Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

So far, the only cuts which are somewhat eyebrow raising are:

S. David, who most had penciled in as a starter when they signed him and gave him a $2m signing bonus.  This is a good sign for Apke.  If they think Apke can not only start but they have enough belief in him they release the veteran backup, that's a positive sign.  

T.Quinn WR, I'm sad for Quinn, but it makes me feel better about the decision making.  Quinn just doesn't have the physical skills really needed to play WR on a competing team, and having him take a roster spot from a player who could develop is not worth it.

R.Piersbacher, this is unfortunate. Kyle smith has been pretty good at picking up role players in the 5th.  Holcomb/R.Piersbacher in 2019, and Holcomb looks like a guy who can contribute.  In 2018, Settle, who unless I missed something, is still around, and 2017, Jeremy Sprinkle, who's at least a capable backup.  Not bad for 5th round depth. 

C. Sims, which is just a wash, rinse, repeat with him.  He really needed pre-season games and to show up in them to make a case for himself.

They'll get some of the young guys over to the practice squad.  We'll see how that plays out.

Keeping Alex Smith on the 53 is an interesting move.  I think they could have gotten him to IR since he hasn't taken contact 11-11 yet.  And they could bring him back after week 3.  There has to be a reason they want to keep him on the active roster, I guess.  Maybe they put him in an isolation bubble and he becomes the emergency COVID QB.  (That's only partially a joke...)  

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Keeping Alex Smith on the 53 is an interesting move.  I think they could have gotten him to IR since he hasn't taken contact 11-11 yet.  And they could bring him back after week 3.  There has to be a reason they want to keep him on the active roster, I guess.  Maybe they put him in an isolation bubble and he becomes the emergency COVID QB.  (That's only partially a joke...)  

Might be procedural. If they IR him before the 53 man cut down, he can't practice and has to be out at least 8 weeks. Maybe they want him out on the field? Or could IR him after cut downs, but then he'd only have to be out 3 weeks.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That OL group looks bad, but that is easily the worst WR and TE group in the NFL.  One mid round gem, two late round picks, two UDFAs, and three street free agents...

This is the group that desperately needs a talent infusion from outside.

Yeah, that's the glass half empty view.  The glass half full is they have a stud #1, a really shifty and developing slot guy who we need to see more of, and a really big young guy who has stood out and has good chemistry with the QB.  At least that's a foundation you can start a rebuild with.  

What they desperately need is a second starting caliber WR. They went all-in for one in the off-season, and the horses ass chose to take less money and stay in Dallas.  They also took a run at a very good TE, but weren't willing to set the market for TE.  Shrug.  Not much you can do about that.  In the draft, they used their first pick on a generational DE talent, and they couldn't really address WR or TE early in the draft. 

So, I agree. but I think there is a foundation. 

• Like 1

I don't see a point in taking up a roster spot for Alex, keeping him doesn't fit with what Ron has told us his vision is for the team going forward.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't see a point in taking up a roster spot for Alex, keeping him doesn't fit with what Ron has told us his vision is for the team is going forward.

Wouldn't cutting him cause a massive dead cap hit?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yes people seem to keep forgetting this and in the event Haskins gets hurt I think Smith gives us a much better chance than Allen. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah it would and honestly I think every team should keep 3 QBs this year. With Covid-19 having 2 QBs this year is really dicey IMO.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Only $28,900,000. Is that massive? :P

Okay, the net is only a $8,600,000 additional cap hit as Smith is already counting $20,300,000 towards the cap. But still pretty big

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It would but we might have the space, I think we would have around $8M in cap left after cutting him ($20.3M cap hit post June 1) once we get down to the final roster.

I think there's close to $32M left of the guaranteed money we owe him, $21.4M this year and $10M next year.

If we're gonna keep 3 lets get a young QB in here and put him on the PS, someone who has a chance to make the team in the future.

Its not like Alex is leading us to the playoffs if Haskins and Allen go down.

Edited by JSSkinz
4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

No one is going to throw that much money down the drain. 

We already did, that money is like bad debt just lingering on the books.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

I thought it might come down to Johnson or Colvin for the last spot. My guess is that Stroman makes the team because, like Johnson, he is valuable on special teams. Plus, he's had a strong training camp.

The Orchard cut stings. It makes sense that it happened. Young guys and Washington vets who have positive character and can contribute in his position. But still, was an Orchard fan. 

• Like 5

The Smith thing makes complete sense to me, they want him in Haskins’ ear every step of the way and to never leave that QB room this season. It’s by far the best way he can contribute and bring value now. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The Orchard cut stings. It makes sense that it happened. Young guys and Washington vets who have positive character and can contribute in his position. But still, was an Orchard fan. 

Yeah, I was always pretty interested in Orchard's fate.  If you recall, the game where he went bonkers last season was the game against the Panthers - Rivera's last game there.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Thats that, I guess Alex's ability to mentor is worth more than a roster spot.

Understandable... when you consider the fact that QB play probably accounts for about ~50% of team success, and Alex being here is a massive help to our starting QB.  But the primary reason is likely due to the dead cap hit we'd be taking.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, I was always pretty interested in Orchard's fate.  If you recall, the game where he went bonkers last season was the game against the Panthers - Rivera's last game there.

I see what you are saying, Ron cut him out of spite. 

😉

• Haha 4