Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Washington's Ron Rivera says he has cancer, plans to continue coaching - NOW CANCER FREE!

Renegade7

On 8/26/2020 at 6:51 AM, TouchdownSkin said:

I agree.  Lost my spouse 4 months ago after being diagnosed with cancer in October.  

Best wishes to RON.

Sorry for your loss may she rest in peace, and good luck for the future.

• 1 month later...

Biggest takeaway from today’s game: Coach Rivera is hurting bad.

After seeing coach struggle just to make it through the game I think the time has come for him to make his health, not the team, his top priority.

Proton therapy wears you down. For it to be effective he needs to limit his activity and fully focus on his recovery.

He should take a reduced role during the week and spend game day either up in the coaching booth or at home with his family. There is no shame in this. 

This isn’t a one year project.   Del Rio should coach the team until he is healed however long that takes. 

We need Ron healthy, strong and alert for many years not just the next 13 weeks.

4 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

This isn’t a one year project.   Del Rio should coach the team until he is healed however long that takes. 

We need Ron healthy, strong and alert for many years not just the next 13 weeks.

Agree - I have immense respect for this man trying to gut this out, but this team isnt going to make the playoffs (probably....) or win the SB.  Get right and come back strong - worries me to see him clearly struggling out there

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My mother in law passed away from Colon cancer.  She fought it off with chemotherapy the first time. A few years later it came back ferociously and took her from the family way too soon. She was the rock of my wife's immediately family and would have been an incredible grandmother to my kids had she had the opportunity.  Anytime someone survives the evil that is cancer, it makes me smile.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:51 AM, TouchdownSkin said:

I agree.  Lost my spouse 4 months ago after being diagnosed with cancer in October.  

My chest aches a bit reading this.  It's so confusing attempting to sort out all the emotions in this life altering tragedy.  My deepest sympathy and I can only tell you to try to find something to be thankful for as your grief is so heavy.  I too lost my life long friend and mother to my children when cancer picked on her.  I treated her as my patient as well. Treatment lasted 3 years and we thought we had it beat.  That was 7 years ago when she died at home.  Just reading your post makes my heart ache.  I'm so sorry. 

Ron's got a ways to go yet.  He's doing it his way and that's always the right direction. 

• 3 months later...

Congratulations to Ron Rivera, and to his family and the doctors and nurses who shepherded him through this trying time. 

That he didn't miss a single game throughout his treatment is a testament to his strength and resolve.  We are lucky to have him leading the team we root for.

• Renegade7 changed the title to ESPN: Washington's Ron Rivera says he has cancer, plans to continue coaching - NOW CANCER FREE!

Archived