Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Arizona

KDawg

I've never been a Haskins fan because he's a Snyder pick and that I don't believe he has what it takes to be a franchise QB. Nevertheless I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he'll prove me wrong. I beleieve when Fuller will be back our secondary will improve, and Apke is really terrible, how much will it take to bench him ? :stop:.

To sum the game up in two words; very disappointing.

It was said that the slow starts last year were down to Gruden's training regime, and yet here we are again, starting two games at a tortoise pace. This has to be addressed, we're not a good team, definitely not good enough to constantly come back three-score deficits. Sort it out Ron.

The run game improved from last weeks' paltry showing. Was this down to better blocking, better play calling, poorer opponents? I'm not sure, but it was better.

I've been on the fence about Haskins, but have tried my best to watch him with my homer glasses on. I've been trying to convince myself that he's improving each game and will finally be the man. During this game I realised that my homer glasses were slipping and I'm starting to question his ability. Also, the laughing at the end of the game might not be a big deal to some, but I ****ing hate it.

I like Scherff a lot and considered him to be our best lineman. Wes Schweitzer, who's he? Our new right guard perhaps?

Someone needs to give Apke a protractor 'cos his angles are way off. I want the guy to succeed, but he ain't making it easy. 

There's more I want to add, but it's depressing going over the game in my head. I probably should have just left it at "very disappointing".

The line improved when Scherff went out because we started calling more quick hitters. Which is what we should have been doing anyways.

There’s no way I’d say we need to keep Scherff this offseason. So I hope Wes is the guy... if he’s not we’re making a weak unit weaker.

I’d be fine taking a franchise level QB in this year’s draft should Haskins continue down the path he’s on. Problem is, if we don’t improve the offensive line I’m not sure it matters. I watched a lot of football yesterday. I think our offensive line is the worst line I’ve seen right now. In fact, maybe in some time.

It got better with the quick hitters. It allowed them an advantage in the run game because the D was stuck between pass drops and run stopping. So it let them get angles. But it was still not great. 

As far as offseason upgrades I think middle linebacker has to be on the list. But I don’t think we need crazy resources there. We just need a guy who likes to thump, can play downhill and isn’t a total liability in coverage. That can be had in the second and third round (and sometimes later). Probably could be rectified in free agency.

Offensive line we need significant resources. 

I’m not sold on Lawrence as a generational guy, but I think he’s going to be a very good NFL QB. But I still think he winds up with the Jets. 

If we finish poorly and land a top 3 pick, I’m going to say it again, I’m taking Penei Sewell. That or I’m trading back a few spots, getting more picks and take Fields or Lance and then going OT with the next pick. 

The wild card is Charles. There’s a possibility he can be our LT or LG moving forward. But there’s also the possibility that he’s one of those injury prone guys that just can’t get going. 

We will absolutely need a new LT, LG, RG next year. Roullier may get passed by Ismael... or maybe he can play guard and Ismael starts at center. He’s going to need a contract. 

Free safety is an absolute need that requires a lot of resources as well. We’ve experimented long enough there. Bubba Bolden is on my radar. He can play both safety roles. But there are question marks about his coverage at times. Will see how he improves through the season, but this guy doesn’t miss many tackles. Jevon Holland from Oregon is a great prospect. 

Landon Collins isn’t good when he was to play backwards. He’s much better moving forward. We need a guy that can play center field and keep Collins up towards the box as much as possible. 

And of course, we need a #2 receiver. 

Could use an upgrade at TE, and there may be good ones in the third/fourth round. 

That was a disappointing loss for sure, but I don't think we're a top 3 drafting team TBH. Our defense will keep us in enough games for Haskins to win us at least 6 IMO.

We definitely need to aggressively address the base on offense, like we have on defense and build the Line and TE. 

I can't believe anyone would even mention drafting a QB early until we build up the Oline and TE. 

Also, enough of Inman. If we are just seeing what we have, get that guy out of there and play Wright (especially on returns) and Cam Sims.

Gibson is going to be unstoppable when he can stop getting hit in the backfield. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I can't believe anyone would even mention drafting a QB early until we build up the Oline and TE. 

You must be new here. 

