Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(2020) We clinched the NFC East didn't we?


Recommended Posts

I am still not sure whether I want us to go to the playoffs or not. On the one hand I'd be really happy for Rivera, the young guys and Alex Smith and it would mean we finish the season somewhat strong. On the other hand, I see us getting blasted in the first round of the playoffs and don't see how that is worth sacraficing 10 spots in the draft order when we obviously need a new QB going forward.

I think I'd be more than okay with a scenario where we finish somewhat strong (be competitive in every game), miss out on the playoffs and still pick in a spot that enables us to land a QB. So we can get some momentum going that hopefully carries over into the next seasons with this young team and also makes this place a bit more attractive for free agents.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I am still not sure whether I want us to go to the playoffs or not.

I think Rivera explained it well. If we make the playoffs because the culture has changed, better habits are being rewarded, and players are developing then that is exciting. If we barely made it with a patched-up, jerry rigged team full of thirty-three year old free agents, it doesn't mean as much.

 

He also, caught his show this week, said, how some of the players chaffed at what he was trying to instill and install, saying, "We did X last year and it worked okay." Rivera's response was "You were 3-13 last year." following up with "Maybe some of those players who were satisfied with losing need to end their run here."

 

So, I think if a 6-10 playoff team means the end of complacency and signals players being not okay with losing. Then, I'm okay with the playoffs. If 6-10 means that all those rookie, second, and third year players have gelled and are becoming a real team, then I'm okay with losing a better draft pick.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

The nice thing here is if we are going to make the playoffs we'll have to earn it, there won't be any backing in.

 

We have a brutal 3 game stretch, Niners are getting healthier but they did get 4 T/O's yesterday and still only put up 23 points so I think we can match up because their offense is struggling.

 

The Panthers are a tough out and have been a better football team than us all year, we're gonna have to beat at least one solid football team if we are to make it, that's something we haven't done all year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cowboys are done.  So:

WFT's remaining schedule:

- @ Steelers

- @ 49ers
- Seahawks

- Panthers

- Eagles

 

Eagles remaining schedule:
- Seahawks

- Packers

- Saints

- Cardinals 

- Cowboys

- Washington

 

Giants remaining schedule:
- Seahawks

- Cardinals

- Browns

- Ravens

- Cowboys

 

It's a race to see who can win 2 games, IMO.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

It's a race to see who can win 2 games, IMO.  

If the giants win 2 (big if...the Jones injury isn't looking good), we need to win 3 since they swept us and have the tie breakers.

 

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

6-10 is going to win the division. The other 3 will be picking top 10 in the draft.

So basically the division is so bad that there is currently no way for anyone to lose more (we all either pick hi or go to the playoffs).

 

I probably shouldn't say that...if nothing else 2020 has taught me that there is always a way to lose more that I just haven't thought of yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jabbyrwock said:

If the giants win 2 (big if...the Jones injury isn't looking good), we need to win 3 since they swept us and have the tie breakers.

 

I am banking on the Giants only winning one more game this year, specifically because of the Jones injury.  Colt McCoy will inevitably get injured again and they'll be in emergency QB mode.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

 

I am banking on the Giants only winning one more game this year, specifically because of the Jones injury.  Colt McCoy will inevitably get injured again and they'll be in emergency QB mode.  

I think your likely correct.  Even though the Giants have the Cowboys spotting them one game, all four of their other games will be with teams fighting for playoff spots and playoff positioning.  We, on the other hand, have Carolina...who by the time we play them will likely be eliminated (the 49ers will still be in the hunt and play hard when we see them).  So the likeliest path for us to the playoffs will be the giants losing up to the last week of the year, and we lose all but the Carolina game.  Then the last game of the year we are in control of our own destiny.

 

And, like I said, at that point its a no lose situation.  Win and in (eliminated in first game likely).  Lose and top ten-ish pick.  If nothing else it will finally be interesting football for us in January ;).  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:


I’m not sure they are. They may be very bad, but they have games against the Bengals, 49ers, Eagles, Giants.

 

I think they could stumble to 5-11. Who the hell knows though.

I mean they're worse than all those teams except the Burrow-less Bengals. So I'd peg them at 4-12 at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

The Cowboys are done.  So:

WFT's remaining schedule:

- @ Steelers

- @ 49ers
- Seahawks

- Panthers

- Eagles

 

Eagles remaining schedule:
- Seahawks

- Packers

- Saints

- Cardinals 

- Cowboys

- Washington

 

Giants remaining schedule:
- Seahawks

- Cardinals

- Browns

- Ravens

- Cowboys

 

It's a race to see who can win 2 games, IMO.  

 

Vagiants probably get one or maybe none if Jones is out for an extended period of time.  Philly has a death march.  This team is in the best shape if they can beat the teams they should and even better shape if they can pull of some upsets

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On paper for us, Steelers, 9ers and Seahawks look to be a loss. Panthers have played well this year but record-wise on par with us so consider it a toss up maybe. Eagles is the only team we 'should' beat but division games are always spotty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m not sure they are. They may be very bad, but they have games against the Bengals, 49ers, Eagles, Giants.

 

If Washington were to win just 2 games, the Cowboys will have to win 4 of their last 5 to win this division.  Even with three games, Washington would get the tie breaker because they swept Dallas.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

The Cowboys are done.  So:

WFT's remaining schedule:

- @ Steelers

- @ 49ers
- Seahawks

- Panthers

- Eagles

 

Eagles remaining schedule:
- Seahawks

- Packers

- Saints

- Cardinals 

- Cowboys

- Washington

 

Giants remaining schedule:
- Seahawks

- Cardinals

- Browns

- Ravens

- Cowboys

 

It's a race to see who can win 2 games, IMO.  

