Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

Watched the E60 special again after the announcement.

Unless I misunderstood or did not hear it correctly, in the special his Dr (or maybe it was the team doc) said he would never be able to move his ankle up and down again because of the missing calf muscle.

The motion kinda jives with the video of him getting sprayed by champagne. The way my wife described it is he looks like he is trying to walk with a flipper on his foot and to me that was an apt description. If you couldn't move your ankle up and down it would be like trying to walk with a flipper.

Don't know, but good for him. Personally I think he's ****ing crazy but ...

18 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Those teams were stacked, Denver had already been to 2 Superbowls and was making the playoffs every year and Oakland had only missed the playoffs 3 times since the 1966 season prior to that Superbowl.

Broncos had only made the playoffs in 3 of the 7 seasons before Elway won the SB at 37 years old.

Raiders had only made the playoffs in 2 of the 5 seasons before Plunkett won his SB.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

Watched the E60 special again after the announcement.

Unless I misunderstood or did not hear it correctly, in the special his Dr (or maybe it was the team doc) said he would never be able to move his ankle up and down again because of the missing calf muscle.

The motion kinda jives with the video of him getting sprayed by champagne. The way my wife described it is he looks like he is trying to walk with a flipper on his foot and to me that was an apt description. If you couldn't move your ankle up and down it would be like trying to walk with a flipper.

Don't know, but good for him. Personally I think he's ****ing crazy but ...

I've seen him drop back to pass in his personal training videos.

The joints looked to move perfectly normal to me, in a football/quarterback context, which seems more reliable than this video. Because if you're being sprayed awkwardly, you'll probably move awkwardly

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Broncos had only made the playoffs in 3 of the 7 seasons before Elway won the SB at 37 years old.

Raiders had only made the playoffs in 2 of the 5 seasons before Plunkett won his SB.

The Raiders missed the playoffs in 1978, 1979, and 1981, they made the playoffs every year going back to 1967 besides those three years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Las_Vegas_Raiders_seasons.

During Elway's era the Broncos only missed the playoffs in 1985, 1988, 1990, 1994, and 1995, he played 15 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Denver_Broncos_seasons

Those franchises were packed with talent and we're winning consistently, that was my main point, we stink and they didn't, therefore it's not an apples to apples.

Another thing I wanted to point out on the alleged video of him, performing illegal motion with his legs, that the fans flagged him for, is this.

It may or may not be a factor.

But if you consider he's a father, playing around goofily with his very young children, it's not uncommon for parents to "mimic" their children in those situations.

In other words, the kids are being goofy or silly, so the father moves around likewise.

That could give the impression that he's involuntarily walking gingerly

39 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The Raiders missed the playoffs in 1978, 1979, and 1981, they made the playoffs every year going back to 1967 besides those three years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Las_Vegas_Raiders_seasons.

During Elway's era the Broncos only missed the playoffs in 1985, 1988, 1990, 1994, and 1995, he played 15 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Denver_Broncos_seasons

Those franchises were packed with talent and we're winning consistently, that was my main point, we stink and they didn't, therefore it's not an apples to apples.

1) The Raiders also missed in 1971, so it was 4 times, not 3. But that wasn't my point. My point was that three of those years they missed the playoffs occurred in the 5 years before Plunkett won it at age 36 or whatever age he was.

2) The Broncos also missed the playoffs in 1992, so it would be 1990, 1992, 1994 and 1995. But that wasn't my point. My point was that you saying The Broncos were "making the playoffs every year" leading up to Elway's SB win at 37 or whatever age he was, was most definitely incorrect. Three times out of 7 years is not "every year".

8 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I guess we will see soon. 

Maybe.  Maybe not. 

I don't think he can protect himself.  He certainly can't avoid getting away from pressure.  He'd already be in the mix if he could.  He's not in the rotation for reps.  He's on the sideline and might not get passed this point.   Very solid reasons why he should remain on the sideline.  Possible that a conclusion is somewhere in the range of qb3 to Injury Settlement/Retirement. 

