Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Eagles

Early today... Felt inspired. Typed during the game. 

Overall Impressions:

I have been saying, all off season, that our linebackers, secondary and OL were suspect and the key to this team's success was on the playmaking ability of the units. That absolutely held true here. Moreau and Moreland are our top corners, not because they are the best skilled corners necessarily, but they are the ball hawking corners that can make a play.

Young and the DL are everything we'd want.

Our linebackers... I'm not sure they have any redeemable qualities. 

Defensively, there are more playmakers than the offense. But the offense is going to be reliant on McLaurin, Sims, Gibson and to an extent McKissick making plays. 

The Good:

-The Defensive Line. Anchored by rookie Chase Young. Young had a couple rookie moments with offsides and such, but the defensive line is as advertised.

-Playmakers in the secondary. This is Moreau and Moreland. These guys can make plays. They aren't perfect cover corners, they don't have the best feet, they aren't the most technically sound corners... But they can make plays. Given the lack of talent on the D outside of the defensive line, you need playmakers. A defense in the mold of the Gregg Williams Saints' Ds who were not great units but made plays. That's the defense's best hope. Pressure with that front and make plays behind them.

-Halftime Adjustments. We made adjustments at the half. The team, for the most part, adjusted to Philly and gave themselves a chance to win the game. 

-Defensive Playmaking. Yup.

-Tress Way.

-Ryan Kerrigan. He gets an individual shout out. I feel like I was correct in a lot of my opinions on this team this offseason... And I did think Kerrigan could still go... But he proved why he's still on this team, a captain, and a Washington lifer. Far beyond my expectations for him. I know I said the DL and Chase Young above, but Young made a few rookie mistakes and make no mistake about it... To be the man you have to beat the man. Kerrigan is still our crown jewel on the DL. New Washington Franchise sack leader.

-The ability to play with momentum. Once momentum built, they started rolling like a freight train. 

-This is a MUCH better football team despite glaring personnel issues in many places. 

-Honorable Mention, but not quite in the good category: Logan Thomas. People thought the TE situation was horrible. But Thomas played quite well. 

-Ron Rivera. I don't care if this team winds up 3-13 or 13-3. You can SEE the difference just by the fact this team came back from down 17, took the lead and held it. That's... new. Very new. 

-Dwayne Haskins. Tough to put a lot of the offensive issues on him. Good to bad pass ratio was ~2:1 in the bad, but give him 1:1 with how bad the protection is. Mechanically flaws showed in moments he couldn't have them. Accuracy issues arose. Made some plays with his legs and arm in big moments, though. So he's not good and not bad today. Impressed with him working with his teammates and talking to the D and letting them know they're balling. That's a big improvement for Haskins. I think he's going to be okay.  Clearly the reports this offseason were accurate. The guy made tremendous leaps. He doesn't really belong in the meh, but he made too many mistakes in big moments to be in the good. A glaring one was the double clutch sack fumble he took... he has to know he doesn't have time to double clutch with this OL. It's not his fault, persay, but that doesn't mean he can't be better. And... He didn't turn the ball over.

-Jack Del Rio. I touched on it with the adjustments category... But he adjusted his game plan, got Apke off the island, let his playmaking corners play outside and set his aggressive defense right at a battered Eagles offensive line and destroyed Wentz. Over and over again. 

The Meh:

-Scott Turner. Wow. He had some absolute great moments with play calls. And then he tried to continually run the ball up the gut. Love how he was aggressive in the right moments of the game to keep momentum with WFT. 

The Bad:

-The secondary in coverage was really disappointing. They weren't near the receivers on many occasions, and if it wasn't for the phenomenal pass rush  and the playmaking ability of Moreau and Moreland, would have been beat up worse. Leaving Apke on an island in the first half was a concern, that was remedied, however.

-The offensive line. This is the biggest bad of the day. They aren't good as a unit. Their inability to run block or pass block means this team has to live on roll outs, quick hitters, outside runs and misdirection. Deep throws and inside runs are almost off the table. That puts this team is a box which is dangerous. Really disappointing. 

-Hopkins missing that early field goal was painful. 

-Linebackers. They just didn't play downhill... Just like last year. Forced Del Rio to blitz in situations that evacuated zones and allowed the Eagles tight ends to get free. 

-The Lion King soundtrack on the Haskins keeper late in the 4th quarter. Please don't do that again.

Studs:

*** - Ryan Kerrigan - Franchise sack leader and spark plug. 

** - Chase Young - His impact, even as a rookie, was evident. He'd be 1, but Kerrigan gets lifetime achievement extra points.

