Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

**** prima donna Rodgers.  Ooh, the team didn't draft a WR but drafted a potential successor to you.  Oooh, they cut a 3rd receiver after you gave him a glowing endorsement.

Your one legit gripe; your head coach took away a potential victory and superbowl birth from your hands.  The team went 13-3 last 2 years and made it to championship game.

I think there are plenty QBs that would take the last 2 years in Green Bay.

Green Bay should play hardball.  If he wants to retire; then retire. GB can trade for Dalton, Garrapolo, Foles. Newton if needed.  I wouldn't trade him and tell him; he plays out his contract or he can retire to jeopardy.

If Fitz does better than I expect; we can give him a new contract and then find that long term QB.   Not waste picks on a disgruntle QB that probably has a couple of good years left.  You don't trade the picks it would take to get Rodgers; for someone on the tailend of his career.   The only QB you would do that for; is Watson and frankly he's not worth the price either.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

**** prima donna Rodgers.  Ooh, the team didn't draft a WR but drafted a potential successor to you.  Oooh, they cut a 3rd receiver after you gave him a glowing endorsement.

Your one legit gripe; your head coach took away a potential victory and superbowl birth from your hands.  The team went 13-3 last 2 years and made it to championship game.

Green Bay should play hardball.  If he wants to retire; then retire. GB can trade for Dalton, Garrapolo, Foles. Newton if needed.  I wouldn't trade him and tell him; he plays out his contract or he can retire to jeopardy.

If Fitz does better than I expect; we can give him a new contract and then find that long term QB.   Not waste picks on a disgruntle QB that probably has a couple of good years left.  You don't trade the picks it would take to get Rodgers; for someone on the tailend of his career.   The only QB you would do that for; is Watson and frankly he's not worth the price either.

Yes.  It's super easy to replace a HOF QB.  GB should probably call up Belichick and ask how easy it was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ryan Fitzpatrick has played many seasons.  In that time he has played for mostly teams with dreadful defenses.    59-86-1 career record as a starter.  HOWEVER, in the three seasons in which he played for teams with top 10 defenses (2014 HOU, 2015 NYJ, 2020 MIA) he has a 20-15 record.  I say that to say this.  He has never QB’d for a top, say 2, defense before.  This could end up pretty well AMIRIGHT?? Sopranos GIF by memecandy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Heinicke but judging by Rivera's actions and what beat guys have said they've heard -- its clear they don't see him as the future at this given time. 

Well, until they draft/trade for a QB then TH and Allen are the guys after Fitz.  :) 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Green Bay playing hardball is the dumbest thing they could do though. Just trade his ass lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Heinicke but judging by Rivera's actions and what beat guys have said they've heard -- its clear they don't see him as the future at this given time. 

Things change quickly. If Fitz goes down and Hienicke goes in and has several performances similar to Tampa he is all of a sudden “The Guy”. 

Articles like that are always interesting to me. We don’t know until we know. So far, Heinicke played the best playoff game out of a Washington QB in a decade and maybe longer. That doesn’t make him the guy. But it also doesn’t mean he can’t be if he sees the field more in 2021.

Chances are, though, he’s not going to be the guy because why else would they consider trading for Stafford, Watson and moving up? 

I don’t think he’s the guy either, for the record. But I think the tweeters declaring things like that are getting ahead of themselves.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Things change quickly. If Fitz goes down and Hienicke goes in and has several performances similar to Tampa he is all of a sudden “The Guy”. 

Articles like that are always interesting to me. We don’t know until we know. So far, Heinicke played the best playoff game out of a Washington QB in a decade and maybe longer. That doesn’t make him the guy. But it also doesn’t mean he can’t be if he sees the field more in 2021.

Chances are, though, he’s not going to be the guy because why else would they consider trading for Stafford, Watson and moving up? 

I don’t think he’s the guy either, for the record. But I think the tweeters declaring things like that are getting ahead of themselves.

I agree, KDawg.  I think we are in a holding pattern until next year.  Depending on what our record is and what it takes to move up to draft a QB or sign one during FA and we know that young franchise QBs rarely if ever hit FA.  Hopefully, we can protect Fitz and he stays healthy long enough to play a season for us to groom our future franchise QB for a year.  Until then, it's Fitz, TH and Allen, I would guess at this point.  

59 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Green Bay playing hardball is the dumbest thing they could do though. Just trade his ass lol. 

Yeah not sure what they think it's going to accomplish if he's as dead set against playing for them again as it sounds from the reporting. I guess if he sits out they don't actually have to pay him, but I'm assuming his salary would still count against the cap. If you let him sit a year and then trade him his value will have gone down. Maybe they think he's bluffing and he'll come back.

Check out what Ron says about QB at the 23:18. Makes so much sense IMO. It is exactly why I'm of the opinion not to trade up for a rookie unless he's "generational".  In order to win in this league, you need your entire team built along with a QB that's not going to **** it up for you. Fitz has a history but that seems to be what it is....history.

