Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(2020) We clinched the NFC East didn't we?

I'm confident of this team.

All of these games are winnable.

Here's the thing -

everyone is quick to acknowledge that the NYG are a better team than they were at the start of the season.

So why can't they acknowledge that we are a better team, than we were at the season's start ?

All signs are pointing that way.

Another thing.

The Broncos are on the verge of a huge upset over KC.

The Raiders already have beaten KC, and nearly pulled off a sweep of them ; the Raiders ; who needed a last second 46 yard loft for a TD, to keep from giving the 0-11 Jets their very first win.

So then, why is it a stretch to believe we can pull off an upset over a team, that is not nearly as good as their record ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Here's the thing -

everyone is quick to acknowledge that the NYG are a better team than they were at the start of the season.

So why can't they acknowledge that we are a better team, than we were at the season's start ?

Another thing.

The Broncos are on the verge of a huge upset over KC.

Last week, or the week before, the Raiders, nearly pulled off an upset over KC ; the Raiders ; who needed a last second 46 yard loft for a TD, to keep from giving the winless Jets their very first win.

So then, why is it a stretch to believe we can pull off an upset over a team, that is not nearly as good as their record ?

For me, it's simply that now we're behind the 8-ball. I was hoping the WFT would be the NFC East team that somehow squeaked out a win against a team with a winning record, a game we were on paper sure to lose. Now the Giants have done it...So we now have to do it twice lol. Being 5-7 and a game ahead of everyone else in the division with 4 games to go has been flushed down the crapper because Seattle couldn't somehow beat the 4-7 Giants with Colt McCoy.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

For me, it's simply that now we're behind the 8-ball. I was hoping the WFT would be the NFC East team that somehow squeaked out a win against a team with a winning record, a game we were on paper sure to lose. Now the Giants have done it...So we now have to do it twice lol. Being 5-7 and a game ahead of everyone else in the division with 4 games to go has been flushed down the crapper because Seattle couldn't somehow beat the 4-7 Giants with Colt McCoy.

Hopefully we get one against the Steelers.  And if nothing else this game makes me feel like we might actually be able to beat these same Hawks when we see them...not sure how much I should attribute that to the giants playing great or Seattle playing poorly.

The thing that worries me the most at this point is the Giants and us being tied all the way to the final week...forcing me to root for Dallas to beat them.  I mean...I'll do it...but it's going to involve alcohol.

• Haha 3

I hate thinking that this tiebreaker is going to **** us.  In a season where we sweep Dallas and should sweep Philly, losing to the Giants twice could kill our playoff chances.  And I know, draft pick, etc.  But whatever, if you've got a chance to get in the playoffs you gotta go for it no matter how terrible the division is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

The Giants lost every game from the start of the season until they beat us in the first one. They lost 2 more games after that until they beat us the second time. They haven't lost a game since.

Good thing we won't be playing them in the playoffs.  :D

• Like 1

The Giants win yesterday was a huge blow to our chances of winning the division. It makes today's game for us a must win in my opinion, because if we don't we're essentially 2 games behind the Giants ( Tie Breaker) with 4 to play. I get that the Giants have some seemingly tough games ahead, but going to Seattle was supposed to be their toughest one left and they pulled it off.

The Giants are a real confident team right now and I can see them winning out. i don't see Arizona coming to what will likely be a windy and cold Meadowlands and beating them. Cleveland is playing well, but I can see the Giants giving them all they can handle. Baltimore is not what they were and are absolutely beatable. And forget Dallas. There's no way Dallas is going to NY and beating the Giants on the last game of the season. Now, if we can pull off the upset today, I believe we can win out. But the problem is that if the Giants run the table too, we can't overtake them. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Giants win yesterday was a bigger gash to our playoff chances than most people realize.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Maximizing wins over the long term requires a franchise QB. We get one of those, I'll stop rooting for draft position.

When 90% of franchise QBs are drafted in the top 5, then I'll start rooting for draft position. I'm not even sure it's 50% at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Maximizing wins over the long term requires a franchise QB. We get one of those, I'll stop rooting for draft position.

Because the Steelers, Chiefs, Pack, Pats, etc all found their respective QBs by losing.......

