Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Idiots WR guide to Art Monk...The true WR standard...

Playaction2Sanders

99% of us fans are aware of Monks greatness, wait no I would say maybe 70%. When we compare yesterday, today, and tomorrow's Redskin WR's to him do most of us really know what made Monk so amazing?? I was 7 when we won SB 22 with Doug Williams, 11 when Rypien lead us to SB 26. I always had a bit of an idea of how great Art was according to Redskin fan public opinion, and had witnessed some of it for myself but I didn't witness his true growth from when he came into the league to what he became.  I only witnessed the aftermath.. Until now..

Seems like a lifetime ago but, let's see...

I think the route he was most famous for was called "The Dodge". If memory serves, it was one of those multiple choice routes dictated by coverage where if QB and receiver read the coverage correctly, there was always an opening to exploit.  Pretty sure the Dodge was significant in driving his reception numbers but it wasn't necessarily a chunk play.  It was more a possession play.

He was a great blocker in the run game.  He absolutely killed Denver safety, Tony Lilley in SB 22 on one of Timmy Smith's long runs!  It happened just off camera but Dierdorf picked it up on replay and described a crushing block that left Lilley with a wicked limp in the aftermath.  Not sure Lilley came back into the game after that...

I remember feeling bad for him in SB26 after a touchdown back of the endzone was reversed.  I wanted him to have a Superbowl TD really bad but his toe was on the line by maybe 1/2-inch and it was called back, dammit!  Don't think he ever pulled in a SB TD, right?

Ultimately, he was a phenomenal possession receiver.  Not big, not fast, not flashy... Just always in the right place at the right time to pull in the ball.  Kinda like Steve Largent in a way.  Very little razzle-dazzle but record numbers in workman like fashion.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:58 AM, FuriousD said:

Ultimately, he was a phenomenal possession receiver.  Not big, not fast, not flashy... Just always in the right place at the right time to pull in the ball.  Kinda like Steve Largent in a way.  Very little razzle-dazzle but record numbers in workman like fashion.

I mean, he wasn’t plaxico burress, but the man was 6’3 210-220 and had pretty respectable speed.

But you’re right about not being flashy. Monk showed up did his job, better than pretty much anyone else who was playing at the time, and was fairly quiet about it.

47 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

I mean, he wasn’t plaxico burress, but the man was 6’3 210-220 and had pretty respectable speed.

But you’re right about not being flashy. Monk showed up did his job, better than pretty much anyone else who was playing at the time, and was fairly quiet about it.

Art Monk did things we don't usually think of as a primary part of a WRs job. Blocking for example. He also did not have a problem with making his team mates look good.

Archived