Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Eagles

Just now, KDawg said:

We can point to the backs. We can point to the play calling at times...

But the offensive problems boil down to the line.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would want to spend a 1 anywhere but there (unless no top tier prospects are there and options are limited.

No doubt, I've said so (among others) on the draft thread even before yesterday.  The O line is the code red position.

I do think Rivera is a major upgrade over Jay and probably Shanny, too.  I do think it's ironic that the Jags and Redskins were the early picks for the worst teams in the NFL and both won.   Too bad there is no collusion course for a Jax-Washington match this season. 😀

Jay Gruden schemes guys open. He has a good offensive scheme. He is not a head coach.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt, I've said so (among others) on the draft thread even before yesterday.  The O line is the code red position.

I do think Rivera is a major upgrade over Jay and probably Shanny, too.  I do think it's ironic that the Jags and Redskins were the early picks for the worst teams in the NFL and both won.   Too bad there is no collusion course for a Jax-Washington match this season. 😀

I love that you mistyped that and put collusion course.

Also, OL, LB and secondary are our weak spots. We have playmakers in the secondary, so while they are going to get trashed sometimes, they’ll also make some plays and as Steve said, they are good in run support. 

I really believe our LBs and OL leave a ton to be desired. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Jay Gruden schemes guys open. He has a good offensive scheme. He is not a head coach.

Agree.  He's a good play designer.  Not hot with managing the run game.   As head coach, "meh".    I think part of it with some coordinators translating to being a head coach isn't just that they don't have the leadership skills but also don't put in the time.  Jay had a little bit of that rep from some who knew him.   Much easier I presume to manage one part of the team than run a whole team.  My issue with Shanny was he fancies himself an offensive and defensive guru whereas I don't think that's true but he does know offense for sure.  

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I love that you mistyped that and put collusion course.

LOL, yeah collusion not so much.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Also, OL, LB and secondary are our weak spots. We have playmakers in the secondary, so while they are going to get trashed sometimes, they’ll also make some plays and as Steve said, they are good in run support. 

I really believe our LBs and OL leave a ton to be desired. 

I didn't really pay much attention to the LBs yesterday but on paper we got no one special on that front.  

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I watched Chase virtually the entire game and I'm not sure why so many say he was impactful.  His edge in college was his quick start off the snap, it appeared after his off sides he became hesitant. Other than that partial sack at the end I just didn't see him do as much as others and again I watched him all game.

The game appeared to change once Kerrigan replaced Chase and made plays immediately.

I'm not sure how much of that is Eagles play calling.  It felt like the eagles tried to keep chase out of the way, running away from him and so forth.  A lot of the passes were out quick too, Wentz early on seemed content to through it underneath to Ertz or the other TE.  

I do agree that Kerrigan had juice when he came in.

A pleasure to watch a well coached defense make adjustments after getting beat down and winning the game for us. Haskins did enough, but needs to get better and I believe he will, as he made some bad decisions and missed some open guys. It's just one game, but there's reason for high hope for this team. We have a real leader of men in Rivera and a top tier DC in Del Rio. The clowns that were in charge are gone and that makes all the difference in the world.

One more thing; I can absolutely buy into the Washington Football Team as the permanent name. It's classic and actually kind of bad ass! New era in DC and I'm liking what they're doing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get it that everyone is juiced after a win in the opener and overflowing with opinions and tea leaf reading but it would help to take a breath. More new than not, no preseason games, a world of other distracting BS thanks to TheDan&Co, etc., etc.

It's just one step. A good step, but still just one.

Hubris and arrogance and injuries on Philly's side dealt us some good cards, Ron&Co played their hand well. That won't be happening against the Cards. Late in the game you could see it in Wentz's eyes, he was flinching, gunshy, ready to get sacked for a ninth time, the thought in the back of his head about his legs again, that's what an aggressive attacking D does and they did.

Kudos

That alone won't get us to .500 this year.

