Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I see your logic for sure. This is where I am out of my element as I don't watch CFB, so I got no clue who's good or who's coming out which year or anything like that. End of the day, it's all about who's on the board when we pick and how Kyle and Ron have these guys graded.

Broadly, I do agree that if the team isn't in love with a guy, they don't need to take him just because he's the top QB left on their board. That's the flexibility we get by having Alex and Kyle Allen, who between the two of them can drive the car while the FO builds out the roster. Finding a QB within the next two years is a must, but it doesn't have be in Round 1 or 2 of the 2021 draft if the board doesn't shake out that way.

Even if you follow CFB its not always obvious at this point who will be the top prospects the following year.  Last year at this time Zach Wilson and Trey Lance were not on my radar at all.  By contrast I was very aware of Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.  Of those two I viewed Trevor Lawrence as a likely future number 1 pick, but I don't think Fields was firmly in my head as a first round pick last year at this time.  So even if you follow college football its a bit hard to know what the next year QB class will look like.

That's as close as Trevor Lawrence will ever get to escape being drafted by the Jets.  Are there sufficient words to describe what the Jets defense was doing on that TD pass?  46 yards away from the end zone, an all-out blitz was called leaving CBs in one on one coverage?  Really?  

18 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

That's as close as Trevor Lawrence will ever get to escape being drafted by the Jets.  Are there sufficient words to describe what the Jets defense was doing on that TD pass?  46 yards away from the end zone, an all-out blitz was called leaving CBs in one on one coverage?  Really?  

tanking

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Lions won which I think helps us. Falcons and Texans both had a shot but couldn't pull it out. A Charger win helps us too I believe, and of course so does an Eagle win but with the division still in play that game is kinda confusing lolol.

In general the Lions winning is bad for us.  We played them so when they win it helps our strength of schedule (which is bad because the tiebreaker for two teams with equal records is who had the worst strength of schedule).  Since the Lions will have a better strength of schedule we just need to finish with an equally bad record to pick ahead of them.

24 minutes ago, philibusters said:

In general the Lions winning is bad for us.  We played them so when they win it helps our strength of schedule (which is bad because the tiebreaker for two teams with equal records is who had the worst strength of schedule).  Since the Lions will have a better strength of schedule we just need to finish with an equally bad record to pick ahead of them.

Oh right.

I think the top 6 picks are pretty set in stone: Jets, Jaguars, Bengals, Cowboys, Eagles, and Chargers. Fortunately after the top two none of the teams will go QB(Cowboys might depending on Dak but if they're picking 3rd I can't imagine them passing on Sewell).

9 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Would you go after Carson Wentz if they decide to move on with Hurtz? I would. He is so much better than he is playing. He is just trying to do too much. I think he is better than any qb in the draft than maybe Lawrence. 

Nope. It depends though. If we move on from Alex and Allen, then we need the highest picked rookie and maybe another reclamation project like him, but RR is a Vet HC. We have the perfect situation to groom a QB if Alex and Allen stay. We're on our 3rd QB this year. Alex keeps us winning and lets a young guy learn. He and Allen really let us not reach and groom. 

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nope. It depends though. If we move on from Alex and Allen, then we need the highest picked rookie and maybe another reclamation project like him, but RR is a Vet HC. We have the perfect situation to groom a QB if Alex and Allen stay. We're on our 3rd QB this year. Alex keeps us winning and lets a young guy learn. He and Allen really let us not reach and groom. 

I'd give Wentz a one year 15 million dollar contract.

13 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

I was thinking as I saw that unfold this is why coaches play the prevent defenses fans have been cursing for years.  

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was thinking as I saw that unfold this is why coaches play the prevent defenses fans have been cursing for years.  

Theres an in between that should be visited more often in these situations...

Also, to the above convo RE: Wentz. I’d take a flyer on him for a relatively bargain contract. I wouldn’t take him on the current. But he’s coming off significant injuries and is injury prone. He is better than he has been for the Eagles. The situation reads like a classic HC/OC/QB not on the same mental rhythm, though maybe he’s just not playing well. 

I sure as hell wouldn’t trade anything of value for him. 

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Too many teams play the prevent defense with entirely too much time left on the clock.  The Raiders were 46 yards away from the end zone needing a TD with 13 seconds on the clock and no time outs.  The prevent defense was tailor made for that situation.  A dumb defensive call plus dumb CB coverage equals #1 draft pick.  A lot of these coaches and players, however, will not be employed by the Jets next year to benefit from drafting Trevor Lawrence.

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Out of the top 10 now. Giants going to be very difficult to topple in the division at this stage. 

See how tonight’s game goes. I’m inclined to think a 4-12 record is the best outcome for us at present.

I agree.  The driving force for me is the confidence I have in this roster is why my top desire is having a top pick.  Losing games doesn't phase that confidence.  We need to upgrade certain spots.  For example you add a J. Chase or Kyle Pitts to the current set of weapons -- wow.   

The thing about having high picks isn't squarely just about the first round but every round.   There is a difference between picking early in each round.

Cases in point, I recall hearing later Jay and Kyle Smith really dug Dalvin Cook  but he went ahead of their pick so they took Ryan Anderson.  Seahawks wanted Tyler Lockett so they traded up with us in the 4th round to get him, we had the higher pick that they coveted.  Dallas did the same with us in the 2nd to get D. Lawrence.    the early 2nd round, often has 1st round caliber prospects that slip for various reasons.    Once you go deeper into that round that dynamic is diluted. 

The top picks don't guarantee argument that some use to defeat this point -- I get it yep they are no guarantees in life.   But its statisitically proven the higher you pick the more likely you get a better player.    It's all about playing the odds.   it's not complicated.  And the fact that there are no guarantees and a pool of 240 players beats 10 players and all the other stuff doesn't defeat the point.   There is a reason why teams have to give up a lot to trade up.  And yes sometimes that backfires but it doesn't preclude other teams from continuing to do it.  They aren't trading up becuase they feel that picking where they are or 10 spots higher will yield the same player.    

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This team still needs more blue chip difference makers and those are generally found in the top 5-10. Once you get to the teens/20s you're finding guys like Jonathan Allen best case scenario, good players but not guys who can change games.

Yep same point applies but to a lesser degree to the next rounds.  For all the draft fanatics on this board, I am sure you guys can really even before the start of the the third day (4th round) there are a bunch of players we covet that ultimately get gobbled up fast.

The fact that Kirk Cousins was taking in the 4th, or Mahomes was taking with the 10th pick in the draft or London Fletcher went undrafted or name the permutations of all 32 teams combined over the yearrs -- doesn't change any of this.    

It's playing the odds.  I'd take my chances with Kyle Pitts, J. Chase, M. Parsons over the 15-20 range guys.

Archived