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Here's the thing -

I said this in the off season some have this odd superior complex to the Giants that's not justified.   They'e beaten us something like 9 out of the last 12 times or something like that?  Some of those games being blowouts, at least this year they were close. 

I think part of that is Gettleman comes off as much as a public buffoon as Bruce did.  The thing is he's had some good drafts in spite of some misfires in that mix.  The moves that he's most lampooned for are:  picking Daniel Jones (I made fun of him for it too but I was wrong), not paying Josh Norman the big bucks he wanted, not paying Landon Collins big bucks and trading Beckham.  Over time, he's been vindicated on every one of those moves.  Yeah he does sound as clownish publicly as Bruce did but he's smarter than Bruce IMO.  

They had a really good off season.  Bradberry right now might be one of the top corners in the NFL.  Martinez is one of the better MLBs.  Logan Ryan has been good.  The Leonard Williams trade was questioned last year but he's been a a monster this year on track to get over 10 sacks. 

As I've said before, I hate the Giants for personal reasons.  And no one would love more to think they are the joke that others purported they were before the season.  But that team is no joke and we certainly don't deserve any superior complex when it comes to them -- they've owned us head to head.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They had a really good off season.  Bradberry right now might be one of the top corners in the NFL.  Martinez is one of the better MLBs.  Logan Ryan has been good. 

A failing of our offseason for sure. We have patched up the CB position, but why we didn’t get after anyone of those 3 players in beyond me.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

When 90% of franchise QBs are drafted in the top 5, then I'll start rooting for draft position. I'm not even sure it's 50% at this point.

50% of any top players for any position aren't going top 5.  But the point doesn't prove anything about the power of the top 5.  

There is a reason why it costs a premium to trade into the top 5 and its not because teams are stupid.  The odds increase that you get an elite player the higher you draft.  That's statisitically proven.

The fact that the odds are better that you will more likely find an elite player in a pool of 240 players versus 5 goes without saying.  That's statisitically proven too.

If we don't get a top 5 pick we won't be rewarded with the next 240 players.    So yeah taking a QB early versus name that random spot in the draft is more likely to yield a stud franchise QB.  But if we are weighing a top 5 pick versus all the picks of every other team after that.  Then all the other picks will easily prevail.  But alas we aren't getting all the other picks. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we don't get a top 5 pick we won't be rewarded with the next 240 players.    So yeah taking a QB early versus name that random spot in the draft is more likely to yield a stud franchise QB.  But if we are weighing a top 5 pick versus all the picks of every other team after that.  Then all the other picks will easily previal.  But alas we aren't getting all the other picks. 

So there are no good players 6-240?  Why even draft then?

10 minutes ago, Ashburn Dave said:

So there are no good players 6-240?  Why even draft then?

That's your takeaway from my point?  

14 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

A failing of our offseason for sure. We have patched up the CB position, but why we didn’t get after anyone of those 3 players in beyond me.

We had some good signings including Fuller and Darby but Martinez would have helped the MLB spot.   That defense has really turned around.  I noticed its chic for the NFL observer types to call the Giants as having the top defense in the NFL East.  Heck Del Rio debated Baldinger on that point on twitter when Baldinger pushed the Giants.

I don't think the Giants have the better defense myself but the fact that its even a discussion shows how far they've come.  Their interior D line matches ours IMO -- some ala PFF claimed theirs is even better.  We got the better pass rush in general though because of our edge rushers.  They have the better linebackers and safeties.  Corners might be a toss up but some say theirs are better. 

3 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

The Giants are a real confident team right now and I can see them winning out. i don't see Arizona coming to what will likely be a windy and cold Meadowlands and beating them. Cleveland is playing well, but I can see the Giants giving them all they can handle. Baltimore is not what they were and are absolutely beatable. And forget Dallas. There's no way Dallas is going to NY and beating the Giants on the last game of the season. Now, if we can pull off the upset today, I believe we can win out. But the problem is that if the Giants run the table too, we can't overtake them. 

I think a lot of it depends on when Jones comes back. Colt is a decent backup, but I can see him coming down to earth pretty fast.  If Jones can get back in the lineup, the Giants can probably get to 7-9, which is probably the best you can expect from WFT at this point......of course, a huge upset of the Steelers can change my mind!

