Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2020 running back thread.

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

6'2" 230lbs and a 4.39 and can catch like a WR. It's everything we thought Matt Jones could be. :ols:

Most sources I can find list Gibson around 6'0".  We seem to be the only ones who list him at 6'2".

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I think it’s AG’s job to lose. If he takes it and shows he can handle protections w/o issue, he could be an absolute monster. If he’s still missing assignments for the first part of the season then it’ll be more a committee approach, between AG, Barber, and McKissic. Would be surprised if all 4 are active, I expect Love to sit while he gets fully back to speed. But I think AG is their CMC. I hope so too. 

with the way out roster is structured and the new rules on inactives, we really don't need to leave him inactive.  And with the way we're going to be splitting out Gibson and McKissic, I'm not sure we'd want to.

Right now with the recent injury situation we could leave Smith, Charles, Schweitzer and Fuller inactive and the last guy we'd have to leave on the bench could be Love, James Smith Williams, Kaleke Hudson, Danny Johnson or Kamren Curl.  And I'd say the best choice would be JSW, leaving all four RBs active

@carex yeah it was just a thought. IDK, just sounded like they want to give him time. That if it was up to what they saw In TC they wouldnt have kept him. I’d love to see him out there, it would be a pleasant surprise for me. In my head he went from the #2 for a while to, I hope he makes the roster. Again, I’m just blindly extrapolating what little the reporters got to see at camp. I’m super down to have him out there. 

Right now we either have below average NFL backs, a guy that had a great Jr year but is coming off injury and has never played a down in the pros and is undersized, and a guy that everyone loves, but didn't even get many touches on a team without a 1st pick playing in front of him...........and is a converted WR. Basically, we don't have much at all. With a 2nd year QB without a lot of weapons? You have a offense that is going to really struggle. And you cut the only guy that has actually done anything in the NFL.🙄

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Right now we either have below average NFL backs, a guy that had a great Jr year but is coming off injury and has never played a down in the pros and is undersized, and a guy that everyone loves, but didn't even get many touches on a team without a 1st pick playing in front of him...........and is a converted WR. Basically, we don't have much at all. With a 2nd year QB without a lot of weapons? You have a offense that is going to really struggle. And you cut the only guy that has actually done anything in the NFL.🙄

There are worse offenses than us.  And we no longer have clueless coaches.  

• Like 3

Backs are easy come easy go AP did his thing here and our team was in shambles somehow getting worse progressively in his 2 years here. It was time for change at RB as AP was a bit too one dimensional in a league that has made passing easier than ever. 

I do one season long fantasy and Gibson was sitting there. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Most sources I can find list Gibson around 6'0".  We seem to be the only ones who list him at 6'2".

The combine results are considered gospel in the scouting ranks. Everyone measured using the same method. No fudging the results.

According to the site below he’s listed as exactly 73” or 6’ 1”.

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=30113

• Thanks 1

Found this article to be interesting perspective.

Apparently the Bucs, and Arians in particular, actually valued Barber while he was there, primarily for his ST play.

So, he just may be active on gameday, for ST purposes. Seems they expected the Bucs to pounce back on Barber, if we let him go.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2020/08/keeping-an-eye-on-peyton-barber/

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Vanguard said:

There are worse offenses than us.  And we no longer have clueless coaches.  

Overall talent/experience wise? You’re going to be hard pressed to find more than a couple worse than us.

Potential? We have quite a bit.

Our OL is going to be a significant issue at times. 

The best hope for our offense is that the playmakers shine through and break some big plays for us. That’s what will give this team a chance. Chunk yards from scheming and playmaking. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Overall talent/experience wise? You’re going to be hard pressed to find more than a couple worse than us.

Potential? We have quite a bit.

Our OL is going to be a significant issue at times. 

The best hope for our offense is that the playmakers shine through and break some big plays for us. That’s what will give this team a chance. Chunk yards from scheming and playmaking. 

While our line isn't going to be setting any records, I do think we're being a little too harsh about it. Also, our offense is not a ground and pound or run and shoot. It's lots of motion and confusion and quick hits to guys in space. I don't see us moving any piles and probably not picking up many overload blitzes too well, but we shouldn't have too very often.

• Like 2

I suspect trying to do 7 step drops is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Defenses are SO aggressive on all downs, elite edge rushers seem to be growing on trees more than ever.  Heck even Trent would get his plate handed to him by some no name guy every now and then.  OCs have not been making defenses pay by blitzing... oh not since the GIbbs era but someone has to find a way. Coaches still seem hell bent on using a RB as a blocker far more than as a receiver IMO. CT bless his heart would start in there and get crushed by a LB - succeed at his job but after see him doing it predictably enough times, why not just have a freaking OL in the backfield instead. Motion CT out and take a rusher away.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

While our line isn't going to be setting any records, I do think we're being a little too harsh about it. Also, our offense is not a ground and pound or run and shoot. It's lots of motion and confusion and quick hits to guys in space. I don't see us moving any piles and probably not picking up many overload blitzes too well, but we shouldn't have too very often.

Every year people say that. 

Every. Single. Year.

And every year we have problems. Morgan Moses holding, injuries, question marks. 

It’s a different regime, but our talent has been diminished across the front for the time being.

I like Ismael. I think he pans out long term. Christian/Moses scare me. I’m completely unsure of how to feel about anything at LG. I was comfortable with Martin but him getting third team reps, reportedly, scares me.

The motions and movement and chicanery is going to help. Especially week one. I predict we catch Philly off guard. But it’ll catch up to us and our lack of talent across the OL and lack of experience is going to show.

Some of my issues are erased if Christian develops and Charles gets healthy. Two big ifs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Every year people say that. 

Every. Single. Year.

Come on man. Get on the positivity train. Everything is pointing up for us and Turner is an insightful, exciting OC. Sure, we got up for Gruden and Shanny and Gibbs II and were let down, but are you telling me this doesn't feel different? You can't get excited for the new football team? I am. This is certainly the year standing in the way of the year we're really good, but it should be a fun and enjoyable season.

I think no one needs to pump the brakes more than me but if McKissic shows well early on, that will make it no rush at all to get Gibson into the game.

In fact with a new coach here, i expect McKissic to do well, WRT DCs on their heels to start vs unknown/new O. Even though we always hear that defenses are far ahead of offenses early in the season.  OT I do hope we have shorter/quicker play calls this year.... maybe even a reasonably sized playbook with so many greenhorns on offense.

Edited by RandyHolt
57 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Come on man. Get on the positivity train. Everything is pointing up for us and Turner is an insightful, exciting OC. Sure, we got up for Gruden and Shanny and Gibbs II and were let down, but are you telling me this doesn't feel different? You can't get excited for the new football team? I am. This is certainly the year standing in the way of the year we're really good, but it should be a fun and enjoyable season.

Thing is, I am positive about our direction. But not delusional about our holes. We are rebuilding. This team is GOING to be better than last year. Even if the record winds up the same or worse. 

The team is absolutely going the right way. But we have a ton of holes.

• Like 2