Just believe all this feel good story is mainly semantics.  3 years of guaranteed money has brought him to this point. 

55 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Q

I don't think he can protect himself. 

What does this mean? 

This has become common speak amongst people. 

25 minutes ago, wit33 said:

What does this mean? 

This has become common speak amongst people. 

A quarterback has to be able to make very twitchy (so to speak) movement in and around and outside of the pocket to avoid huge hits.

There's always at least 4 huge athletic freaks trying to dismember him on every passing play.

Hopefully he can move around fast enough to avoid hits but If Alex can't at the very least be able to put his body into a position to absorb hits in a manner that keeps him from getting injured then that is what is meant by not being able to protect himself. 

Time will tell if he's right but I wasn't Hopeful watching the video either.

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Maybe.  Maybe not. 

I don't think he can protect himself.  He certainly can't avoid getting away from pressure.  He'd already be in the mix if he could.  He's not in the rotation for reps.  He's on the sideline and might not get passed this point.   Very solid reasons why he should remain on the sideline.  Possible that a conclusion is somewhere in the range of qb3 to Injury Settlement/Retirement. 

Just believe all this feel good story is mainly semantics.  3 years of guaranteed money has brought him to this point. 

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

A quarterback has to be able to make very twitchy (so to speak) movement in and around and outside of the pocket to avoid huge hits.

There's always at least 4 huge athletic freaks trying to dismember him on every passing play.

Hopefully he can move around fast enough to avoid hits but If Alex can't at the very least be able to put his body into a position to absorb hits in a manner that keeps him from getting injured then that is what is meant by not being able to protect himself. 

Time will tell if he's right but I wasn't Hopeful watching the video either.

How twitchy does he need to be exactly ?

There's 2 ends of the spectrum - Lamar Jackson and Jim Plunkett (giving me a little margin of error)

I bet that even with his twitching limitations, he still would not be anywhere near being the least mobile NFL QB.

Only one portion of his body has the limitation. He can certainly use the rest of the body to be shifty enough to avoid a big hit.

As long as it does not affect his ability to plant his feet for his throwing motion and torque, then I don't think it necessarily prevents him from playing well.

He certainly would not be the first non-mobile QB in the league

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

How twitchy does he need to be exactly ?

There's 2 ends of the spectrum - Lamar Jackson and Jim Plunkett (giving me a little margin of error)

I bet that even with his twitching limitations, he still would not be anywhere near being the least mobile NFL QB.

Only one portion of his body has the limitation. He can certainly use the rest of the body to be shifty enough to avoid a big hit.

As long as it does not affect his ability to plant his feet for his throwing motion and torque, then I don't think it necessarily prevents him from playing well.

He certainly would not be the first non-mobile QB in the league

I figured someone might jump on that word in particular if I used it.

Forget the word twitchy, a quarterback needs to be able to move around (even the least mobile ones) to avoid hits and they need to be able to absorb hits.

I dont know whats going to happen with Alex and how much of his mobility he'll regain i was just trying to explain what "protecting yourself" meant.

I'm not confident that he'll regain enough of his mobility at his age and the severity of his injury but I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, goskins10 said:

While cutting him would result in $32M dead cap, it would only reduce the cap by $8M. About $24M is already counted in the CAP. 

Gah, I must have been tired. I don’t know why I stacked an additional 30+ million when we are already paying him this yr. My bad on that one.

Zombie lost one too many fingers and toes. It’s had to count numbies now. I can only go up to 3.

Where did you get the cost of 8 mil from? Wouldn’t it be an additional 10.8 mil to cut him now due to his 5.4 mil signing bonus in 2021 n 2022? Am I missing an 8 Mil charge somewhere?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Gah, I must have been tired. I don’t know why I stacked an additional 30+ million when we are already paying him this yr. My bad on that one.

Zombie lost one too many fingers and toes. It’s had to count numbies now. I can only go up to 3.

