Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Just now, mhd24 said:

Chicago is out.  No way is Detroit trading him in division.  

I don't see Carolina as viable.  Are they trading #8?  If not, than it would have to be a 2021 2nd+2022 1st+2022 3rd.

I hope they're not trading 8. Because if they are we'd probably have to throw in our 2nd rounder at least to make up the difference. 

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Chicago is out.  No way is Detroit trading him in division.  

Intra-divisional Starting QB trades are not out of the question, as we have the precedent of Philly trading us McNabb.

Although that may not be a good comparison though, as Philly probably knew McNabb was basically finished, and had nothing to worry about, while Stafford on the other hand, has a little more mileage left on him 😄

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Intra-divisional Starting QB trades are not out of the question, as we have the precedent of Philly trading us McNabb.

Although that may not be a good comparison though, as Philly probably knew McNabb was basically finished, and had nothing to worry about, while Stafford on the other hand, has a little more mileage left on him 😄

Yeah McNabb was completely done at that point and everyone but Dan Snyder knew it. The only worry the Eagles may have had was about how many worms he'd kill in the DMV.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Absolutely possible....for sure. Any team that doesn't consider Watson would be crazy....

IMO you are a very solid evaluator so I appreciate your thoughts. It just occurred to me today that Jerry will consider it because he has never shown a propensity NOT to go for the shiny new toy, but more then that he is not sold on Prescott.  What do you think about Prescott getting looked at by us if Jerry picks up Watson? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I personally would love to see Houston call Watson’s bluff. Tell him he plays for Houston or he can retire. Let him sit out a year.

Now, if they cave into his demands and trade him ; Houston will want 2 things from any Watson trade. 

#1- the ability to get a replacement QB

#2- draft picks - the higher the better.

I already mentioned that the Jets, Dolphins and Jaguars  as the teams that best can meet Houston’s demands. Now, Jacksonville will probably draft Lawrence; so they are out.

San Francisco has a higher pick and a QB that Houston could use or trade to someone.

Washington would have to give up 3 first round picks and at least 2 second picks; to be equal what other teams could give. Now, one if those first round picks can be a player. I still think that’s too much.

One final thing, since Watson had a no trade clause; he basically dictates where Houston can trade him.

Stafford is affordable but something tells me; he goes elsewhere.

My guess we get a second tier QB to be our 21 starter and draft someone to be groomed to take over in 22 or 23. Taylor and Kyle will be resigned to battle for the backup position but only will make the final roster; since the rookie QB us being groomed to be the eventual starter.

I can't see Houston allowing Watson to dictate where they trade him, that would be giving in too much. I suppose you could be right but would they seriously allow him to reject every trade offer they get just because he wants to play in Miami or New York? I'd think they, at best, tell him they will agree to trade him but they're taking the best offer for them, not for him. 

Also, I agree with you that it will take too much for us to get him compared to what other teams offer unless Houston is willing to take players back in return rather than all picks. 

Maybe if they said "give us Chase Young and two 1sts for Watson" we would have a shot but we wouldn't do that. How bout Gibson, Kurl, two 1sts for Watson....they might like something like that. Doubt it, but that's probly somewhere along the lines of what we'd have to offer I'm guessing?

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Unfortunately I just don't believe anything when it comes to this team. Guys in the know drop hints to say what's going on but then other guys who we think are in the know day the opposite and it gets confusing and frustrating. Until he doesn't own the team I just expect that Dan runs the front office when he wants to. 

I think Jay was referring squarely to Haskins with that point.  But I love it that he leveled Dan there.   It was a killer sound bite and that one is going to stick on Dan forever.

So many other past coaches/personnel types are at best passive aggressive with Dan when recapping things even Shanny.   Shanny will defend Dan for mostly not interferring with him but then lets on a story here and there when he did.  Casserly kisses up to Dan all the time publicly.  

It strikes me based on what beat guys have said that Dan doesn't interfere the way he once did.  But he still interferes and his pet position is QB.  Most suspect Dan isn't interferring with Rivera yet.  But things can change with him on a dime. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

IMO you are a very solid evaluator so I appreciate your thoughts. It just occurred to me today that Jerry will consider it because he has never shown a propensity NOT to go for the shiny new toy, but more then that he is not sold on Prescott.  What do you think about Prescott getting looked at by us if Jerry picks up Watson? 

I think we will have our new QB or plan in place before Dak would become available....I'm guessing this Watson thing is gonna take a long time to play out, maybe right up til the draft and I can't see RR waiting that long to figure out the QB situation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah McNabb was completely done at that point and everyone but Dan Snyder knew it. The only worry the Eagles may have had was about how many worms he'd kill in the DMV.

I didn't like that trade at all. Short term he managed to beat the Eagles in one of the matchups cause Vick got injured and Kolb refused to throw the ball to anyone but McCoy.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Jay was referring squarely to Haskins with that point.  But I love it that he leveled Dan there.   It was a killer sound bite and that one is going to stick on Dan forever.

Was he though. Maybe he was. But i know I've heard this before. With Moss vs Garder, with the qbs we've mentioned, probably with Allen vs Foster. I honestly think he's involved in everything and Haskins may have been the breaking point. And I think Gruden just doesn't care about talking about it so we'll likely learn more about Dan in these coming years. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Was he though. Maybe he was. But i know I've heard this before. With Moss vs Garder, with the qbs we've mentioned, probably with Allen vs Foster. I honestly think he's involved in everything and Haskins may have been the breaking point. And I think Gruden just doesn't care about talking about it so we'll likely learn more about Dan in these coming years. 

no way to know.  No doubt we got the worst owner in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, MarkMissoula said:

Question is does anybody have the slightest idea what we or anyone has to give up to get him?  Is the 19th enough?  I think it will take more than that.