I'm not high on Haskins myself but the dude needs some time, had anyone been paying attention during the draft it was widely said that he wasn't a finished product just yet.  I'm not sure why people want to write him off just yet. Well, actually, I do know why...it's because people here are just used to QB controversy since there's been QB controversy for so long.  QB controversy is all they know, it's all they want to do.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You must be new here. 

I'm not high on Haskins myself but the dude needs some time, had anyone been paying attention during the draft it was widely said that he wasn't a finished product just yet.  I'm not sure why people want to write him off just yet. Well, actually, I do know why...it's because people here are just used to QB controversy since there's been QB controversy for so long.  QB controversy is all they know, it's all they want to do.

It's so exhausting. The game day thread was full of people calling for Allen to come in and hopeful for Alex Smiths return. I'm assuming they're the same folks who were furious about a boring offense on a 6-2 Smith led team not long ago.

The only way I’d be on board with drafting any QB prospect over Sewell is if we address the line significantly in FA. Haven’t looked at potential free agents there yet. 

But OL needs to be a major priority.

I don’t see 6 wins for this team in its current iteration. I think it’s a top 10 draft pick. Worst scenario is we are just good enough that Sewell, Fields, Lance, Parsons, Moses and Lawrence are all off the board. 

Puts us in a place where Cosmi/Munford/Leatherwood are the top OL. I know some here don’t love Leatherwood, but I think he’s got a lot of potential. I will have to watch more from him this year for sure, but as of now he’s my second rated tackle. Cosmi third. 

Surtain would be tempting if those names are all off the board, if we’ve addressed tackle already in the offseason then maybe. But if we haven’t, I’d trade back to get one of the tackles I listed above and get some extra, and much needed, draft resources. 

RE: People impatient with Haskins: He hasn’t shown that he has it. There are two ways a QB can make a poor OL look decent... 1) Command of protection schemes and adjustments based on defensive tendencies/looks... I haven’t seen Haskins audible much, maybe the coaches don’t want him to, but I’m guessing he hasn’t shown the ability to or they’d be okay with it.

2) A guy who can move the pocket horizontally and create space and give his receivers time.

He’s not that, either.

For positives: he is fairly safe with the ball. That is important if your defensive is a turnover generating machine and you have a run game. 

I think we’ve seen enough to know he isn’t a franchise level stud. But I don’t think we’ve seen enough to say if he can be a good NFL QB. But I’m not sure that if he turns into one it’ll be in DC. Circumstances aren’t favorable for him given his first two years. 

We do need to give him as much evaluation time as possible this year to make the best decision for the long and short term for this team in terms of draft resources and FA resources. So saying he can’t be a good QB now is a fair prediction, but it’s not a complete evaluation of him. We need to be sure. 

Dak is not a top 10 QB and if he showed up on the WFT, he'd never led the team to the playoffs. They drafted him onto an offense with a solid Oline and great TE, put a RB and WRs around him and had a training wheels offense that lived off the 5 yard quick pass. Now He's grown into a solid starting QB able to lead his team to a lot of wins. 

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dak is not a top 10 QB and if he showed up on the WFT, he'd never led the team to the playoffs. They drafted him onto an offense with a solid Oline and great TE, put a RB and WRs around him and had a training wheels offense that lived off the 5 yard quick pass. Now He's grown into a solid starting QB able to lead his team to a lot of wins. 

Dak has always looked the part more than Haskins thus far. 

But, Haskins needs to be evaluated for a full season. 

People are going to laugh, but I’m interested in what happens with the Dak contract in Dallas. There’s potential, if Haskins doesn’t show improvement, that he could be the QB of the WFT. Not sure how I’d feel about that one way or the other at this point. 

Just now, KDawg said:

Dak has always looked the part more than Haskins thus far. 

But, Haskins needs to be evaluated for a full season. 

People are going to laugh, but I’m interested in what happens with the Dak contract in Dallas. There’s potential, if Haskins doesn’t show improvement, that he could be the QB of the WFT. Not sure how I’d feel about that one way or the other at this point. 

Glossed right over my point. Dak stepped into an environment that was ready to groom a rookie QB. Some of us have been screaming for a TE high in the draft for 5 years, because we knew the young QB was coming. 