Where did you get the cost of 8 mil from? Wouldn’t it be an additional 10.8 mil to cut him now due to his 5.4 mil signing bonus in 2021 n 2022? Am I missing an 8 Mil charge somewhere?

No worries. We all make mistakes.

I got it from Overthecap as the "Cap Savings' is -$8.6M. So that means cutting him would cost an additional $8.6M to the CAP. The dead money is a different calculation. His Dead Money would be $28.9M = $16M salary (2020) + $4.3M Prorated Bonus (2020) + $8.6M prorated Bonus (2021 and 2022).  But the additional CAP is just the prorated bonus money for 2021 and 2022 - $8.6. This also happens to be the amount left of the gauranteed money. His signing bonus was part of the gauranteed money but the salaries for 2021 and 2022 were not. So they do not add to the dead after this year, only the prorated bonus.

See below. 

image.thumb.png.01b8cfc8bfe50ee78e762e7d55873004.png

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

So they do not add to the dead after this year, only the prorated bonus.

Oof. Always get me with the little details when I'm not paying attention.

That's how they got me to re-finance my gravesite. Worst decision of my after-life (Zombie Pun)

• Haha 2

The more I think about it, I think Alex should make the team simply because he’s a veteran and had a great relationship with Haskins. He may never play another down for us but he could be our #3 with the FA rookie being out on the practice squad. There was talk about how helpful he was for DH so doing that while on the field could go a long way toward his development. 

20 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

The more I think about it, I think Alex should make the team simply because he’s a veteran and had a great relationship with Haskins. He may never play another down for us but he could be our #3 with the FA rookie being out on the practice squad. There was talk about how helpful he was for DH so doing that while on the field could go a long way toward his development. 

If he is really just here to be a coach then make him a coach (which I would love to see BTW) and save the roster spot for someone who can contribute. I think it's moot though. He will be on the team but not play unless there is really no choice. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If he is really just here to be a coach then make him a coach (which I would love to see BTW) and save the roster spot for someone who can contribute. I think it's moot though. He will be on the team but not play unless there is really no choice. 

I was also concerned with taking up a roster spot but if he's getting paid that much and they're not wiling to release him then he's an inactive QB3 I guess.  I'd only be surprised if he actually gets full speed reps as they'd be assuming huge risk for virtually no reward.

15 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Kudos to Alex for all his hard work but I’ll be massively disappointed if he ends up playing another snap for us behind center.

Hell no. I want him to step back on the field and throw a pass. Just so the guy can say he did play some football.

I understand what you mean, but the best thing you can do is send the guy on the field in some garbage time (be it over/under, doesn't matter).

Smith really deserves to see the field at least once, just for the beauty of it.

11 hours ago, redskinss said:

I'm pretty sure a few guys here and there would try to hurt him even more.

But I believe almost 95% of all DL would play full speed safe football on Smith and do their best to knock him without hurting him.

Though, If I'm Rivera, I wouldn't put Smith out there against Suh, especially when our Left side of the Line is a huge question mark.

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm pretty sure a few guys here and there would try to hurt him even more.

But I believe almost 95% of all DL would play full speed safe football on Smith and do their best to knock him without hurting him.

Though, If I'm Rivera, I wouldn't put Smith out there against Suh, especially when our Left side of the Line is a huge question mark.

It was intended as a figure of speech, not to suggest that guys would be head hunting or trying to sweep the leg.

If Alex's bone is as strong as any other healthy leg bone and his leg is under no more danger than anyone else out there that's great.

If not he should hang up the cleats and call it a career.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Hell no. I want him to step back on the field and throw a pass. Just so the guy can say he did play some football.

I understand what you mean, but the best thing you can do is send the guy on the field in some garbage time (be it over/under, doesn't matter).

Smith really deserves to see the field at least once, just for the beauty of it.

Alright. I can agree with that. So i'll rephrase. Kudos to Smith and his amazing comeback but I hope he never has to start another game for us again. 

Better?