Just like in camp or the preseason, it is easier to get the D going than the O side of the ball and that showed from a team that is way more new than not so I am loathe to start make any pronouncements about the state of the team. I did see some good stuff, very good stuff, and over the course of the game the secondary started working and communicating better. The coaching was lightyears beyond what we have settled for in years past but we won't see Rivera or DelRio suiting up to play LB. Getting an Oline to gel takes time and work, they are the most choregraphed part of the team and after losing Trent and hearing the nonstop torrent of criticism I am not shocked that they didn't rise up and crush Philly. 

We're a work in progress and the work has really just started. If we stand at 4-4 by midseason I will be pleasantly surprised but until about Halloween I'm not going to start fitting anyone for the ejection seat. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, -JB- said:

@Darrell Green Fan How is 1.5 strip sacks not impactful?  You bring in the guy to be a big time playmaker.  Getting strip sacks is huge.  One we recovered, one we didn’t.  The guy is legit.

Yeah I was surprised that he was credited with 1.5 sacks.  I'm not piling on, love the guy and the entire DL was great against a crippled opponent. But again I watched him exclusively and it's not like he was dominating and getting close to Wentz all game long.  So I'm surprised to see so many positive comments about Chase after that game, that's all I'm saying.  

@LD0506

I don’t see anyone really getting too overly optimistic here...

18 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I was surprised that he was credited with 1.5 sacks.  I'm not piling on, love the guy and the entire DL was great against a crippled opponent. But again I watched him exclusively and it's not like he was dominating and getting close to Wentz all game long.  So I'm surprised to see so many positive comments about Chase after that game, that's all I'm saying.  

He hit Wentz and helped cause the one play where they said Wentz was throwing... He sack/stripped Wentz. He had him in the backfield once, Wentz slipped right into 2 other defensive linemen for the sack. 

In the NFL he’s not going to look like the Chase Young in college. He had rookie moments. The offsides were big ones. Welcome to the big leagues, rook. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

@LD0506

I was referring more to other places such as Twitter. I kept reading "Chase is legit" etc and while he played well several others, including RK when he replaced Chase, played as well or better.

But I'm not spending a glorious First Place Monday arguing Chase Young, he will be great I have no doubt about that.  

On 9/14/2020 at 7:55 AM, KDawg said:

@LD0506

Not directed at you, more a launching point. Also, this is somewhat tongue in cheek - not meant to be as caustic as it may read. But the points are there. We are after all still family - even if we have no name. 

Yea, why should we actually enjoy a win in Washington!!  We have won so much that we need to be reminded how much it can turn in an instant. Really? I mean WTF (or is it WFT now :-). It's like some believe none of us have been here for 50+ years watching this team, especially the last 20+ yrs under snyder - the biggest dumpster fire in sports. 

Of course it's just one game. That's why we are 1-0 not 16-0. But good grief let's take some time to enjoy this. We have endured so much misery over the last 20+ yrs including a mostly dumpster fire offseason outside a few very notable positives, that you are damn right I am going to enjoy this game! And enjoy it a lot!!  Does that mean I see us in the SB this yr? Next? the year after that? Of course not so please save the - easy now it's just one game stuff. No one, or at least very few (no one here I have seen so far) is hitting the we are great button. 

Now to the negative nancys - what exactly were you expecting after an off season with 0 preseason and mostly online classes and practice with very little contact or time to install a new offense, defense and yes and entirely new culture. That **** does not turn to gold in a few months of a ****ed up offseason. This takes time to develop and cultivate. 

Sorry Haskins was not Tom Brady, Joe Montana, and Sammy Baugh all rolled into one for game one of a new HC and off. He looked predictably out of sync with his receivers early. Had some adrenalin he had to overcome and overthrow some wide open guys. But he did not turn the ball over (lucky or not). And he mostly settled down and made some good throws when he needed and most of all never quit. He kept an even keel and just kept working. True lunch pail kind of day when he could have folded the tent. This is more what I was looking for. The rest is coachable. He has the talent. He has the arm. Is he for sure the long term answer? Of course we don't know yet. But I really like his progression over his time here. 