Team is definitely beating the Eagles. Maybe one more against San Fran or Carolina.

Giants have a shot against Arizona, Baltimore and Dallas but if Colt has to start; then Giants probably only has a win left in them.

Eagles aren't winning anything. They can only get in by beating Dallas and Us. That probably isn't happening.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, method man said:

This team, the Cowboys and the Giants all going 6-10 wouldn't be a bad scenario. I may be wrong but I believe we would then default to division record, where we would be 4-2 if we beat the Eagles once more.

From NFL.com order for tie breaking (https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures).  TLDR: we lost the head to head with the giants, they get the division if we are all 6-10

 

  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss
Edited by Jabbyrwock
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

From NFL.com order for tie breaking (https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures).  TLDR: we lost the head to head with the giants, they get the division if we are all 6-10

 

 

 

I don't think so. If all three end up tied at 6-10, and we beat the Eagles while the Cowboys beat the Giants in the last game of the season, the #2 tiebreaker is used. The Cowboys and Giants would be eliminated because we would have better divisional record (4-2, compared to 3-3).

 

This is all contingent on the Eagles not winning more than 5 games.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:


what next year?
 

6 will do it this year:rofl89:

Until it CANNOT be true, I'm going to say it is going to take 9. Albeit, next week that will probably fall to 8.

7 hours ago, dyst said:

On paper for us, Steelers, 9ers and Seahawks look to be a loss. Panthers have played well this year but record-wise on par with us so consider it a toss up maybe. Eagles is the only team we 'should' beat but division games are always spotty.

How we finish this season depends on the future of the pick we'd make if it is a QB.  We miss the playoffs and the first round QBs we take WILL be a bust.  We win the division and any of the first round QBs taken in our division will at least be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

 

I don't think so. If all three end up tied at 6-10, and we beat the Eagles while the Cowboys beat the Giants in the last game of the season, the #2 tiebreaker is used. The Cowboys and Giants would be eliminated because we would have better divisional record (4-2, compared to 3-3).

 

This is all contingent on the Eagles not winning more than 5 games.

I'll be darned Califan, you and method are correct.  If we are all 6 and 10 and one of those games is Dallas beating the Giants, then yup, we're all 2 and 2 in the head to head (We swept Dallas, Dallas swept NY and NY swept us), so it moves to #2.

 

Having said that, I have no idea how giants get to 6 wins if Dallas isn't one of them.

 

Nonetheless, I was wrong and stand corrected.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the remaining schedules of the three not-Cowboys teams.  Washington needs to beat Carolina & Philly.  If they do that, then the Eagles & Giants will both need a big upset win to win the division.  Now this isn't to say I am overly confident WFT beats Carolina and Philly, I am just saying those two games are very likely must-win games since they are likely losing to Pittsburg, San Fran, & Seattle.  I think the 49ers game is a winnable one, but I am not expecting it. 

 

Realistically at this point, sure I will be rooting for this crazy scenario, but I am not going to be upset if they don't nab the division.  Too many dumb losses on the schedule put them in this position.  The 2nd Giants loss & The Detroit loss are two games that were just inexcusable.  No playoff caliber team should ever lose those two games, but it is what it is.  

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think Rivera explained it well. If we make the playoffs because the culture has changed, better habits are being rewarded, and players are developing then that is exciting. If we barely made it with a patched-up, jerry rigged team full of thirty-three year old free agents, it doesn't mean as much.

 

He also, caught his show this week, said, how some of the players chaffed at what he was trying to instill and install, saying, "We did X last year and it worked okay." Rivera's response was "You were 3-13 last year." following up with "Maybe some of those players who were satisfied with losing need to end their run here."

 

So, I think if a 6-10 playoff team means the end of complacency and signals players being not okay with losing. Then, I'm okay with the playoffs. If 6-10 means that all those rookie, second, and third year players have gelled and are becoming a real team, then I'm okay with losing a better draft pick.

Well said....after years of losing I'm OK with every win we get, especially seeing the young kids developing and the offensive and defensive lines taking over games in the 2nd half. The QB position will work itself out. I can't help but look at the situations in Philly, Baltimore, Chicago, New York, New York and Denver and see how all have highly drafted QB's who have leveled off the same as our boy RG lll did when we thought we were set for 10 years. The Saints are winning with a guy who runs better than he throws. The Bucs have studs everywhere and can't win against the better teams with the GOAT as their QB. We will find a QB who will perform as long as we build around him. Jim McMahon was not a great QB. Trent Dilfer was horrible. Nick Foles....all examples of teams that built around whoever they plugged in at QB. Put me down as wanting to establish a winning culture over playing for draft position. I'm not convinced Tua works out in Miami either, mostly because of his injury history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

 

I am banking on the Giants only winning one more game this year, specifically because of the Jones injury.  Colt McCoy will inevitably get injured again and they'll be in emergency QB mode.  

I can see the NYG winning 2 games, Cleveland and Dallas, both at home...for WFT, I see the possibility of more wins depending on health and if they can keep getting better. I believe Carolina, Philly, SF and Pittsburgh are all possible wins IF they play the way they played in Dallas. We are getting the Steelers at the perfect time, tons of rest and time to prepare while they play us on short rest coming off a division game. Carolina is a potential win given the team will be fired up trying to win that one for RR....San Fran will be a very tough game but our #1 pass defense vs. Nick Mullens, or even Garapolo gives us a chance. Philly could be playing Jaylen Hurts by week 17....and then that leaves Seattle???? 

I'm preparing as though we need 3 wins and if that doesn't happen then we don't deserve to go having lost twice to NYG. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Partag changed the title to (2020) We clinched the NFC East didn't we?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...