Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

Really disappointed to hear that Sean Davis may not even make the team.  I am not a fan of Apke.  If he ends up being our starting free safety I am really concerned with our back end especially on deep coverage.  Apke is fast but has seemed lost out there in past years.  I hope he did some real growing up this past off year. 

Just now, skinsfan93 said:

Really disappointed to hear that Sean Davis may not even make the team.  I am not a fan of Apke.  If he ends up being our starting free safety I am really concerned with our back end especially on deep coverage.  Apke is fast but has seemed lost out there in past years.  I hope he did some real growing up this past off year. 

Most of the reports have Apke looking much improved so far.

57 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

His body of work in a similar system as this one and pre-injury does match though.

He’s always injured. Let’s see how it plays.

I think you guys are forgetting about Darby in his first couple years in Buffalo.  The guy was a stud.  He went to Philly and they screwed him up.  It also didn't help that he was hurt right away.  I am good with him and Fuller on the outside with Fabian backing up and Jimmy in the slot. 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I think you guys are forgetting about Darby in his first couple years in Buffalo.  The guy was a stud.  He went to Philly and they screwed him up.  It also didn't help that he was hurt right away.  I am good with him and Fuller on the outside with Fabian backing up and Jimmy in the slot. 

I've seen nowhere that say Davis may not make the team. FS2, sure, but gone? Is Curl a FS candidate, because nobody else is at all.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've seen nowhere that say Davis may not make the team. FS2, sure, but gone? Is Curl a FS candidate, because nobody else is at all.

Ive heard Curl has looked solid.  I had hoped he would be the starter.  But if Apke looks good, especially given his speed.  And I’ve heard he’s taking better angles now.  Im for it.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

Ive heard Curl has looked solid.  I had hoped he would be the starter.  But if Apke looks good, especially given his speed.  And I’ve heard he’s taking better angles now.  Im for it.

If a rookie beats out a FA, then hell yeah. Trap and Curl is cool with me. 

Still though, Collins is a lock, Everett is a lock (ST captain), so who is fighting with Davis who could play SS/FS teams? Hudson will be a LBer I think.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

From TheAthletic.  Sean Davis might not make the team.  He's apparently not just lost his starting spot to Apke, but also outshown by the rookie Kamren Curl.  Sounds like Davis just isn't making any plays whatsoever in training camp.

We got guff but many of us were confused by that signing. The dude has athleticism but has never shown he can play, Steelers fans hated watching him and Steelers beat guys talked about how overmatched he was. I’m really glad the other options on the team have pushed him out, especially bc it shows the staff is not set on going with “their guys” that they’re invested in and specifically went out and got a few months ago.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The 53 man roster stays the same.

The main differences are ; more players allowed on the PS, no restrictions of eligibility for PS for 6 of the players, more players allowed to be active on gameday, and more players can go on and off the IR the same year.

I'd stick Barber on PS actually, as one of the players who doesn't require eligibility.

I swear I read that at some point.  Must have been a proposal that didn't get passed.  Okay, well we have  basically a spot for 6 extra players so it is practically an extra roster spot.  You can carry any vet you want.  So you might cut Mike Liedtke and I doubt he gets a job anywhere else, but now you have an experienced back up Olineman at your disposal.  Or David Steinmetz, or whomever.  Nate Orchard could be a guy you might be able to keep on the PS.  Maybe even a Cam Sims.

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Barber has one of the worst YPC averages I've ever seen, he has a career average of 3.6 YPC, how is it wise keeping him over Love? 

I have a really hard time believing Love is that bad. But you're right in that there's no real point of keeping Barber. You can always find a Barber like player out there. Probably Barber himself will be readily available if you need him. I'd at least like to see Love get some game action first. The lack of pre-season hurts in this regard

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If a rookie beats out a FA, then hell yeah. Trap and Curl is cool with me. 

Still though, Collins is a lock, Everett is a lock (ST captain), so who is fighting with Davis who could play SS/FS teams? Hudson will be a LBer I think.

Curl and they only take four safeties apparently.  Curl plays ST and they said he can play corner too.  I think there is a chance we only carry 10 DBs on the 53 so that we can keep one of our extra ends or linebackers.  Fuller being able to play safety helps us carry four.

Feels like Davis is competing with Reuben Foster, Brailford, and the DE we drafted from NC State for the last roster spot on defense.

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I have a really hard time believing Love is that bad. But you're right in that there's no real point of keeping Barber. You can always find a Barber like player out there. Probably Barber himself will be readily available if you need him. I'd at least like to see Love get some game action first. The lack of pre-season hurts in this regard

I agree with this entirely. Barber is the definition of replacement level. We can have one off the street any time. Shoot. I don't think we should sign Fournette, but he's miles better than Barber. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I don’t think people are reading all the replies. :ols:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One worry is there is some talk we lose a draft pick as punishment for the sexual harassment issues -- that would be devastating if so especially if its a high pick. 

That's a nightmare outcome.  Is there a precedent for stripping draft picks for non football transgressions though?  I thought that kind of punishment was reserved for cheating or tampering or setting up bounties.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's a nightmare outcome.  Is there a precedent for stripping draft picks for non football transgressions though?  I thought that kind of punishment was reserved for cheating or tampering or setting up bounties.

Having a POS in charge shouldn’t warrant team punishment. It should warrant owner punishment. Such as forced removal. 

It’s not the players, coaches, most of the franchise’s employees that are at fault for the owners transgressions...

If this plays out, I don’t expect the NFL to punish the franchise, but the league, the employees of the franchise including Wright, and sponsors will go after Snyder. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Curl and they only take four safeties apparently.  Curl plays ST and they said he can play corner too.  I think there is a chance we only carry 10 DBs on the 53 so that we can keep one of our extra ends or linebackers.  Fuller being able to play safety helps us carry four.

Feels like Davis is competing with Reuben Foster, Brailford, and the DE we drafted from NC State for the last roster spot on defense.

Good point on Fuller.  They've said how pleasantly surprised they've been with the CB depth, so I could definitely see them feeling comfortable with Apke as the only true "FS" on the roster. If Apke gets injured, and assuming Davis is gone, they likely move Fuller to FS, Moreland to outside CB and Stroman to Nickel (it seems like Stroman has surpassed Moreau on the depth chart from what I've seen/heard).

It's still a bit dangerous though, because we'd be in trouble at CB if and when Darby gets injured.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

That, and Fuller did not exactly play well at safety. But it is true that he can help there in a pinch. 

What makes you think he didn't play well at safety?  From my understanding, the only position he struggled at in KC was slot CB.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What makes you think he didn't play well at safety?  From my understanding, the only position he struggled at in KC was slot CB.

Maybe I’m getting my wires crossed, or misremembering what I read about his time in KC. He was obviously a stud slot CB here. I thought where KC went wrong was moving him to FS when they had injuries there, and that it didn’t go well for him. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Maybe I’m getting my wires crossed, or misremembering what I read about his time in KC. He was obviously a stud slot CB here. I thought where KC went wrong was moving him to FS when they had injuries there, and that it didn’t go well for him. 

From what I've read and from talking to KC fans, he was struggling at slot CB last year before he got injured.  His replacement ended up performing a lot better than he did, so when Fuller was healthy again, he was relegated to a backup CB role for a few games before their starting FS - Thornhill - got injured late in the year.  That's when they moved Fuller to FS and he performed much better there, where he had the game-sealing INT in the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

From what I've read and from talking to KC fans, he was struggling at slot CB last year before he got injured.  His replacement ended up performing a lot better than he did, so when Fuller was healthy again, he was relegated to a backup CB role for a few games before their starting FS - Thornhill - got injured late in the year.  That's when they moved Fuller to FS and he performed much better there, where he had the game-sealing INT in the Super Bowl. 

I don't know about this, Fenton took his place and he is a CB not a safety.  I heard they stuck him at safety after he lost his spot at CB, this article kind of backs that up.

https://kckingdom.com/2019/11/21/kendall-fuller-disappointing-kansas-city-chiefs/