Most are saying a first and change.  As to what the change is that seems to be the mystery. 

On another note, as to the Redskins Today tweet which I posted where the dude said Breer predicts Stafford goes to the WFT -- assuming he got that nugget from the Breer Q & A -- I just watched the whole thing and he didn't just say the WFT but said WFT or Carolina. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Most are saying a first and change.  As to what the change is that seems to be the mystery. 

On another note, as to the Redskins Today tweet which I posted where the dude said Breer predicts Stafford goes to the WFT -- assuming he got that nugget from the Breer Q & A -- I just watched the whole thing and he didn't just say the WFT but said WFT or Carolina. 

If we get Stafford I bet we overpay...1st and 3rd this year plus a 2nd and 6th next year is along the lines of what I think we'll pay.  I don't think RR wants to play around and he's gonna do what it takes to get a solid vet. He knows how close this team is and if he wants Stafford he's gonna do what it takes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If we get Stafford I bet we overpay...1st and 3rd this year plus a 2nd and 6th next year is along the lines of what I think we'll pay.  I don't think RR wants to play around and he's gonna do what it takes to get a solid vet. He knows how close this team is and if he wants Stafford he's gonna do what it takes.

Yesterday it seemed like it was between SF and Indy.  Today at least judging by Breer's comments its between WFT and Carolina.  Who knows?  But if that's true and Peter King is right that this could be done by Tuesday, the bidding might take up the price.  got no idea.  You could be right.  I agree with your general point which is Rivera probably doesn't want to mess around.  The beat guys seems to believe they prefer a veteran and if so Stafford is more attractive IMO than any other option aside from Watson and Dak.  And we don't know if Dak or Watson even hit the market. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

If we get stafford I bet Snyder told Rivera what he told Shanny, to go all in or whatever. I can't help but think we'll lose this trade. And that's not saying I don't want Stafford it's saying that Dan can't do business

Dude...we get it. You think Dan has his hands in this. Sheesh.

eeyore-quotes-header-062019.jpg?1561049598

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

If we get stafford I bet Snyder told Rivera what he told Shanny, to go all in or whatever. I can't help but think we'll lose this trade. And that's not saying I don't want Stafford it's saying that Dan can't do business

I don't know.   Seems like for the moment Dan has given Ron some rope -- for example releasing Haskins, etc. 

Bruce was supposedly the one negotiating the deals so it was Bruce going all in not Shanny.  i know with RG3 they had to work around it because Fisher supposedly didn't like Bruce. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I agree, I not only think we will overpay for Stafford but then I think we will overpay in an extension. The only saving grace after the deal will be a SB win cause we will be all in on Stafford. 

Its the Dan way. That being said, we need a QB and this might be the price of getting the guy that takes us to the top. Stafford is a very good QB, give him a running game and a great defense and who knows how far he could take us....if we get him.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So many other past coaches/personnel types are at best passive aggressive with Dan when recapping things even Shanny.   Shanny will defend Dan for mostly not interferring with him but then lets on a story here and there when he did.  Casserly kisses up to Dan all the time publicly.  

It strikes me based on what beat guys have said that Dan doesn't interfere the way he once did.  But he still interferes and his pet position is QB.  Most suspect Dan isn't interferring with Rivera yet.  But things can change with him on a dime. 

If Snyder starts interfering RR there will be rumblings and RR will resign I would think.  I don't think he takes it like Jay Gruden "which will never get another HC job in the NFL" did.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree, I not only think we will overpay for Stafford but then I think we will overpay in an extension. The only saving grace after the deal will be a SB win cause we will be all in on Stafford. 

Its the Dan way. That being said, we need a QB and this might be the price of getting the guy that takes us to the top. Stafford is a very good QB, give him a running game and a great defense and who knows how far he could take us....if we get him.

Dan by nature seems to overpay just about all the time.    I hated the Alex Smith trade at the time.   But, I can deal with overpaying for an asset that I want.  And i do want Stafford.

Having said that, I only want players that Rivera wants.  I don't give a rats behind if Dan likes the same players I do if Rivera isn't on board.  I do sincerely think though Rivera is all in on getting a veteran QB, since its what he's hinted at in his own comments, it's what beat guys have heard too.

When Dan wanted Haskins that wasn't some big shocker.  It was leaked beforehand.  I put out a lot of that stuff at the time on different threads and some argued with me about it and said it was hearsay.  Now its accepted as fact.  My point is the good news is there is no leak that Dan is hot for Stafford. :ols:

Just now, RWJ said:

If Snyder starts interfering RR there will be rumblings and RR will resign I would think.  I don't think he takes it like Jay Gruden "which will never get another HC job in the NFL" did.

I'd think so too.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know.   Seems like for the moment Dan has given Ron some rope -- for example releasing Haskins, etc. 

Bruce was supposedly the one negotiating the deals so it was Bruce going all in not Shanny.  i know with RG3 they had to work around it because Fisher supposedly didn't like Bruce. 

I don't think Snyder has anything to do with negotiations right now as well.  This is all RR.  I think if the team doesn't win then Snyder starts getting involved.  I think until that happens, it's RR's show.  Also, if Josina is reporting it; you know it's real.  She's dialed into the Skins.