Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will Ron's excuse be this week?

11 hours ago, ggarriso said:

This is exactly it - everyone outside of about 5 delusional fans in DC know "Simba" is a massive joke, but Rivera is saddled with it because he was a "Danny" pick.  Throwing in the towel before the half and before the end of games because you know "Simba" will throw a pick when he tries to go downfield will ultimately rub the team the wrong way - the other guys who have their paychecks on the line here.  Snyder has found creative ways to run this org into the ground for multiple decades and anyone who thinks the old Riverboat Ron would change things is delusional.   

So what do we think of this week against the ravens?   If Riverboard Ron says to Scott turner, pass as much as you want, challenge them all around the field, take the gloves off.... do you thin kHaskins will rise to that occasion?  Or would Ron Be proven right?  Which situation is really better here?

15 hours ago, -JB- said:

This is getting ugly really fast.  1-15 is possible.

And I'm okay with it if we get the 1st pick to finally get a franchise QB.  We've been waiting for nearly 30 years, I'm tried of waiting to develop a QB. 

Edited by heyholetsgogrant
  • Like 1

I agree with the "this is about next year" sentiment.

Perhaps if we hadn't lost Chase Young and Matt Ioannidis early to injury and perhaps, if we hadn't coughed the ball up 5 times, Rivera might have felt differently down 14 points with 3 mins, or what ever it was, to play...  But those things do tend to color your judgement when balancing risk and reward.

I think most here agree that Rivera's biggest challenge this year is coaching a very young team and that's a very difficult job even with all the pieces in place.  When a key components are lost, the job gets exponentially harder.  It's more important that these guys spend as much time on the field playing together and learning than it is trying to eek out one more win.

This year and every year, the difference between 3-13 and 5-11 is negligible.

50 minutes ago, Veretax said:

So what do we think of this week against the ravens?   If Riverboard Ron says to Scott turner, pass as much as you want, challenge them all around the field, take the gloves off.... do you thin kHaskins will rise to that occasion?  Or would Ron Be proven right?  Which situation is really better here?

I think next week is a trap game for the Ravens who are playing a big one tonight - we might keep it closer than some expect - especially with the conservative gameplan (I do not think the gloves come off next week to answer your question).  I think the best outcome is for the org to accept that we do not have a good NFL QB on the roster, so lets throw in whoever gives us the best chance to win today and look to the future 

1 hour ago, ggarriso said:

I think next week is a trap game for the Ravens who are playing a big one tonight - we might keep it closer than some expect - especially with the conservative gameplan (I do not think the gloves come off next week to answer your question).  I think the best outcome is for the org to accept that we do not have a good NFL QB on the roster, so lets throw in whoever gives us the best chance to win today and look to the future 

I was talking with about this with a buddy of mine, the NFl is not that good this year as a whole.  Maybe Covid had something to do with it?  But, if we had a decent QB (not even all pro), we could be 3-0 right now. I'm in the small group that thinks the WFT is not as bad as people think.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

I was talking with about this with a buddy of mine, the NFl is not that good this year as a whole.  Maybe Covid had something to do with it?  But, if we had a decent QB (not even all pro), we could be 3-0 right now. I'm in the small group that thinks the WFT is not as bad as people think.

Yea, I'm in that group that thinks we are a qb away from competing for the NFC east this year and being a competitive ball club. There was nothing about our team yesterday other than the turnovers and giving the game away that made us look like we were too young and incompetent to compete. Some people here talk about our club like they can barely tie their shoes. And having a coach that is basically saying they are too terrible to call timeouts and try to win. What a shame to the players. 

Schottenheimer set about changing the culture and got canned after one year.  All the other coaches drank the Kool-Aid and pretended they could be competitive with an 8-8 quality team.  Finally Rivera comes and sets about changing the culture and is using his first season to determine which players are keepers and which ones need to go.  Three games into the season fans are ready to bail out.  Unbelievable.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

On the merit, you're right or close to it.  The Cardinals went through that defense like Swiss cheese, but a good QB beats the Browns yesterday.  

40 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Schottenheimer set about changing the culture and got canned after one year.  All the other coaches drank the Kool-Aid and pretended they could be competitive with an 8-8 quality team.  Finally Rivera comes and sets about changing the culture and is using his first season to determine which players are keepers and which ones need to go.  Three games into the season fans are ready to bail out.  Unbelievable.  

I feel like we're convincing ourselves that's what he's doing.  It helps things go down easier, but some of his moves and behavior are nonsensical. 

