Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

2 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

"We had elite LTs for years and we were still bad so that must mean LTs aren't that important to winning" is such a Washington Football Team thing to say.

Yeah I don’t agree with that logic. 

I think we’d be lucky to get the top 3 QBs, Sewell, Parsons or Chase. 

After that there are still players that will help. We have so many issues.

But a franchise QB is so important. I’d like to not be horrendous next year.

32 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah 7 is basically right behind the range where the top QBs tend to go. 

I'm a bit worried that Rivera will watch Alex play decent ball as he is now (nothing great, but not awful) and decide he can roll with him. Even without the injury concern the dude is still going to be 37 at the start of next season.

Fox just did an ageless wonders thing. Also  Mahomes went at 10, Watson went 12.  Jackson went 32.  Rosen if he ever turns into anything also went 10

2 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Bengals were still competing for a top 3 pick coming into today's game, with Burrow. He wasn't saving that team until they built more around him. He isn't a good example for us. 

But once they get some pieces they'll surge ahead. Its like when the Eagles got Wentz in 2016. Yeah they went 7-9 his rookie year but they went 13-3 and won the Super Bowl the next year largely due to the great season he was having before he got hurt to put them in that position.

Yeah the QB won't win games all by himself one but without one you have NO chance of sustaining success year in year out over the long term.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m not even 100% sold that Chase will be the top WR in the draft. Devonte has been fire all season.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But once they get some pieces they'll surge ahead. Its like when the Eagles got Wentz in 2016. Yeah they went 7-9 his rookie year but they went 13-3 and won the Super Bowl the next year largely due to the great season he was having before he got hurt to put them in that position.

Yeah the QB won't win games all by himself one but without one you have NO chance of sustaining success year in year out over the long term.

I don’t understand why people don’t get that.  This ain’t the early 2000s Ravens league anymore.   You need a QB to have sustained success.  

Just now, KDawg said:

We need more playmakers and game changers, in general. Right now our coaches have to scheme 90% of the victories on game day (other than the DL). Guys like Sewell, Parsons, and Chase will win snaps on talent alone. We need that. 

I agree about the value of a franchise QB. I am just more skeptical than ever about what it takes to be successful here. I prefer getting more pieces so that we actually maximize whatever rookie we draft instead of asking them to carry the team out the gate. Most successful young QBs in recent history were brought in to situations where the QB was one of the last pieces added (Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers years ago, etc.). Waiting another year for a QB has a lot of benefits.

Falcons are a QB wild card too. I believe Ryan is still under contract but a new coach will probably want to rebuild with a young guy. On the flip side the offense still has talent to be top 10 and maybe they use that pick to shore up the OL or D to win now.

Broncos will probably go QB. Lock has been "meh" and Elway doesn't seem to be very patient at that position.

Its imperative we finish with a higher pick than those two. The Bengals, Chargers, and Dolphins(via Texans pick)we don't need to worry about, 0 chance those teams take a QB.

Just now, IrepDC said:

We need more playmakers and game changers, in general. Right now our coaches have to scheme 90% of the victories on game day (other than the DL). Guys like Sewell, Parsons, and Chase will win snaps on talent alone. We need that. 

I agree about the value of a franchise QB. I am just more skeptical than ever about what it takes to be successful here. I prefer getting more pieces so that we actually maximize whatever rookie we draft instead of asking them to carry the team out the gate. Most successful young QBs in recent history were brought in to situations where the QB was one of the last pieces added (Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers years ago, etc.). Waiting another year for a QB has a lot of benefits.

Unless there aren’t any next year. There are years like that. This year seems to have three that will be impactful. 

Next year? Who knows. I’d like to be in poor position to get one, though :ols:

Just now, IrepDC said:

I get what you're saying but in today's NFL you want to get that QB as soon as possible. You get a talented young QB on a rookie contract you open up a 4-5 year window.

If we wait another year that's another year we essentially waste of guys like McLaurin, Gibson, Young, Sweat, etc.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe we gret Pitts in the first and Lance in the second. There is zero chance we get to Fields or TL this year unless Alex goes down and I seriously doubt anyone would want that.

I don’t think Pitts is the answer at all. He’s basically a slot receiver. I like him. And I’d take him depending what’s on the board. But it’s hard to get amped about him. 

Lance won’t be there in the second. 

Just now, KDawg said:

I don’t think Pitts is the answer at all. He’s basically a slot receiver. I like him. And I’d take him depending what’s on the board. But it’s hard to get amped about him. 

Lance won’t be there in the second. 

I have no idea at this point. I just know we aren't getting one of the top 2 QBs, so there's a lot of options.

TE and MLB are two positions I have to believe RR credits to his success over the years.

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What happens in Washington while the rookie QB is playing okay and the team is losing? What has our fanbase and media shown you the past 20 years? Burrow knows that Cincinnati is behind him. That's not how our fanbase rocks. We will attack you until you prove us wrong. When we aren't winning, we are attacking Chase Young(our best young player), our DL(the strength of our team), and even drafting HOF LTs(one of the few things we are good at) in Washington. We eat our own!! Unless the QB shows unquestionable superstar ability, I've seen it enough to know it's a set up.

10 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

"We had elite LTs for years and we were still bad so that must mean LTs aren't that important to winning" is such a Washington Football Team thing to say.

You're going a bit hard on that straw man aren't you?

