Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

43 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

"You look like you have your cereal with energy drinks”.

Well....do you? I think we all need to know.

28 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Starting a 36 yr old QB coming off a compound fracture is stupid, especially when you drafted a guy in the top 15 last year and you have no idea if he can lead this team going forward.

Counterpoint:

If the Top 15 draft pick can't beat out the 36 year old QB coming off a career-ending type of compound fracture (who also hasn't played a snap in 20 months) in training camp, do we really think he's going to be our answer at QB?

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

If the Top 15 draft pick can't beat out the 36 year old QB coming off a career-ending type of compound fracture (who also hasn't played a snap in 20 months) in training camp, do we really think he's going to be our answer at QB?

Two coaches and two offense in 2 years for Dwayne, Alex has years of experience on him so when it comes to the X's and O's Dwayne will never beat out Smith.

If Alex is healthy he'll win the starting job, but that should be expected from a savoy vet IF he is healthy.

My point is that does nothing for us, he's not leading this team to the promised land and Dwayne needs reps.

Its nothing more than a good story and you'll be going into the 3rd year of Dwayne's contract not knowing how good he.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, skinsfan93 said:

The team pumping him up could be for trade purposes and to get his salary off the books. 

Considering his salary, in what possible scenario would another team trade for Alex Smith?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

.when all they really needed to do was put some flip flops on him, spray him down with cider, and then watch him walk for 5 seconds to determine if he's healthy enough to play or not. What a waste of time.

There's a big difference between being healthy enough to play and being healthy enough to be successful. 

Just because he was cleared to play ( and im not suggesting he shouldn't have been) doesn't mean he's back to his old self.

That video would seem to indicate he's heavily favoring that leg ( not that it wasn't to be expected after what he went through) and that's usually not a recipe for success at playing one of the most grueling sports known to man at the highest level that exists.

I think of it this way.  If Haskins is truly the future, he should win the job. If a 36 year old Alex Smith, with all that he's been through, pushes him aside then he's a bust.  Go with Smith and hope that Trevor Lawrence lands in your lap.

John Elway didn't win his first Super Bowl until he was 37.

And did it again at 38.

Jim Plunkett was 37 when he beat the Redskins to become Super Bowl champs. Brady did it at 41. And so on.

QB age doesn't mean a whole lot.

Some of them improve with age, like wine.

And how old is our starting RB ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I mean as far the alex smith situation, it's awesome to see where he is now as to where he was after surgery and what have ya..I mean talks of possible life lost?..how scary..as far as him being the qb week 1..that's for the coaching staff to decide..let go and let god I guess 

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And did it again at 38.

Jim Plunkett was 37 when he beat the Redskins to become Super Bowl champs. Brady did it at 41.

Thank you!!!...some forget a. smith and Peterson had this team at 6-2..6-3?....yeah I remember plenty of plays that alex had me scratching my head..hell the game he had the injury..remember the pick 6 for 140 yards..should had been a td if smith had done the right thing..but him and 26 had the team at a positive record..just give me football!!..2-4/2-5 and the team takes off..7 game win streak 

Edited by bakedtater1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, kfrankie said:

I think of it this way.  If Haskins is truly the future, he should win the job. If a 36 year old Alex Smith, with all that he's been through, pushes him aside then he's a bust.  Go with Smith and hope that Trevor Lawrence lands in your lap.

I think of it this way..if haskins wins the starting job than good on him..we all no it ain't snyder making the decision that's for sure..

2 hours ago, michiskin said:

Considering his salary, in what possible scenario would another team trade for Alex Smith?

Injuries happen.

The contact is not as big a factor as it seems. If he has a straight line to starting, he may agree to restructure. Similar to when we traded for Keenum. We basically gave that dude a box of donuts. I think he had a contract for like 18 mil, we only paid like 3.5 mil.

Even without a restructure, it is still doable. The receiving team does not have to pay the entirety of a deal.