21 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I feel like we're convincing ourselves that's what he's doing.  It helps things go down easier, but some of his moves and behavior are nonsensical. 

Yep, its like calling timeouts to try and get the ball back to score and seeing which players to keep are mutually exclusive. If anything, you would think getting the ball back to the offense would help in that evaluation, but no.

I don't buy the injury excuse. There's a chance for injury on every play. As Sheehan said this morning, if you're THAT concerned about it, why not just take a knee at the end of the game when you eventually did get it back. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

And I'm okay with it if we get the 1st pick to finally get a franchise QB.  We've been waiting for nearly 30 years, I'm tried of waiting to develop a QB. 

I'm tired of waiting to develop a QB so I can't wait to draft a QB and develop him.

• Haha 2
52 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm tired of waiting to develop a QB so I can't wait to draft a QB and develop him.

The point I'm making is Haskins ant it, I don't want to waste another year on him. Why waste time on a guy deep down we all know is not going to pan out?  All of the QB's talked about in this thread Allen, Murray, etc, you knew they were going to be good. Even Peyton Manning and Drew Brees showed flashes in their abysmal first seasons. That Thomas Davis video from twitter sealed it for me. 

1 minute ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

The point I'm making is Haskins ant it, I don't want to waste another year on him.  All of the QB's talked about in this thread Allen, Murray, etc, you knew they were going to be good. Even Peyton Manning and Drew Brees showed flashes in their abysmal first seasons. That Thomas Davis video from twitter sealed it for me. 

Who is Allen?

And Brees was not only awful his first season, but he was even worse his second season. He obviously didn't show anything if the Chargers were willing to spend the first overall pick on another QB.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Who is Allen?

And Brees was not only awful his first season, but he was even worse his second season. He obviously didn't show anything if the Chargers were willing to spend the first overall pick on another QB.

Josh Allen...

16 hours ago, ggarriso said:

This is exactly it - everyone outside of about 5 delusional fans in DC know "Simba" is a massive joke, but Rivera is saddled with it because he was a "Danny" pick.  Throwing in the towel before the half and before the end of games because you know "Simba" will throw a pick when he tries to go downfield will ultimately rub the team the wrong way - the other guys who have their paychecks on the line here.  Snyder has found creative ways to run this org into the ground for multiple decades and anyone who thinks the old Riverboat Ron would change things is delusional.   

Rivera has full control of this team. If Ron wants to bench Haskins, Ron can without any input from Danny. Danny has problems of his own with minority owners trying to take Danny's control of the team. 

1 minute ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Josh Allen...

Ah. A LOT of people questioned Allen actually. He had a big arm with scrambling ability but a lot of people didn't know whether or not his game translated from the MW to the NFL. A lot of people also said Darnold and Rosen were going to thrive. No one knows for sure who will and who won't.

10 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Ah. A LOT of people questioned Allen actually. He had a big arm with scrambling ability but a lot of people didn't know whether or not his game translated from the MW to the NFL. A lot of people also said Darnold and Rosen were going to thrive. No one knows for sure who will and who won't.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's what did it for me. 

Ron made up for yesterday with his comments today. There are guys playing way too hard and playing winning football to let them down. They deserve better. My feelings of Ron being a coach that wants to win now has been restored. I still disagree with the logic of hanging on to timeouts though.

Ron’s PC today kinda eased my mind a little bit I still don’t get the timeout logic.

Maybe Ron is playing 4d chess, keep the team healthy as possible till it’s Obvious that Haskins isn’t the guy and then......Alex makes his triumphant return and leads us to the Super Bowl in a total made for Hollywood story ! after which we go back to decades of hell. 
🤔😄

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Ron made up for yesterday with his comments today. There are guys playing way too hard and playing winning football to let them down. They deserve better. My feelings of Ron being a coach that wants to win now has been restored. I still disagree with the logic of hanging on to timeouts though.

Well yeah. There is no logic. Acknowledging the guys are playing hard, which has been evident in the comebacks against Philly and from 17-7 yesterday, should make you want to reward them by giving them a (albeit remote) chance at winning at the end. And are the guys fee-fees going to be hurt if Haskins threw a pick 6 at the end to make us lose by a TD more? The whole thing makes zero sense.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Even Peyton Manning and Drew Brees showed flashes in their abysmal first seasons.

Which is exactly why the Chargers benched Brees for Doug freakin' Flutie in his third year, why his teammates were complaining about his play behind the scenes, and why they drafted Brees' replacement in his fourth year...because they could tell he was gonna be good.

Edited by Califan007
  • Haha 2