7 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I think a lot of it depends on when Jones comes back. Colt is a decent backup, but I can see him coming down to earth pretty fast.  If Jones can get back in the lineup, the Giants can probably get to 7-9, which is probably the best you can expect from WFT at this point......of course, a huge upset of the Steelers can change my mind!

I watched that game.  Colt didn't win it for him.  He just played the game manager role.  Their defense and to a lesser extent run game took over. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched that game.  Colt didn't win it for him.  He just played the game manager role.  Their defense and to a lesser extent run game took over. 

Agree SIP, 17 points isn't enough to win a lot of games in this league.  I can just see Colt making more mistakes if he was forced into more regular action. But I think Jones will probably get back in there soon anyway.

Giants D is legit and unlike Jones, McCoy won't turn the football over. That formula probably gets them to 7-9 as I see them beating a slumping Cardinals team at home and thrashing the Cowboys in the finale.

At least we'll get a top 10 pick and have meaningful games in December. I'll take it.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

50% of any top players for any position aren't going top 5.  But the point doesn't prove anything about the power of the top 5.  

There is a reason why it costs a premium to trade into the top 5 and its not because teams are stupid.  The odds increase that you get an elite player the higher you draft.  That's statisitically proven.

The fact that the odds are better that you will more likely find an elite player in a pool of 240 players versus 5 goes without saying.  That's statisitically proven too.

If you have quality talent evaluators, a smart GM, and a capable coaching staff, it doesn't matter at all where you draft.

If you do NOT have quality talent evaluators, a smart GM, and a capable coaching staff, then it REALLY doesn't matter where you draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

If you have quality talent evaluators, a smart GM, and a capable coaching staff, it doesn't matter at all where you draft.

If you do NOT have quality talent evaluators, a smart GM, and a capable coaching staff, then it REALLY doesn't matter where you draft.

So if we got Kyle Smith, and lets say for argument sake he's a top evaulator (which I believe he is) it makes no difference if he's picking Trevor Lawrence at the top or lets say he's picking 15 and deciding between Trey Lance and Mac Jones or whatever permutation.  We got Kyle Smith and he will end up with the better player regardless?

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I keep looking at stars, absolute beast players that went in the 2nd or 3rd, etc., and always think about how every single super special professional expert passed on them. 

It isn't even about getting the best guy, it's about getting the right guy, the player that fits your scheme and lockerroom and mindset and the rest. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

I keep looking at stars, absolute beast players that went in the 2nd or 3rd, etc., and always think about how every single super special professional expert passed on them. 

It isn't even about getting the best guy, it's about getting the right guy, the player that fits your scheme and lockerroom and mindset and the rest. 

All true.  But if you called an NFL exeuctive and asked them you can pick lets say 5th in the draft or 19th -- the answer wouldn't be yawn, who cares.  Either one is the same.    And there is a reason why.

Dudes like Chase Young, Kyler Murray, etc don't tend to fall to #19.  Just because studs can be found later or perceived studs can fail doesn't mean that the odds are just as good that you will find a stud at #19 versus the top 5.  

Heck you can find a stud who is an undrafted free agent let alone in the later first.  There are 250 players picked in the average draft of late.  But the lower the pick the more likely you are going to miss.  It doesn't preclude you from finding studs but it lessens the odds. 

• Like 1

I get that but at the same time we've all seen (and experienced) teams making megadeals to trade up for that can't miss superstar only to have it turn out later to be not so much.

I am a very black n white, you play the team in front of you and take care of your own business and success will follow kinda guy. Would I love a higher pick? Uh, sure, hit me, but at what price? I see value in a young team learning and growing and fighting to win even when it means you slip in the draft order. I always think that tanking for a pick has other costs, you tell players "well maybe next year" and they can get comfortable with "Oh well, 85% is enough...." 

To me, the organization doing their jobs well and thereby finding value anywhere means more to me than any draft slot. Burrow is a helluva player but he's only one guy. Lawrence is gonna command a kings ransom but still, is just one guy.

Hindsight is always clearer of course, McLaurin would have gone sooner, Metcalf would have gone sooner if anyone's crystal ball was clearer, and that's part of the fun of it all, but in the end Rivera and Smith and the rest having a clear understanding of where we're going and who will help with the ride will determine more than the draft order.

• Partag changed the title to (2020) We clinched the NFC East didn't we?