Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter Green, 73, Fleetwood Mac blues guitarist

LadySkinsFan

Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac fame has passed. He was 73. Since Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite bands in all of their configurations, I was playing them today while going to the farmers market. Future Games and Mystery to Me. Then Play On is one of my all time favorite albums. 

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/peter-green-fleetwood-mac-dead-dies-1234716489/

Also, found out today that one of my classmates died just recently. It's hitting home people.

Sadly a couple months ago I was talking to a guitar buddy about Les Paul's. I mentioned how Gary Moore's Greenie LP was one the best sounding tones I've heard. He asked if I ever heard Peter Green play it? I hadn't. so he sent me some of Peter Green links. Crazy good stuff. 

As much as people have made Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd a legend in his demise, Green was greater. He and Jeremy Spencer both took some kind of super acid at a party in Germany - they had been lured there by someone who Mick Fleetwood described as the hottest girl he had ever seen. Both were out of it for a couple days, and both shortly after went nuts. 

A few memories inspired by Peter Green...

When I was in college our band used to do Something Inside of Me, which I learned only recently was actually more Danny Kirwan than Green. Later on, another band I was in did Stop Messing Round.  When I went with friends to see Aerosmith in concert, the most kick-ass number of the night was Joe Perry singing Stop Messing Round - it was great!  There were a number of his solos I took to learning, like the previous two as well as Steady Rolling Man and others.

Back when I was building guitars, I designed my premier pickup set based partially on what I had read about the neck pickup in the Les Paul that Green played and later gave to Gary Moore.  The original neck pickup in his guitar had been damaged, and the guy who repaired it apparently wasn't all up on guitar tech - he rewound it with formvar wire rather than the original enamel insulation wire, and he put the magnet in backwards so that when the two pickups were played together they were out of phase. This is in part what gave him such a unique tone. As Bob Ross would say - not a mistake, just a happy accident.  I built a neck pickup using slightly overwound formvar and an Alnico 4 magnet and paired it with an overwound bridge pickup and an Alnico 8 magnet and called the set "The Supernatural" in reference to the Peter Green classic that Gary Moore covered.

Back in the early days of Extremeskins, someone started a thread on "What are your favorite cover songs?" Among others, I mentioned Santana's Black Magic Woman. ... which was followed by about a page and a half of posters mocking me for apparently not understanding the thread title.  One poster whom I was particularly fond of ( who is long gone now) remarked -"I don't want to lick a guy when he's down, but..." Initially I didn't get the sarcasm and explained that I absolutely loved the Fleetwood Mac version, but I thought the Santana cover did some cool things with it (apparently so did Peter Green, who after hearing Santana's version decided the band had to go beyond just imitating blues standards - Black Magic Woman was really just a reworking of Otis Rush's classic All Your Loving with chord substitution). Anyway, one poster immediately railed into me saying Santana did the song originally, and he had never heard of Fleetwood Mac doing a cover of it...this was before the days of being able to embed YouTube on the site. Finally I realized the problem, provided a list of who originally did various "Santana" songs first, and ended with, "if you don't believe me, look it up!"

Still, there was one even more egregious incident, this time involving my wife! I was listening to Shannon Curfman on our Amazon echo, and she did a weird remake of Oh Well.  I started singing along with the words, and my wife said "I can't believe you are singing a Joe Jackson song!" (Yes, she was serious) ...Ever heard the Bill Burr joke about it's not that there's never any reason to smack a woman, you just never ever do it.... (yes I am joking; no outrage please)

On 7/25/2020 at 5:09 PM, ShredSkins said:

Sadly a couple months ago I was talking to a guitar buddy about Les Paul's. I mentioned how Gary Moore's Greenie LP was one the best sounding tones I've heard. He asked if I ever heard Peter Green play it? I hadn't. so he sent me some of Peter Green links. Crazy good stuff. 

Kirk Hammett now owns that guitar and plays it during Whiskey in the Jar during Metallica's concerts. 

Archived