Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I want to go on record: we get Watson and I will be one of the most excited people on this forum. He is a true stud.

But while excited I will be simultaneously  scared to ****ing death of what the consequences will be long term if something happens and the assets given up.

But for the player? Amped. 

I still don’t think he leaves Houston and I think Bieniemy saves that situation.

Scared money don't make money. Go big or go home. I was all for the RG3 trade. Sure it didn't quite work out, but imagine if we had that 2012 type season every year for a decade.

At worst we go back to sucking again. Why not shoot for the moon?

We get Watson and this team can win the Super Bowl. In 2021.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Watson would be "steep", like we'd have to close the Comprehensive Draft Thread for a couple years steep.  LOL

Three 1s, Three 2s and a player.

I retract my previous statement. If we trade for him for that haul I may wear a paper bag in public.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Scared money don't make money. Go big or go home. I was all for the RG3 trade. Sure it didn't quite work out, but imagine if we had that 2012 type season every year for a decade.

At worst we go back to sucking again. Why not shoot for the moon?

We get Watson and this team can win the Super Bowl. In 2021.

You guys keep saying this but it’s bull****.

I’d argue that the scared folks are the ones willing to give us so damn much for one player and thus wind up neglecting major roster issues. Fear of the unknown, fear of failure... it fuels the desire to make such a drastic move. 

And I don’t think Watson makes this team a Super Bowl contender in 2021.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, teams will not (at least should not) give up three 1s, three 2s and a player for Watson.  I doubt Texans are that delusional.

At minimum, that price is too high to justify the difference between Watson over Stafford imo (assuming that Stafford gets nowhere near that kind of haul).

But it is true that this window is shifting rapidly.  Stud Dline is the core of our defensive strength and they are about to get expensive in a hurry.  Unless we hit on a SB contender capable QB in the next few years, we're back to the drawing board a bit in 3-4 years.

And I think Watson plus another weapon  to take the load off Terry definitely makes us a contender next year.

• Like 2

What exactly is everyones infatuation with Matt Stafford...are these the same people that think Alex Smith was good??? Matt Stafford is an average  qb....at 32 his win to loss ratio is extremely poor yeah he can throw a football but can he win games...clearly he cannot, i dont see him adding more value to this team the way potential players can in terms of draft picks we would have to give up to get him

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

What exactly is everyones infatuation with Matt Stafford...are these the same people that think Alex Smith was good??? Matt Stafford is an average  qb....at 32 his win to loss ratio is extremely poor yeah he can throw a football but can he win games...clearly he cannot, i dont see him adding more value to this team the way potential players can in terms of draft picks we would have to give up to get him

Stafford is significantly better than Smith. Significantly. If you're using W/L record to judge QBs then...I don't know what to tell you, its just an awful metric to use.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Stafford is significantly better than Smith. Significantly. If you're using W/L record to judge QBs then...I don't know what to tell you, its just an awful metric to use.

Ok but it gets thrown around a lot especially on this board (smith is 11-5....”we couldnt win witg cousins...blah blah) ...im not saying smith is better than stafford or vice versa im saying i dont see stafford adding the value to this team that the picks it would cost to get him...trading for qbs doesnt work.

58 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Gotta admit, that is a pretty picture! Just think it will be way to costly to ever become realistic

For Watson, I would think it would take three 1st round picks, Montez Sweat or Daron Payne and likely one of our 3rd round picks this year. Seems like a lot but Houston should be asking for a lot. Best part of this is that we have the defensive line depth to move a defensive tackle for sure so losing Payne wouldn't hurt like losing Sweat would. We could even offer Payne and Settle along with the picks and still be fine. Heck, we could offer Payne and Ion with two 1st round picks and a 3rd and we'd still be fine....Not sure if Houston would do it but we could afford that no problem. Just plug in through free agency and the draft. I would bet Houston would want Sweat over Payne though but who knows....fun to speculate for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Not a huge fan of Stafford, but if Alex retires freeing up that cash, o think you have to make a huge push. 

Fairly accurate, strong arm, quick release, has some moxie. 

Stafford + Robinson are going to leave the NFC North and head East. 

Draft a LT, MLB and FS. 

Win. 

• Like 1

Everybody saying it wouldn't cost that much should go Google what the draft capital would be to trade for Watson.  Keep in mind there are 10 teams that could be involved so that's going to drive up the price.  Another thing to consider is even though his 2021 cap hit is only $10.8 mil, the extension kicks in 2022 and is $35 mil.  That's counts like 15% against a teams cap.  I believe the highest today is 13.5%.

As great as it would be to have him, he's gonna cripple any team he gets traded to.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Everybody saying it wouldn't cost that much should go Google what the draft capital would be to trade for Watson.  Keep in mind there are 10 teams that could be involved so that's going to drive up the price.  Another thing to consider is even though his 2021 cap hit is only $10.8 mil, the extension kicks in 2022 and is $35 mil.  That's counts like 15% against a teams cap.  I believe the highest today is 13.5%.

As great as it would be to have him, he's gonna cripple any team he gets traded to.

There are about 10 QBs who make 30+ mil per year.  You deduct the signing bonus, Watson's cap number will be low 30s mil.  Unless you hit on another rookies QB situation like Wilson/Mahomes or end of career discount like Brady, Manning, Brees, you should allocate that much for a top end QB on a contender.