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Glossed right over my point. Dak stepped into an environment that was ready to groom a rookie QB. Some of us have been screaming for a TE high in the draft for 5 years, because we knew the young QB was coming. 

I didn’t gloss over it. 

That damage is done. Which is why it can’t be repeated. And why I keep harping on OL being the single largest priority. 

Haskins is playing like Ramsey and Campbell. Uncertainty and anxiousness due to a tremendous lack of protection. 

Tight end will NOT fix the issue with this team. If we can get one in the process of fixing the line, I agree, a good tight end makes a difference. If we can’t, then priority is to the OL. 

The two turnovers were costly and had they not happened, it could've turned the complexion of the game. That said, the offense lacks weapons and Haskins has struggled a bit in the first two games. In his defense, he is playing in a new system with minimal weapons and it is said that a QB starts to flourish in his second season in an offensive system. With that in mind, Haskins, in a lot of ways, could still be viewed as a rookie to an extent.

The D wasn't horrible and aside from the meaningless FG Arizona got in the last 25 seconds, the defense only gave up 7 second half points. As for Rivera not using the final two timeouts, I feel that Arizona surprised everyone by not taking their foot off the accelerator after we made it 27-15. I think everyone was expecting Arizona to come out and run the ball to eat clock. Once they had several big plays to move into FG range quickly, it became a lost cause and Rivera realized that our D was out of gas and to call it a day. Not saying i necessarily agree with him, but I can see why he did it. Our D was so gassed that calling TO's at that point were going to help Arizona more than us. They were still going full bore, were still trying to score and we clearly could not stop them at that point. I don't see it as Rivera quitting. One word that doesn't come to my mind with Rivera is quit.

Arizona is a very good team and they are likely strong players in the NFC West- clearly the best division in the NFL. I thought we fought hard until we just ran out of steam and certainly don't see any shame in losing to them on their field. Hopefully, we learn from the mistakes and now that we realize we"re not going 16-0 can continue to improve as the season moves along. I expect us to bounce back with a strong game against Cleveland next week and am looking forward to the game.   

I am up and down about Haskins, right now i am down on him some.  But its changed for me as to my opinion about him back and forth over time.  I wasn't a Haskins guy before the draft.   Like all of us, I am rooting for him to be the guy.  It would be as lot easier as to the rebuild if he were.  

Having said that, if Haskins isn't the guy and lets say you love Lawrence, Lance, Fields or whomever and they land at your pick, take the dude.  It's not easy to find a QB -- this team has put on a 20 year clinic in making that point.  And yes we've had good O lines (see the Gibbs 2 years) and bad QB play, too at the same time.  Both QB and the O line might need to be fixed.  But its typically easier to fix the O line if you focus at it then it is QB.   Heck when was the last time we even dedicated a 2nd rounder or above to the O line?  We'd have to go back to Scherff and then Trent.  

We could go QB, and then O line with the 2nd and both third rounders and use FA.    And I love Sewell but if lets say they think Fields is another Kyler Murray type then you got to take him IMO.

As for this team, I really don't know.  I said after game 1 and before the season this is a 6-10 team.  They looked worse than that against Arizona.  I didn't think we matched up well against Arizona partly because they have a distinctly better QB and weapons.  I do think we match up well versus the Browns.  So if we play well or poorly against them that will dictate my thoughts for the rest of the season.  If we get smoked by the Browns, I think this could be a 4-12 type of team.  If we beat them am back on 6-10.  Burrow put up some serious points and yards against the Browns. 

I’d be onboard with Dak. The guy has not hit his prime yet. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am up and down about Haskins, right now i am down on him some.  But its changed for me as to my opinion about him back and forth over time.  I wasn't a Haskins guy before the draft.   Like all of us, I am rooting for him to be the guy.  It would be as lot easier as to the rebuild if he were.  

Having said that, if Haskins isn't the guy and lets say you love Lawrence, Lance, Fields or whomever and they land at your pick, take the dude.  It's not easy to find a QB -- this team has put on a 20 year clinic in making that point.  And yes we've had good O lines (see the Gibbs 2 years) and bad QB play, too at the same time.  Both QB and the O line might need to be fixed.  But its typically easier to fix the O line if you focus at it then it is QB.   Heck when was the last time we even dedicated a 2nd rounder or above to the O line?  We'd have to go back to Scherff and then Trent.  

