Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was 1993 the Year it All Went Wrong?

thebluefood

On 9/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, philibusters said:

Joe Gibbs first tenure, which last 12 seasons 1981-1992, was so successful, we were the premier franchise in football.   No losing seasons during those 12 seasons, one 8-8 season, 11 winning seasons including a pair of 14-2 seasons, a pair of 12-4 seasons, an 8-1 season during a strike shorten season and three Super Bowls.  I think it was natural to try to extend that run.  I think when they were extending it by getting older veterans it probably wasn't understood how free agency and the salary cap would affect a future rebuild.  I was born in 1983 and started following the team in 1990 season but I was too young to really follow the draft and what not.  I remember them talking on telecasts about the coming of free agency, but I didn't have any nuanced understanding of whether it would help or hurt Washington.  So its hard for me to say when it became apparent.  That said if the rules had not changed, I imagine Washington would have continued to have one of the highest payrolls and may have been able to avoid a  rebuild by continuing to bring in older veterans to replace the veterans that were leaving.

Gibbs went 7-9 in 88.

18 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

That is the relevant part.  Its true that the Skins were bad in the six seasons before Snyder took over, but Dan has been owner for a period nearly four times as long as that by now. The 1993-1998 period has zero bearing on the trainwreck this organization has been for the past 20 years.  

except for the stadium he inherited;   But, I hear you.  

54 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

except for the stadium he inherited;   But, I hear you.  

The stadium was put up too fast (and didn't open until after JKC had died) in a less than ideal location and had too much premium seating in the form of suite levels and a large club level which pushed the upper deck way too high compared to RFK. That said, Snyder had his hand in the deterioration of the game day experience, from the annoying music, the marginalization of the band, and the installation of the dream seats which makes lower level sideline patrons have to stand all game.

• Like 1

1993 doesn't have much resemblance to the current debacle.  1993 was more just a typical situation in which a franchise had squeezed all it could out of it's aging veteran roster, without any kind of restocking of young talent to take over behind them, but that isn't the type of problem that lasts for 20 years.  In fact, for all of Norv's faults (he definitely lasted way longer as a HC than he deserved) the 1999 team was a muffed FG attempt away from the NFC Championship, and who knows what happens if the team is handled correctly in 2000 versus Snyder-man's way.