* - Moreau/Moreland/Ioan  - Ioan deserves better, but... 

Duds:

:( - Secondary - Made up for it with solid individual efforts.

:(:( - Linebackers as a whole. Bostic had a nice sack and it was set up by a nice fake blitz, but that was the extent of the highlights.

:(:( :( - Offensive Line as a whole. Just not good. At all. 

Season Totals:

3 *s - Ryan Kerrigan

2 * - Chase Young

1 *- Fabian Moreau

1 *- Jimmy Moreland

1* - Matt Ioannidis

1 :( - Secondary as a whole.

2 :( - Linebackers as a whole.

3 :( - Offensive Line as a whole. 

Bottom Line:

This is a much better football team. Even with personnel questions, the players are better (aside from OL), the coaching is better and the organization is on the right track.

Don't be fooled, this team has a lot of weaknesses that we will see exposed throughout the year. But the plan and playmaking to overcome them is also evident. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Gibson didn't have a wow game, but for his first rookie snaps in the NFL and the jitters that come he did fine and even flashed once or twice. Imagine not having a single preseason rep and then getting the first carry on the first NFL snap of your career. It's hard to pull him out as a player that excelled, but I think he did fine for his first game ever.

• Like 1

Is it me or did Kamren Curl play really well when he had opportunities? If Apke continues to suck, maybe he can take over

On the OLine, given the depth you now have at tackle with the guy we got from the Raiders, why not slide Charles in to play LG? Given his shorter arms, he’s probably a better LG than LT anyway. 

• Like 3

The biggest worry for me going forward is the O-line because I don't know how you improve that unit in any significant way within the current season other than someone getting injured and the next man up becoming a stud unexpectedly. 

I really want to know if the swing was Jack Del Rio making adjustments in the coverages, or if the players themselves just woke up from the offseason rust and started doing their jobs better.

On offense, nothing blew me away, in fact I will even go as far to say their lack of having much at all in the terms of playmakers outside of Terry McLaurin and Gibson showing some flashes?  There was just nothing much to see. I am not even talking anything Haskins did or didn't do into account at the moment and just those around him. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

Yeah I was pretty despondent when we were down 17-0. "Here we go again", I thought.

Then Jack Del Rio took off his Greg Manusky mask, unzipped his leather jacket, lit a cig, and instructed his unit to slay that pathetic pack of soft ass rat birds.

It was magnificent.

• Like 8
  • Haha 13
48 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Offense greatly benefited from the Defense giving them a short field all day. I'm curious what our longest drive was today.

I'm just thankful they DID capitalize on the short fields. I feel as if too many times in the past, we'd get the ball on the 50 and end up punting 3 plays later from our own 45 lol...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

I'd add Gibson had some flashes. 

Haskins was up and down but it's a new offense, I'll give him time.   And I applaud him for no INTs. 

The O line at times looked overwhelmed.  I'd have to rewatch to see the culprits.  I admit i am predisposed to think Geron Christian isn't the answer at LT.

Landon Collins looked really good.

D line as advertised

I am not one of the rabid Jay haters on the board, never loved him as a coach, never hated him.  I just thought every HC here is at a disadvantage with Bruce-Dan at the helm.  I still feel that way.   Yet, I was big on wanting Rivera once I digested him in the lead up for the coaching search.  He's a real leader, smart dude, all class.  Jay to me is a nice guy but not really a leader.   Rivera said when things look in peril you don't want to show that to your team, you want to 

look calm and not panicked.  With Jay, you could see the angst and despair on his face when the chips were down.   I recall the Giants game well in the 2016 season's last game when they were eliminated and you could see the shock of it all over Jay's face over the course of the game.  I commented about it at the time.  Yet, to me Bruce was the #1 issue by a mile as for the team's dysfunction IMO not Jay.  Having said that, Rivera, Jason Wright, Kyle Smith I'd take by a mile over the predecessors. 

The D line IMO has been missing one key cog and that was a dominant pass rusher.  I liked Kerrigan more than most on the board.  I also like Sweat.  But I don't think either dude is a dominant pass rusher type that you have to game plan for.  I thought it was telling that some analytics guy showed that last year Ioannidis was the dude doubled the most.  I bet that changes this year.  Young to me is the key domino.  And in game 1 he looked like the same type of difference maker that Bosa was.