We could go QB, and then O line with the 2nd and both third rounders and use FA.    And I love Sewell but if lets say they think Fields is another Kyler Murray type then you got to take him IMO.

As for this team, I really don't know.  I said after game 1 and before the season this is a 6-10 team.  They looked worse than that against Arizona.  I didn't think we matched up well against Arizona partly because they have a distinctly better QB and weapons.  I do think we match up well versus the Browns.  So if we play well or poorly against them that will dictate my thoughts for the rest of the season.  If we get smoked by the Browns, I think this could be a 4-12 type of team.  If we beat them am back on 6-10.  Burrow put up some serious points and yards against the Browns. 

The NFL has never been as deep at QB as it is now. If Dak is available, go get him. If not, bring in legit competition like Brissett or Jameis on a 1/2 year deal

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I didn’t gloss over it. 

That damage is done. Which is why it can’t be repeated. And why I keep harping on OL being the single largest priority. 

Haskins is playing like Ramsey and Campbell. Uncertainty and anxiousness due to a tremendous lack of protection. 

Tight end will NOT fix the issue with this team. If we can get one in the process of fixing the line, I agree, a good tight end makes a difference. If we can’t, then priority is to the OL. 

TE and Oline are equally an issue. I'm not saying that a TE who can help block and make the tough catches as an outlet will fix the Oline. I'm saying it's a major Cog.

I don't remember any QB looking this bad in his second year and ever becoming a franchise QB. This isn't 1980, QBs come in and play right away now and you learn early on what you have.  At some point the poor protection and "he's young" are no longer valid reasons for his poor play.  He can't hit what he is throwing at and this has always been my main issue with Dwayne Haskins.  Then we have terrible pocket presence and indecision.  Then there are the little things that sends up red flags. Taking a selfy when the game is not over, smiling yesterday at the end of an embarrassing performance. Nothing in him shows me Franchise Quarterback and if things don't change dramatically it would be foolish to continue down this road.  Teams never seem to know when to cut bait and hang on to young QBs hoping for a change far too often. 

If they have a chance to take a top QB in the draft you take it.  Arizona had a horrible OL but they knew that you can fix that easier than you can find a franchise QB, something this team has been searching for since Joe Theisman.    

Haskins may surprise people eventually, who knows, but going by your gut feeling and the eye test, do you really see a legitimate NFL QB? Someone that makes you feel confident THIS is the guy who can lead us to victory/playoffs/superbowl? I sure as hell don't. If he isn't any of those, why even keep him around. It's a struggle for this guy to get 200 yards passing in a league that airs it out more than ever. He is great on Instagram but not on the football field, at least not yet. Not sure if he ever will be. In today's NFL, your QB has to either be mobile, accurate, or have heightened awareness. When you have none of these attributes, then your team is in trouble and that is where we are right now. 

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't remember any QB looking this bad in his second year and ever becoming a franchise QB.

Drew Brees

Eli Manning

Ben Rothliesberger threw 23 INTs his third year in the league, and eclipsed 20 TDs for the 1st time in his 4th year.

And, Haskins doesn't even have a full season of starts under his belt yet. He need more patience and time, something fans want to scream about for the organization to demonstrate, but don't want to exhibit themselves.

1 hour ago, method man said:

I’d be onboard with Dak. The guy has not hit his prime yet. 

The NFL has never been as deep at QB as it is now. If Dak is available, go get him. If not, bring in legit competition like Brissett or Jameis on a 1/2 year deal

We are jumping ahead but playing along if I can get a QB in the draft that I believe in, I'd do that over paying Dak 40 million a year.  I doubt though Dak makes FA.  Jameis has arguably been a bust, so I wouldn't chase him. 

I think where people are getting ahead of themselves is that this is Haskins tryout year. He’s going to get, at least, most of the season to show the franchise what he has. 

