hope those attributes come to fore.

Reason why I am against him is he strikes me of a poor man's Daniel Jones. He has a slightly better arm with less mobility and less accuracy than Jones.   He has Jones' bad habit of fumbling a ton and also throwing picks.    It's just hard for me to put together excitment for a dude who isn't that accurate or productive yet is also very turnover prone.   That's a bad combination IMO.    I'd think Kyle Allen beats him out for the job. 

14 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

4. Rivera on building on the Washington Football Team during the offseason:

"We have a pretty good foundation and that's what's exciting about it. To me, it's having the rest of the other pieces as well. I think you start by your fronts, your offensive and defensive lines, I think those are important and then you continue the building around them, and that's big. To get back to it though, the quarterback is the most important thing we have to get done and established. And again, as I said, that'll all be part of our process as we start going forward."

Just like what the beat guys have said and for that matter Ron has suggested in other interviews, QB heavily on their plate.  If they thought their solution was in place right now, they are doing a masterful job at subterfuge. 

• Like 2

EST QBS AVAILABLE VIA FREE AGENCY (FREE-AGENT BOARD RANK)

1.     Dak Prescott (1)
  2.     Ryan Fitzpatrick (18)
  3.     Jameis Winston (29)
  4.     Cam Newton (34)
  5.     Andy Dalton (35)

The potential prize of the free-agent market is Prescott, but there’s still a high-percentage chance that he will re-sign with the Dallas Cowboys before free agency starts. If he’s available, it’s a potential top-10 quarterback who will be coveted by every QB-needy team not picking in the top four of the draft.

Prescott posted the highest grade of his career in 2020, albeit on a limited sample, and he did so in a Dallas attack that relied heavily on the passing game. He recorded the 11th-highest percentage of positively graded throws prior to his injury and has taken his game to a new level over the past two years.

Fitzpatrick is another potential starter in more of a “bridge” quarterback role, though he’s also played the best football of his career over the last three years, earning PFF grades of 83.9 (2018), 76.6 (2019) and 75.1 (2020) since 2018.

Newton may not earn another starting job after a rough season in New England. The same is true for Winston, who has starter potential but couldn’t convince a team to hand him the keys in 2020. Both quarterbacks could be vying for “best backup in the league” status in 2021, and they’re more than capable of leading efficient offenses with a good supporting cast.

BEST QBS AVAILABLE VIA THE 2021 NFL DRAFT (2021 NFL DRAFT BOARD RANK)

1.     Trevor Lawrence (1)
  2.     Zach Wilson (2)
  3.     Justin Fields (3)
  4.     Trey Lance (10)
  5.     Mac Jones (30)
  6.     Kyle Trask (44)
  7.     Jamie Newman (86)

The draft is loaded at the top, with the possibility that three quarterbacks come off the board with the top three picks.

Lawrence is the prize of the class, as he will enter the league with the best combination of velocity, accuracy, decision-making and athleticism that we have seen in quite a while.

BYU’s Wilson emerged with a dominant 2020 season to go with excellent velocity and natural playmaking ability. Meanwhile, Ohio State’s Fields also possesses the necessary tools to succeed, and it’s just a matter of him getting to play a bit faster than he did with the Buckeyes.

Other potential first-rounders include North Dakota State’s Lance, who has a big arm and good speed, but he’s played just over 1,000 snaps in college at the FCS level. He’s a toolsy project who needs time to develop.

The other intriguing names include Alabama’s Mac Jones, who broke out with an incredible 2020 campaign. Jones just earned the highest PFF grade we've ever given to a college quarterback and is the opposite of many of the aforementioned prospects, as he relies on accuracy and decision-making rather than physical tools.

Florida’s Trask is similar, as both he and Jones lack the out-of-pocket magic of their peers. Trask’s big selling point is his late development as a passer after playing so little football over the last few years.

Newman is another mid-round prospect to watch, as he showed flashes of brilliance at Wake Forest, albeit in an offensive system that has little that translates to the NFL. He has a good deep ball and promising rushing ability.

The rest of the class features potential backups and “upside” plays, such as Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond.

42 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Haskins is signing with the Steelers per Schefter lol

"Purely from the "what he needs" perspective...Mike Tomlin.  If he's ever going to have a chance, he needs to be coached by Mike Tomlin.  He's the only coach I can think of that could get through to him, but I doubt Pittsburgh would be interested"

This aged well lol.

If anyone can fix him, its Tomlin.

Edited by 86 Snyder

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

This is obviously a tough situation the Texans put themselves in, having a disgruntled face of the franchise. I just pray that the Eagles don't get in on this because they have 2 QB's and high draft picks they could offer that might tempt the Texans more than anything we could offer. Wentz and two #'1s for Watson probably gets Houston thinking. Heck, Hurts may get them thinking if they like him. I don't want to see Watson in our division unless his helmet has a number on both sides of it.

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we get Darnold, the bright side is he's still young, for a dude at his size he's surprisingly mobile and can throw well on the move.  He has a good arm albeit not a great one.   He has high intangibles.

Apparently, via commentary from Jets fans, Darnold's biggest issue is accuracy. After just dumping a QB with scattershot accuracy, I'm really not looking forward to potentially having another one, even if Darnold has other intangibles and athleticism that Haskins didn't. At this stage, you can't really teach accuracy. You either have it, or you don't.

26 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

My first two immediate thoughts:

1) Don't they know Haskins is the worst QB in the NFL? (jokingly)

2) Yeah, he's not gonna last. (seriously)

I'm sure they know that he, as of now, would struggle to make an XFL roster. My guess is they try to develop him for a year, and stash him on the practice squad or something, to see if they can resurrect his career. However, he ain't no football Jesus, so I would expect them to release him the day they find out he's trying to sneak booty into the hotel again.

Edited by ExoDus84

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Apparently, via commentary from Jets fans, Darnold's biggest issue is accuracy. After just dumping a QB with scattershot accuracy, I'm really not looking forward to potentially having another one, even if Darnold has other intangibles and athleticism that Haskins didn't. At this stage, you can't really teach accuracy. You either have it, or you don't.

Yep.  I've been trashing him for weeks.  In the post that you quote of mine I trashed him again including his accuracy.  You cherry picked the part where I said this would be the most optimistic take if I tried to talk myself into him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, JoggingGod said:

Getting Dak in free agency would be a monumental win for us

We agree on something. Let's celebrate by signing Dak... and have him be healthy. 

He's one of the only big names I really would be okay with. His cap hit will probably be a bit... much...

But not giving up assets to get him is high end good news to me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He's one of the only big names I really would be okay with. His cap hit will probably be a bit... much...

But not giving up assets to get him is high end good news to me. 

I mean sorry to say this but good QBs don't come cheap. If we want to ever contend we need to take a risk either in cap or picks to get a franchise guy. You won't get far otherwise.

Just now, JoggingGod said:

I mean sorry to say this but good QBs don't come cheap. If we want to ever contend we need to take a risk either in cap or picks to get a franchise guy. You won't get far otherwise.

Even when I agree with you... you want to be argumentative. I will continue to disagree in all future exchanges.

:ols:

• Haha 3