And yesterday showed something we have really not seen - adjustments!!  The team made adjustments! Both on off but mostly of Def!! Wow, actual real time live adjustments! And they paid off. 

Back to the beginning - this doesn't mean we don;t have holes to fill. Oline looks pretty bad - but in fairness it takes time to jel as a an oline. I still have hope there (although watching both guards get ragdolled backwards several times makes you a bit squeamish). But remember beaten up or not, that is still a very good philly dline - one of the best in the league. Never heard Fletcher Cox name - first time I can remember that for years. 

The entire team never quit - something it's been along time since we have seen on any kind of consistent basis - certain not on opening day. 

So c'mon, loosen up and enjoy the win for what it is! A season opening come from behind win against a division rival and sign of pretty decent potential down the road! I like the direction. Let's keep it going and get a little better each day. We may end up with a winner in the near future.  

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Veretax said:

I'm not sure how much of that is Eagles play calling.  It felt like the eagles tried to keep chase out of the way, running away from him and so forth.  A lot of the passes were out quick too, Wentz early on seemed content to through it underneath to Ertz or the other TE.  

I do agree that Kerrigan had juice when he came in.

This should be a theme the entire season with the d-line, rotating in fresh guys all game long and beating down the opposing 0-line. As I watched the game yesterday you could see it happening. We go 7-8 deep.....that's huge.

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This thread specifically? At the moment? Yeah, you're right, but across the board and the whole fanverse? Ehhh.........

And I get it, people are starved for it, for football and games that count and a win (any win) and a div opponent, etc., and this morning I too may have to call the doctor if it lasts more than four hours but mostly echoing the input of the more learned ones here that this was just a start. A good start, an unexpected start but still just a start.

I swear I was ready to despair when I saw the blurb about us being one game away from a franchise losing record for the first time since '75 with TheDan in the background. That so encapsulates my feelings towards him, he has squandered everything that we have watched our whole lives. The Gibbs years, every play from Theismann or Monte Coleman or Darrell Green or Art Monk, all of it has been wasted by a guy too arrogant to admit that he doesn't have a clue. 

A lot of my cautionary commentary is directed at myself

I think Chase was pretty damn good yesterday.  Had some run stops, also ran down their running back too, which was a nice play.  As noted above, he's not going to look like he was in college but teams will have to account for him and he will make lives easier for Kerrigan, Allen, Sweat, Payne, Ioan and others.  

Steven Sims has gone unmentioned in here and he makes me nervous.  Fumbled a punt yesterday, but also had a big catch down near the goal line on one of the scoring drives.  He looks great at some moments, but I still think his hands are suspect.  

Gibson looked pretty good for a rookie RB with not much experience at the position.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he and Love can do.  

The offense sure wasn't pretty yesterday but it got the job done, I think they did a good job of taking what the Eagles defense gave them.  And for not having pre season games to tune up with, I don't think you could have asked for much more.  Sure, they didn't roll up massive yard totals and dominate but they took care of the ball and were able to capitalize on the turnovers the defense gave them.  Haskins had some shaky, questionable throws but was great in the 2nd half.  I also don't think they had any false starts which is fantastic considering Morgan Moses was playing.   The offense wasn't sexy but I'll take 27 points and no turnovers every week.  

Huge test next week, Kyler Murray was solid last year and based off what he did yesterday he looks like he might be making the leap.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Too bad there is no collusion course for a Jax-Washington match this season.

I think you've been spending too much time in the political threads in the Tailgate :)

Jay is what he is--a good o-coordinator, like Turner, like Wade Phillips on the defensive side--but not a head coach. As much as we give Rivera credit--and we should--JDR called a hell of a game yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think Chase was pretty damn good yesterday.  Had some run stops, also ran down their running back too, which was a nice play.  As noted above, he's not going to look like he was in college but teams will have to account for him and he will make lives easier for Kerrigan, Allen, Sweat, Payne, Ioan and others.  

