Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4th and disrespect

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's also a head coach saying to his team, "Hey fellas, I have a set of brass balls because I believe you guys can get this conversion... and if we don't... We'll still stop them."

That confidence, from a psychological standpoint, is big for a team. 

Right...and people applauded something that is pretty similar from Rivera in week 1. When the game was tied and the Skins had the ball inside the 10, didn't he go for a 4th-and-2 rather than kick the go-ahead FG? Was that disrespectful to Philly?

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It's also a head coach saying to his team, "Hey fellas, I have a set of brass balls because I believe you guys can get this conversion... and if we don't... We'll still stop them."

That confidence, from a psychological standpoint, is big for a team. 

yep, for sure and that confidence goes a long way i'm sure. 

16 hours ago, WilberMarshall said:

All these could've been said on the game thread.

Regarding the play, it wasn't disrespectful. They knew they had a play that could work. And it worked becaused Sweat's awareness is poor. His awareness would get better... But right now, his play recognition is poor. 

Ps., The team is still learning the group of personnel to have on the field for such plays. Kerrigan or Anderson on that end during such a play would have played the backside containment. Hope Sweat learned from the play. 

3 hours ago, hp703 said:

This right here, this should be over in the game thread. This is a whiny look at me post.

The issue of going for it vs. punting on 4th down is an interesting topic in a changing NFL.  And Burgold is a long-standing member of this forum whose judgement on what and what shouldn't be posted I would respect more than just about anybody here, including you two.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

My take.

Disrespect vs respect is a straw man.

Only thing at issue for me is whether or not the Cardinals made the correct move given the information available to them.  Like a decision in Hold ‘Em you evaluate the move’s probability of success not the actual result. Variance is a ****(female dog) but in the long run consistently good decisions produce wins.

From an analytical viewpoint the key question WAS NOT how likely they were to get a first down, but rather whether or not a first down, in that situation, significantly increased the probability that they would win and conversely what the failure to get a first down does for the opponent’s probability of success.

It didn’t, for the reasons I expressed in an earlier post, significantly improve their liklihood to win but failure to convert would have dramatically improved our fortunes. 

The risk/reward for that decision favored us not them. They were successful, good for them. They punted a few minutes later. What did they actually gain?

The Cardinals won despite the decision not because of it and had Sweat been more disciplined or if Chase was on that side of the line they may have ended up making the blunder of the week in yet another WFT come from behind victory.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

I mean....i can’t exactly blame them for going for it on 4th down against us. These players are grown ups, they’re not going to go home and cry about it. Until our defense actually starts showing that they can stop teams on 4th down, teams are going to continue doing it, obviously. 

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Right...and people applauded something that is pretty similar from Rivera in week 1. When the game was tied and the Skins had the ball inside the 10, didn't he go for a 4th-and-2 rather than kick the go-ahead FG? Was that disrespectful to Philly?

I think there's a difference between fourth and four from the goal line and fourth and four on your own 28 when you have a multiple touchdown lead. But I hear ya.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think there's a difference between fourth and four from the goal line and fourth and four on your own 28 when you have a multiple touchdown lead. But I hear ya.

That's a good point...but in general a coach isn't making a "show them up" decision over a "I hope this works" decision. 

• Like 1

Last year the Cardinals were 3rd in the league in 4th down efficiency at 65 percent. By contrast their 3rd down efficiency was only 36 percent. I think a large part of their ability to convert on these 4th downs is that you have to account for Murray running the ball. Baltimore with Jackson had the best 4th down efficiency.

• Like 2
On 9/20/2020 at 6:33 PM, wtfskins said:

What needs to change is starting chase young on the left side instead of the right. Also I think Haskins might of realized that McLaurin is always open.  But we’re a young team gonna be some growing pains.  

Been hearing that excuse or variants of it for 30 years

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 9/21/2020 at 3:17 PM, Florgon79 said:

Last year the Cardinals were 3rd in the league in 4th down efficiency at 65 percent. By contrast their 3rd down efficiency was only 36 percent. I think a large part of their ability to convert on these 4th downs is that you have to account for Murray running the ball. Baltimore with Jackson had the best 4th down efficiency.

Sooooo we dont stand a chance next Sunday?  .. lol

• Haha 1