His job will not be to keep his job. He'll probably do less chance taking. Fitz doesn't have accuracy issues and he's seen every defense known to man. So unlike a rookie, he'll be prepared and able to get the line into the right blocking scheme etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

???? The guy was the league MVP last year. 

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah not sure what they think it's going to accomplish if he's as dead set against playing for them again as it sounds from the reporting. I guess if he sits out they don't actually have to pay him, but I'm assuming his salary would still count against the cap. If you let him sit a year and then trade him his value will have gone down. Maybe they think he's bluffing and he'll come back.

I think we'll see the Packers actively looking to entertain trade offers post June 1st.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021/5/4/22419022/explaining-the-salary-cap-ramifications-of-a-potential-aaron-rodgers-trade

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I think we'll see the Packers actively looking to entertain trade offers post June 1st.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021/5/4/22419022/explaining-the-salary-cap-ramifications-of-a-potential-aaron-rodgers-trade

Take the WFT off the list though.  See the post that Joeken24 posted w/RR interview.  Tell you all you need to know that Fitz is our QB.

Edited by RWJ

23 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Check out what Ron says about QB at the 23:18. Makes so much sense IMO. It is exactly why I'm of the opinion not to trade up for a rookie unless he's "generational".  In order to win in this league, you need your entire team built along with a QB that's not going to **** it up for you. Fitz has a history but that seems to be what it is....history.

His job will not be to keep his job. He'll probably do less chance taking. Fitz doesn't have accuracy issues and he's seen every defense known to man. So unlike a rookie, he'll be prepared and able to get the line into the right blocking scheme etc. 

To be fair, no one can know whether a rookie QB is going to be generational.  You evaluate to see whether he has that potential.  It's pretty clear from post draft interviews that they didn't have that kind of grade on Fields (whereas they might have had something higher for Lance).  In that case, you ride with your evaluation and don't trade up.

I will say that if you don't have THE guy in your 

QB room, you have to keep throwing darts at the board and go for one at some point in the draft within every few drafts.  Quality starters are more likely in the first round.  Generational talents are so rare, in terms of getting one, they are all flyers.

And I think you can build QB first or team first.  Either approach works.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Yup its simple... trade him now when his value is high because you dont think Rodgers is the future and want to go with Jordan Love.   Give your QB of the future best chance to succeed with what you get back from Rodgers.

if you think Rodgers have another 3-5 years left then just give him an extension and trade Love.  Admit your stupid mistake

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Yup its simple... trade him now when his value is high because you dont think Rodgers is the future and want to go with Jordan Love.   Give your QB of the future best chance to succeed with what you get back from Rodgers.

if you think Rodgers have another 3-5 years left then just give him an extension and trade Love.  Admit your stupid mistake

I think they already tried offering him more money and he didn't go for it. He's apparently pretty peeved at the FO. They're gonna have to trade him unless they think he's just bluffing, which it doesn't really sound like he is.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yeah, it’s really simple - Heinicke hasn’t proven he can be the ‘guy’.  Hasn’t proven he can’t be either.  Pretty clear (and logical) that this is how the team views him.  As a team, if you aren’t confident/sure (unless maybe we’re talking about a first or second year 1st rounder), you keep looking.  Of course, from a historical perspective, the odds are seriously stacked against TH.

That’s a lot different from RR thinking Heinicke is not the guy.  

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I could see Washington, Carolina and SF as prime spots for Rodgers....Denver too. In fact I'd make Denver the faves to get Rodgers....It'd be a repeat of Peyton Manning there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I agree anything is possible.  My point was that clearly right now Rivera doesn't see Heinicke as the guy.  Agree anything can change it.  I think the added dynamic with Hecinicke is can he stay healthy.

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I could see Washington, Carolina and SF as prime spots for Rodgers....Denver too. In fact I'd make Denver the faves to get Rodgers....It'd be a repeat of Peyton Manning there. 

Well it won't be SF now that they spent their next 3 1st round picks on Lance. Denver I could definitely see. I could potentially see LV too. Carolina? Eh...probably not. Same with Washington. Both NFC teams, which GB will avoid, neither West coast or huge media markets.

I hate to say it, but IF they did change their minds and decide to be open to trading him within the NFC, NYG and Philly could be landing spots. Both would like upgrades probably and both have 2 1st round picks next draft.

Not sure if NYG would jettison Daniel Jones yet but I'm guessing they'd be very tempted. 

39 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not sure if NYG would jettison Daniel Jones yet but I'm guessing they'd be very tempted. 

I hope Jones keeps the Giants hostage and is just mediocre enough to hang onto the job two more years.

If Jones is jettisoned after 3 or 4, then who was the better pick Haskins or Jones? Lol Mediocrity is dangerous, show me who you are whether a bust, average or great, so we can keep it moving.

Here’s to Jones being just good enough to hang onto the job :)

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sjinhan said:

In theory I ABSOLUTELY agree.

However, I suspect this has become a Trent Williams type of situation, where the player is completely fed up with the front office and just wants a change of scenery.

Also Rodgers knows he can get top dollar and a contract on his terms from any team that trades for him.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves