Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

don't think we can afford to cut Smith.  Maybe someone takes a flier on him as a backup?

Looking at those lists, who needs DL?  That's where we have a glut so maybe swing a trade.  I'm surprised we'd even keep nine to be honest

19 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

That was a Norv pick in his last year. 2000. What a year, so much promise, then we lose Westbrook in week 2,  with no depth at WR since we were spoiled by the fact Westbrook and Connell played all of '99, there went our passing game, Connell wasn't a #1 and our offense struggled as all defenses had to worry about was Stephen Davis.. With Samuels and Arrington I thought they played ok, that defense was a SB defense though despite the 8-8 record when you looked at them statistically. Arrington came into his own during Marty ball and I wanna say during half of the Ol'ball coaches tenure but it was a short time of dominance for him.. Gibbs comes back and Lavar's play declined hard and he was out of the league without and afterthought due to the emergence of ST and the Gregg Williams defense which made him expendable..

Our starting TE that year was Walter Rasby, which makes this year's TE group look not nearly as bad.

• Like 2

I often wonder what would have happened with the Skins if we skipped Arrington, selected Samuels at 2 and kept 12 and 24 in 2000, plus a 4th and 5th rounder.  Arrington was allowed to free lance in college, we were never a team that allowed our players to do that

59 minutes ago, carex said:

I often wonder what would have happened with the Skins if we skipped Arrington, selected Samuels at 2 and kept 12 and 24 in 2000, plus a 4th and 5th rounder.  Arrington was allowed to free lance in college, we were never a team that allowed our players to do that

Vinny Cerrato/Dan Snyder were still making the picks. We could have 1,000 picks...they would get traded for Chad Johnson.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He was hurt that year and only started 5 games, and caught 9 passes all year, in what was his final year in the league.

He was done by that time.

I'm talking about 2000. You talking about Marty's season 2001? Cause the subject was the season Lavar got drafted.. Rasby wasn't on the team in 2000..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders
4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Saadiq Charles... he participated in the first practice, hasn't participated since.  Done some side work on the rehab field but no actual practice reps.  He's a rookie coming in with no camp, OTA or preseason.  It's likely it will be at least 3 weeks AFTER he takes his first full practice rep that he'll even be ready to try and push for starting reps. 

Have they said the injury?

3 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Arrington was a linebacker.  Other than that, nice read.  Can you do a twist on this?  Take a handful of HOF DEs and then do the same comparison.  BTW, wasn't Arrington during Martyball's only year here?  Shottenheimer made our below-average defense fairly stingy ("stinjy") and made our offense even stingier.

Unfortunately, the sample size is really low.  And DVOA only goes back to mid-80's.

Derrick Thomas, drafted 4th overall by the Chiefs in 1989.   Before him, they were 25th of 28 teams.  With him as a rookie, they were 6th of 28 teams.  He's the best comparable.

For non-Edge players.  In 1990, Junior Seau with the Chargers went from 23 to 7.  In 1994, Tampa Bay was dead last in defense...but then they drafted 2 HoFer's in the 1st round and the defense went from 28 to 18.  They drafted a 3 tech (Warren Sapp) and a Tampa 2 capable MLB (Derrick Brooks).

Unfortunately lately the other HoF pass rushers recently have been drafted outside of the 1st round.  And when I say lately, what I mean is just 2 HoF players.  Michael Strahan (2nd round) and Jason Taylor (3rd round).  Looks like Strahan barely played as a rookie.

I don't really know much about some of these guys the older we go back.  Charles Haley, in 1986, helped San Francisco go from a 12th ranked D to a 2nd ranked D.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe this dude really can block. Look what he does to Ryan Kerrigan.

EDIT : On 2nd thought, that was really close to being a head shot, if it wasn't actually an illegal one.

Ouch.  Looks a little incidental (I think?)  But that was the concussion that knocked Kerrigan out of his ironman streak.

• Like 1

Really surprised, especially with all the leadership talk about AP and how the young guys should study how he approaches the game. Wonder if it looked like he lost a step or two in practices. I mean age has to catch up eventually.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1