Steven Sims has gone unmentioned in here and he makes me nervous.  Fumbled a punt yesterday, but also had a big catch down near the goal line on one of the scoring drives.  He looks great at some moments, but I still think his hands are suspect.  

Gibson looked pretty good for a rookie RB with not much experience at the position.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he and Love can do.  

The offense sure wasn't pretty yesterday but it got the job done, I think they did a good job of taking what the Eagles defense gave them.  And for not having pre season games to tune up with, I don't think you could have asked for much more.  Sure, they didn't roll up massive yard totals and dominate but they took care of the ball and were able to capitalize on the turnovers the defense gave them.  Haskins had some shaky, questionable throws but was great in the 2nd half.  I also don't think they had any false starts which is fantastic considering Morgan Moses was playing.   The offense wasn't sexy but I'll take 27 points and no turnovers every week.  

Huge test next week, Kyler Murray was solid last year and based off what he did yesterday he looks like he might be making the leap.  

Good stuff here man...2 words for ya.. a real coaching staff...god it's been to long.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was referring more to other places such as Twitter. I kept reading "Chase is legit" etc and while he played well several others, including RK when he replaced Chase, played as well or better.

The all-time team sack leader vs a rookie who played his first ever game with zero preseason? I’d say Chase earned the praise he received, especially after doing what he did despite his mistakes. He didn’t get mired in them and actually had impact, not just Cousins-like meaningless stats.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

When you strip the QB it’s automatically a sack/FF.  The second strip sack he hit Wentz at the same time I believe Ioannidis did and the ball came loose so he got credited with half sack/FF.  Those are huge plays!  The Redskins had lacked pass rushers with premier playmaking skills for years.  He’s going to open things up big time for this DL.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add Gibson had some flashes. 

Haskins was up and down but it's a new offense, I'll give him time.   And I applaud him for no INTs. 

The O line at times looked overwhelmed.  I'd have to rewatch to see the culprits.  I admit i am predisposed to think Geron Christian isn't the answer at LT.

Landon Collins looked really good.

D line as advertised

I am not one of the rabid Jay haters on the board, never loved him as a coach, never hated him.  I just thought every HC here is at a disadvantage with Bruce-Dan at the helm.  I still feel that way.   Yet, I was big on wanting Rivera once I digested him in the lead up for the coaching search.  He's a real leader, smart dude, all class.  Jay to me is a nice guy but not really a leader.   Rivera said when things look in peril you don't want to show that to your team, you want to 

look calm and not panicked.  With Jay, you could see the angst and despair on his face when the chips were down.   I recall the Giants game well in the 2016 season's last game when they were eliminated and you could see the shock of it all over Jay's face over the course of the game.  I commented about it at the time.  Yet, to me Bruce was the #1 issue by a mile as for the team's dysfunction IMO not Jay.  Having said that, Rivera, Jason Wright, Kyle Smith I'd take by a mile over the predecessors. 

The D line IMO has been missing one key cog and that was a dominant pass rusher.  I liked Kerrigan more than most on the board.  I also like Sweat.  But I don't think either dude is a dominant pass rusher type that you have to game plan for.  I thought it was telling that some analytics guy showed that last year Ioannidis was the dude doubled the most.  I bet that changes this year.  Young to me is the key domino.  And in game 1 he looked like the same type of difference maker that Bosa was.

I am wondering some about the RB.  Barber had if I recall one of the worst YPAs in the NFL last year.  And Peterson today had a Peterson kind of game.  So I am not down on the RBs after one game but I admit I pause a little today about letting Peterson go.  I get the McKissic-Gibson hybrid offense idea.  But I wonder if Barber as a short yard type is really better than Peterson?