I am wondering some about the RB.  Barber had if I recall one of the worst YPAs in the NFL last year.  And Peterson today had a Peterson kind of game.  So I am not down on the RBs after one game but I admit I pause a little today about letting Peterson go.  I get the McKissic-Gibson hybrid offense idea.  But I wonder if Barber as a short yard type is really better than Peterson?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, method man said:

Is it me or did Kamren Curl play really well when he had opportunities? If Apke continues to suck, maybe he can take over

On the OLine, given the depth you now have at tackle with the guy we got from the Raiders, why not slide Charles in to play LG? Given his shorter arms, he’s probably a better LG than LT anyway. 

How did Apke suck? He was in on a bunch of plays near the line of scrimmage, was behind the defense and did a great job with over the top help, when they stopped leaving him on an island. The play with the TE was a designed play to hold him where he was and then go outside.

• Like 2

When it comes to the offense, there is plenty to critique after today's game.   Haskins was a very mixed bag.  I was somewhat fine with how he read defenses and mostly seemed to throw the ball to the right places against the coverage he saw on any given play.  His mechanics still need work, he is throwing across his lead leg/foot which is causing the ball to sail.  At first I thought it might have just been rust or opening day jitters, but after seeing some film online, it is definitely a mechanics issue.

With that said.....where are the playmakers on this offense to help a young inexperienced project QB?  Terry McLaurin, we know.  He is fine,  he will get his stats when all is said and done over the course of 16 games.  Gibson showed some flashes of why he jumped the depth chart quick, however he is young and relatively experienced on the game itself.  Outside of those two guys........?   I am not discounting that O-line being pretty mediocre doesn't help matters much, but still.

I am watching the 49ers game right now, and Garappalo for the most part throws 5 yard passes and these guys take it 15 more yards a clip.  49ers fans are so in love with Jimmy G because of what the playmakers around him are able to do.  It seemed like during the Gruden era, this franchise had an abundance of playmakers that benefit Cousins, and it was Cousins mixed play late in games that was a big factor in the team not being able to take the next step.  Now, I just don't see much around Haskins to help out with his progression as a young QB. 

If we break down the season in 4 sections, I am pretty resigned to the fact that for the time being they will need the defense to perform like this for the team to be in the situation to win games.  

I said going into the season that the team really isn't built to win now. and while the front 7 are likely going to end up getting this team a few more wins than we expected, I don't see how it happens consistently in 2020 until there is something more to offer on offense.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

How did Apke suck? He was in on a bunch of plays near the line of scrimmage, was behind the defense and did a great job with over the top help, when they stopped leaving him on an island. The play with the TE was a designed play to hold him where he was and then go outside.

Probably not the best phrasing on my end but, to your point, he wasn't good when he was put on an island. You need that from a FS so your cover guys can be a bit more aggressive

8 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

The Good:

No logo, No name... But I was still able to root and care for the team and enjoy the win.

Fandom is still great :)

I agree!  I was thinking the same thing, even when they were down.  And I'm pretty old these days, going back all the way to the spear on the helmet.  

Not a great idea to overreact based on Week 1.

That said, Ron Rivera's impact on this organization is immediately apparent. This is not a game that Jay Gruden or Mike Shanahan would have won.

I won't restate what others have said. My take is that this team goes exactly as far as Haskins can develop this year. The defense will set the table for him. He's still very green, but his attitude and composure are well along even if his skill set isn't. It's unfortunate that he doesn't have much to lean on, though.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, method man said:

I think when he speared that guy and was called for the penalty he got down a bit and I believe it was the very next play where he got burned for the TD, outside of that he seemed fine.

From Philly Inquirer

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-lose-washington-nfl-week-1-carson-wentz-greg-ward-20200913.html

They’re coming for you, Carson

That Washington defensive line, loaded with first-round draft picks, was as good as advertised, and not just against Wentz and the Eagles' passing game. On 17 rushing attempts, the Eagles managed just 57 yards. Washington doesn’t have much on offense, but that line and that pass rush will keep it in many games this season.

Don’t sleep on Kendall Fuller.  He will make an impact when he gets healthy.  He has so much experience.  He’s played on a Super Bowl winning team.  And he’s had great success here.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From Philly Inquirer

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-lose-washington-nfl-week-1-carson-wentz-greg-ward-20200913.html

They’re coming for you, Carson

That Washington defensive line, loaded with first-round draft picks, was as good as advertised, and not just against Wentz and the Eagles' passing game. On 17 rushing attempts, the Eagles managed just 57 yards. Washington doesn’t have much on offense, but that line and that pass rush will keep it in many games this season.

We don’t have much on offense but put up 27 points?  Ok Philly.

• Like 3