Nobody has said that LT isn't important. But if you have a stud LT protecting the blind side of ****ty or even mediocre QBs, it's certainly not going to be the difference between winning and losing most times. We saw that throughout the last 20 years.

In contrast, a really good QB can make that difference, even without an elite LT. Cincy's OL is very pedestrian, but Burrow was able to read and get the ball out correctly too fast for us to get a ton of pressure on him and he was picking us apart.

Then look what happened when Finley came in. We suddenly looked like the 1985 Bears DL. They couldn't move the ball at all and Finley was getting sacked right and left.

I'm all for getting a guy like Sewell (I really do love him as a prospect) but not over one of the top 3 QBs if they fall to us (assuming our scouts and coaching staff like him too, obviously). Sewell protecting the blind side for Alex Smith, Kyle Allen, some mid round rookie we took a flyer on, or some mediocre new FA we signed, is going to end up with us being consistently mediocre over and over for the foreseeable future.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Unless there aren’t any next year. There are years like that. This year seems to have three that will be impactful. 

Next year? Who knows. I’d like to be in poor position to get one, though :ols:

With so many bad teams already having young QBs to develop(s few more after this draft), and decent teams having established starters, I expect some talented QBs to fall in the next few drafts. Remember I said that. 

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have no idea at this point. I just know we aren't getting one of the top 2 QBs, so there's a lot of options.

TE and MLB are two positions I have to believe RR credits to his success over the years.

Pitts isn’t really a tight end, though. I know, I know. He is technically a tight end. But he doesn’t do a ton of in-line blocking from what I’ve watched of him. 

I haven’t deep dove anyone yet, to be fair. But Pitts is more of a slot... same with Jordan.

Bushman and Friar Freiermuth and Hunter Long are more in-line types. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

You're going a bit hard on that straw man aren't you?

Nobody has said that LT isn't important. But if you have a stud LT protecting the blind side of ****ty or even mediocre QBs, it's certainly not going to be the difference between winning and losing most times. We saw that throughout the last 20 years.

In contrast, a really good QB can make that difference, even without an elite LT. Cincy's OL is very pedestrian, but Burrow was able to read and get the ball out correctly too fast for us to get a ton of pressure on him and he was picking us apart.

Then look what happened when Finley came in. We suddenly looked like the 1985 Bears DL. They couldn't move the ball at all and Finley was getting sacked right and left.

I'm all for getting a guy like Sewell (I really do love him as a prospect) but not over one of the top 3 QBs if they fall to us (assuming our scouts and coaching staff like him too, obviously). Sewell protecting the blind side for Alex Smith, Kyle Allen, some mid round rookie we took a flyer on, or some mediocre new FA we signed, is going to end up with us being consistently mediocre over and over for the foreseeable future.

Bengals were still losing with Burrow so what point are you really making? 

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But then they’d be wishing they had a blue chip QB like Burrow!

They have their franchise QB and are still picking before us. There is no reason to believe that will change now that he is out for the year. 

So the way I see it, if you draft your franchise QB and put them behind a suspect Oline there is a very good chance your investment will be in a track suit on the sideline.

29 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Bengals were still competing for a top 3 pick coming into today's game, with Burrow. He wasn't saving that team until they built more around him. He isn't a good example for us. 

Bengals had the worst record last year.  You expect a rookie QB to lead the team to big turn around the following year?  

With a top 5 drafted QB, I would expect:

1st year:  Many moments where you can say damn this guy can be special.  Burrow is already at this point for the Bengals.

2nd year: Big improvement in QB play and team on the rise.  Kyler Murray with Cardinals.

3rd year: Your franchise QB for the possible next decade.

If I don’t see this timeline, I am definitely thinking about getting another QB.  Trying to hold onto a mediocre QB is just wasting time.

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

With so many bad teams already having young QBs to develop(s few more after this draft), and decent teams having established starters, I expect some talented QBs to fall in the next few drafts. Remember I said that. 

I don’t think that’s far fetched. But there’s always teams on the market for a QB. Minnesota could be soon, Chicago, NYJ, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Tampa, do the Titans stick with Tannehill over the next 5 years? The Eagles (is Hurts a viable option? I think he could be but who knows), the Raiders? The Broncos, the Patriots, the Lions?

Just now, Sellersfan said:

They have their franchise QB and are still picking before us. There is no reason to believe that will change now that he is out for the year. 

So the way I see it, if you draft your franchise QB and put them behind a suspect Oline there is a very good chance your investment will be in a track suit on the sideline.

I thought you meant a franchise LT instead of Burrow...

28 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It would be great, but I think that ship sailed for 2021 with the victory today. I'd be shocked if the Jets and Jaguars aren't the top 2 picks, and both need QBs. No real need to trade out. Then what? Hope to find a good third QB in the same draft? It could happen, but it seems extremely unlikely to do so. Any rookie QB is risky, but you'd generally want first or second choice at worst. Seems far more likely to get the next Josh Rosen or the next Blaine Gabbert than a real franchise QB. Probably have to wait til 2022 at the earliest.

When you get as high as pick #2 and you don't have a QB, it almost seems crazy to me not to draft one. I love Chase and the potential that he has, but he has to be a perennial All-Pro to make me think that it was a good move to pass on Tua and Herbert (who I honestly didn't expect to be this good). 

Archived