Smith is due 21 mil this yr, but 5 ½ of that is signing bonus which I’ll bet has already been paid to him. That leaves about 16 mil in base salary. That is a lot more palatable. If Wash really wants to get it done, they could even agree to pay more of his salary.

Just depends on how much money Wash is willing to stomach. That is something Zombie has a lot of XP in.

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And did it again at 38.

Jim Plunkett was 37 when he beat the Redskins to become Super Bowl champs. Brady did it at 41.

Those teams were stacked, Denver had already been to 2 Superbowls and was making the playoffs every year and Oakland had only missed the playoffs 3 times since the 1966 season prior to that Superbowl.

We have a below average/average O line and almost all of our talent is young and unproven.

I respect the positivity but I would rather Dwayne crash and burn before Alex takes the field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Those teams were stacked, Denver had already been to 2 Superbowls and was making the playoffs every year and Oakland had only missed the playoffs 3 times since the 1966 season prior to that Superbowl.

We have a below average/average O line and almost all of our talent is young and unproven.

I respect the positivity but I would rather Dwayne crash and burn before Alex takes the field.

I respect this post..I get where you're coming from..haskins the future and all...maybe...if the coaches believe its the best choice(to start Smith)than why not roll with it?

Finally watched the video that’s making everyone a medical expert. Wtf? He looks like anyone else casually getting sprayed with champagne. In fact he’s putting plenty of weight on his bad leg and looks to be almost lazily, goofily tromping around on it as he turns, he looks pretty damn normal. Not limping or keeping weight off it at all. What are you all smoking? I don’t want to ever see him start here again, but I think you guys are just seeing what you want to see in that video. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I respect this post..I get where you're coming from..haskins the future and all...maybe...if the coaches believe its the best choice(to start Smith)than why not roll with it?

Because what does that get us? 5-6 wins? Maybe 7? Yes, we were 6-3 when Smith went down. We beat one over-.500 team. We got pasted by the Saints and the mediocre Falcons. We topped 24 points once--over the terrible Packers. It was a mirage.

It's funny we preach patience, and not going for the quick fix. And then we immediately start talking about Alex Smith and OBJ and...quick fixes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Finally watched the video that’s making everyone a medical expert. Wtf? He looks like anyone else casually getting sprayed with champagne. In fact he’s putting plenty of weight on his bad leg and looks to be almost lazily, goofily tromping around on it as he turns, he looks pretty damn normal. Not limping or keeping weight off it at all. What are you all smoking? I don’t want to ever see him start here again, but I think you guys are just seeing what you want to see in that video. 

I don't know about anyone else, but seeing the odd bend in his leg makes me cringe at the thought of him playing again.  Every time he gets hit hard now is going to be a hold your breath moment.  He has to get out while he's still ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't know about anyone else, but seeing the odd bend in his leg makes me cringe at the thought of him playing again.  Every time he gets hit hard now is going to be a hold your breath moment.  He has to get out while he's still ahead.

I agree, was merely commenting on the people who said he looked like he could barely move or support his weight on that leg, I didn’t see that at all.

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Because what does that get us? 5-6 wins? Maybe 7? Yes, we were 6-3 when Smith went down. We beat one over-.500 team. We got pasted by the Saints and the mediocre Falcons. We topped 24 points once--over the terrible Packers. It was a mirage.

It's funny we preach patience, and not going for the quick fix. And then we immediately start talking about Alex Smith and OBJ and...quick fixes.

Obj..is he on the trading block?..lots o talk about him round these parts

49 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This was also in the era where a player wasn't leaving your team until he either decided to not play in the NFL any longer or the team decided it didn't want him.

3 hours ago, michiskin said:

You’re probably right it could be wishful thinking but you never know. Imagine if we could get his contract off the books. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not to mention, noone walks "normal" when they're getting sprayed by 5 champagne bottles, surrounding them on every side.

I would not consider this video to be a "scouting report"