We're getting tremendous discount from dline, TMac, and hopefully Gibson in the next few years.  That savings has to be allocated somewhere for it to be a competitive advantage.  The fact that Watson's cap hit is 30+ mil is the least of our concern.   

But I do agree that unless Watson simply picks DC as his only destination and Texans doesn't respond spitefully, it's hard to envision us being able to outbid other teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Three 1s, Three 2s and a player.

I retract my previous statement. If we trade for him for that haul I may wear a paper bag in public.

You guys keep saying this but it’s bull****.

I’d argue that the scared folks are the ones willing to give us so damn much for one player and thus wind up neglecting major roster issues. Fear of the unknown, fear of failure... it fuels the desire to make such a drastic move. 

And I don’t think Watson makes this team a Super Bowl contender in 2021.

He sure does make us a SB contender depending on how free agency and the draft goes. For example, if we add Watson and Allen Robinson we have one of the best offenses on paper in the NFC....focus everything else on the defense. Given good health we are now legit SB contenders. We'd also be in year two of the coaches systems which you would think we'd be improved. Watson's legs will make our offensive line better too...

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

He sure does make us a SB contender depending on how free agency and the draft goes. For example, if we add Watson and Allen Robinson we have one of the best offenses on paper in the NFC....focus everything else on the defense. Given good health we are now legit SB contenders. We'd also be in year two of the coaches systems which you would think we'd be improved. Watson's legs will make our offensive line better too...

Yes. He certainly made Houston one.

With DHop.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Yes. He certainly made Houston one.

With DHop.

Well, he did win 3 straight division titles and didn't really have much besides DHop....You know that so much needs to go right to get to the Super Bowl. If Jimmy Garapolo can get be the QB on a contending team like the 49ers then Watson can make our roster a contender. With our defense we just need to upgrade the offense and we are right there. Like I said, we would need to add a WR and some defensive pieces and we may be a SB contender with or without Watson. 

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Well, he did win 3 straight division titles and didn't really have much besides DHop....You know that so much needs to go right to get to the Super Bowl. If Jimmy Garapolo can get be the QB on a contending team like the 49ers then Watson can make our roster a contender. With our defense we just need to upgrade the offense and we are right there. Like I said, we would need to add a WR and some defensive pieces and we may be a SB contender with or without Watson. 

Get used to not having much if we give up a haul for him. His cap his alone is massive.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bearrock said:

There are about 10 QBs who make 30+ mil per year.  You deduct the signing bonus, Watson's cap number will be low 30s mil.  Unless you hit on another rookies QB situation like Wilson/Mahomes or end of career discount like Brady, Manning, Brees, you should allocate that much for a top end QB on a contender.

We're getting tremendous discount from dline, TMac, and hopefully Gibson in the next few years.  That savings has to be allocated somewhere for it to be a competitive advantage.  The fact that Watson's cap hit is 30+ mil is the least of our concern.   

But I do agree that unless Watson simply picks DC as his only destination and Texans doesn't respond spitefully, it's hard to envision us being able to outbid other teams.

image.png.d0e7462f52d6ef067ac05b8d6a2a6c8a.png

I think Watson would bust here. 

There'll be added pressure with the narrative that the defense is good and we just need a QB to become a Superbowl contender. He also doesn't really fit a Scott Turner offense though obviously we'd change it up with a talented QB behind center. 

If Watson puts up numbers, the gam flow will change and opposing teams will in turn put up more points against us. Kind of like watching the Cowboys defense look like the worst in the league when Dak was throwing for 400 yards a game. 

This could be a short-lived adjustment though if we are patient with it.   

I still don't see how we land Watson though without giving them a QB or top 3 pick in return. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Get used to not having much if we give up a haul for him. His cap his alone is massive.

i hear ya, but I could get used to having a franchise QB for the next 10 years too. Cap hits for franchise QB's are never gonna be good but it's a necessary evil if you want one. 

• Like 1

If Watson is available you at least make a call to the Texans. Rivera said QB is the number one thing they have to address this off season. Right now apparently their is a top 5 25 year old Qb in his prime that might be on the trade market. You have to go for it without a doubt especially with this team and the situation they are in. This guy fits perfect in Turners offense and will have a great defense to back him up. Get another WR or two and the stage is set. Imo the cost for Washington to offer is 3-4 first round picks plus a second rounder and a third somewhere if they don't offer a player like Sweat etc. Me personally Young, Sweat, McLaurin is off limits. I'm 32 years old and been a die hard fan since I was five and still haven't seen a Franchise Qb on this team to this day. I can guarantee yall that Rivera and company is going to make an attempt to try to get him but who know what they will offer. If you have to trade 3-4 first round picks for him so be it. We don't know if our future first round picks will pan out, but you will have a Franchise Qb thats Proven for the next 10-12 years

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

i hear ya, but I could get used to having a franchise QB for the next 10 years too. Cap hits for franchise QB's are never gonna be good but it's a necessary evil if you want one. 

Too many variables for me to risk the kind of compensation necessary to pull it through. 

• Like 2

Media whether it be US/World/Sports can take a story and blow it up like the National Enquirer.  Watson will never play a down for the WFT.  RR nor whoever is part of the organizational FO will ever give up as much as it would take to trade for him and I don't think Watson goes anywhere if they hire Bienemy.  Just my guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean of course they'll ASK for that but they don't have leverage. Everyone knows Watson wants out. We could probably negotiate it down to 2 1sts and like Daron Payne.

They are just trying to recoup all the losses at once from their previous idiot coach.