Like I’ve said, I don’t think he is a franchise level quarterback in the NFL. I think we’ve at the very least learned that. He’s Derek Carr, but less polished, at the moment. And that may be where he is. Or he may turn into Andy Dalton. 

Right now I don’t see much higher. But we have weeks and weeks to watch to confirm that opinion. 

I’d be dumb to sit here and say, “no, this is my final opinion” when he’s going to play more football this year. 

But... I don’t think he rises to the level people want.

Part of that? Is on the Washington franchise. Picking him with a lame duck coach and GM. Not moving on from those guys earlier...

The lame duck coach for not really trying (but, hard to blame him there).

Haskins himself for his attitude at the start.

Personnel problems.

We’ve seen QBs struggle in their first few seasons and turn it around... but they all had an aura about them and the people surrounding them undoubtedly believed in them. Fanbases, for the most part, embraced them.

The damage here may already be done and too late for him to succeed here. If he doesn’t make meaningful strides by the end of the season, it may be time to move forward. 

If he does, things change.

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think where people are getting ahead of themselves is that this is Haskins tryout year. He’s going to get, at least, most of the season to show the franchise what he has. 

Like I’ve said, I don’t think he is a franchise level quarterback in the NFL. I think we’ve at the very least learned that. He’s Derek Carr, but less polished, at the moment. And that may be where he is. Or he may turn into Andy Dalton. 

Right now I don’t see much higher. But we have weeks and weeks to watch to confirm that opinion. 

I’d be dumb to sit here and say, “no, this is my final opinion” when he’s going to play more football this year. 

But... I don’t think he rises to the level people want.

Part of that? Is on the Washington franchise. Picking him with a lame duck coach and GM. Not moving on from those guys earlier...

The lame duck coach for not really trying (but, hard to blame him there).

Haskins himself for his attitude at the start.

Personnel problems.

We’ve seen QBs struggle in their first few seasons and turn it around... but they all had an aura about them and the people surrounding them undoubtedly believed in them. Fanbases, for the most part, embraced them.

The damage here may already be done and too late for him to succeed here. If he doesn’t make meaningful strides by the end of the season, it may be time to move forward. 

If he does, things change.

I think the Jay part of Haskins has been a bit overplayed.  I've heard beat guys say multiple times that Kyle Smith didn't see Haskins as a first rounder and neither did multiple scouts in that building.  Obviously the owner, loved him.  I think it was Keim if I recall who said Dan would tell people during the college season that Haskins was the best player in college.  And we all know Dan has somewhat the reverse midas touch as to Qbs.  I thought Dan was due to get one right.  And he still might as to Haskins, will see. 

My point is if Haskins doesn't pan out this season it might test the waters some as to Dan versus the FO.  I don't know where Rivera is on this but he openly is supportive of Haskins as he should be.

My gut on Haskins is similar to yours.  I was feeling better about him this off season.  But circiling back to the beat guys more or less saying that Haskins' attitude is what changed night and day from last year but as for how he looked in practice that wasn't always that hot but he's a better leader, etc.  That to me translates to they weren't impressed with Haskins in practice.  And thus far that has continued into the season.

I agree we need to give Haskins the season.  I agree that the verdict isn't in.    But I'd love to see some flashes that this guy is the dude.  And IMO we haven't seen that other than 2 games last season playing against arguably the two worst secondaries in the league.   For me what's stuck in my mind is how unimpressive Haskins looked to my layman eyes when I watched a bunch of practices last year.  And it was the same stuff that followed him to this season.  Poor touch.  Not much arc on the ball.  Poor accuracy on the move.  Poor accuracy throwing to the sides -- by the numbers or beyond it. 

You can see the arm strength and sneaky mobility and accuracy at times in between the numbers.  But overall, he didn't scream to me franchise QB.  But I've been wrong about QBs before.  And I hope I am wrong on this front. 

I watched Russell Wilson last night and the dude can make all types of throws. And he has touch.  To use a baseball analogy he knows when to add to the fastball, when to take something off, when to put some air under it and he can make all throws.  Haskins right now to me doesn't come off like that. 

Good read but I think a lot of this is obvious.  Until we get this stuff straightened out, it's hard to know what we really have other than a very young, inexperienced team that lacks talent in certain key positions, including our offensive coordinator!

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/brian-mitchell-washingtons-struggles-vs-arizona-lot-more-just-dwayne

Brian Mitchell: Washington's struggles vs. Arizona a lot more than just Dwayne Haskins

Sunday afternoon's game in Arizona is one Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins will likely want to forget soon.

While his final stat line (19-33, 233 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT) doesn't look bad by any means, the second-year passer struggled to get Washington's offense into much of a rhythm before the team went down double-digits. Additionally, Washington was held scoreless for the first two and a half quarters, and Haskins squandered the team's lone red zone opportunity in the first half by fumbling.

Of course, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Haskins wasn't great by any means, but as NBC Sports Washington's Brian Mitchell said on Washington Football Postgame Live, blaming the struggles solely on the quarterback is simply not fair or accurate.

"This team is not very good right now," Mitchell said.

"I know it's very [cliché] to say [it's] Dwayne Haskins' [fault], he's the quarterback in D.C.," Mitchell continued. "But when your offense is not picking up the blitz, picking up stunts, they can't block people consistently, the quarterback will miss high, he will miss low, he'll do some things he wouldn't ordinarily do. Quarterbacks that have been in the league for 5-10 years, they do the same thing. We're expecting a young quarterback to do everything right."

For starters, Mitchell immediately pointed out the Burgundy and Gold's offensive line struggles, calling out Brandon Scherff. The right guard is a captain for Washington, a three-time Pro Bowler who is hoping for a lucrative contract in the offseason. Scherff was forced to leave early on Sunday, but his play before he departed the game is not one he will look back on fondly.

"The offensive line is horrible. Let's be real," Mitchell said. "Scherff, we talk a lot about him, we praise him. But Scherff was getting beat like a drum before he got hurt."

Mitchell also questioned whether Haskins has enough talent on the outside to help him out. Outside of second-year wide receiver Terry McLaurin -- who shined with seven catches for 125 yards, including a 25-yard touchdown where he outran the entire Arizona secondary -- the Burgundy and Gold have no one who Haskins can fully trust and count on.

"Ron Rivera says it over and over again: when a play goes wrong, we can't automatically look at the quarterback," Mitchell said. "He talks about the receivers being in the wrong spot. We saw earlier in the game, Terry McLaurin was sitting there, and guess what? Steven Sims ran across and the ball bounced up into the air. Is that Dwayne Haskins' fault it's incomplete?"

That play was just one example Mitchell gave. Then, he continued.

"We saw many times [Haskins] was going to step [up in the pocket] and he's pressured," Mitchell said. "I will tell you upfront that Dwayne did not play a great game. But when you come out immediately and start talking about the quarterback, it makes everyone think the quarterback is awful, or the quarterback is the reason for something going on, and I think that's the farthest thing from the truth. That offensive line, they're not having much success."

After a Week 1 victory over the Eagles, expectations for Washington skyrocketed. Sure, no one was pegging them as Super Bowl contenders, but many wondered just how far their defense -- which had eight sacks in the Week 1 win -- could take them.

Sunday's game against Arizona, an up-and-coming team with their own young star quarterback, served as a bit of a reality check. Washington still has a ways to go before they're a legit contender.

"I think what we're doing is as media and as fans is, were judging a football team on what we expect them to be today," Mitchell said. "They are not what they'll be in three, four, five years. They're gonna get there. But right now, I judge things for what they are in the moment, not what I want them to be."

This season is going to be a roller coaster and the 1st 2 next day threads show that.

Everyone knew the Offense needs a ton of help.  Need OL a TE more WR help.  As for Haskins i'm not sure how to evaluate him.  The weird camp and preseason with no games is tough.  I think the no preseason games is messing with Turners game planning some.  He didn't get a chance to see the offense and what he has and how the pieces work.  Its a new offense for Haskins and hes still young with a ****ty line.  I don't like those excuses but right now the situation is a mess and will take time to figure out what they have and if he is a keeper.

Secondary help is needed but the d looks decent and definitely have pieces in place to build around.

this team maybe mediocre to bad but this is going to be a fun season to watch and the hope for the future is real with this staff.

Archived